Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

city-puma

I can't see a CB this tiny working out in the premier league, think Ten Hag is being a bit naive here. Hope I am wrong though.
It can as I think, but it needs a well drilled system able to protect or contest the second and third ball. Still, shit will happen and he could be bullied. I still remember the game Blind is bullied by a long ball and they scored. Jose stopped playing him with Smalling since then, if my memory is not distorted.

House Mkhitaryan

According to WhoScored, which tracked all 1911 minutes Lisandro played in the Eredivisie, he won 3.3 aerial duels and lost 1.4 per game. For comparison, Timber won 1.5 and lost 1.0. Van Dijk won 3.4 and lost 1.0.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I felt Timber's quality on the ball was more exciting but if ETH thinks highly of this fellow can only hope he's great.

Andrew7582

It can as I think, but it needs a well drilled system able to protect or contest the second and third ball. Still, shit will happen and he could be bullied. I still remember the game Blind is bullied by a long ball and they scored. Jose stopped playing him with Smalling since then, if my memory is not distorted.
You said it, shit will happen. We won't have it our own way week in week out in this league. The division is becoming more and more stacked with good players throughout the league as everyone has money. There will be games where possession is even and our defence gets pushed back. Or a simple long ball gets nodded down by Soucek for Antonio to run onto. This is why even the most elite teams have tall CB's.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
5.4 aerial duel contested shows he likes to get involved in aerial duel a lot in eredivisie. He doesn’t hide in aerial duel involvement. And he won it 70%.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Problem with that is the difference in level of opposition.
Timber in the same league and taller but doesn’t get involved in aerial duel. Look at Lindelof in benfica. This is just part of the player’s nature.

AussieDevil

I think people are to fixated on set positions. Martinez might start as the DM but sit back with the centre backs and allowing both fullbacks to push on, or he might start in a back three but be the "stopper" who pushes forward to close down attacks. We really don't know what the idea behind him is.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
ETH Quote in January 2021:

ESPN. "In bepaalde wedstrijden zou het wel kunnen, maar Daley heeft niet het loopvermogen om op het middenveld te spelen. En Martínez ook niet. Ze zijn gewoon het beste van achteruit, als linker centrumverdediger."

Translation:
"Daley is not a midfield player," the trainer at ESPN said . "It could be in certain games, but Daley doesn't have the running ability to play in midfield. And neither does Martínez. They're just the best from the back, as a left centre-back."

https://www.fcupdate.nl/voetbalnieu...en-martinez-geen-opties-zijn-voor-middenveld/

Ted Lasso

My hope is this turns out to be an example of the power of data analytics in football. At first glance a player who seems unlikely to be much use he has been successful in. Whereas the stats paint a very different picture that you wouldn't ever associate with a CB under 6 foot.

Ted Lasso

I've only skimmed this thread here and there, but has anyone brought up Javier Mascherano? About the same size and physique, Argie and did a pretty fine job at CB.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
they're getting gutted either way. Gravenberch, Haller and Mazzraoui have already left, Martinez is a goner too (if it's not us, it'll be Arsenal or somebody else). Timber will probably stay for another year, but all the other key players are leaving. It's a tough spot for Ajax. Sure, they have to put their foot down at some point, but I doubt Antony will just quietly accept being priced out of a move while all the others got to leave.
This is always the case for Ajax.. Ongoingly.. Bar the names this is probably true 9/10 summers..

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
My hope is this turns out to be an example of the power of data analytics in football. At first glance a player who seems unlikely to be much use he has been successful in. Whereas the stats paint a very different picture that you wouldn't ever associate with a CB under 6 foot.
No one who sees him play regularly would ever say it is unlikely he will be much use for United... this guy is a monster defensively and has great control of the ball and has a great long pass.. No one who sees him play regularly would need data to back that up..

Only people that scare because of the height of his Wikipedia profile would find some hope and solace in data...

