g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
For a young man who thinks he is worth alot more than 100k a week, Sterling has been absolutely awful recently.
I will first defend Sterling, in a team of mediocrity he has been carrying us as best he could all season much like Henderson.

However, for such an unthreatenging 'goal threat' he's as dangerous as a kitten with a ball of wool. If he thinks he's anything over 100k a week he can feck right off.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I've seen people talk about the squad like its in ruins which is a bit off the mark I think. We've got a decent core of players, and some young players who haven't performed to expectations this season (Moreno, Markovic etc) but who are obviously talented and so who deserve the benefit of the doubt on a difficult first season. The problems this season, top to bottom, is that we messed up the striking situation. Our defence has improved immesurably but for some reason we bought strikers who don't fit the way we play and aren't good enough for us to change our team around. The problem in the summer is buying better quality stikers, easier said than done admittedly, and our performances next season will be a lot better. It's certainly not a broken squad at the minute. I've seen enough in my time to know that.
It did? I think it has looked more solid or less prone to conceding after switch to 3-4-3 but it might be because of extra protection while defending. The defending in 2nd of half of season has been overall better than first half but I doubt it can be called 'immeasurable' improvement because Liverpool still don't look assured when defending.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
It did? I think it has looked more solid or less prone to conceding after switch to 3-4-3 but it might be because of extra protection while defending. The defending in 2nd of half of season has been overall better than first half but I doubt it can be called 'immeasurable' improvement because Liverpool still don't look assured when defending.
Yeah, on reflection "immeasurably" is a bit much, but 37 goals conceded is a decent improvement on last year. Those numbers aren't far off Utd, Arsenal, City etc. Whereas last season our numbers were somewhere around lower midtable. Individually a lot of our defensive players have improved over the course of season, and I think there's at least promise that we can be a bit more balanced as a team than last season, we've swung the other way in terms of struggling to score because our striking options are piss without Sturridge.

Chicharito_

What happened to the Scouse Cafu (Flannagan) this season?

Was actually quite impressed with him last season but seems to have dissapeared..

Mali_Zeus

Yeah, on reflection "immeasurably" is a bit much, but 37 goals conceded is a decent improvement on last year. Those numbers aren't far off Utd, Arsenal, City etc. Whereas last season our numbers were somewhere around lower midtable. Individually a lot of our defensive players have improved over the course of season, and I think there's at least promise that we can be a bit more balanced as a team than last season, we've swung the other way in terms of struggling to score because our striking options are piss without Sturridge.
Has Lovren improved or had some good games or is he still accident waiting to happen?

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Has Lovren improved or had some good games or is he still accident waiting to happen?
Last few games he has done ok, there has been an improvement recently. Maybe just needs a run in the side.

Was actually quite impressed with him last season but seems to have dissapeared..
As already stated suffered a really bad injury. Haven't heard much about his progress recently but he was back in light training.

How Johnson still gets picked though is beyond me (and many others).

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Lovren could turn out to be an acceptable success like Mig eventually did. The only silver lining we have for next season, and it isn't a huge one, is that all our 'squad' purchases will have finally settled in. I suppose that includes Ibe too though he looks pretty settled already.

Can't afford to spend next season settling players in again, we have to go and buy big name cherries to compliment the squaddie cake.

Edit: Johnny, Flanno was a write off for the season a few weeks back. I think that's his career in the big time over. Probably Sturridge too.

ZDwyr

Lovren could turn out to be an acceptable success like Mig eventually did. The only silver lining we have for next season, and it isn't a huge one, is that all our 'squad' purchases will have finally settled in. I suppose that includes Ibe too though he looks pretty settled already.

Can't afford to spend next season settling players in again, we have to go and buy big name cherries to compliment the squaddie cake.

Edit: Johnny, Flanno was a write off for the season a few weeks back. I think that's his career in the big time over. Probably Sturridge too.
Because he's had one injury? Must be a really, really bad knee injury then.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
He was out for like 9-10 months, and his contract expires in the summer. I can't see him being a Liverpool player for the 15/16 season.

I don't think it's the end for Sturridge, though.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea

We keep hearing that you need a couple of "big name" players to push you further. Even your manager said it yesterday.

Which big name players can Liverpool attract? Or even afford?

ZDwyr

He was out for like 9-10 months, and his contract expires in the summer. I can't see him being a Liverpool player for the 15/16 season.

I don't think it's the end for Sturridge, though.
Didn't realise that. But he performed quite well when he did play though didn't he? Certainly showed enough to warrant another contract. Guess it depends on the severity of the injury.

