Liverpool - 2017/18

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
In an ideal world they get Van Dijk and a good left back so they line-up like this:

Mignolet
Clyne - Matip - VVD - Left Back
Can
Lallana - Coutinho
Mane - Firmino - Salah
That's not a bad lineup. The backup however...

Surely wouldn't be a bad option if issues can be sorted out. He's not great on the ball which I guess Klopp isn't keen on but he's arguably the best defender out of Liverpool's current centre back options.
He certainly is good, but I don't think it's happening. He's actually not too bad on the ball and can place a pass, he just looks like Traore 2.0 when doing it.

I say the same thing irl, and I would've posted the same message on any given Liverpool fan forum. If you want to know how this is going to end, just look at the patterns, look at the last 4 or 5 transfer windows, especially when it comes to players such as Mkhitaryan, Willian, Salah, Brandt etc. etc. What happens every time is the club stalls negotiations and refuses to pay the asking price, then another club swoops in, and we end up going after couple of players from the PL that aren't that highly rated. This then results in disastrous seasons.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, but so far there's little difference between what Rodgers had to deal with in the window before his CL campaign, and what appears to be obstacles in Klopp's window before a massive campaign like that.
Yea, I've noticed this pattern too. I hope with Klopp and a new transfer team in place we'll be better at doing this!

notcool

Supports
a
If we wanted a winger, Salah would have been a good buy. Can't think of a left-footed realistic winger who would be better. Probably wouldn't fit well with Jose though.

Edit: but this is a Liverpool thread.

Glanville95

Good signing considering his numbers over the past two seasons for Roma, but he didn't get much of a look-in at Chelsea and I'm not sure who he dislodges in Liverpool's starting eleven. Adds much needed depth for sure and ensures there isn't a distinct drop in quality if one of Coutinho, Firmino or Mane is missing.

Briman63

Supports
Liverpool
Salah is a really good start to the window. There'll be a few more in before the end of the summer. So far, Klopp's transfer activity makes a lot more sense than any of our managers since Rafa.

Do you feel like you have to be really critical because you're on a Man Utd forum? Because that's how you come across.

It's not even mid June and it sounds like you already need to get the Valium out.
I've seen a few of our fans doing this, I understand and respect the fact were on a UTD site but I feel that some of our fans on here feel like they need to do this, whether its to make themselves look good or to fit in I don't know but its uncalled for, we have a couple of UTD fans on our site and they never do this.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I've seen a few of our fans doing this, I understand and respect the fact were on a UTD site but I feel that some of our fans on here feel like they need to do this, whether its to make themselves look good or to fit in I don't know but its uncalled for, we have a couple of UTD fans on our site and they never do this.
Why is it uncalled for? Our transfer windows the last couple of seasons have been very hit and miss, I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise. Bringing in Salah is definitely a good start to the offseason, but we need a lot more reinforcements if we want to compete on multiple fronts next season, simply because our squad is too thin and we need to add quality as well. It's a big, big Summer for us.

Briman63

Supports
Liverpool
Why is it uncalled for? Our transfer windows the last couple of seasons have been very hit and miss, I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise. Bringing in Salah is definitely a good start to the offseason, but we need a lot more reinforcements if we want to compete on multiple fronts next season, simply because our squad is too thin and we need to add quality as well. It's a big, big Summer for us.
I totally agree with that comment, its a fair comment and your right but im talking about other comments on here from our fans who constantly criticise our team and manager for no other reason than to fit in and that's uncalled for, I seen a comment the other day from one of our fans saying we would fail in the CL and we'll finish mid table and yet that was the complete opposite of what he says on the LFC site.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
If they buy VVD and Salah for the prices quoted that is about them done with their shopping for the summer, will be a £85-95m splurge.

Lizard

Supports
Liverpool
I totally agree with that comment, its a fair comment and your right but im talking about other comments on here from our fans who constantly criticise our team and manager for no other reason than to fit in and that's uncalled for, I seen a comment the other day from one of our fans saying we would fail in the CL and we'll finish mid table and yet that was the complete opposite of what he says on the LFC site.
Not me. I used to post on a smaller local Liverpool fan site, but eventually most of users had me on "ignore" because I kept insisting Henderson was shite and that Carroll will never ever become good, and that we've all been played hard by Comolli.
Actually at this point only few people had me on ignore, but then I started calling for Kenny to get the sack and outside of this one moderator, everyone got me on ignore because "I was insulting a club legend", so that guy would occasionally quote me in his posts and that was the only way they got any exposure on forums.

I think that's the main reason I frequent a Man Utd forum, I'm way too pessimistic and "disrespectful" to legends to ever fit in with the regular internet-based fans.

Briman63

Supports
Liverpool
If they buy VVD and Salah for the prices quoted that is about them done with their shopping for the summer, will be a £85-95m splurge.
Klopp's been told he has a transfer fund of approx £200 mill, whether that includes money from sales as well I don't know but it will certainly be a lot more than £95 mill.