Bondi77

I have just watched quite a bit of footage on him (YouTube obviously) and I must admit he is very impressive.
I cannot really see any weaknesses in his game as I thought defending from set pieces would be an issue but he seems alright aerially and has really good positional sense which is the main thing IMO.
I hope we get him!

mu4c_20le

I've only skimmed this thread here and there, but has anyone brought up Javier Mascherano? About the same size and physique, Argie and did a pretty fine job at CB.
He never played CB in the Premier League though. I think a better comparison is Evra, who had a great leap and could certainly hold his own, but I definitely remember him occasionally getting beat in the air because the other guy jumped first or at the same time and simply got on top of him. Losing headers at CB is much riskier.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

Weren't the bids supposed to be the same ?
afcstuff used to be quite reliable but there is nothing on that account timeline and since they've been "bought" by Sportbible it's gone downhill.

Anyway feels more and more like he's going to United and Arsenal will look elsewhere.

Teja

I felt Timber's quality on the ball was more exciting but if ETH thinks highly of this fellow can only hope he's great.
Yeah it felt like Timber was our first choice until he turned us down. I hope we're not rushing into this transfer.

reelworld

Weren't the bids supposed to be the same ?
afcstuff used to be quite reliable but there is nothing on that account timeline and since they've been "bought" by Sportbible it's gone downhill.

Anyway feels more and more like he's going to United and Arsenal will look elsewhere.
I think the guaranteed fee is the same, but United are more willing to add bigger and easily achievable add ons

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
5.4 aerial duel contested shows he likes to get involved in aerial duel a lot in eredivisie. He doesn’t hide in aerial duel involvement. And he won it 70%.
Thats interesting stats as he has won lots more aerial duels than Torres, who is 6 ft 3.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I am wondering maybe its his positioning/anticipation/aggressiveness/jumping which makes him wins alot of ariel duels?

Below is his performance vs Liverpool in CL. He won quite a few ariels duels there:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I am wondering maybe its his positioning/anticipation/aggressiveness/jumping which makes him wins alot of ariel duels?

Below is his performance vs Liverpool in CL. He won quite a few ariels duels there:

That must pretty much be it.
Baresi and in similar vain Canaveral weren't particularly the tallest but their impeccable sense of timing and great leads made the quite formidable in such duels.

DevilRed

If we are buying him to rotate then it might make sense. Especially if victor, bailly and jones might be heading for the exit door.

But I hope this doesn’t prevent us from affording a striker/right sided forward.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm more excited about this guy.
I don't know exactly why but there was something about timber which turned me off believing he won't make it.

dasty

It looks like FBREF comparison stats with other centre backs is just based on European games then, based on 8 games over the last year. It's not the best sample size but he's in bottom 20th percentile for percentage aerial duels which doesn't come as a surprise.

I honestly think everyone is so desperate for signings that they're going to be positive about any signings even if it goes against their best judgement. It seemed like most people on this forum managed to convinced themselves the fact Maguire can't run wouldn't be an issue because it's "all about positioning" or whatever the spiel was, just so we could put a positive spin on a signing that clearly had severe limitations (and I tried to convince myself of this also).

I'd bet decent money that at the end of the season the whole forum will be questioning whether he has the physicality needed to be a first choice centre back for us. If he's not going to be a guaranteed mainstay in our centre of defence long term, it will feel like a bit of a wasted signing. It's incredibly likely he's going to lose a lot of duels on long balls and crosses, more than a truly aerially dominant centre back should. Logically he just won't be able to consistently come out on top against the most physically and aerially dominant players in the oppositions teams. He may be great in other areas, but I don't see why we should be constantly trying to compromise and compensate for significant weaknesses when we don't have to. We're hoping we have an exception, we're hoping we get away with it, we're hoping it won't be an issue.

I could be wrong so I guess we'll revisit in a year's time.
How much are you willing to bet?

Olecurls99

"Perfect profile for a possession based team"

Interesting as according to @Olecurls99 who claims to have watched Martinez many times he's shite on the ball and boots it away under pressure. :rolleyes:
Yep, rubbish. Can keep it nicely for Ajax in the tippy tappy league but won't be able in the PL.

Teja

Yep, rubbish. Can keep it nicely for Ajax in the tippy tappy league but won't be able in the PL.
Eh he did way better than any of our defenders in that highlight reel above against Pool. In fact if that's his standard, I think he'll do extremely well in the PL.

