Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeycha88

I believe Martinez will be very key to Ten Hags system. Think this might be our favorite purchase this summer looking back at it.

Infestissumam

But Ten Hag has the chance to build the team in his own image, and he has apparently never used a back three at any decent level.
it wasn't his prefered system, but according to Transfermarkt he sometimes did use a back three at Utrecht.

Ive been thinking this. suits everyone in the squad really. Only real issue would be Dalot at RWB, still far from convinced he's anywhere near it. But a team of

De Gea
Varane Martinez Maguire
Dalot De Jong Eriksen Shaw
Bruno --------- Sancho
Rashford

the extra defender allows us to play De Jong, Eriksen and Bruno together, without being to suspect defensively. Martinez being as good on the ball as he is will also step up and play as an extra midfielder when in possession.

Rashford, Sancho and Bruno will be allow to move fluidly.

Like i said Dalot is the only one where i think it might need sorting
I quite like that lineup actually. Lots of flexibility, lots of movement upfront and I think it'd also allow Martinez to flourish with his passing from the back, without exposing his size too much.

AdNani

This actually looks like a decent line up. plenty of creativity in there. My only problem would be, is Rashford capable of hitting 20+ goals a season? Think we’d need a more clinical forward and probably a better right sided player to replace dalot. Think Malacia may start ahead of Shaw aswell as he’s very good at attacking and that role may suit him.
Big if with Rashford, based on last season. but he did have productive seasons the previous 2 years, Im hoping we'll be a lot more creative this year so he'll have more chances. If Ronaldo stays he'll obviously start the majority I imagine.

I haven't seen anywhere near enough of Malacia to know.

In bigger games Fred could come into midfield as well

Matt851

Ive been thinking this. suits everyone in the squad really. Only real issue would be Dalot at RWB, still far from convinced he's anywhere near it. But a team of

De Gea
Varane Martinez Maguire
Dalot De Jong Eriksen Shaw
Bruno --------- Sancho
Rashford

the extra defender allows us to play De Jong, Eriksen and Bruno together, without being to suspect defensively. Martinez being as good on the ball as he is will also step up and play as an extra midfielder when in possession.

Rashford, Sancho and Bruno will be allow to move fluidly.

Like i said Dalot is the only one where i think it might need sorting
De jong and eriksen central mid, madness

Matt851

Not really. Schonne and FDJ was his midfield at Ajax and Schonne was an attacking midfielder.
The Premier league is somewhat different to Holland though. Even pep had to temper the attacking nature of his tactics somewhat

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
The Premier league is somewhat different to Holland though. Even pep had to temper the attacking nature of his tactics somewhat
Point is, you don't know what ETHs plans are. Your assumption is as good as mine. So it's not exactly a long shot to say Eriksen will partner FDJ with an extra defender who can act us a DM , behind.

Abraxas

Point is, you don't know what ETHs plans are. Your assumption is as good as mine. So it's not exactly a long shot to say Eriksen will partner FDJ with an extra defender who can act us a DM , behind.
But I don't think Ten Hag is a noted user of 3 at the back very often, is he? Seems an unlikely place to start your assumption from if we're going to play guessing games about his ideas.

sherrinford

With 3 defenders behind - all capable of stepping up too
I read this idea that centre halves in a back three can step up into midfield to help out defensively quite often on here, but in reality that isn't something that happens and is a notion that doesn't make sense. Similarly, the use of a back three doesn't reduce or remove the need to have a holding midfielder.

Where about? He created a midfield unit consisting of two no.10s ahead of a single holding midfielder in conjunction with a front three that all stretched the pitch, and stormed to the title.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I read this idea that centre halves in a back three can step up into midfield to help out defensively quite often on here, but in reality that isn't something that happens and is a notion that doesn't make sense. Similarly, the use of a back three doesn't reduce or remove the need to have a holding midfielder.

Where about? He created a midfield unit consisting of two no.10s ahead of a single holding midfielder in conjunction with a front three that all stretched the pitch, and stormed to the title.
I’m not suggesting they step up defensively, what would be the point in that?

