Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
We were due a really ambitious window. We were pretty much breaking even according to this ;

https://www.independent.ie/sport/so...te-over-managerial-achievements-36861511.html

I'm satisfied with the way the window has gone for us. I guess Klopp is sick of losing finals. If we got a 10 (Fekir) I'd say man for man we can compete with City, the major difference is the depth they have which over the course of the season will prove to be our shortcoming. We can be dangerous in cup competitions so hopefully we can win one in the coming season.
I'm also pretty happy that the world cup won't affect our start of the season too much only Lovren from the team that started the final is affected by it. Henderson might miss it, but I struggle to see him displacing Fabinho once he gets going. I'm guessing Clyne will start as well, he can do a job, even though I don't rate him. I'm hoping Trent Arnold gets back into the team sharpish.
Provided we don't get a 10 we'll probably look something like this once we get going. That's good enough for 2nd and a cup I reckon.

------------------------------Alisson

Trent Arnold--------Matip--------Van Dijk--------Robertson

----------------------------Fabinho

------------------Këita-----------------Wijnaldum

----------------------------Firmino
---------Salah ------------------------------------Mané
Where does Fekir fit into this 11 if you end up getting him? He's not going to come to sit on the bench and surely neither are any of that front 3.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Where does Fekir fit into this 11 if you end up getting him? He's not going to come to sit on the bench and surely neither are any of that front 3.
Fekir would come in as a 10, we switch naturally to a 4231, Klopps favoured formation.

-----------------Fabinho-----------------Këita

---------Salah -------------Fekir--------------Mané

---------------------------Firmino

That's what I'd really hope to see. You can steamroll 90% of Premier League opposition with that, then in bigger games if you need to go more conservative you can add an extra CM, although with us that means putting in a mediocre ball player over someone who can help retain possession like Fekir. But as it is I actually think this is a balanced team. If you look at the City team which they used even in big games like the Manc derby at O.T it had Silva and De Bryune and this is a similar sort of thing arguably more defensive.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Fekir would come in as a 10, we switch naturally to a 4231, Klopps favoured formation.

-----------------Fabinho-----------------Këita

---------Salah -------------Fekir--------------Mané

---------------------------Firmino

That's what I'd really hope to see. You can steamroll 90% of Premier League opposition with that, then in bigger games if you need to go more conservative you can add an extra CM, although with us that means putting in a mediocre ball player over someone who can help retain possession like Fekir. But as it is I actually think this is a balanced team. If you look at the City team which they used even in big games like the Manc derby at O.T it had Silva and De Bryune and this is a similar sort of thing arguably more defensive.
Cheers. That looks slightly scary.

Gilgamesh

Supports
Bayern, and others
Is Keita any good?
Keita is the real deal: He's the perfect box to box midfielder with speed and great technique. He can create himself space with his dribble and then provide lethal passes, like a real 10. He even scores frequently. And he is really physical, loves to tackle like a real 6. There was no player in the Bundesliga I wanted more to move to Bayern. A real steal by Klopp. Very soon he will be regarded as one of the top ten players in the PL. He is the centrepiece that was missing in Liverpool's midfield. You'll love him, congrats!

jack1092

Supports
Liverpool
I think Fred would considering City tried to sign him. He'd also start at LFC[/B].
Who would Fred start ahead of at City? Fernandinho, not sure about that....he was targeted as a rotational player for them with Fernandinho....Fernandinho starts ahead of him for Brazil. Just out of curiousity, i presume you're an expert in Ukrainian league football? He's coming from an awful league, where Bernard is now leaving on a free, having played for Brazil and is signing for a mid table side....He could be very good btw, but i doubt you have any clue on this.

You can say he'd start of LFC all you like, but personally i can't see it. Keita is coming from a better league and has been very good in that league.. Fabinho is a different player for us, he'd be more UTD's Matic.

Klopp has spent more than Mourinho which is a fact. United are a bigger club and have a bigger budget.

No more excuses. Would be a massive failure not to challenge after being one of the PLs biggest spenders!

Edit: you also got all the fees wrong. You've underpriced Liverpool's and overpriced United's to suit your agenda.

Fred and Dalot both cheaper, Fabinho cost more along with Keita who you missed out and Alisson is reported everywhere as £66m
To suit my agenda, lol come on i could've added 30 million to the LFC values and taken 10 off the UTD and it would still prove my point, not my agenda. I have used skysports and transfermarket.com, .

Dalot: http://www.skysports.com/football/n...inho-confirms-new-man-utd-signing-diogo-dalot

Fred and Dalot https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manchester-united/transfers/verein/985

So.......suiting my agenda i am not....plus, as i say, it makes very little difference either way, my point

Keita and Fabinho haven't but apparently they'd start ahead of Fred?

