g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

Rafateria

Not really sure what point you are making here. Who will the new arrivals replace in the team/on the bench? You can only have 11 on the pitch at any one time, no matter how big your squad, how much of an improvement will they be? Like I said, they aren't bad players, but then you don't currently have bad players, but if you want to step up, it won't be by buying a mid-table squad.

Also, you are suggesting you have no one to replace Suarez, who created/scored almost half your goals last season, who is going to give you those stats now?
Stats : I'll refer you back to my comprehensive 'Goals' posts on p54 and the follow-up on p56 ;)

Improvement doesn't just come from the starting 11 because in today's game it's likely 13-14 will play in each match. We've improved in defence, in midfield and Aspas was the best we could manage as a substitute last season, which probably tells you all you need to know ;)

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Not really sure what point you are making here. Who will the new arrivals replace in the team/on the bench? You can only have 11 on the pitch at any one time, no matter how big your squad, how much of an improvement will they be? Like I said, they aren't bad players, but then you don't currently have bad players, but if you want to step up, it won't be by buying a mid-table squad.
Who is doing that? Buying three stronger players from a decent team doesn't mean you become that team. You're just creaming the squad. Like United have with Shaw, or is he mid-table standard?

If Liverpool bought three players from United (RVP, Rooney and Mata) do Liverpool indicate an aspiration to come 7th or would it be a case of buying the best from a mixed squad of players?

It's a bit superficial to label these buys mid-table, no?

NK86

But you have?
I mentioned, "Of the times I have seen him" in each of my posts. While you seem to be dealing in absolutes and posting youtube vids and opinions of Saints fans to back up what you are saying.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I mentioned, "Of the times I have seen him" in each of my posts. While you seem to be dealing in absolutes and posting youtube vids and opinions of Saints fans to back up what you are saying.
You claimed he didn't take on players and had never seen him do so, all I did was post proof that he has done. Fair game really.

Just like you I'm opining on things I believe to be so - absolutes is possibly overstating my approach.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Stats : I'll refer you back to my comprehensive 'Goals' posts on p54 and the follow-up on p56 ;)

Improvement doesn't just come from the starting 11 because in today's game it's likely 13-14 will play in each match. We've improved in defence, in midfield and Aspas was the best we could manage as a substitute last season, which probably tells you all you need to know ;)
I can't read through all that!

However, I not so sure you are getting much of an upgrade, as you say yourself, you only play 13/14 players a match, so what you have brought needs to be an upgrade to improve overall, and you are forgetting that you no longer have Suarez, which will be a substantial downgrade. Whether the small incremental upgrades will be enough to counteract the substantial downgrade, I would have to doubt.

Who is doing that? Buying three stronger players from a decent team doesn't mean you become that team. You're just creaming the squad. Like United have with Shaw, or is he mid-table standard?

If Liverpool bought three players from United (RVP, Rooney and Mata) do Liverpool indicate an aspiration to come 7th or would it be a case of buying the best from a mixed squad of players?

That post is a bit ridiculous, comparing RvP/Rooney/Mata to Lambert/Lallana & the other one. Try swapping Brenda for Moyes for a season & see where it gets you.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool

However, I not so sure you are getting much of an upgrade, as you say yourself, you only play 13/14 players a match, so what you have brought needs to be an upgrade to improve overall, and you are forgetting that you no longer have Suarez, which will be a substantial downgrade. Whether the small incremental upgrades will be enough to counteract the substantial downgrade, I would have to doubt.

That post is a bit ridiculous, comparing RvP/Rooney/Mata to Lambert/Lallana & the other one. Try swapping Brenda for Moyes for a season & see where it gets you.
Nail-on-head. It seems amongst all of these declarations of Liverpool's impending demise few are prepared to acknowledge the impact of a strong manager despite every United fan now claiming the good times are back due to a change of manager.