They can step up when building up play though. Preferably Lisandro.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Not really. Schonne and FDJ was his midfield at Ajax and Schonne was an attacking midfielder.
Yeah but with all due respect the bottom half of the Dutch League is probably on par with league one or two in England.

That midfield won't be good enough defensively against top ten PL teams. We will get ran through at ease.

roseguy64

I like Martinez, he's able to play as centre back but also as defensive midfield. I'm pretty sure a lot of people will think he's too tiny as centre back in the Premier League but Martinez is
Argentinian and he has the aggression to succeed in the Premier League. Let Varane do all the aerial battles. Martinez also has a fantastic crosspass. Would be a nice duo in the centre. What Ten Hag also likes is 1 defender to move to the midfield so you have a +1 on the midfield so you can dominate. Martinez knows how to do this. He did it also often at Ajax.
You can't let one player do all the aerial battles for his partner. Doesn't work that way. We would never know Lindelof sucks in the air when he played with aerially dominant CBs like Varane, Smalling and Maguire if that was the case.

croadyman

Anyone think this transfer will actually happen? And if it does is he better then what we’ve already got? Where will we play him CB or DM?
Yes considerably better on the ball than anyone

bond19821982

Yeah but with all due respect the bottom half of the Dutch League is probably on par with league one or two in England.

That midfield won't be good enough defensively against top ten PL teams. We will get ran through at ease.
And yet , Pep plays it all the time without an actual DM ( Rodri is a deep lying play maker I know ).

bond19821982

But I don't think Ten Hag is a noted user of 3 at the back very often, is he? Seems an unlikely place to start your assumption from if we're going to play guessing games about his ideas.
That's why I said your guess is as good as mine. You also assume that he will play 4231 . Fact is, we both don't know what his plans are.

sherrinford

I’m not suggesting they step up defensively, what would be the point in that?

They can step up when building up play though. Preferably Lisandro.
Don't know, as I said it's a notion that doesn't make sense. I thought your post implied it as it was in response to someone else's retort at the idea of a de Jong-Eriksen midfield.

The Champions League from that season certainly wasn't on par with League One or Two in England though, was it? That Ajax side competed well against Bayern, Juventus, Real Madrid and Spurs. No-one can say for sure that ten Hag won't pair de Jong with Eriksen if we get them, or that it definitely will not work if he does. He has had success with a similar dynamic before.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
From playing Xavi a natural CM in midfield to playing two attacking mid KDB and Silva. Is that really tempering?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What's the Arsenal plan here? Back 3? Or White and Martinez as the smallest defense in the league?

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
From playing Xavi a natural CM in midfield to playing two attacking mid KDB and Silva. Is that really tempering?
From Dani Alves to Kyle Walker is definitely tempering.

The biggest change from early to late Pep is how he uses his fullbacks and the kinds of players he selects.

roseguy64

I would agree with you if we were signing all 5 players from Ajax but I have to say give it some time. The only player that played for Ten Hag last season that we may end up getting is this guy.

Malacia is a cheap signing that can provide backup to Luke Shaw (We spent more on Amad), he's not going to be an important first team player. Eriksen has proven it in the PL and FDJ was starting for Barca for the last 3-4 years and a midfielder that is good enough for Barca is most certainly good enough for us. You need to take a breather mate.
Agreed here. I'm only worried about Martinez if we plan to play him as a CB in a 2. And also Antony because I doubt he's that good. Eriksen, FDJ and Malacia seems good transfers.

roseguy64

According to WhoScored, which tracked all 1911 minutes Lisandro played in the Eredivisie, he won 3.3 aerial duels and lost 1.4 per game. For comparison, Timber won 1.5 and lost 1.0. Van Dijk won 3.4 and lost 1.0.
I saw similar stats being used to defend Lindelof in the air.

There's a lot more to it than that.