What I do know is City wanted Fred and he went to the WC over Fabinho. Think it's safe to say he would play at City and Liverpool no?
In that case, Alisson started ahead of Ederson, must be some signing compared to Karius+ Migs then..cheers! Nah, Brazil manager has his favourites simple. Why would Fred start ahead of Fernandinho for City, if he wouldn't start ahead for Brazil...

I think Fred would considering City tried to sign him. He'd also start at LFC[/B].
Who would Fred start ahead of at City? Fernandinho, not sure about that....he was targeted as a rotational player for them with Fernandinho....Fernandinho starts ahead of him for Brazil. Just out of curiousity, i presume you're an expert in Ukrainian league football? He's coming from an awful league, where Bernard is now leaving on a free, having played for Brazil and is signing for a mid table side....He could be very good btw, but i doubt you have any clue on this.

You can say he'd start of LFC all you like, but personally i can't see it. Keita is coming from a better league and has been very good in that league.. Fabinho is a different player for us, he'd be more UTD's Matic.

Klopp has spent more than Mourinho which is a fact. United are a bigger club and have a bigger budget.

No more excuses. Would be a massive failure not to challenge after being one of the PLs biggest spenders!

It wasn't me that made the silly assumptions..[/B]

@Klopper76 meet @jack1092 and vice veraa
I have said i don''t think they would, as said above, Fabinho isn't in Fred's role, and Keita is coming from a better league and having done more....he also is probably again, not the same type of player.....i haven't assumed anything i said it was a silly point anyway as teams are the sum of all their parts, hence my Croatia point....

You'd like to think so at £60+ million.

Another hugely expensive signing who has done little to justify his tag.
Speaking of suiting agendas, Keita never cost 60+ million....

He cost very similar to Fred, and is coming from a better league....so both something to justify, you're hilarious honestly.

Reactions: Sultan

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Now that they've signed Alisson I don't think they'l have the funds to go after Fekir as well. Even without Fekir it's not a bad squad.

shaky

You can tell it's preseason by the number of "Liverpool looking good for a title challenge" comments everywhere again. Happens every single year. Maybe once a decade are the same comments applicable come Christmas. Media darlings, hyped squad, hyped manager, no silverware. They are turning into the scouse Tottenham.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You can tell it's preseason by the number of "Liverpool looking good for a title challenge" comments everywhere again. Happens every single year. Maybe once a decade are the same comments applicable come Christmas. Media darlings, hyped squad, hyped manager, no silverware. They are turning into the scouse Tottenham.
Something like this?

Rajma

And there's nothing wrong with that! It's the constant excuses and people trying to play it down which irks people. I'm sure you're delighted and don't care about the money - I am the same with United, we can afford it so don't see the problem. What you have to understand though is many many LFC fans, including Klopp himself, have made digs at United in the past regarding spending and over scrutinising expensive players. Sadly you will have to expect the same as the media will jump all over the club if it continues to fail to deliver success with such hefty amounts of money put on the table.
Imo it won't be the same given that their fans and neutrals get entertained watching them, naturally Klopp is going to get more leeway in terms of criticism. Not a difficult concept to grasp.

It does look like you're simply angry at Liverpool fans for not putting Klopp under pressure they way United fans do with Jose.

TheReligion

Abusive
Imo it won't be the same given that their fans and neutrals get entertained watching them, naturally Klopp is going to get more leeway in terms of criticism. Not a difficult concept to grasp.

It does look like you're simply angry at Liverpool fans for not putting Klopp under pressure they way United fans do with Jose.
I'm not angry at all, I'm just calling out the usual suspects who live in a fantasy land where Klopp hasn't spent much money, Liverpool have consistently challenged for the top prizes since he arrived and every transfer they make is great value.

It's a nonsense

TheReligion

Abusive

To suit my agenda, lol come on i could've added 30 million to the LFC values and taken 10 off the UTD and it would still prove my point, not my agenda. I have used skysports and transfermarket.com, .

Dalot: http://www.skysports.com/football/n...inho-confirms-new-man-utd-signing-diogo-dalot

Fred and Dalot https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manchester-united/transfers/verein/985

So.......suiting my agenda i am not....plus, as i say, it makes very little difference either way, my point

In that case, Alisson started ahead of Ederson, must be some signing compared to Karius+ Migs then..cheers! Nah, Brazil manager has his favourites simple. Why would Fred start ahead of Fernandinho for City, if he wouldn't start ahead for Brazil...