Rafateria

He has just signed for you lot and correct me if I am wrong, you have not seen a lot of him.
Mate. You really need to give this one up. Back there in post #2289 you said "from what little I have seen of him", now I can't speak for anyone else on here but personally I have seen quite a bit of him. Not a lot else for me to do when the footies on (since that's usually in the late evenings or early mornings here !), having lived in Shanghai for the past 17 yrs, but being a subscriber to Star Sports (Asia's version of Sky - same ownership) I get every single PL match live, so I've seen a lot of Southampton and yes, because they were a damn good team to watch last season, more especially so because they had a similar style to ours, I watched them a lot. Personally I thought Lallana was very under-rated last season (that's mainly going from fans' comments on LFC fan sites / RedCafe and when he was chosen for England) but I guess that's because not many fans see anything more than MotD and their own clubs' games. He really is a very high quality player.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
It's not really ridiculous, you and others have pointed out several times the Liverpool buying 'mid table' players comment.
Yet that's what United have done isn't it, bearing in mind you finished mid-table last season yourselves, so if someone buys a player from United they are buying mid-table players too....?

The new players need to be given a chance.

Shark

@NotShark

Shaw is 18 and went for a record fee for a teenager for having the potential of being one of the best LB's in the game in a few years. The players you bought are already in their prime and unlikely to get better. Big difference.

Rafateria

However, I not so sure you are getting much of an upgrade, as you say yourself, you only play 13/14 players a match, so what you have brought needs to be an upgrade to improve overall, and you are forgetting that you no longer have Suarez, which will be a substantial downgrade.
Sorry mate but I'm not going to re-write it all again just to answer your questions since it's all back there in Black & White (and no I haven't forgotten Suarez - that's also included back there) ! :D

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Nail-on-head. It seems amongst all of these declarations of Liverpool's impending demise few are prepared to acknowledge the impact of a strong manager despite every United fan now claiming the good times are back due to a change of manager.
You've lost me again I'm afraid. Moyes turned a Championship winning side into a mid table side.

NK86

You claimed he didn't take on players and had never seen him do so, all I did was post proof that he has done. Fair game really.

Just like you I'm opining on things I believe to be so - absolutes is possibly overstating my approach.
Yeah I am sure you have every right to opine on things you feel are correct. I think we can leave it at that. I feel he is a good player who will thrive in Rodger's system but he is not a talisman or some player who will draw players towards him and free up space for other attackers.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
You've lost me again I'm afraid. Moyes turned a Championship winning side into a mid table side.
You can't just blame it on Moyes. Many on this thread have said United have 4 world class players - surely it's not just the fault of the manager?

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Shaw is 18 and went for a record fee for a teenager for having the potential of being one of the best LB's in the game in a few years. The players you bought are already in their prime and unlikely to get better. Big difference.
Markovic is only 20 with a lot of potential to get better, Can is the same ago too, Lallana is hardly old either.
Not exactly in their prime.

Manucho the boss

Watched them v City last night, both looked dynamic in attack like last season.

What I notice looking at the Liverpool squad now is the difference in the quality they'll have on the bench. I remember at times last season they had to throw on Aspas, Moses, Cissokho, Alberto, Brad Smith (against Chelsea I think). City basically had a full season to acclimatize Navas and Jovetic to the Prem, expect big things from both this season while Fernando looks a powerhouse in centre mid.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Watched them v City last night, both looked dynamic in attack like last season.

What I notice looking at the Liverpool squad now is the difference in the quality they'll have on the bench. I remember at times last season they had to throw on Aspas, Moses, Cissokho, Alberto, Brad Smith (against Chelsea I think). City basically had a full season to acclimatize Navas and Jovetic to the Prem, expect big things from both this season while Fernando looks a powerhouse in centre mid.
Yes, exactly what we have been saying.

Shark

@NotShark
Markovic is only 20 with a lot of potential to get better, Can is the same ago too, Lallana is hardly old either.
Not exactly in their prime.
I was mainly referring to the players you bought from Southampton. None of them are going to improve much, if at all. They're proper mid table signing's.

Shaw was the player to get from Southampton.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
My point is that there's very few on here acknowledging the significant impact Rodgers had on last season's form. It's Suarez, Suarez and more Suarez. Whereas according to the majority on here the world class players at United couldn't operate under a poor manager and will do much better for LvG.

In short, do people not believe Rodgers will work out a post-Suarez formula that can work given the amazing job he did last season?