Olecurls99

Eh he did way better than any of our defenders in that highlight reel above against Pool. In fact if that's his standard, I think he'll do extremely well in the PL.
Yeah I looked at that. He gave the ball away needlessly a lot in that video. In a lot of those instances Varane would have kept the ball because winning a header while great because your small, isn't actually very useful if you're just putting it back in the air.

I don't know what was so impressive about that performance at all. If he wins a duel it's usually just to cede possession right away. He then played some short passes under minimal pressure.

I'm also seeing Minamino in that video so it wasn't a full strength Liverpool either.

Teja

It looks like FBREF comparison stats with other centre backs is just based on European games then, based on 8 games over the last year. It's not the best sample size but he's in bottom 20th percentile for percentage aerial duels which doesn't come as a surprise.

I honestly think everyone is so desperate for signings that they're going to be positive about any signings even if it goes against their best judgement. It seemed like most people on this forum managed to convinced themselves the fact Maguire can't run wouldn't be an issue because it's "all about positioning" or whatever the spiel was, just so we could put a positive spin on a signing that clearly had severe limitations (and I tried to convince myself of this also).

I'd bet decent money that at the end of the season the whole forum will be questioning whether he has the physicality needed to be a first choice centre back for us. If he's not going to be a guaranteed mainstay in our centre of defence long term, it will feel like a bit of a wasted signing. It's incredibly likely he's going to lose a lot of duels on long balls and crosses, more than a truly aerially dominant centre back should. Logically he just won't be able to consistently come out on top against the most physically and aerially dominant players in the oppositions teams. He may be great in other areas, but I don't see why we should be constantly trying to compromise and compensate for significant weaknesses when we don't have to. We're hoping we have an exception, we're hoping we get away with it, we're hoping it won't be an issue.

I could be wrong so I guess we'll revisit in a year's time.
Hm most of the top six don't lump it forward to the strikers, so general defensive attributes + composure on the ball are what we need in those games. One consideration with guys who aren't good in the air is general physical strength. Does he get outmuscled by attackers easily?

The stats seem .. bad, so I'd love to know.

Dribblers tackled 98th percentile, Dribbles contested 98th percentile, Dribbled past 12th percentile.
Pressures 71st percentile, Successful Pressures 36th percentile, Successful pressure percent 1st percentile.

Yikes, this is almost like a Fred in defence.

Outside the top six:

Guys like Jimenez, Toney, Antonio, DCL, Wood might give him some trouble in aerial duels. I'm trying to find specific situations where his lack of height is troublesome.

Balls lumped forward in the general direction of the striker aren't very accurate a lot of the time. Even if they are, the key is to win the second ball rather than the initial aerial duel. During goal kicks he will have support around him.

Might get out muscled with crosses into the box from LW. Again these aren't extremely accurate and maybe we'll concede 2-3 goals this season as a result of him being out jumped by guys like Chris Wood. Makes a bad highlight reel but worth the trade-off if it results in better on the ball performance for the whole season.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yeah I looked at that. He gave the ball away needlessly a lot in that video. In a lot of those instances Varane would have kept the ball because winning a header while great because your small, isn't actually very useful if you're just putting it back in the air.

I don't know what was so impressive about that performance at all. If he wins a duel it's usually just to cede possession right away. He then played some short passes under minimal pressure.

I'm also seeing Minamino in that video so it wasn't a full strength Liverpool either.
Actually I think passing is one of his strength. Below is his performance vs Nunez and Haaland in CL, two of the physically strongest forward today. Anyway this may gives us an early idea of how he is going to come up against the likes of City and Liverpool main CF next season.

Olecurls99

Actually I think passing is one of his strength. Below is his performance vs Nunez and Haaland in CL, anyway this may gives us an early idea of how he is going to come up against the likes of City and Liverpool main CF next season.

I hope we're not signing him because of these videos. Ajax are beating Dortmund 4-0 in one of them. Hardly a good reference point

Also in both these videos I'm seeing him boot or head the ball away when there's a chance to keep it. Because he's a little guy heading the ball people are impressed but a good defender finds a teammate in these circumstances. He's also very slow and he resorts to fouling when he's caught up against a quick attacker.

Varane is miles better lads. Miles better

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.