Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Coutinho was quite average last season.
He was brilliant at times, but needs to add some consistency. I actually think with the other attacking options we now have he could have a great season.

NK86

No, he wasn't. Inconsistent yes, but his overall game, especially in midfield, was still very good.
Yes, maybe average was the wrong term. But he was massively inconsistent and didn't influence a lot in many games.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
You can find a similar vid of Young. Does not prove he does it regularly.
You said you hadn't seen him do that, so I provided evidence. If you want to reduce it to lazy Young comparisons then go ahead but you're finding negatives where there aren't any and your 'analysis' is found wanting when evidence to the contrary is presented.

NK86

You said you hadn't seen him do that, so I provided evidence. If you want to reduce it to lazy Young comparisons then go ahead but you're finding negatives where there aren't any and your 'analysis' is found wanting when evidence to the contrary is presented.
So one small vid, and it proves that he waltzes past players regularly? Is that your analysis? I can assure you I have seen similar skills from Young. Do you think he is someone who will create space for your attacking players in your team?

Richard Cranium

Hyperbole much?
No, they've been a bigger club than you without doubt from the mid nineties until present. I don't believe any player without emotional attachment to either club would rationally choose Liverpool over Arsenal.

Arsenal have been consistently in the top bracket of English teams for 15 or so years. You've had one season of knocking on the door after 25 years of mediocrity, and nobody is answering.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I think one thing is certain for Liverpool. We're all a bit worried by them. Sure they might struggle to replace Suarez and they won't get as many penalties as last year, but how the hell did Rodgers get them to second last year?

We've not been this worried in years. I don't think it's fair to be here saying they're going to definitely be bad. I think there's a chance they will be, but they might surprise everyone again.

Really excited for this year. Hope they are shit.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
So one small vid, and it proves that he waltzes past players regularly? Is that your analysis? I can assure you I have seen similar skills from Young. Do you think he is someone who will create space for your attacking players in your team?
Yes, certainly. Ask any Saints' fan.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
No, they've been a bigger club than you without doubt from the mid nineties until present. I don't believe any player without emotional attachment to either club would rationally choose Liverpool over Arsenal.

Arsenal have been consistently in the top bracket of English teams for 15 or so years. You've had one season of knocking on the door after 25 years of mediocrity, and nobody is answering.
Ok.

NK86

Yes, certainly. Ask any Saints' fan.
I don't know any Saints fans so I am not sure I can ask one. Maybe stroll around in their forums but I am not that interested either. The little I have seen. He is a good tidy player who will gel well with a team working well. Don't see him as someone like Sterling who would actually make things happen out of nothing or occupy the opposition defenders a lot on his own.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I don't know any Saints fans so I am not sure I can ask one. Maybe stroll around in their forums but I am not that interested either. The little I have seen. He is a good tidy player who will gel well with a team working well. Don't see him as someone like Sterling who would actually make things happen out of nothing or occupy the opposition defenders a lot on his own.
He scored 9 goals last season, not bad, if he can get that many this season for us that's a good return.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Same as what I think.

NK86

He scored 9 goals last season, not bad, if he can get that many this season for us that's a good return.
I don't disagree. Just was pointing out that as an individual he won't be someone who will open up spaces for your other attacking threats. If anything, he will need Sterling and co to open up space for him to play well. That's why I said in a good and well gelled team he would do well.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
In the same way that a load of Everton players were never going to improve United last season, a load of Southampton players aren't going to improve Scousepool this season. It's not that they are bad players, they are very good PL players, but it's not what any team needs to challenge for top honours.

I really only see Lambert as a good buy, cheap, guaranteed to get you goals, it's a dream for him to play at the club so he'll be happy as a bit part/super sub.

Glanville95

I think one thing is certain for Liverpool. We're all a bit worried by them. Sure they might struggle to replace Suarez and they won't get as many penalties as last year, but how the hell did Rodgers get them to second last year?

We've not been this worried in years. I don't think it's fair to be here saying they're going to definitely be bad. I think there's a chance they will be, but they might surprise everyone again.

Really excited for this year. Hope they are shit.
They certainly aren't going to drastically drop off. That assertion is ridiculous as Rodgers was just as pivotal to Liverpool's second placed finish as anyone else. However, I do think that Suarez is irreplaceable in some aspects of Liverpools play and he was vying with Rodgers for Liverpool's most influential figure. He is a truly outstanding player and miles ahead of any other Liverpool player currently.