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I was mainly referring to the players you bought from Southampton. None of them are going to improve much, if at all. They're proper mid table signing's.

Shaw was the player to get from Southampton.
Lovren looks like what we need at the back. Lallana is now an international having scored more than most AMs last season and Lambert is the epitome of Plan B squad player - low risk buy.

Shaw looks a good buy, I agree.

Shark

@NotShark
Lovren looks like what we need at the back. Lallana is now an international having scored more than most AMs last season and Lambert is the epitome of Plan B squad player - low risk buy.

Shaw looks a good buy, I agree.
I'm not dissing your signings from Southampton by the way, I think they all have something good to offer you. I just don't think that Shaw is comparable to them when talking about signing mid table players from mid table clubs.

Rafateria

In their prime and unlikely to get better ? You were saying ?

Lallana - just 26 (May) entering his prime
Lovren just 25 (July) for a CB that's not even reached prime age yet
Markovic - 20 yo
Can - 20 yo
Manquillo - RB (2 yr loan deal with option to buy TBC but almost done) : 20 yo
Origi - 19 yo

That's so far, another 3 signings expected (even more so after Rodgers saying so today).

Of course no point in mentioning Lambert because every knows why he's here and that he only has 2-3 yrs to go at most.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I'm not dissing your signings from Southampton by the way, I think they all have something good to offer you. I just don't think that Shaw is comparable to them when talking about signing mid table players from mid table clubs.
Depends on which way you look at it, Lovren is an excellent centre half, one of the best in the league last season. An established player.
Just what we need in our circumstances, quite apart from anything else is still only 25 and with scope for even further improvement.
Lallana is a class player, but to say he cannot improve with better players around him is naive.

You need Shaw to be good for what you paid for him.

Last edited:

Shark

@NotShark
In their prime and unlikely to get better ? You were saying ?

Lallana - just 26 (May) entering his prime
Lovren just 25 (July) for a CB that's not even reached prime age yet
Markovic - 20 yo
Can - 20 yo
Manquillo - RB (2 yr loan deal with option to buy TBC but almost done) : 20 yo
Origi - 19 yo

That's so far, another 3 signings expected (even more so after Rodgers saying so today).

Of course no point in mentioning Lambert because every knows why he's here and that he only has 2-3 yrs to go at most.
I was talking about the Southampton signings, hence the comparison with Shaw.

NK86

Mate. You really need to give this one up. Back there in post #2289 you said "from what little I have seen of him", now I can't speak for anyone else on here but personally I have seen quite a bit of him. Not a lot else for me to do when the footies on (since that's usually in the late evenings or early mornings here !), having lived in Shanghai for the past 17 yrs, but being a subscriber to Star Sports (Asia's version of Sky - same ownership) I get every single PL match live, so I've seen a lot of Southampton and yes, because they were a damn good team to watch last season, more especially so because they had a similar style to ours, I watched them a lot. Personally I thought Lallana was very under-rated last season (that's mainly going from fans' comments on LFC fan sites / RedCafe and when he was chosen for England) but I guess that's because not many fans see anything more than MotD and their own clubs' games. He really is a very high quality player.
Fair enough. I think we will have to wait and watch. Being a big fish in a small pond is easier than being just another fish in a big lake. But as you said, maybe he will step up.

Rafateria

That's the 'ol red-tinted specs mate. He has just had his 'break-out season (don't you just hate Americanisms) and (from the data I can find) has not scored a goal for Southampton and has only ever had one assist as well, in his top level career, he still has a lot to prove and it could go either way. He will need careful use and kid gloves (excuse the pun) to reach his full potential so don't expect him to be playing in every game next season.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Bigger stadium, bigger turnover and bigger wage capacity.

Its pretty straight forward.
If you're talking about cache and currency then go ahead, but such things don't speak of a club's size in the truer sense.

The two biggest clubs in England are United then Liverpool. They are footballing royalty, they have an esteemed history, together they have won club football's most significant trophy 8 times and the league 38 times. When Liverpool were heading towards a league title last season it was huge news. It took hold of a lot of footballing parlance. Significantly so.

The fact that Sky gives Liverpool disproportionate coverage, even in the fallow times, with record viewing figures speaks of where Liverpool stand on the pantheon of footballing stages.

