Liverpool - 2017/18

Nostradamus

Can’t even predict the past
First time we'd pay more than £35m for a player and it's a CB who had one good year in the Premier League, not exactly a signing I get super excited about. It might fix our defensive problems, but I still think there are alternatives available that would be equally as good and cost half the quoted fee we'll pay for Van Dijk.

I'm okay with it though as long as it doesn't affect our chances to sign Keita and a 20 goal/season striker.
Dont worry, it wont affect your chances to sign Naby Keita at all, as there has never been a realistic chance to get him and that wont change until next year.

Must be tough to understand, that Leipzig dont need your money and wont sell any of their highly rated assets and they have ruled out any possibility of Keita or Forsberg leaving. If you know Rangnick, then you know he is not playing around. They are going to stay, its really that simple.

In addition, Keita has not said a single word about wanting to leave, but that he only focusses on Leipzig and their next CL season instead. Bayern want him too, but they know its not possible this summer, so they are going to wait with patience until next summer to trigger his 50m€ clause. Dont think Liverpool would be serious competition for them.

This rumour is just laughable and of course English media will push it forward while ignoring all facts and statements of Leipzig and in the end nothing is going to happen.

Last edited:

beckbeck

Let's be honest, if Van Dijk's name was actually Paul Smith and he didn't have that exuberant hair and looks, he'd have 10% of the hype.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Let's be honest, if Van Dijk's name was actually Paul Smith and he didn't have that exuberant hair and looks, he'd have 10% of the hype.
Phil Jones was a future England captain and the next Duncan Edwards. What would his hype have been like had he been Phillius van Jonas?

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
First time we'd pay more than £35m for a player and it's a CB who had one good year in the Premier League, not exactly a signing I get super excited about. It might fix our defensive problems, but I still think there are alternatives available that would be equally as good and cost half the quoted fee we'll pay for Van Dijk.

I'm okay with it though as long as it doesn't affect our chances to sign Keita and a 20 goal/season striker.
Klopp doesn't share your reticence. In fact, his enthusiasm for VVD is probably due to the complete lack of good CBs in the league.

As for the fee. It's June 5. If this makes your eyes watery, they'll be bleeding by the end of August. Prices are absurd. That's the new normal

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Phil Jones was a future England captain and the next Duncan Edwards. What would his hype have been like had he been Phillius van Jonas?
He's been Phallus van Junited for about 3 years.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
The fact is that he is very good, but not in the same league as Bonucci, Chiellini, Piquè and so on.

Lizard

Supports
Liverpool
Here we go lads, it's all over.
Unbelievable scenes.

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
I don't know about Paul Smith but I know John Stones ain't that much of a looker but he certainly got hyped to shit went for £50m

Virgil van Dijk: Southampton to report Liverpool over approach

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
Isn't this the same as what Real Madrid use Marca for?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I can´t say I´ve seen a lot of van Dijk, as I never really watch Southhampton. He seems to be really highly rated though and has impressive stats, so if we get him it would obviously be great. 50m is a lot of money though, and I really hope it doesn't mean, that we won't strengthen in other areas where we need to. Imo we need at least 5 new players to be able to compete in 4 tournaments and splashing 50m on a CB is.. well, time will tell I guess.

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
60m for VVD is ridiculous.

No one can query the Pogba fee if this goes through!
Manchester United have launched a £113million bid for Monaco star Kylian Mbappe, according to reports in Spain.

It is also claimed Manchester City have tabled an offer worth £104m for the 18-year-old.

He scored 15 league goals and six in Europe and is now valued at over £100m after a sensational breakthrough season with the Ligue 1 champions.

Real Madrid and Arsenal have been showing interest in the youngster but Spanish newspaper AS claim United have made a stunning £113m offer.

Now that's ridiculous if true

TheReligion

Abusive
Manchester United have launched a £113million bid for Monaco star Kylian Mbappe, according to reports in Spain.

It is also claimed Manchester City have tabled an offer worth £104m for the 18-year-old.

He scored 15 league goals and six in Europe and is now valued at over £100m after a sensational breakthrough season with the Ligue 1 champions.

Real Madrid and Arsenal have been showing interest in the youngster but Spanish newspaper AS claim United have made a stunning £113m offer.

Now that's ridiculous if true
60m for VVD is obscene and you know it

MUFC OK

VVD will be a great signing for them, exactly what they need. Salah I'm less sure about, and they seem to be neglecting the fact they need a 20 goal a season striker, which any challenging team needs in my opinion.

Briman63

Supports
Liverpool
VVD will be a great signing for them, exactly what they need. Salah I'm less sure about, and they seem to be neglecting the fact they need a 20 goal a season striker, which any challenging team needs in my opinion.
The season only finished 2 weeks ago, the transfer window doesn't open for another 3 weeks, our issue is not scoring goals, we scored 24 more goals than UTD last season and you have a 20+ goals a season Striker. our problem is defence and hopefully that's what we sort first.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Wait people think van dijks a looker? Great hair no doubt and tall but really?

Briman63

Supports
Liverpool
60m for VVD is ridiculous.

No one can query the Pogba fee if this goes through!
Really?, you paid £30 million over the odds for a player you gave away for free a couple of seasons before because you didn't rate him.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
It is, but you'd have to factor in we got Matip on a free and will likely sell Sakho for 30mill or thereabouts. It's astronomical but that is the way it goes in the current climate. Personally I'd love to return to a time where fans can pointlessly bicker over semi reasonable fees as that's what part of being a fan was all about. But now as a top PL club us fans can hardly moan cause we just look petty im relation to one another. I mean let's be honest can we even comprehend the gravitas of these prices? It's just become the norm now.

