Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Compared to other defenders in the Dutch league.
That's very promising. The players immediately around him in that chart (Van der Hoorn, Marquez, Doekhi, Pröpper) are all 6'3". Must have excellent positioning and timing for aerial duels... maybe a bit of Roberto Ayala shithousing as well :lol:

croadyman

Timing won't matter when big Chris Wood uses him as a launch pad. He'll be starting at the big man in wonder the way year 7s look at year 11s.
Still see a real possibility of him playing at CDM where we are facing big presence strikers

Stacks

Such disrespect of all the short kings.
hes close to my height. That's wild
Same reason the two other CBs we were most linked with were statistically worse in the air than Martinez despite being taller. Namely, aerial ability isn't the priority in terms what we need from a new CB.

Martinez is good at other more important things (to our team) than being aerially dominant. But is nonetheless still better in the air than other options we were looking at, because height isn't the same as aerial ability.
Maybe but perhaps it should be a priority in the premier league unless we hope to have the ball 70% of the time

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
hes close to my height. That's wild

Maybe but perhaps it should be a priority in the premier league unless we hope to have the ball 70% of the time
I would think that's pretty much exactly the plan.

A team like City (who defend in a similar way) enjoyed 68.5% possession in the league last season. Meanwhile ETH's Ajax enjoyed 66.6% in their league, which would have been second only to City in the PL. I would imagine the goal is for us to dominate the ball to a similar extent.

Aeryis

This is a good point actually, everyone fussing about Lisandro's height, they forget HE'S GOING TO BE WEARING SHOES WHEN HE PLAYS. So what's the big deal. People can be so stupid.
I'm pretty sure 1.75 is on the higher end of his possible height. Looking at him on the pitch he doesn't look as tall as other 1.75 players like Neymar.

On regards to him playing CDM, i doubt it. Looked at his videos and there's suspicious lack of lateral and vertical movement with the ball. Doesn't seem to do a lot of dribbling and ball carrying either. Although he looks to be quite the phenomenal passer, he certainly doesn't look like he has enough skills to be a midfielder. You need a lot more than passing to excel at the position. Probably why the lad is a CB and not a midfielder in his mid 20s.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I am far more excited by this than Frankie de Jong. Lisandro is amazing.

What I worry about, however is - we have no reliable striker. Especially if Ronaldo leaves (which seems likely). But even if he stays, we need a backup, he can't play all matches, and Martial is utter shit. We've watched Martial for enough years to know that he is hopelessly unreliable lazy bum.

NewGlory

I'm positive he won't be a midfielder. I don't get
I agree. We will sooner switch to back-3, with no need to dedicated DMF, than play Martinez as a DMF. Lisandro is signed as a CB, anything else that may or may not happen is a pure guess-work.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Having him and DeJong would make such a difference against the press and getting the ball forwards from the back. I noticed in the Liverpool game also that Malacia was comfortable when pressed.
This one of the most exciting things for me. Everyone, regardless of their position, is going to have to be comfortable in possession, under pressure and in tight spaces. We're going to have CBs essentially playing like midfielders as a result.
Class. Presumably that gets him into trouble every now and then, but it’d be brilliant to have someone who can open up the game so much, turning their press into an actual counter-attacking opportunity for us instead of another back pass at best.
Not just that, mate. His playmaking is INCREDIBLE, and that's what sets him apart from Timber right now. He'll be a huge asset at dealing with pressing opposition and helping create counters as you say, but opening up low block teams, too.

Basically, he's like Timber and Blind combined. Has the dribbling and general press resistance of Timber, combined with Blind's playmaking and general reading of the game.
Hope he plays in midfield often. Not so sure the centreback position is suited for him in the rough and tumble prem.
I'm positive he won't be playing in midfield. EtH has already said he doesn't see him as one, and he's played his best ever stuff at CB. He is just better there.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I agree. We will sooner switch to back-3, with no need to dedicated DMF, than play Martinez as a DMF. Lisandro is signed as a CB, anything else that may or may not happen is a pure guess-work.
It actually felt like a back three at times watching Ajax in possession. With Timber and Martinez routinely carrying the ball forwards - essentially transitioning into midfielders during certain phases of play -Alvarez would drop deep to cover.

I can't wait to see us play like that!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He might be our first Argentine that can speak good english. Don't remember Heinze and Di Maria speak english and I never heard Rojo and Romero's interview in english. I'm 100% sure Tevez english was so bad that even Rooney mentioned it. Knowing the language or can speak could help the player to settle in the new country.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
If Ajax would get Calvin that would be an awesome replacement though.

sillwuka

Brilliant, looks like he may join the other lads on tour.

Also, great to hear he speaks English which should allow him to settle in quicker.

Rossa

Cannovaro was 5’9 as well, brilliant defender.
One of the best. I used to play in a team with two centre backs where one was close to two metres and the other one was about 175cm. The shorter one was twice as good in the air due to timing and leap. Of course, a combination would be preferable.

NewGlory

One of the best. I used to play in a team with two centre backs where one was close to two metres and the other one was about 175cm. The shorter one was twice as good in the air due to timing and leap. Of course, a combination would be preferable.
Martinez aerial duel stats are better than that of Maguire, so...

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Martinez has all the qualities to be a future United and Argentina captain.. Really impressive player with a very wide variety of defensive and footballing qualities.. But his mentality sets him apart I think.. He will be a fan favourite in no time.. Im very very positive about that...

Gutted to see him leave, but if he leaves than this is the ideal scenario.. United for a fair price for all parties..

allesreiniger

Supports
ajax
Yep, 1/10th of the fee, and us trousering 75% of the wages is our standard.
Sounds good to me!

Is that a serious post? Varane is 6-3 and Maguire is 6-4. 5-9 is a midget CB.
And the Man Utd defence was shite last years with 2 6+ feet defenders while Martinez rocked big time every single match! Man Utd are lucky/blessed to have signed a giant like Martinez (due to ten Hag). Mark the word.
See him as an at the least 3x better player then maguire with a 30m+ pound reduction ánd probably a rest value after 3 years.
You get back on these midgety worries.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Our best second goalkeeper since Raimond van der Gouw begs to differ!

Carlos Tevez and Gabriel Heinze also played very well, they just didn’t last long nor leave amicably :)

Marcos Rojo did as well as one should expect.

Veron was quite good most games, just never as good as his price tag (coming and going).

Di Maria, nuff said.

Garnacho and Martinez will have each other ;)
Tevez and Heinze were both quite good when they were here
Then one made a death wish against Sir Alex and the other was desperate to join Liverpool

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Love myself a ball playing centre back.

TSop

Supports
Altrincham
Martinez aerial duel stats are better than that of Maguire, so...
You do realiwe his stats are mostly based on him playing in a midfield area, totally different skill

Drainy

If he's actually solid in the air, the height thing might play in our favour. Like the time, some PL teams heard that DDG had a weakness against long shots so they spent games just peppering our goal from 30 yards away before they realised its a bit of a stupid strategy.

The fact that he's comfortably better than Blind, who didn't really struggle is reassuring.
It did make me think of that. I remember Jamie Redknapp being all smug when he came out with the stats and he conceded a poor one early.

Status
Not open for further replies.