Liverpool - 2017/18

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, it does map out as 4-5 if no one leaves, innit. Which is maybe a few less than has been talked about before. Probably a good thing, makes it more like evolution than revolution, you could say - if you wished to do so.
We'll have to see how it totals up exactly. I wouldn't be opposed but we'd have to evaluate at the end with the amount of injuries we get and with multiple competitions we might need a couple more.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
We badly need a striker. If Firmino is out, who's going to be our second option? Origi isn't good enough and you can't rely on Sturridge to be fit for the whole season. If Lacazette even wants to consider joining us, we should throw £50m-£60m at Lyon asap.
I think Klopps is happy with Sturridge and origi behind Firmino. Solanke is the fallback.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Really?, you paid £30 million over the odds for a player you gave away for free a couple of seasons before because you didn't rate him.
Worst try at a wind up ever lol

Rafateria

A quite nice table on RAWK says LFC used 28 players last season comprised of 10 making debuts & 18 who weren't making debuts. Which I thought was a nice illustration of squad composition actually.

Debuts - 10

TAA, Ejaria, Grujic, Karius, Klavan,
Mane, Matip, Wijnaldum, Wilson, Woodburn

For the 18 I can get these atm

Ming, Clyne, Milner, Lovren, Lucas, Can, Henderson, Studge, Coutinho,
Firmino, Origi, Lallana,
Moreno, Gomez, Ings, Randall, Stewart, Ojo

Assuming your signing purely 1st team contending players & we keep 28 as the number - how many & who goes off of this list? And then how do you re-divide them between regular starters & back up?

Not enough bolds last year, innit? Although top total appearances last year was only 39 apparently.
Interesting question. The top appearances was not only an indication of how few games we played but also the incredible number of injuries we had to most of our top players.

For 2017/18 I doubt we'll see as many debuts though as I can't see many youngsters getting game time and being able to break through this season (maybe Brewster will get a game or two in the LC as a sub) so only players we bring in this Summer (I expect 7-8 but have only listed 5 below, plus Solanke), marked in Blue. Those in Red will be sold/released (not 100% on Lucas - depends on who comes in).

I also can't see us keeping all of these strikers and either Studge or Ings will depart, I'd prefer Studge to stay but also think Ings could suit Klopp so it's a tough decision (hence 29 listed below).

I expect we'll see something like the below in bold all seeing activity in 40+ games (meaning not just on the bench but on the pitch at least as a sub.) with the rest being squad fillers but most still seeing a fair bit of action (esp. Grujic, TAA, Origi and Ings) :

Ming, Clyne, Matip, Wijnaldum, Milner, new LB, new CB, new CM, Lovren, Can, Henderson, Studge, Coutinho, Mane, Salah (if and when done), Firmino, Lallana, new Striker,
TAA, Ings, Ejaria, Grujic, Gomez, Karius, Klavan, Origi, Wilson, Woodburn, Solanke.

Lizard

Supports
Liverpool
So, no Salah and no VVD.

It's gone exactly as I've thought it was going to go. Horribly, laughably wrong. :lol:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Just throw that £60m at Lyon now for Lacazette.

He'll probably agree to join us, we'll get him a private jet to get to Liverpool and send the jet to Donetsk instead of Liverpool, resulting in him signing for Shakhtar instead of us.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I'm now readying myself for a very underwhelming window, which in turn will lead to a poor season next year.

Basically what we've been doing since 2009.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Apologies if its elsewhere but what exactly did Liverpool do wrong? Have they publicly come out naming Van Dijk?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Aw feck! This is hilarious. Amateurs.

Brophs

The One and Only
"It's okay, lads, I'll just pop this grenade up my own arse for safe keeping. Literally nothing could go wr--..............oh!"

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Great to see Liverpool fecking up their transfers, eases the Griezmann pain a little. I hope that's them done with VVD for good now, he'd be a good player for them and they'd actually have quite a good defence if they managed to sign him.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Apologies if its elsewhere but what exactly did Liverpool do wrong? Have they publicly come out naming Van Dijk?
The last news was that Southampton will report Liverpool to the Premier League over illegal approach. Next thing, they officially apologize and drop their interest.

So, there must be serious evidence of illegal approach. Everybody is tapping players but how they manage to feck it up so seriously they needed to go out with official statement is nothing short of comical.

redNATION

The last report is that Southampton will report Liverpool to the Premier League over illegal approach. Next thing, they officially apologize and drop their interest.