Clubs like Bayern and Juve can hoover up the best talent in their respective leagues for half \a third of the money pl clubs can. The money in the league is insane I'm not sure when the bubble bursts or if some sort of cap can even be imposed if that's even feasible

Don Juan Matus

It is, but you'd have to factor in we got Matip on a free and will likely sell Sakho for 30mill or thereabouts. It's astronomical but that is the way it goes in the current climate. Personally I'd love to return to a time where fans can pointlessly bicker over semi reasonable fees as that's what part of being a fan was all about. But now as a top PL club us fans can hardly moan cause we just look petty im relation to one another. I mean let's be honest can we even comprehend the gravitas of these prices? It's just become the norm now.

Clubs like Bayern and Juve can hoover up the best talent in their respective leagues for half \a third of the money pl clubs can. The money in the league is insane I'm not sure when the bubble bursts or if some sort of cap can even be imposed if that's even feasible
Net spend la..

NK86

Really?, you paid £30 million over the odds for a player you gave away for free a couple of seasons before because you didn't rate him.
Were you drunk when the whole Pogba to Juve situation occurred or are you just this plain ignorant all the time about everything?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
What is this fascination for Southampton players?? Liverpool seem to be funding Southampton's stay in the Premier League. A very bizarre situation indeed. I really hope they buy him for the reported £60m.

Inter Yer Nan

Is it going to be their year?
Probably, again. After winning the Norwich cup in the 2015/2016 and the 4th place cup, The Lawro's predictions league, the Alternative league and Fair Play league this season I can't take any more success. Only saving grace is they didn't win the crossbar league.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
What is this fascination for Southampton players?? Liverpool seem to be funding Southampton's stay in the Premier League. A very bizarre situation indeed. I really hope they buy him for the reported £60m.
Not really bizarre to want players that'll improve our team. We've bought several over the last few years and with the exception of Lambert, they've all improved our team compared to what we had previously.
If there's a good player that improves you and you think you can get him, why should it matter what club he comes from?

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Net spend la..
It's a point of mockery but given JWH summed up the Carroll/Suarez deals as Torres + 7mill you can see why it makes sense from his perspective. It's been a sticking point for fans for years thankfully he has no excuses to not put up the money this summer. It'll be a riot if he doesn't

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Obscene? It's football in 2017. I wouldn't watch transfers this summer as you may be upset by a series of absolute obscenities.

Get ready for escalating prices. By 31 August this'll seem like a normal piece of business.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Not really bizarre to want players that'll improve our team. We've bought several over the last few years and with the exception of Lambert, they've all improved our team compared to what we had previously.
If there's a good player that improves you and you think you can get him, why should it matter what club he comes from?
Just seems a but odd that constantly raiding a midtable team is going to improve your fortunes significantly?

montpelier

A quite nice table on RAWK says LFC used 28 players last season comprised of 10 making debuts & 18 who weren't making debuts. Which I thought was a nice illustration of squad composition actually.

Debuts - 10

TAA, Ejaria, Grujic, Karius, Klavan,
Mane, Matip, Wijnaldum, Wilson, Woodburn

For the 18 I can get these atm

Migs, Clyne, Milner, Lovren, Lucas, Can, Henderson, Studge, Coutinho,
Firmino, Origi, Lallana,
Moreno, Gomez, Ings, Randall, Stewart, Ojo

Assuming your signing purely 1st team contending players & we keep 28 as the number - how many & who goes off of this list? And then how do you re-divide them between regular starters & back up?

Not enough bolds last year, innit? Although top total appearances last year was only 39 apparently.

MUFC OK

The season only finished 2 weeks ago, the transfer window doesn't open for another 3 weeks, our issue is not scoring goals, we scored 24 more goals than UTD last season and you have a 20+ goals a season Striker. our problem is defence and hopefully that's what we sort first.
Cant think of a team that won the league without a recognised striker, I'd be happy for you to go into the new season with the forwards you've got.. Obviously we need goals from other areas, VVD is a good signing but a lot of money and you still need several players.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Lucas, Ings, klavan, moreno, Stewart and Randall are probably out. Some kids are going to be pushed down a bit the pecking order (though increased number of games should make up for that).

Ojo might go on loan.

I don't think there will be many departures. I think both Sturridge and origi will be here next season. Add some 4-5 players (left back, centreback, midfielder, winger and some unexpected punt) and that's about it.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Lucas, Ings, klavan, moreno, Stewart and Randall are probably out. Some kids are going to be pushed down a bit the pecking order (though increased number of games should make up for that).

Ojo might go on loan.

I don't think there will be many departures. I think both Sturridge and origi will be here next season. Add some 4-5 players (left back, centreback, midfielder, winger and some unexpected punt) and that's about it.
We badly need a striker. If Firmino is out, who's going to be our second option? Origi isn't good enough and you can't rely on Sturridge to be fit for the whole season. If Lacazette even wants to consider joining us, we should throw £50m-£60m at Lyon asap.

montpelier

Ojo might go on loan.

Yeah, it does map out as 4-5 if no one leaves, innit. Which is maybe a few less than has been talked about before. Probably a good thing, makes it more like evolution than revolution, you could say - if you wished to do so.