They have rectified other weaknesses in the side though. People can't really question their depth anymore, save for a few areas, as it is more or less pretty good and I do think Lovren and Sakho can form an impressive partnership at the back - permitting Rodgers' approach to games isn't purely gung-ho and always on the front foot. Their defence on paper last season was pretty average, but it was made to look worse due to the incessant, attacking play along with Gerrard as the last line of defence in midfield.

In summary, they have a squad better equipped to deal with multiple competitions, they are in the process of rectifying their defence and they still have the manager that brought out the best in the team. On the other hand, they have lost the one player who had absolute star quality and they won't benefit from the same continuity they had in the team for large parts of the season last year.

With all that in mind, I predict a top four battle, but I'm not going to say where they will finish.

Rafateria

Might need to do some research...
Ha ha I was just thinking - bloody hell do I have to find these videos AGAIN !

Coutinho was quite average last season. Sterling is a brilliant prospect and I think he will be your best player this season. Lallana again is not the type to waltz past defenders. I have not seen him actually do that. A good team player but not someone who will create space for others. Markovic I have no clue about so cannot comment.
You need to work on your research before jumping in mate ;)

Lallana is bloody magic at skipping past people. Coutinho blows hot and cold but could never be described as average.

Here's a better video of Lallana - yes, he does it regularly.

Markovic :

Rafateria

List what each team has won in the past 10 years. Here. Now .

Rafateria

In the same way that a load of Everton players were never going to improve United last season, a load of Southampton players aren't going to improve Scousepool this season. It's not that they are bad players, they are very good PL players, but it's not what any team needs to challenge for top honours.

I really only see Lambert as a good buy, cheap, guaranteed to get you goals, it's a dream for him to play at the club so he'll be happy as a bit part/super sub.
The one question to ask yourself is .. are they better than the players they are replacing ? And since none of them are 'replacing' Suarez I think you have your answer - which is slightly different to your assumption.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Because the title of the video is the focus. Hmmm.
Bloody hell, you're touchy aren't you? It was just a fun remark cos of the stupid name of the video. Of course it's a good goal, but like often with responses to posts showing ONE instance to contradict the quoted message, it doesn't prove nor show anything. Apart that Lallana once scored a goal 'similar to Messi and Iniesta' :lol:

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
One of my closest work colleagues is a Saints's fan and he was banging on about him needing to go to the World a Cup last season due to how good he was.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
We'd lose that by a landslide, mate. I looked it up:

Arsenal:
  • 2 FA Cups
  • 10 Top 4 placements.
Total: 12 trophies

Liverpool FC:
  • 1 Champions League
  • 1 Fa Cup
  • 1 League Cup
  • 5 Top 4 placements.
Total: 8 trophies.

:(

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Bloody hell, you're touchy aren't you? It was just a fun remark cos of the stupid name of the video. Of course it's a good goal, but like often with responses to posts showing ONE instance to contradict the quoted message, it doesn't prove nor show anything. Apart that Lallana once scored a goal 'similar to Messi and Iniesta' :lol:
Fair enough, but I was just replying to poster who stated he'd never seen Lallana go past a player - it was fair game to show the clip.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool

Arsenal:
  • 2 FA Cups
  • 10 Top 4 placements.

Liverpool FC:
  • 1 Champions League
  • 1 Fa Cup
  • 1 League Cup
  • 5 Top 4 placements.

True that

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Sanchez or Ozil would never have signed for Liverpool. That's the difference.

Liverpool are a relic of the past in terms of big trophies. Arsenal are on that road to it has to be said. They need a league title soon.

Raul Madrid

Arsenal:
  • 2 FA Cups
  • 10 Top 4 placements.

Liverpool FC:
  • 1 Champions League
  • 1 Fa Cup
  • 1 League Cup
  • 5 Top 4 placements.

You have left some trophies out for both teams. Don't forget the stamina league and the moral victory cups. There is also some beat united and beat Chelsea cups in there too :p.