It's a nice WUM debate to talk of Sanchez etc but such things are essentially transient and the reality is not so superficial. Liverpool are a bigger club than Arsenal. To say otherwise is wilfully antagonistic at worse and misguided at best.

Sam

People are writing Liverpool off far to easily. Yes they've lost Suarez, but they've got a good team, full of pace, and confidence throughout. As things stand (i.e no more additions) I wouldn't be surprised at all if they finish above us again. In fact, I expect they will.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
If you're talking about cache and currency then go ahead, but such things don't speak of a club's size in the truer sense.

The two biggest clubs in England are United then Liverpool. They are footballing royalty, they have an esteemed history, together they have won club football's most significant trophy 8 times and the league 38 times. When Liverpool were heading towards a league title last season it was huge news. It took hold of a lot of footballing parlance. Significantly so.

The fact that Sky gives Liverpool disproportionate coverage, even in the fallow times, with record viewing figures speaks of where Liverpool stand on the pantheon of footballing stages.

It's a nice WUM debate to talk of Sanchez etc but such things are essentially transient and the reality is not so superficial. Liverpool are a bigger club than Arsenal. To say otherwise is wilfully antagonistic at worse and misguided at best.
When Arsenals best player wants to join Liverpool you will have a point. But it was only last summer that your best player was desperate to join Arsenal.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
When Arsenals best player wants to join Liverpool you will have a point. But it was only last summer that your best player was desperate to join Arsenal.
Oh well. Took you to water but can't make you drink.

gasmanc

Banned
Are we still doing this? I thought the Caf discarded this lazy comparison when Sturridge started scoring all the time. The guy matches the scoring rate of most top European strikers over 18 months but he's just exactly like a United player who would be just as good but managers decide not to pick him.
18 months paired next to a player that creates havoc, he wasn't exactly pulling up trees at Chelsea. Showed his genuine quality at the World Cup for me but don't get me wrong I think he's a good striker, trouble is, if your going to be pushing those very top spots you need a great goal scorer not a good one, see Chelsea/Arsenal last season. You can point to RVP season before last under Ferguson for more evidence.
It's also very reasonable to say that last years bottle job will have its impact.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Sterlings touch and then finish for his goal last night was fantastic. His finish for his offside goal was also great and it's making me worry that he could have a season where he gets close to 20 league goals. He is so fast with such great balance that he frightens the life out of any defender.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
18 months paired next to a player that creates havoc, he wasn't exactly pulling up trees at Chelsea. Showed his genuine quality at the World Cup for me but don't get me wrong I think he's a good striker, trouble is, if your going to be pushing those very top spots you need a great goal scorer not a good one, see Chelsea/Arsenal last season. You can point to RVP season before last under Ferguson for more evidence.
It's also very reasonable to say that last years bottle job will have its impact.
Of which Welbeck is neither.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Sterlings touch and then finish for his goal last night was fantastic. His finish for his offside goal was also great and it's making me worry that he could have a season where he gets close to 20 league goals. He is so fast with such great balance that he frightens the life out of any defender.
Aye. I think expecting 20 league goals is too much (though I wouldn't be shocked either) but the good thing is his game isn't all about goals. If he could add regular goals to his game this season it would be another huge step forward.

I'm generally cautious about our chances but I'm still really excited about Sterling. As one of the other Liverpool fans said (@B20 I think), it's hard not to get giddy over Sterling. Incredible to think that he's still a teenager!

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Aye. I think expecting 20 league goals is too much (though I wouldn't be shocked either) but the good thing is his game isn't all about goals. If he could add regular goals to his game this season it would be another huge step forward.

I'm generally cautious about our chances but I'm still really excited about Sterling. As one of the other Liverpool fans said (@B20 I think), it's hard not to get giddy over Sterling. Incredible to think that he's still a teenager!
Yep this season may come to soon to get around 20 but as you said it wouldn't be the biggest surprise if you go about games the same as you did last season. The thing you lot have to worry about Sterling though is that he is a Londoner at heart and he might be tempted by Chelsea or Arsenal if they where ever to show an interest.