Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosskeano

How are his physical attributes such as strength, agility, speed, acceleration, leap?

Sounds like a brilliant passer and reader of the game, but I hope he is physically more up for it than say Blind ever was.
oh dear lord no please

OrcaFat

Even if his head would be at his opponents bullocks, he would have to jump at all. He’ll merely play smarter.
I heard he has only one leg; where others run, he hops (at twice the speed) and needs no leg to stand on as he smashes goals in from inside his own half.

GL21

Bullying such as this can lead to terrible outcomes. Poor fella could end up jumping of a skirting board

NoPace

Doesn’t he have like an insane NBA/Ronaldo like jumping leap on him? I’m sure that would help against those stereotypical big shithouse centre-forwards that are almost out of fashion now.

With Burnley gone, is there even a shithouse team now? Fulham, Bournemouth and Forest play football on the ground and not too many of the current Premier League clubs even play like that anymore. It’s like small, pacy forwards now and the token tall striker is better with his feet than posing an aerial threat ironically.
There are big 9s like Mitrovic, Toney and Calvert-Lewin, but if we're a better team overall and have to play Maguire and Varane together 6-8 times a season it's hardly the end of the world. If Varane can handle 25 starts let's say at the max, that leaves 51 for Maguire and Martinez if we play 4 at the back. So, even with say 10 games where one of the older players is out and Martinez has to play you've got some leeway.

We have to rotate at CB because Varane can't play every game. And ultimately, you would think if Ten Hag is to build a team like he did this year at Ajax (his best team overall), we have to have 60% of the ball, and you can't do that without very composed players on the ball, and right now we have probably only Shaw, Eriksen and maybe Sancho out wide who fit that bill. In central defence and deep in midfield we have none. So right now Lisandro is probably first choice as an LCB and as a DM. We can always fill the other spot next summer.

nav_10

All these short jokes on this thread, there are people reading these who will feel offended!

#Shortlivesmatter!

I'd take a knee for it but, you sick people would just think I'm mocking Martinez's height!

Dempsey19

Reports earlier said he wasn't joining the tour but above says he is?

If that's the case then Eriksen should be heading with him.

saik

Literally the same pace as Maguire has in the game. Although Maguire has better defensive stats like positioning and marking.Think it's got to do with him playing for Man Utd and hence a bit overrated.

As much as I like the game and use it to identify the upcoming wonderkids, these attributes can sometime be misleading.

Look up De Ligt's attributes in the game. Absolutely God tier and literally the best defender in the game but his real world performances don't suggest that haha.

Edit: Okay just looked up De Ligt's attributes they are not God tier but still very good. I must have remembered his attributes after a few years in game where he developed.

Last edited:

croadyman

Hate suggesting this because let's those yankee leeches off the hook, however could he play that CDM role with Eriksen & Bruno in front of him. I still am not convinced De Jong is ever gonna sign so need to look at alternative plans.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Ten Hag will want him at CB, I have little doubt about that. He wants him for his front foot defending, which aids the high press, and his playmaking ability from the back. His size is a non issue as far as I’m concerned. There have been some superb CBs who were under 6ft. Baresi, Cannavaro, Ayala, Mascherano, etc etc. He’s aggressive, tough, and composed. Against low block teams he’ll be able to step into midfield to provide that overload, and has been shown to handle big strikers well. So I really don’t see where the whole size furore comes from.

Playing out from the back and being an aggressive, high pressing team, it’s easy to see why ETH wants him and why he’ll likely prove pivotal to our play, with and without the ball. I think Maguire will struggle under ETH to be first choice. I see Varane and Martinez being first choice sooner or later, but early pre-season impressions are that Bailly might have a bigger role to play than ever previously thought. His pace and urgency in stepping out of defence has been superb in pre-season. I’ve never been a fan, but it’s amazing what a different coach and approach to the game can do for some players. As ever, can he remain fit?