If I was a Liverpool fan Sturridge would really, really concern me. His body is just alarmingly injury prone.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
We keep hearing that you need a couple of "big name" players to push you further. Even your manager said it yesterday.

I don't think we need big name players, but we do need players that are ready to go, and not just youngsters with potential. Kinda like we did with Lallana (who I know we slightly overpaid for) last summer, but hopefully someone who can hit the ground running with less injury woes.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool

Didn't realise that. But he performed quite well when he did play though didn't he? Certainly showed enough to warrant another contract. Guess it depends on the severity of the injury.

If I was a Liverpool fan Sturridge would really, really concern me. His body is just alarmingly injury prone.
I agree on Sturridge which is why we have to add quality up front in the summer.

Flanagan was great last year, often played on the left when his natural position is the other side.
There was talk of an England call up back then.
I know about the contract situation, I can't believe we will let him go but then again I can't believe we still have Johnson in the team either!

Chicharito_

I agree on Sturridge which is why we have to add quality up front in the summer.

Flanagan was great last year, often played on the left when his natural position is the other side.
There was talk of an England call up back then.
I know about the contract situation, I can't believe we will let him go but then again I can't believe we still have Johnson in the team either!
Not giving Cafu another contract?!

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Feck me I hate that stuff. Hope he recovers well and can still fetch himself a decent career.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think we need big name players, but we do need players that are ready to go, and not just youngsters with potential. Kinda like we did with Lallana (who I know we slightly overpaid for) last summer, but hopefully someone who can hit the ground running with less injury woes.
While you're doing that though, all of your "rivals" above you will be signing world class or top class players.

The likes of ourselves, United, City, and Arsenal are being linked with and have already been signing the likes of Fabregas, Costa, Sanchez, etc and you're getting the Lallana's and Markovic's and being linked with players like Ings and Milner.

Those aren't signings that will take you to the next level or even compete with the best sides really. You're basically just like Spurs.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
While you're doing that though, all of your "rivals" above you will be signing world class or top class players.

The likes of ourselves, United, City, and Arsenal are being linked with and have already been signing the likes of Fabregas, Costa, Sanchez, etc and you're getting the Lallana's and Markovic's and being linked with players like Ings and Milner.

Those aren't signings that will take you to the next level or even compete with the best sides really. You're basically just like Spurs.
Ouch

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Sorry, but I just couldn't resist posting this again. Will it ever get old?

Just noticed the stunned guy beside the headless guy, priceless look :lol:. Almost as though he can't take in what's unfolding in front of him.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Just noticed the stunned guy beside the headless guy, priceless look :lol:. Almost as though he can't take in what's unfolding in front of him.
That's the beauty of that gif. No matter how many times one watches, there is something new to notice each time.

Rafateria

It's not even a question. It's the position he's always played... Well, until he joined us, that is. Might as well have kept Danny Agger as it stands right now :houllier:
Not true Tommy - even at his tender years Can has played all over the shop : CM, DM, LB, CB before he came to Liverpool.

Rafateria

For a young man who thinks he is worth alot more than 100k a week, Sterling has been absolutely awful recently.
Which is why most of think he's not worth 150k a week (reputedly what his agent is holding out for) and why if City or anyone else are prepared to give us 40-50M I'd snap their hand off.

Rafateria

I've seen people talk about the squad like its in ruins which is a bit off the mark I think. We've got a decent core of players, and some young players who haven't performed to expectations this season (Moreno, Markovic etc) but who are obviously talented and so who deserve the benefit of the doubt on a difficult first season. The problems this season, top to bottom, is that we messed up the striking situation. Our defence has improved immesurably but for some reason we bought strikers who don't fit the way we play and aren't good enough for us to change our team around. The problem in the summer is buying better quality stikers, easier said than done admittedly, and our performances next season will be a lot better. It's certainly not a broken squad at the minute. I've seen enough in my time to know that.
IF, and it's a nightly big if, we can keep Sturridge fit for the majority of next season, Origi will arrive of course and lets say for arguments sake Ings and one other good to very good striker (I believe we will splash the cash here - though I'm not sure who or what we'll get for the money) that's already going to be a major step up on a perms-injured Sturridge, Balotelli, Lambert and Borini this season. We don't have a bad team - considering how inconsistent we've been we're only a few points behind United .. and haven't they got a run of something like a single defeat in something like 23-25 games going ? I'll be very surprised if we are not battling for Top 4 next season with the good crops of youngsters who'll then all have at least a full PL season under their belts and a full pre-season (some didn't this season).

