g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
I could see us switching to a diamond at some point. Lucas holding in front of two of Henderson/Can/Gerrard, Coutinho at the tip of it, with sterling and sturridge up front. Maybe even Lallana for one of the midfield roles when we want extra attacking options.
I think we'll see the return of the diamond next season. Sterling is much better playing in deeper positions and I'd try and utilise him from these positions as much as possible. He's still a very good striker, but I'd only be using him there if Sturridge is unavailable.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Can looking like great business. He's a very intelligent player and still very young.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Who was it that was adamant in the summer that he was average then and had no chance at being better than average? One of the German supporters I think it was.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
It's not said often enough, Emre Can is a fcking boss!! :D
I really don't understand why no Premier League clubs snap up the young talents from the Bundesliga, there's so many good ones around right now. They're relatively cheap as well. Happy for Can, looks good from what I've seen! Very versatile as well.

Cina

Aren't you lot worried about your team getting completely burnt out, especially with Europa coming up too?

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Who was it that was adamant in the summer that he was average then and had no chance at being better than average? One of the German supporters I think it was.
To be fair, most Liverpool signings are greeted with a similar disdain on here. Go back to when we got Sturridge.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Aren't you lot worried about your team getting completely burnt out, especially with Europa coming up too?
It's obviously an issue but Rodgers is trying to use the squad. Lucas wasn't in the squad tonight, Henderson was benched, Gerrard didn't play at the weekend and Sturridge is being eased back in. Plus, Sterling was given a winter break.

That said, I could accept an early EL exit if it benefited the league.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah Can was excellent tonight, more so when he stepped up into midfield. Coutinho was superb again too.

Downsides...Allen again. I hope we get rid of him in the summer, 3 wins in the last 10 he started before tonight, which we only really won after subbing him. Lallana poor as well.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
What has changed? Brendan didn't even trust him when you were awful even though he had no other options, Allen was used more often than him if I am not wrong. Just because he played few decent games at CB doesn't mean he will become excellent player.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Can looking like great business. He's a very intelligent player and still very young.
When Skrtel missed a clearing header Can calmly brought it down on his chest in the penalty area with a man behind him.

Had to rewind that as I couldn't believe how cool he looked doing it.

Zoo

When Skrtel missed a clearing header Can calmly brought it down on his chest in the penalty area with a man behind him.

Had to rewind that as I couldn't believe how cool he looked doing it.
Wow I missed that.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah Can was excellent tonight, more so when he stepped up into midfield. Coutinho was superb again too.

Downsides...Allen again. I hope we get rid of him in the summer, 3 wins in the last 10 he started before tonight, which we only really won after subbing him. Lallana poor as well.
While Allen wasn't great his inclusion relieved Lucas and Henderson. Rodgers has to use this squad and it was a reasonable selection. He won't start at the weekend so I view it as sensible squad management.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
While Allen wasn't great his inclusion relieved Lucas and Henderson. Rodgers has to use this squad and it was a reasonable selection. He won't start at the weekend so I view it as sensible squad management.
My point was it's about time Allen was no longer considered a reliable squad player. It was good that we won without Lucas and Henderson but Allen can't be trusted to play well. When was his last good performance anyway? He's always injured, rusty after an injury or just poor without an excuse.

With any luck he won't be at the club next season.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
All I can say is well played L'pool, showed good composure today after going 1-0 down. They are finally starting to look like a good team again.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
That said, I could accept an early EL exit if it benefited the league.
I share that sentiment. Our chances of winning the EL are very slim imo and our schedule is stacked right now. We should aim for the FA Cup and a fourth play finish, would be a very good season if we'd achieve that.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
My point was it's about time Allen was no longer considered a reliable squad player. It was good that we won without Lucas and Henderson but Allen can't be trusted to play well. When was his last good performance anyway? He's always injured, rusty after an injury or just poor without an excuse.

With any luck he won't be at the club next season.
I like Allen and think he has a role to play in a diamond or three man midfield. He can't play in a two man midfield though which is his problem.

Bwuk

The Welsh Xavi isn't good enough? Heavens forbid!

You'll have quite a decent frontline if you play a diamond. Coutinho in behind Sterling and Sturridge would be a nightmare for most teams. Lallana can rotate in.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
What has changed? Brendan didn't even trust him when you were awful even though he had no other options, Allen was used more often than him if I am not wrong. Just because he played few decent games at CB doesn't mean he will become excellent player.
He just put in a superb performance against the might of championship Bolton.

Thisistheone

Haven't conceded a goal from open play since New Years Day against Leicester.
Wimbledon scored against you. Big Adebayo. Or you only including league games?

Edit: I guess that is classed as a set-piece goal since it was bobbling around the box from a corner kick. Your defence has definitely improved a lot. Even Mingolet looks confident now.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I share that sentiment. Our chances of winning the EL are very slim imo and our schedule is stacked right now. We should aim for the FA Cup and a fourth play finish, would be a very good season if we'd achieve that.
WTF? We are third favorites with the bookmakers, behind Napoli and Roma. Besides those two, it's only really Inter that look like a proper threat.

We have a great chance of winning it.

ZDwyr

Even though Rodgers gets stick for his transfer business, Can seems to be well on his way to being a "pass" in the grading. Especially considering he was relatively cheap (I think?).

acnumber9

WTF? We are third favorites with the bookmakers, behind Napoli and Roma. Besides those two, it's only really Inter that look like a proper threat.

There's a team above you in the league still in the competition.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
There's a team above you in the league still in the competition.
<snicker>

I barely remembered them. Even Everton are given better odds of winning it.

Last edited:

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Liverpool have no chance in the EL. Too easy for European teams to deal with their kick and rush PL style.

They struggled against a Bulgarian team who cost less to assemble than Ricky Lambert.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool have no chance in the EL. Too easy for European teams to deal with their kick and rush PL style.

They struggled against a Bulgarian team who cost less to assemble than Ricky Lambert.
Er, we struggled to beat everyone at that point in our season. We haven't played using this system in Europe.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.

Rodgers' record in Europe isn't very good. Not only that, but it affects the domestic games surrounding the European games. You've improved since not playing in Europe. Maybe this time around it's just a coincidence, but a couple years back you couldn't handle European football either.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I don't think Liverpool are going to win the EL, but they're definitely a lot better now than they were 6 weeks ago. They're building momentum and getting Sturridge back is a fairly big plus for them.

All the same, I'd have my money on Napoli or Roma.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
The euro-league is incredible competitive this year. There are many teams that have a legit shot at winning. Napoli, Roma, Liverpool, Spurs, Wolfsburg, Sevilla and to a lesser extend, Zenit, Everton, Villarreal and Gladbach could all make it to the finals.
I dont think that there is a distinct favourite.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Only Inter looks like a proper threat besides Napoli and Roma? Give me a break. We would struggle to beat Sevilla, Wolfsburg, Napoli and Roma over two legs and teams like Olympiakos, Zenit, Salzburg, Inter would definitely be very hard to beat too. We've improved a lot since we last played in Europe but we still have to wait and see if our new system is effective against continental teams. It depends massively on the form at the moment the games are played, but I'd say we're not in the top five favourites to win the EL.