I'm sorry mate but you're not making much sense. You use transfermarkt for your fees yet underprice Keita and Fabinho? Very odd. Also Keita had quite an average season in Germany just gone and was also poor in the CL - quite the contrast to Fred who was quality in Europe and seen by Pep as the ideal Fernandinho replacement (which is who he would have replaced FYI)

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
I'm not angry at all, I'm just calling out the usual suspects who live in a fantasy land where Klopp hasn't spent much money, Liverpool have consistently challenged for the top prizes since he arrived and every transfer they make is great value.

It's a nonsense
In all fairness though, Klopp has had to spend big money because over recent years we've lost some top players. It's not like he's taken over a quality side with talented footballers who just needed a good manager to help shape them into a great team. It was only 4 years ago that we went very close to winning our first ever PL title. Yet there's only 3 players out of that 2014 squad who are still at the club. Those 3 being Mignolet, Henderson, & Sturridge. On paper at least, he's done a terrific job in putting together a pretty good squad of players, who should, over the next few seasons, bring some sort of success to the club. & who are you to say that he should be under pressure to deliver ? United, along with City, have been spending big money season after season, & in most cases it's been to strengthen the squad, whereas Klopp's spending has been to re-build & construct a side capable of putting in regular challenges for the top honours. There's more than a subtle difference there. Take off the blinkers & even you'll be able to see it.

TheReligion

Abusive
In all fairness though, Klopp has had to spend big money because over recent years we've lost some top players. It's not like he's taken over a quality side with talented footballers who just needed a good manager to help shape them into a great team. It was only 4 years ago that we went very close to winning our first ever PL title. Yet there's only 3 players out of that 2014 squad who are still at the club. Those 3 being Mignolet, Henderson, & Sturridge. On paper at least, he's done a terrific job in putting together a pretty good squad of players, who should, over the next few seasons, bring some sort of success to the club. & who are you to say that he should be under pressure to deliver ? United, along with City, have been spending big money season after season, & in most cases it's been to strengthen the squad, whereas Klopp's spending has been to re-build & construct a side capable of putting in regular challenges for the top honours. There's more than a subtle difference there. Take off the blinkers & even you'll be able to see it.
Sorry but united have had to spend big too. Two previous failed managers post SAF and left with an aging and disjointed squad which was performing beyond its level upon the great man's retirement.

It works both ways.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
ManUtd is spending money to rebuild though, every club spends to rebuild. When Jose took over, he wasn't happy with the team he had, so he has spent big money, same with Klopp. He wasn't happy so he spent big money and changed entire 11.

Ironic that you replied (to @TheReligion ) to take his blinkers off and then posted the bold part.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Is Keita any good?
As others have said, he's an incredible player. I watched Leipzig for their manager mainly (Hasenhuttl who's no longer there - I like his style of play) but Keita always stood out.

jack1092

Supports
Liverpool
I'm sorry mate but you're not making much sense. You use transfermarkt for your fees yet underprice Keita and Fabinho? Very odd. Also Keita had quite an average season in Germany just gone and was also poor in the CL - quite the contrast to Fred who was quality in Europe and seen by Pep as the ideal Fernandinho replacement (which is who he woujld have replaced FYI)
What about the Dalot and Fred pricing you claim I was wrong about in which it seems I wasn’t wrong at all?
You’ve said Keita cost 60+million and then changed it to 54million... so maybe it’s you that needs to make more sense, or is it that agenda again?

Maybe you’re just on a forum looking for a wind up or something but if you can’t make a reply to me with at least a point worth making, don’t bother this time... you’re wasting my 3 posts!

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
ManUtd is spending money to rebuild though, every club spends to rebuild. When Jose took over, he wasn't happy with the team he had, so he has spent big money, same with Klopp. He wasn't happy so he spent big money and changed entire 11.

Ironic that you replied (to @TheReligion ) to take his blinkers off and then posted the bold part.
There's no comparison to your situation of 4 years ago & ours. Jordan Henderson is realistically the only 'good' player left from our 2014 squad. You still have DDG, Jones, Mata, Fellaini, Valencia, & Young. But more importantly, no United manager since Fergie has had any player of the calibre of Suarez, Coutinho, & Sterling, taken off their hands in that time. All 3 players - Suarez in particular - were central to us having such a good season that year. Most of your squad that season were the same players that walked the league the year before, so how can you say United were in need of re-building ? In need of a good manager, yes, but re-building .........No way. & certainly not in the same way we did. You make it sound like both our clubs have been on a level playing field in that time. We so obviously haven't.