SwansonsTache

Klopp's been told he has a transfer fund of approx £200 mill, whether that includes money from sales as well I don't know but it will certainly be a lot more than £95 mill.
Yeah, we both know £200m from FSG in one single window won't happen.

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
Rumour has it that Klopp could have any thing between £100m to £200m to spend this summer. Only time will tell if that's true. Although I can't imagine he would spend so much on one player when we obviously need at least 5 if the kitty is at the lower end of the rumoured budget

SwansonsTache

but you think they would spend that much on just two when we need so much more?
Perhaps they've realised that a change of strategy in order? No more signing discount vikings like Ragnar of the Klavan for £4m but rather splurge on where you have clear weaknesses.

Reckon Klippity Klopp will pound for a DM from the German league as well, but that will probably be it.

Rest will be Solanke type signings.

A good DM (Goretzka \ Geis?) and a quality CB and you've fixed your two most glaring deficiencies.

Lizard

Supports
Liverpool
Apparently VVD told Klopp he wants to join US rather than City, for some reason.
Says more about how little most players think of Guardiola, rather than how good we are with the transfer market, in my opinion.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
First time we'd pay more than £35m for a player and it's a CB who had one good year in the Premier League, not exactly a signing I get super excited about. It might fix our defensive problems, but I still think there are alternatives available that would be equally as good and cost half the quoted fee we'll pay for Van Dijk.

I'm okay with it though as long as it doesn't affect our chances to sign Keita and a 20 goal/season striker.

TheBarnacle

Supports
Liverpool
Apparently VVD told Klopp he wants to join US rather than City, for some reason.
Says more about how little most players think of Guardiola, rather than how good we are with the transfer market, in my opinion.
Would you kindly stop with that negative crap? That must be the first time I have ever heard someone say their club got a player because the pull of Pep is too weak.

Rafateria

Perhaps they've realised that a change of strategy in order? No more signing discount vikings like Ragnar of the Klavan for £4m but rather splurge on where you have clear weaknesses.

Reckon Klippity Klopp will pound for a DM from the German league as well, but that will probably be it.

Rest will be Solanke type signings.

A good DM (Goretzka \ Geis?) and a quality CB and you've fixed your two most glaring deficiencies.
Klopp has said multiple times that he doesn't / won't play with an out and out DM. Which is why I guess Keita is so interesting, great defensive stats but also creative/offensive too. If not Keita then I don't know who because that's another £50m right there and we know 100% Klopp is/has been after him.

Nothing wrong with Klavan for what he was supposed to be - he was signed as 4th CB and would likely have only seen match time in early FAC or the LC .... then the Sahko fiasco promoted him.

Rafateria

Such bollocks. You make the most outlandish / ridiculous remarks from time to time. Pep is rightly regarded as one of the best managers in the game.

Rafateria

A number of other bookies have also suspended betting or pushed the odds out to 1/10 or something ridiculous.

Not sure I'm on board with £60m but it kills a few myths if true, such as LFC wouldn't go to that level or that we can't compete with City / Chelsea in the market due to wages (or location in Arsenal / Chelsea's cases). If .... it's true.

That said the price won't matter if he stops those annoying leaks at the back and knocks 10 goals off our 'conceded' column.

Rafateria

First time we'd pay more than £35m for a player and it's a CB who had one good year in the Premier League, not exactly a signing I get super excited about. It might fix our defensive problems, but I still think there are alternatives available that would be equally as good and cost half the quoted fee we'll pay for Van Dijk.

I'm okay with it though as long as it doesn't affect our chances to sign Keita and a 20 goal/season striker.
Name them. Then in your own words explain why LFC / City and Chelsea don't seem to think so ? I mean they all have any number of highly paid scouts so why haven't they seen what you say you can see ? Hence I'd like to see who you are touting as being superior .. and available.

Not that I necessarily disagree as there are other quality CBs out there of course, some better by far perhaps, but there is usually a reason why a player is so expensive (age and contract come into the equation in this case too) and has a host of top clubs after his signature. And that he is e.g. maybe 25% better than say Lovren, is why the price jumps from £30m to £60m. The market is definitely not linear.

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
From BBC Sport

Virgil van Dijk: Southampton defender keen on Liverpool move

By Phil McNulty

Chief football writer

Liverpool are poised to win the race to sign Southampton's £50m-rated Netherlands defender Virgil van Dijk after it emerged Anfield is his preferred destination if he leaves St Mary's.

More to follow.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Name them. Then in your own words explain why LFC don't think so ?

Not that I necessarily disagree but there is usually a reason why a player is so expensive and has a host of top clubs after his signature. And that e.g. maybe 25% better than say Lovren is why the price jumps from £30m to £60m.
I honestly don't know, I'm not a professional scout but surely there has to be better value out there in Europe (or South America). It just seems a bit convenient to buy a PL defender who's had a very good year, even if it means we'll pay over the odds. I mean I could have identified him as a potential CB target, but I feel like scouts (not just ours, this goes for all PL teams) could do better in that regard. Not to mention that such an enormous fee will once again inflate the market which isn't really a good thing for Liverpool.