So, there must be serious evidence of illegal approach. Everybody is tapping players but how they manage to feck it up so seriously they needed to go out with official statement is nothing short of comical.
You're right, 'tapping up' is common now, but what that normally means is approaching the player through his agent to tempt the player your way, without any direct contact with the player; but that usually entails agreeing to pay the agent a fee, hence why some clubs struggle to pull off big transfers. I suspect VVD's agent insisted on a fee that liverpool weren't willing to meet, and thought they could circumvent him by approaching VVD directly (talk of Klopp texting him constantly), and that's what's landed them in hot water. Speculation on my part, but I cant see what else they could have done as 'tapping up' through agents is so common now.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I can understand being reluctant to pay £60m for a defender, but things like this really do my head in. Why the feck would a club as big and rich as Liverpool haggle over a mere £7m if it means we could land one of our top targets so early in the Summer? FSG were happy to spend big for the Red Sox when they were in a position to compete, so they need to suck it up and do the same at Liverpool now, imo.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
You're right, 'tapping up' is common now, but what that normally means is approaching the player through his agent to tempt the player your way, without any direct contact with the player; but that usually entails agreeing to pay the agent a fee, hence why some clubs struggle to pull off big transfers. I suspect VVD's agent insisted on a fee that liverpool weren't willing to meet, and thought they could circumvent him by approaching VVD directly (talk of Klopp texting him constantly), and that's what's landed them in hot water. Speculation on my part, but I cant see what else they could have done as 'tapping up' through agents is so common now.
That theory is most likely scenario. Texting directly to the player was also pretty smart of Klopp if true.

Bwuk

I heard a rumour that apparently Klopp went and met VVD clearly without permission and that's what's caused this.

Could be total bollocks though as I'd imagine that happens all the time. Wonder if we will ever find out. Clearly they were scared of a ban or something or why would they of apologised.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
the VVD mess is one thing. a mess up one could on from.

The salah thing is more worrying and suggests we're sticking to our old patterns. Bid for targets whose valuations we've no intention of meeting, then gradually make our way to the bargain bin.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

The salah thing is more worrying and suggests we're sticking to our old patterns. Bid for targets whose valuations we've no intention of meeting, then gradually make our way to the bargain bin.
Wenger is taking notes wondering why the fck he didn't think of this. :) :(

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool

Another poor window and that's my patience with FSG completely gone. I expect this to be the same for a lot of fans. This was their chance.

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
So, no Salah and no VVD.

It's gone exactly as I've thought it was going to go. Horribly, laughably wrong. :lol:
Ahahah we're a complete joke! What were we doing? And what are we doing? Incompetence all around.

Jaybomb

They will sign English dross like they always do.

Chamberlain, Robertson, Keane, Pickford etc.

They were never gonna get Van Dijk. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if he simply chose City over them and this talk about him "preferring" Liverpool was all rubbish. A few years ago they said Remy had a heart issue during a medical when it was obvious he simply chose to join Chelsea instead. If that was true, he wouldn't be able to play for Chelsea, Newcastle and Palace.

Liverpool don't attract big players. They're dreaming if they think they're getting Lacazette, James Rodriguez, etc.

prath92

I think this will make them go big on Salah to please the fans at the very least.

johnamiri

Supports
Liverpool
I think this will make them go big on Salah to please the fans at the very least.
I think it will take more than salad to placate the fans. It's not even that VVD looks dead in the water. It's the total incompetence and lack of transfer know how that has pissed people off. Its the equivalent of someone coming from the gas board to fix your cooker and smoking in the meter cupboard after leaving the gas turned on. Shakes head and refuses another cup of tea

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
A serious question for Pool fans for a moment,

What do you expect next season from your top performers of 2016/17? Players like Mane, Firminho, Wijnaldum; Do you think they were playing at their peak and may decline/maintain or will they exceed?

johnamiri

Supports
Liverpool
A serious question for Pool fans for a moment,

What do you expect next season from your top performers of 2016/17? Players like Mane, Firminho, Wijnaldum; Do you think they were playing at their peak and may decline/maintain or will they exceed?
I would expect the better players to stay on top of their game. A lot depends on how many games they have to play and how much running they have to do. I really believe that last year with a bigger squad of reasonably talented players we could have pushed Chelsea all the way. When you looked at the bench it was mostly youth team players. God knows what will happen now. One thing, its not going to be is dull

Rafateria

I think it will take more than salad to placate the fans. It's not even that VVD looks dead in the water. It's the total incompetence and lack of transfer know how that has pissed people off. Its the equivalent of someone coming from the gas board to fix your cooker and smoking in the meter cupboard after leaving the gas turned on. Shakes head and refuses another cup of tea
Yeah. I'm not big on salad. A couple of bowls will do nothing to placate me the way I feel about that cnut that opened his big mouth to the media.

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
I think the only person in the Liverpool camp that is happy at this moment in time has to be Lovren.

I was all right for a while, I could smile for a while
But then I heard last night, we fecked it up alright
As we stopped and said "goodbye"
Aw we wished you well, and you could tell

That we are crying over you, crying over you
Then the Saints said "so long". left us standing all alone
Alone and crying, crying, crying crying
It's hard to understand but the thoughts we had
Can start me crying

Last edited:

prath92

I think the only person in the Liverpool camp that is happy at this moment in time has to be Lovren.

I was all right for a while, I could smile for a while
But then I heard last night, we fecked it up alright
As we stopped and said "goodbye"
Aw we wished you well, and you could tell

That we are crying over you, crying over you
Then the Saints said "so long". left us standing all alone
Alone and crying, crying, crying crying
It's hard to understand but the thoughts we had
Can start me crying
What's this?

Axkiko

This is one of the funniest thing happens i have ever seen during transfer window. Apologize for buy player. LOL