roonster09

Scout
There's no comparison to your situation of 4 years ago & ours. Jordan Henderson is realistically the only 'good' player left from our 2014 squad. You still have DDG, Jones, Mata, Fellaini, Valencia, & Young. But more importantly, no United manager since Fergie has had any player of the calibre of Suarez, Coutinho, & Sterling, taken off their hands in that time. All 3 players - Suarez in particular - were central to us having such a good season that year. Most of your squad that season were the same players that walked the league the year before, so how can you say United were in need of re-building ? In need of a good manager, yes, but re-building .........No way. & certainly not in the same way we did. You make it sound like both our clubs have been on a level playing field in that time. We so obviously haven't.
I said when Jose took over, so most of the Fergie players were gone and Van Gaal signed players who weren't of much use for Jose.

We also sold Di Maria who was marquee signing and we didnt have any player of Suarez's level.

I don't see how you think Jose's signing was to strengthen the squad and Klopp was to rebuild when both have made signings to rebuild. Only difference is Liverpool had players who were worth 100s of million so they sold them and signed other players, Manutd didn't have, so they sold other players for almost nothing and spent money. That's the only difference.

TheReligion

Abusive
What about the Dalot and Fred pricing you claim I was wrong about in which it seems I wasn’t wrong at all?
You’ve said Keita cost 60+million and then changed it to 54million... so maybe it’s you that needs to make more sense, or is it that agenda again?

Maybe you’re just on a forum looking for a wind up or something but if you can’t make a reply to me with at least a point worth making, don’t bother this time... you’re wasting my 3 posts!
You got the Fabinho price wrong along with the others. Please try and be accurate with things like this especially when it's quite relevent to the context.

TheReligion

Abusive
Rio, Vidic and Evra needed replacing along with Carrick and RvP.. massive chunk of the team.

Are you even sure what about what you're posting here? United needed a rebuild post Fergie. That's a fact. This process hasn't been helped by the Moyes and LvG failed eras. We are only just seeing the likes of Blind and Darmian moved on. Jose has and still is rebuilding just like Klopp. No two ways about it.

shaky

Yeah, Utd having to replace their record goalscorer was so much easier a task than Liverpool having to replace Raheem Sterling. Really, the only big difference between the two rebuild jobs, is that Utd's top players got old and left for peanuts, whereas Liverpool's got sold for huge sums. So while Liverpool got praised for having a low net spend, Utd got criticised for having a large net spend, but both teams have actually spent about the same to replace all their gaping holes.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Rio, Vidic and Evra needed replacing along with Carrick and RvP.. massive chunk of the team.

Are you even sure what about what you're posting here? United needed a rebuild post Fergie. That's a fact. This process hasn't been helped by the Moyes and LvG failed eras. We are only just seeing the likes of Blind and Darmian moved on. Jose has and still is rebuilding just like Klopp. No two ways about it.
Yeah, Utd having to replace their record goalscorer was so much easier a task than Liverpool having to replace Raheem Sterling. Really, the only big difference between the two rebuild jobs, is that Utd's top players got old and left for peanuts, whereas Liverpool's got sold for huge sums. So while Liverpool got praised for having a low net spend, Utd got criticised for having a large net spend, but both teams have actually spent about the same to replace all their gaping holes.
Actually pretty interesting & compelling points. Fair play.

jack1092

Supports
Liverpool
You got the Fabinho price wrong along with the others. Please try and be accurate with things like this especially when it's quite relevent to the context.
Depending where you quote Fabinho, i might be 4million short on him.....however, as i said i could add as 100mill to LFCs transfer spend and my point would be the same, as for the others i was correct.

Relevant* in the context, yet you still ignore the fact you've been pricing Keita at 60mill plus......come on...

LFC have spent a lot in the past season and a half i am not denying that + i don't see why you are so argumentative about the whole thing.

My point was we are selling as well....something which UTD aren't when they are spending, is this correct? Yes.

From a fan's perspective spend is important, but form a club's perspective, it's probably wise to look at what you spend and how much you bring in from sales....simple business practice..Have i lost you yet?

roonster09

Scout

Man, these Liverpool fans/journalists are something else.

De Gea who was signed for 18 million in 2011 is equivalent to 79 million in today's market but Suarez who was signed for 25 million in 2010-11 season was equivalent to 53 million. Funnily enough Fellaini who was signed nearly after 3 seasons for 27 million was worth 53 million after adjusting to inflation.

The new levels these Liverpool fans/journalists stoop is just :lol:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
what an odd discussion going on here. Anyway, I'm interested to see if any Liverpool fan on here sees Henderson in their starting XI. Every posted XI I've seen on here is missing him - am I missing something here?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Since the Net Spend argument no longer favours Liverpool, will it be replaced by the inflation argument?