NoPace

What's the Arsenal plan here? Back 3? Or White and Martinez as the smallest defense in the league?
Has to be a back 3. Suits Tomiyasu and Saliba too. 5 players for 3 spots including Gabriel, then I guess Saka wide right, Tavares or Tierney wide left but not as high up on the field, then 3 in midfield (Partey sitting and I guess Vieira and Odegaard playmaking) and 2 up top in Jesus and either Martinelli or Smith-Rowe. Might work.

Kingslayer18

Is it just me or is anyone else concerned about all of ETH's targets coming from Eredivisie, where some players have struggled with the step up to PL in recent seasons? In addition, is Martinez a 50m CB? We should seriously be looking at a value CB purchase considering the multitude of young CBs out there and a limited budget. I was ok with Timber as he has high upside, despite his lack of height, plus he would cover RB very easily as well. I mean, if we want a young, progressive, left footed CB that is also press resistant, we should rather buy David Carmo, who we were linked with recently. He's rapid, 6'5 which means we won't have the height concerns we have with Martinez and he'll be cheaper. Certain analysts portray him as a similar profile to Van Djik, which is a positive in my books.

Reactions: Sultan

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Has to be a back 3. Suits Tomiyasu and Saliba too. 5 players for 3 spots including Gabriel, then I guess Saka wide right, Tavares or Tierney wide left but not as high up on the field, then 3 in midfield (Partey sitting and I guess Vieira and Odegaard playmaking) and 2 up top in Jesus and either Martinelli or Smith-Rowe. Might work.
Arteta is dead set on 4231 or 4123. He will be a versatile player who can play LB, and also can cover LCB and DM if necessary. Is he worth 50m in my opinion? Nope.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Pretty sure it’s just Martinez rotating with Tierney at LB and backing up Gabriel at LCB. Still a 4-3-3.

Arteta wants fullbacks who pinch inwards and play like midfielders in possession to form a 2-3-5. Basically you need to be able to pass well and then defend against transitions very front footed and aggressively, both of which Martinez can certainly do.

Trequarista10

My suspicion is that we'd initially play him as a DM (as we still don't have any DMs), and once ETH has implemented a functional system in a season or two Martinez would feature more as a CB.

croadyman

My suspicion is that we'd initially play him as a DM (as we still don't have any DMs), and once ETH has implemented a functional system in a season or two Martinez would feature more as a CB.
Wouldn't be against that at all, still hoping that we sign an actual DM in the next 2 windows

Last edited:

Red_toad

I wonder when the club are going to scout players and have a list of players who are adaptable. Seems we’re carrying on the buy who the manager wants and if it all goes tits up then we have players who aren’t going to work for the next manager on big wages and having spent a fortune on them. FDJ I get it he’s a class player and could easily play for the next boss, Martinez I’m not so sure.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Or he plays a very forward/advanced CB with a covering Varane behind him? Reducing the need for an actual DM?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I wonder when the club are going to scout players and have a list of players who are adaptable. Seems we’re carrying on the buy who the manager wants and if it all goes tits up then we have players who aren’t going to work for the next manager on big wages and having spent a fortune on them. FDJ I get it he’s a class player and could easily play for the next boss, Martinez I’m not so sure.
Yeap -- like under the LVG days. But I suspect if ETH is gone, we will get another manager of that elk. That's what the footballing DOF will be thinking -- otherwise, we will be doing the reactionary, pendulum swings like under Woodward.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Credit to @Raees, any appetite to do anything on Malacia?
Focusing on transfer targets who are still on the move - that kind of happened too quick but I'll see if I can do one just after season starts.

Good video @Raees

very insightful, subscribed
Thanks Ali.

@Raees

is the videos really yours? I’ve been watching them lately and they are great. I subscribed some time ago and been talking to you on YouTube as D Cab!
Just seen your comment now! yeah they're mine.

Nice job mate, was waiting for your assessment.
Thanks - its an interesting signing, could go wrong but at that price it is worth the punt. Seems ETH is hell bent on improving United's ability in possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.