Lisandro Martinez | Man Utd player - Contract till 2027, with the option to extend for a further year

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
He was your POTY? :houllier:
@AjaxCunian
He was. Although not our best player. Antony is. But he was injured for a while. Same for Mazraoui who also had an insane season. Martinez was our most consistent player though, with Tadic. He did deserve POTY.

Timber definitely is not much better. For me Martinez is better than Timber at his point. He is more consistant, more agressive, stronger physically and in air and has better passing. Timber is quicker and a better dribbler. But all together I think United got the better one now. Timber may have the higher ceiling, depends on how he'll develop.

TheReligion

Abusive
Uh, no? The 11th most expensive defender ever is one of the most expensive defenders ever.

And whether it’s 8th, 11th, 15th doesn’t matter all that much, it still makes it a mouth watering fee for a player like that
What’s the cut off for using that term then for the record? Obviously not top ten. Anyone in the top twenty?

UnitedFire

Sounds like @UnitedFire in his playing days
Ouch.. Harsh but fair!

I was an incredible footballer in my Sunday league days.... Incredibly average!

If Pogba ran more, but was equally unpreductive that would describe me. Moments of brilliance that could get me in the team, but mostly a bit disappointing.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
What’s the cut off for using that term then for the record? Obviously not top ten. Anyone in the top twenty?
Wel, that depends on the numbers, surely? There have been tens of thousands of defenders transferred across assocation football, right? So being 11th out of all that feels worthy of being called one of the most expensive ever?

But I mean if I called you the 11th biggest c*** on redcafe I dunno if that'd make you one of the biggest ones, cause it's a much smaller overall pool.

Anyway, I digress, I don't know why you're clinging on to this so much. He is objectively, one of the most expensive defenders ever purchased. What's the problem with labelling him that? You said it was a fair fee, has realizing that he was incredibly expensive vs other defenders has made you doubt that?

I can't wait to see him play for us, by the way. It was crazy money but hopefully ETH knows what he's doing and he turns out to be a better purchase than all our other failed defenders were!

AndyMUFC

Don't know why people don't think we needed a CB. Bailly and Varane can't be trusted to stay fit and we're then left with Lindelof and Maguire who are a disaster waiting to happen when they play as a pair.

I've not seen much of Martinez but we definitely lack aggression and passing ability at the back so if he has those qualities it will be a plus. Don't see his height on its own being much of a problem in modern football personally, it's more how he adapts to the league as a whole.

It'll be interesting to see how it actually works if Varane stays fit, because the thought of him being benched for Maguire is madness. Could we try him as a DM? Of course that depends on Varane staying consistently fit though which is a huge question mark.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
Ouch.. Harsh but fair!

I was an incredible footballer in my Sunday league days.... Incredibly average!

If Pogba ran more, but was equally unpreductive that would describe me. Moments of brilliance that could get me in the team, but mostly a bit disappointing.
Ha ha I’m only playing :)

TheReligion

Abusive
Wel, that depends on the numbers, surely? There have been tens of thousands of defenders transferred across assocation football, right? So being 11th out of all that feels worthy of being called one of the most expensive ever?

But I mean if I called you the 11th biggest c*** on redcafe I dunno if that'd make you one of the biggest ones, cause it's a much smaller overall pool.

Anyway, I digress, I don't know why you're clinging on to this so much. He is objectively, one of the most expensive defenders ever purchased. What's the problem with labelling him that? You said it was a fair fee, has realizing that he was incredibly expensive vs other defenders has made you doubt that?

I can't wait to see him play for us, by the way. It was crazy money but hopefully ETH knows what he's doing and he turns out to be a better purchase than all our other failed defenders were!
TBH I’d hope to be lower than 11th on that list.

Livid. Who are my rivals?

DevTheRed

Compared to Maguire for £80m and Ben White for £50m I think it’s a reasonable price, maybe a tad overpriced but clearly the manager wanted him so we made it happen.

Fts 74

Don't know too much about him but if ETH wanted him that's good enough for me.

Seems a lot of money for a CB but I've no doubt he's better than most of what we have now.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Let’s get real, he’s not been signed to be backup. He’s been signed because he’s crucial to how this system works and the coach has identified that the CBs are not good enough. The question is who plays alongside him at CB
We’ll see, I mean I think he is only at the club because Timber said no so saying he is that crucial is debatable. We’ll see how it pans out. Maguire is the captain so at least likely to start the season, is Varne gonna be benched off the mark? Again seems unlikely. Personally I think Martinez will get his shot if one of those two get injured or perform badly at the start of the season.

Donut

So is he an aggressively smart player or aggressively stupid like Rojo was?

UnitedFire

Aggressively short
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The irony is among the joke this is bang on as a description. His ball winning stats in the air are some of the best in Europe. He is better in the air than Maguire despite that making no sense!

Stevie Wonder

Supports
Ajax
fee of up to €67.37 m (official Ajax statement).
we got robbed once again :lol:
I have watched every game of Martinez at Ajax. He is fast and clever but he will not succeed in the Premier League. The English league is more physical than the Dutch league (Eredivisie). Martinez simply lacks the strength and height to compete against the top class strikers in the Premier League.

Erik Ten Hag has a habit of bringing in players he has worked with before. He has done the same when he became the head coach of Ajax. He brought in Labyad and Klaiber from his previous club FC Utrecht. Both of them were very underwhelming and did not succeed at Ajax. I'm afraid that history is going to repeat itself and that the same is going to happen with Martinez at Manchester United.

Stevie Wonder

Supports
Ajax
Decent singing. Again strange in that we have signed 3 players and none are for sure starters.

Time will tell on that front.

Fee is crazy though
Erik Ten Hag is going to start with him. I'm 100% sure. I am not stating that Ten Hag should start with Martinez in the first eleven. But Ten Hag will put Martinez in the starting eleven, no doubt in my mind.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Guy is basically my exact size, and I can tell you all, I wouldn't make it in the EPL.
Yeah but if you were any good at football, you would be away on a pre season tour, not talking nonsense on the CAF. :lol:

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Makes sense to sign current or former Ajax players during this first window, but I hope ETH starts scouting elsewhere for 2023-24.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
By page 7 of this thread I had to look his height up to make sure we hadnt signed a 5-1 centre back.
Basically same height as Baresa and Cannavaro. If it was all about height we already have Slabhead.

Chief123

Guy is basically my exact size, and I can tell you all, I wouldn't make it in the EPL.
I’m 6 foot and wouldn’t make it in the EPL either. Probably due to the same reason as you which is we’re both shit.

FatTails

Compared to Maguire for £80m and Ben White for £50m I think it’s a reasonable price, maybe a tad overpriced but clearly the manager wanted him so we made it happen.
You’re going to find every deal, ever, a bargain compared to that one.