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Since the Net Spend argument no longer favours Liverpool, will it be replaced by the inflation argument?
If that no longer is applicable we will then move on to the decreasing value of the pound, after that, post-Brexit value. Nobody can stop us! mwuahahahahaa!

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
They seem to have made some good signings however there's no guarantee these signings will hit hit the ground running as its a new league for the new recruits. Also people now have a lot of tape on liverpool from last season and may find ways to stop them.

jack1092

Supports
Liverpool
I am not using net spend as an excuse for anything but the facts are there to back up that LFC net spend is less than UTD and co....

Klopp has slowly assembled his type of side and hope this year we will see the side start to properly progress.

SambaBoy

Just been reading Sky Sports, Alisson is already described as the number 1 GK in the world.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
They seem to have made some good signings however there's no guarantee these signings will hit hit the ground running as its a new league for the new recruits. Also people now have a lot of tape on liverpool from last season and may find ways to stop them.
Indeed. As it is with any transfer, it’ll be interesting to see if they pan out. I will say though, that Klopps record makes me very optimistic.

Dundrummer

I am not using net spend as an excuse for anything but the facts are there to back up that LFC net spend is less than UTD and co....
The facts are there to back up that 'net spend' is an absolutely ridiculous concept invented by football fans on the internet which was cottoned onto by lazy, clickbait-hunting 'journalists'. It's a meaningless, pseudo-metric which tells us nothing, and if Liverpool spending hundreds of millions is what it takes to finally see the idea die then it's absolutely worth them having a good team...as long as they don't win the league.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Just been reading Sky Sports, Alisson is already described as the number 1 GK in the world.
That's a popular perception in Italy apparently.

I know little more than articles I've been reading today, but he sounds like Neuer with more skillz.

If he can be Neuer-lite, I'll be over the moon.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
It's funny how some people here are still thinking this is a pro-argument liverpool fans are using.

Net spend has been the main critique levelled against FSG, not a virtue for the club. We were turning a transfer profit up until this summer, which is fecking ridiculous.

It's well overdue that we spend some fecking money.

De Gea who was signed for 18 million in 2011 is equivalent to 79 million in today's market but Suarez who was signed for 25 million in 2010-11 season was equivalent to 53 million. Funnily enough Fellaini who was signed nearly after 3 seasons for 27 million was worth 53 million after adjusting to inflation.

I don’t even understand the purpose of them doing this?

They have signed an excellent keeper, who even if all he could do was walk, would be an improvement on a glaring weakness they had.

Why can’t they be happy with that, they have just smashed the WC for a keeper - no-one actually cares enough for them to need to go and justify it with inflation adjusted figures. Just be happy to have a decent keeper. Strange.

B20

Supports
Liverpool

Not gonna bother looking at the numbers, but here are my thoughts - Zidane broke the transfer record for €77m in 2001, Buffon went for €52m the same summer, which was a monstrous sum for a keeper and two thirds of the world record. Allison went for €75m, only a third of the current world record set a year before. Or half of the record signed by a club that is not PSG (coutinho).

It's a hefty fee, but not totally out there for a keeper who could be one of the best in the world (fingers crossed). The bigger oddity really is that Buffon's record fee stood for 17 years.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Why can’t they be happy with that, they have just smashed the WC for a keeper - no-one actually cares enough for them to need to go and justify it with inflation adjusted figures. Just be happy to have a decent keeper. Strange.
Personally, I am loving it. Or at least, I am loving our policy of "this is klopp's #1 priority, there is no #2" and then we just pay what it takes to get that man in. No more compromise solutions.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
The facts are there to back up that 'net spend' is an absolutely ridiculous concept invented by football fans on the internet which was cottoned onto by lazy, clickbait-hunting 'journalists'. It's a meaningless, pseudo-metric which tells us nothing, and if Liverpool spending hundreds of millions is what it takes to finally see the idea die then it's absolutely worth them having a good team...as long as they don't win the league.
Of course it tells you something. There is no way we would be able to spend this kind of money if we hadn't had to sell guys like Coutinho.

It doesn't tell the whole story of course - wages is a big part of that too. But it does say more than gross spend which is even more misleading in isolation, as it ends up telling stories like barcelona strengthening themselves to the tune of 250m with the signings of Coutinho and Dembele and Real about the buff their team with Hazard for 150m - as if the sales of Neymar and Ronaldo played no part.

Neither Net nor gross spend will tell you how much of an investment Sanchez was for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.