Rafateria

He's been a big miss IMO. He is certainly far more secure defensively than any other FB at the club and the fact that he can play RB & LB with equal conviction and quality has reduced our options when injury has hit the defence. New contract in the Summer and he'll now be good to go next season. I think both BR and Flanno have said as much and he is now nearing full fitness again - horrible year for the kid.

Rafateria

There is a long list of names being mentioned and that I could spew out ... but no-one really knows how this is going to pan out over the Summer. How much will a lack of CL affect us ? For established names or those on the track to stardom .. a lot. For those bright young things looking for the next step up, or established players hoping for a move to a big club ... not at all. We'll be shopping for the later two though I really don't think spending 30-35M on a player is beyond us it would have to be someone very special. I'm hoping for Firmino or Lacazette but that's probably pie in the sky.

Rafateria

And yet there's not much of a points difference for all that cash they've spent. Which goes to prove it's more about having the right manager and a TEAM rather than a bunch of superstars. Atletico are setting a perfect example in what can be achieved when you get it right.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
There is a long list of names being mentioned and that I could spew out ... but no-one really knows how this is going to pan out over the Summer. How much will a lack of CL affect us ? For established names or those on the track to stardom .. a lot. For those bright young things looking for the next step up, or established players hoping for a move to a big club ... not at all. We'll be shopping for the later two though I really don't think spending 30-35M on a player is beyond us it would have to be someone very special. I'm hoping for Firmino or Lacazette but that's probably pie in the sky.
Rodgers doesn't have the clout necessary to attract these players even without Cl you bring in Jurgen Klopp players heads are instanly turned, Van Gaal likewise theres players agents ringing him up telling him why he should buy there players just because he's Louis fecking Van Gaal. Mourinho needs three phones just to keep up to date with all the calls he receives whereas the only calls Rodgers gets is to confirm his teeth whitening and fake tan appointments

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Rodgers doesn't have the clout necessary to attract these players even without Cl you bring in Jurgen Klopp players heads are instanly turned, Van Gaal likewise theres players agents ringing him up telling him why he should buy there players just because he's Louis fecking Van Gaal. Mourinho needs three phones just to keep up to date with all the calls he receives whereas the only calls Rodgers gets is to confirm his teeth whitening and fake tan appointments
You can tell he never misses an appointment.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I actually think that this is nonsense. There are a couple of managers who have a special pull for some players, but usually thats overstated. I can see, that LvG has a special pull for dutch players, but beyond that its really just about what the club offers. I rarely agree with @Rafateria but I do on this issue. Liverpool isnt miles behind us. As sad as this is.
I think Rodgers is too smug and self-loving to correct his mistakes, but if Liverpool does good business during the summer, they´ll challenge for the top4. Replace him with Klopp and you could cause serious trouble.

Last edited:

clarkydaz

looking good is half the battle, mate

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
I actually think that this is nonsense. There are a couple of managers who have a special pull for some players, but usually thats overstates. I can see, that LvG has a special pull for dutch players, but beyond that its really just about what the club offers. I rarely agree with @Rafateria but I do on this issue. Liverpool isnt miles behind us. As sad as this is.
I think Rodgers is too smug and self-loving to correct his mistakes, but if Liverpool does good business during the summer, they´ll challenge for the top4. Replace him with Klopp and you could cause serious trouble.
I'm not arguing about the strength of the squad we have some quality players in it. I'm questioning does he have the pull to attract those 2 or 3 top end players, the ones to perform consistently to high level week in week out and provide seniority and stability to a young but talented squad. That's what we need, as bleak as things look now football can change very quickly. I reckon bringing in Klopp can be a game changer for us but that's just my opinion. I don't think Rodgers is going to get the World class striker he needs and I think after three years he's had more than enough time, the defence is worse than when he came, the midfield woeful and it increasingly looks like he was bailed out by two world class strikers.
Put it this way I'd understand if they sacked him and I'd also understand if they didn't. I'm advocating Klopp because a manager of his calibre doesn't come on the market often.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
And yet there's not much of a points difference for all that cash they've spent. Which goes to prove it's more about having the right manager and a TEAM rather than a bunch of superstars. Atletico are setting a perfect example in what can be achieved when you get it right.
Atleti have had a bunch of superstars, though. Or at least a bunch of world class players.