Lindelof is an unknown. Think he is a very reliable defender who gets often under rated on here, and his play making from the back is really quite good. But he’s physically very average. Neither aerially dominant, strong or quick. Just pretty average at all three. I’m not sure how he’s going to fare tbh. I’d still pick him above Maguire though, who looks all wrong for a high press system.

Number TwentyFive

Baresi, Cannavaro, Ayala, Mascherano,
Yeah they were short central defenders but those guys didn't play in the Premier League. Well Mascherano did, but played as a midfielder for Liverpool. The Premier League is a different beast it comes to physicality.

chb23

Ten Hag will want him at CB, I have little doubt about that. He wants him for his front foot defending, which aids the high press, and his playmaking ability from the back.
interesting...sounds like bailly :P

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Yeah they were short central defenders but those guys didn't play in the Premier League. Well Mascherano did, but played as a midfielder for Liverpool. The Premier League is a different beast it comes to physicality.
Yeah, you're right. Baresi and Cannavaro wouldn't have cut it in the premier league. What was I thinking, throwing in such examples? Now I think about it, there are so many chancers out there who are heralded as all time greats, but they never proved it in the PL, so feck 'em.

Your post is quite literally one of the stupidest I've ever read.

MUnchies

I see this trotted out a lot. I didn’t watch him against Nunez but I did see them against Dortmund, and Haaland missed 3 big chances. It’s classic results based analysis, if Haaland converted them no one would be saying things like this.
So no one had chances or scored against Rio, Vidic, Puyol, VVD etc? The fact that they had chances doesn’t mean he didn’t do great. It’s a 90 minutes game so if he can contain Haaland and he only had 3 half chances then he did a great job, no?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Apparently he is being bought to play the Cb / CDM hybrid role which is the tactics I’ve been wishing for years.

Martinez is being bought for that role and the fact he is our only left footed CB. He will then move to being our LCB once we get our number 1CB/CDM hybrid player next year to allow De Jong be a roaming playmaker.

bosskeano

Apparently he is being bought to play the Cb / CDM hybrid role which is the tactics I’ve been wishing for years.

Martinez is being bought for that role and the fact he is our only left footed CB. He will then move to being our LCB once we get our number 1CB/CDM hybrid player next year to allow De Jong be a roaming playmaker.
he could play that hybrid role in the build up if we want to build with three out of the back and just keep the two outside backs as part of the build up

city-puma

Maguire was played as RCB last game. Will see what setup ETH eventually prefers.

Himannv

Baresi and Cannavaro are two of the best defenders of all time. If they played in the EPL they would have bossed it no question.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Kolo Toure's height is mentioned as 178 CM and he had no problem playing in PL, that too in the era of big strikers in almost all teams.

Azpi is 1.78M and he played as CB under Conte.
Nathan Ake is 180 CM and he played as CB for Bournemouth and City.
Fernandinho is 1.79M and he played as CB.
Blind is 1.8m and he played his best season for ManUtd as CB.
Creswell is also 1.78M and IIRC he played as CB when Moyes switched to 3 CB system.

OmarUnited4ever

Kolo Toure's height is mentioned as 178 CM and he had no problem playing in PL, that too in the era of big strikers in almost all teams.

Azpi is 1.78M and he played as CB under Conte.
Nathan Ake is 180 CM and he played as CB for Bournemouth and City.
Fernandinho is 1.79M and he played as CB.
Blind is 1.8m and he played his best season for ManUtd as CB.
Creswell is also 1.78M and IIRC he played as CB when Moyes switched to 3 CB system.
Agreed, and it is not like we benefited much from tall players, last season, in one game we could field Maguire, Varane, Matic, McTominay and Pogba, all 190cm and above, and yet, we wouldn't score that many goals from an offensive set piece, the team has been strong as a unit in defending set pieces, only conceding 5, so the issue is our defense conceded too many goals from open play, and height wouldn't make much difference in such situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.