From the telegraph:

Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger congratulated Manchester City on Thursday, saying it would take "a miracle" for the club not to win the Premier League title.
Arsenal were top of the Premier League for 128 days this term but faded in recent months and leaders Manchester City now hold a two-point advantage over Liverpool heading into the final day of the season.
In the end it was Arsenal's lack of goals and bad results away from home against other title contenders which ultimately cost them.
"We have been 128 days top of the league, so we won the stamina league, but we failed in some big games away from home".

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
15-10 then in the trophy count. feck.
Liverpool in the last five years. 1 League cup. Once in the top 4.

Arsenal in the last five years. 1 FA Cup. Five times in the top 4.

You can see why Sanchez choose Arsenal especially now Suarez has left.

mu4c_20le

He said from mid-nineties, so to make it easier, thats when Wenger took over and started implementing his style.

Arsenal: 3 PL titles, 5 FA Cups, 4 Community Shields
L'Pool: 2 FA Cups, 3 League Cups, 1 Champions League

More importantly though is the football that they played back then, as well as the Invincibles. There is no question that Arsenal were miles ahead of Liverpool both in terms of popularity and success. Also this is not meant as a dig but when I was looking at club honours I couldn't resist a chuckle when looking at Liverpools title wins actually date back to over a century ago.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool in the last five years. 1 League cup. Once in the top 4.

Arsenal in the last five years. 1 FA Cup. Five times in the top 4.

You can see why Sanchez choose Arsenal especially now Suarez has left.
But no genuine title races for Arsenal...

Anyway, the idea that Arsenal are "a lot bigger" is nonsense.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
He said from mid-nineties, so to make it easier, thats when Wenger took over and started implementing his style.

Arsenal: 3 PL titles, 5 FA Cups, 4 Community Shields
L'Pool: 2 FA Cups, 3 League Cups, 1 Champions League

More importantly though is the football that they played back then, as well as the Invincibles. There is no question that Arsenal were miles ahead of Liverpool both in terms of popularity and success. Also this is not meant as a dig but when I was looking at club honours I couldn't resist a chuckle when looking at Liverpools title wins actually date back to over a century ago.
Really?

Also, Community Shields? If that counts then Liverpool actually won it in 2006 and the Super Cup in 2009.

NK86

One of my closest work colleagues is a Saints's fan and he was banging on about him needing to go to the World a Cup last season due to how good he was.
Won't you agree that fans tend to overrate their own team's stars?

mu4c_20le

Really?

Also, Community Shields? If that counts then Liverpool actually won it in 2006 and the Super Cup in 2009.
I do believe that Arsenal in the late nineties were extremely popular because of the football that they played. Back in the days of Henry, Pires, Ljungberg, Vieira, they not only played beautifully but they were also ruthless, and physical (Vieira, Lauren, Keown). I honestly believe they were almost as popular as Barca back then, thats how big they were. Besides being our main title rivals they came close to winning the CL a few times, all while keeping spending to minimal levels.

Rafateria

Arsenal:
  • 2 FA Cups
  • 10 Top 4 placements.

Liverpool FC:
  • 1 Champions League
  • 1 Fa Cup
  • 1 League Cup
  • 5 Top 4 placements.

Ha ha - I hope you're taking the piss because Top 4 does not count as a trophy !

so (and winning the CL is the pinnacle of course - especially so for top players):

Arsenal:
  • 2 FA Cups
Total: 2 trophies

Liverpool FC:
  • 1 Champions League
  • 1 FA Cup
  • 1 League Cup
  • 1 Super Cup
Total: 4 trophies.

Rafateria

No, I said the past 10 years, why would we be considering the last 20 years when trying to ascertain a club's standing today ? To be honest do you think the likes of Sanchez, Reus, Cavani etc. actually care about anything past the last 2-3 seasons ? Fans do, players when considering a move don't because times change so fast.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
The one question to ask yourself is .. are they better than the players they are replacing ? And since none of them are 'replacing' Suarez I think you have your answer - which is slightly different to your assumption.
Not really sure what point you are making here. Who will the new arrivals replace in the team/on the bench? You can only have 11 on the pitch at any one time, no matter how big your squad, how much of an improvement will they be? Like I said, they aren't bad players, but then you don't currently have bad players, but if you want to step up, it won't be by buying a mid-table squad.

Also, you are suggesting you have no one to replace Suarez, who created/scored almost half your goals last season, who is going to give you those stats now?