Costa, Courtois, Filipe Luis, Koke, Miranda, Godin have all been world class for them over the past couple of years. Then you have players like Griezmann and Mandzukic who are also class. Liverpool have no one on that level.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Atleti have had a bunch of superstars, though. Or at least a bunch of world class players.

Costa, Courtois, Filipe Luis, Koke, Miranda, Godin have all been world class for them over the past couple of years. Then you have players like Griezmann and Mandzukic who are also class. Liverpool have no one on that level.
I think the point might be that none of these players were brought into the Atletico team as already world-class. They were good players, and you could make the argument that Courtois was pretty much world-class form from the off, but they all progressed under a good manager in the right system. Liverpool have players who at the moment aren't obviously world-class, but there's plenty of players in the team that could feasibly put in world-class performances if they have a bit of development in a performing system.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I'm not arguing about the strength of the squad we have some quality players in it. I'm questioning does he have the pull to attract those 2 or 3 top end players, the ones to perform consistently to high level week in week out and provide seniority and stability to a young but talented squad. That's what we need, as bleak as things look now football can change very quickly. I reckon bringing in Klopp can be a game changer for us but that's just my opinion. I don't think Rodgers is going to get the World class striker he needs and I think after three years he's had more than enough time, the defence is worse than when he came, the midfield woeful and it increasingly looks like he was bailed out by two world class strikers.
Put it this way I'd understand if they sacked him and I'd also understand if they didn't. I'm advocating Klopp because a manager of his calibre doesn't come on the market often.
Liverpool won’t attract established world-class players regardless of the manager. That is a no-brainer. If you have to compete with Real, Barca, Bayern, PSG, Chelsea + City, Arsenal, United, Juve you´ll lose 99 out of 100 times. If that’s your approach to solve your problems, you can already say good-bye to CL football. That’s said there is another way to do business. Considering how wasteful City and United are with their money, it is possible to finish ahead of both despite spending less.

Simeone also doesn’t buy world-class player. None of those players that Orc is talking about joined them as “superstar”. Obviously Atletico is already a step ahead, but you can still learn quite a bit from them.

The first step is to establish a system and the second step is to buy players, who excel in this system. Chelsea aside the other CL-contender are lacking a coherent system (arsenal might be on their way to change that) so its possible to take advantage of that. Rodgers is half way there. He established a brand of football, but failed to sort out many details. I have my doubts that Rodgers can make the next step forward; that’s why your management should hire Klopp.

Your way forward is to have a better system. That’s very doable, while buying better player than the top4 isn´t.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool won’t attract established world-class players regardless of the manager. That is a no-brainer. If you have to compete with Real, Barca, Bayern, PSG, Chelsea + City, Arsenal, United, Juve you´ll lose 99 out of 100 times. If that’s your approach to solve your problems, you can already say good-bye to CL football. That’s said there is another way to do business. Considering how wasteful City and United are with their money, it is possible to finish ahead of both despite spending less.

Simeone also doesn’t buy world-class player. None of those players that Orc is talking about joined them as “superstar”. Obviously Atletico is already a step ahead, but you can still learn quite a bit from them.

The first step is to establish a system and the second step is to buy players, who excel in this system. Chelsea aside the other CL-contender are lacking a coherent system (arsenal might be on their way to change that) so its possible to take advantage of that. Rodgers is half way there. He established a brand of football, but failed to sort out many details. I have my doubts that Rodgers can make the next step forward; that’s why your management should hire Klopp.

Your way forward is to have a better system. That’s very doable, while buying better player than the top4 isn´t.
That's what I was saying, I don't know what Rodgers system is and I don't think he does either. We might not compete with the big boys but even the next tier down having someone like Klopp in charge will convince players like Depay, Firmino, Lacazette and Vietto that we're ready to challenge, if you don't think having a big name manager with a proven track record and ability to develop players makes a difference then that's your prerogative, I whole-heartedly disagree.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
footy can be an incredible game.
a year ago we'd all accepted Liverpool were winning the league, and it was the absolute worst case scenario all round. We had a chump, and the second Fergie went, after spending so log overhauling Pool's titles, they instantly got one back.

So a year on, and the reduction in their threat is incredible.

3 unplayable forwards last year, this year for all different reasons, none of them have contributed barely anything.

Real hard job for Rodgers now. His fault for overachieving!

How will he overhaul the top 4?! Arsenal these days lash £40m a summer on a top player, Chelsea and City always do, and with the champions league re-entered we'll surely go big too.