£44m + £8m in add-ons feels like a very good price to me though, and maybe the posters who say "what's an additional £15m in today's market" are right, yeah... I'm still just a tad worried that this will restrict us from buying Keita or a striker who knows where the goal is. If it doesn't, I couldn't care less how much we splash on Van Dijk.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
It's going to be shit or bust for Liverpool this year then.

Funny though how spending big is okay when they do it, after all the shit they've given us.

Given top four is not a given for any team these days, I'd be very pleased if they spend a lot of money and finish 5th or 6th.

montpelier

Such bollocks. You make the most outlandish / ridiculous remarks from time to time. Pep is rightly regarded as one of the best managers in the game.
No, I tentatively want to come in behind Lizzy on this one.

Maybe, VVD has had look at the 2 teams last year & thinks that Jurgen appears the more 'coherent' option in terms of tactics, team shape, blah blah blah - aside from during January obvs. And also has a better chance of playing consistently at LFC. <--- not intended snarkily in this context. Might be news on the grapevine Pep never washes his feet or something.

Fair play to VVD anyway for a bit of 'it's not always about the money' action - possibly...

Last edited:

Rafateria

I honestly don't know, I'm not a professional scout but surely there has to be better value out there in Europe (or South America). It just seems a bit convenient to buy a PL defender who's had a very good year, even if it means we'll pay over the odds. I mean I could have identified him as a potential CB target, but I feel like scouts (not just ours, this goes for all PL teams) could do better in that regard. Not to mention that such an enormous fee will once again inflate the market which isn't really a good thing for Liverpool.

£44m + £8m in add-ons feels like a very good price to me though, and maybe the posters who say "what's an additional £15m in today's market" are right, yeah... I'm still just a tad worried that this will restrict us from buying Keita or a striker who knows where the goal is. If it doesn't, I couldn't care less how much we splash on Van Dijk.
Absolutely with you 100% on Keita. However our defence has been an achilles heel for a while now and IF this goes most of the way to solving that issue, and is instrumental in securing Top 4 next season and doing well in cups, then it will be money well spent.

South America is too big a risk, the better players have already been signed up and left for Europe so that leaves youngsters and we can't afford to gamble again. In Europe most clubs near the respective tops of the better leagues now seem to know and inflate the fees for good players, that leaves scratching around looking for bargains in the lower echelons or paying the inflated fees. I think Christiansen may have been a much cheaper option but is he as good as VVD ? No, he's probably not, so again we come back to a non-linear transfer fee progression, 10% better = 25% increase in price, 25% better = double the fee. In the case of VVD it's a case of knowing what we've got, hence the fee. If he had been going to (or indeed still does go to) City or Chelsea we wouldn't be moaning about the figure - just acknowledge that he is more than likely going to improve their defences. So I'm glad he's signing for us (if it happens) and that we are taking a smaller known risk for a player instead of a greater unknown one.

Last edited:

Rafateria

It's going to be shit or bust for Liverpool this year then.

Funny though how spending big is okay when they do it, after all the shit they've given us.

Given top four is not a given for any team these days, I'd be very pleased if they spend a lot of money and finish 5th or 6th.
Why don't you recognise that we don't give shit because you spend big money (you've earned the right to it, it's not oil money) but on what the results are at the end of the day, investment must equal results in any boardroom (it's why we've slated our own board/scouting team for years). Same will apply next season to us now if as is likely we end up spending £150-200m.

Lizard

Supports
Liverpool
His whole "I'm a genius" thing just seems like an act, and media is in on it riding his... all the time. Bet people like me say this all the time, but I won't be convinced he's good at what he does until I see him manage a shit team. He's the football management equivalent of someone born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Why don't you recognise that we don't give shit because you spend big money (you've earned the right to it, it's not oil money) but on what the results are at the end of the day, investment must equal results in any boardroom (it's why we've slated our own board/scouting team for years). Same will apply next season to us now if as is likely we end up spending £150-200m.
We've won three trophies in two seasons since spending the money. We've underperformed in the league but it's been compensated rather nicely by the cups.

I think we still win the spend per trophy cup over the last 30 years ;)

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Backsliding much? The doomsday posts you were writing earlier appear a little premature, no?

Huge credit to LFC if they get this done.

beckbeck

I said Salah was a squad option because they are in for a rude awakening if they think they'll play Coutinho as CM. He takes too many risks and is much better suited at the wings.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I said Salah was a squad option because they are in for a rude awakening if they think they'll play Coutinho as CM. He takes too many risks and is much better suited at the wings.
Coutinho has never played as a winger. His best performances have probably come from deep.

Parry Gallister

If that happens, just the LB and the most pressing areas are covered early, fair play.

beckbeck

Coutinho has never played as a winger. His best performances have probably come from deep.
I'm pretty sure he has played as a winger plenty. Drifting from left to middle. He plays in Brazil NT in the right wing.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I'm pretty sure he has played as a winger plenty. Drifting from left to middle. He plays in Brazil NT in the right wing.
An attacker who drifts in isn't really a winger. Also, he's comfortably at his best through the middle knitting midfield and attack. Would be wasted out wide.