Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Of course we can talk. Half the Liverpool fans here can eat humble pie after the trash we got about buying Pogba etc.
Of course you can talk.. It's a free forum.

But it is so tiresome to read page after page with numbers, money spent, netspend, overpriced, etc., etc.

You spend, we spend. Now let's talk about some football instead

TheReligion

Abusive

But it is so tiresome to read page after page with numbers, money spent, netspend, overpriced, etc., etc.

Agreed, now you know how we all felt when you lot were at it (including your own manager!).

Anyway enough from me. Klopp has spend enough to put himself and the club in the United, City, Chelsea bracket now. That's how he will be judged.

It all makes for an interesting season.

montpelier

This reads a bit like that now the argument isn't being won - the argument doesn't need to be happening.

Although I do tend to agree with what it is that you're saying - just seems to be a bit late in the day, innit, :D.

montpelier

And... y'know how according to RAWK et al, Utd bought their 90's success. The respective purchase prices of the 1996 Cup Final teams would seem to work out at approximately Utd £ 16.5 Million & LFC £ 25 M. With Andy Cole at £ 7M & Stanley Collymore at £ 8.5 M being the recent record acquisitions there.

It must have been after that Liverpool suddenly never spent any money then?

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Liverpool have had a very good summer and spent well. I have no issue with a club spending money that has been generated by being a sound business, which Liverpool FC is. That’s what it should all be about..... but that’s for another thread.

From a first 11 perspective, they are probably now only behind City. Hopefully we have some more players to arrive....

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
The amount of money we have spent this summer is staggering. 160m /230m this calendar year is just mind boggling. Getting 12m for Danny Ward is crazy though I'm not complaining! To be fair to Klopp his signings have generally been spot on. We look to have addressed our remaining weaknesses. The next thing now is are we going to be consistent enough for a realistic title challenge.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
With all of their great signings (on paper) I expect that Liverpool will finish second behind City this season and will push them all the way. United, Tottenham and Chelsea to fight out for the other two top four spots.

Thisistheone

And... y'know how according to RAWK et al, Utd bought their 90's success. The respective purchase prices of the 1996 Cup Final teams would seem to work out at approximately Utd £ 16.5 Million & LFC £ 25 M. With Andy Cole at £ 7M & Stanley Collymore at £ 8.5 M being the recent record acquisitions there.

It must have been after that Liverpool suddenly never spent any money then?
;)

Pretty sure I read that in the PL era until Fergie retired, Liverpool had spent more than us on transfers.

So 13-0 on titles was good going.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Agreed, now you know how we all felt when you lot were at it (including your own manager!).

Anyway enough from me. Klopp has spend enough to put himself and the club in the United, City, Chelsea bracket now. That's how he will be judged.

It all makes for an interesting season.
This reads a bit like that now the argument isn't being won - the argument doesn't need to be happening.

Although I do tend to agree with what it is that you're saying - just seems to be a bit late in the day, innit, :D.
I'm aware, that some supporters from other clubs including mine, have used your money to give you stick, but I am sure, that I'm not the only Liverpool fan, who never moaned about the money you have spent, og how you've spent them.

I don't care how much money you spend, or how you spend it, never did. Some have more money than others. That's a fact in football, a fact in life. Why moan about stuff, that you can't change?

I accept it as a challenge. We have to be smarter than you and City, because you are wealthier than us. If we sit back, and blame the money you have for our lack of succes, we're never gonna catch up.

Actually, I think it's a bit pathetic when either your or our fans use lack of money as an excuse for not winning. We are both in or around the top of the foodchain. Other fans must think we're spoiled kids, discussing like that.

Treble

The greater the expectations, the bigger the psychological burden to perform. Liverpool won't have the psychological comfort to start from an underdog position any more.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The greater the expectations, the bigger the psychological burden to perform. Liverpool won't have the psychological comfort to start from an underdog position any more.
Guess we shouldn't have signed these players Winning games is going to be so much harder now.

Chairman Steve

I think people slightly overestimate Liverpool because they look very comfortable against playing St.Pep’s City side, which has been lauded as one of the best sides ever. They’ve only scored two goals against a Utd helmed by Jose. A Milner penalty insanely given away by Pogba and a Bailly own goal.

That’s not saying they’re bad. They are a very good team. They’re spending a lot of money but that doesnt necessarily they’ll be better. If that’s true then why havent we won the league when we bought the likes of ADM, Pogba and Lukaku?

Treble

Guess we shouldn't have signed these players Winning games is going to be so much harder now.
My point is different though. There is a reason why United have struggled post Fergie despite having one of the most expensive squads in the world. Jose finished 6th after adding some top players to the squad in 2016. And he is a top manager, one of the very best. An important reason is that the expecations at United are huge and the pressure to live up to them is immense.

BullishBull

Supports
Liverpool
I think people slightly overestimate Liverpool because they look very comfortable against playing St.Pep’s City side, which has been lauded as one of the best sides ever. They’ve only scored two goals against a Utd helmed by Jose. A Milner penalty insanely given away by Pogba and a Bailly own goal.

That’s not saying they’re bad. They are a very good team. They’re spending a lot of money but that doesnt necessarily they’ll be better. If that’s true then why havent we won the league when we bought the likes of ADM, Pogba and Lukaku?
Mourinho sides are always difficult sides to score against, he’s the type of guy to stay up every night all week in his basement studying how to stop an attacking side rather than focus on how to beat a team through attacking. Granted you beat us, but you literally scored goals from two long balls and then the second balls. I’d be more impressed with us hardly scoring against you if your tactics were open rather than just putting 10 men behind the ball once you are leading.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
How will they line up this season?

Alisson
Clyne - VVD - Matip - Milner
Keita - Fabinho
Shaqiri - Mane - Salah
Firmino​

Subs: Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lovren, Arnold, Lallana, Karius, Robertson

Treble

Alisson
Keita - Fabinho
Shaqiri - Mane - Salah
Firmino​

Subs: Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lovren, Arnold, Lapland, Karius, Robertson
Lovren and Robertson in for Matip and Milner. Shaqiri won't start in the harder games, Lallana/Henderson will start ahead of him.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
My point is different though. There is a reason why United have struggled post Fergie despite having one of the most expensive squads in the world. Jose finished 6th after adding some top players to the squad in 2016. And he is a top manager, one of the very best. An important reason is that the expecations at United are huge and the pressure to live up to them is immense.
I agree that there is more pressure on Man United to win things. The main reason being, that you have been so succesful. It's not the whole picture though. Winning adds pressure. But not winning adds pressure as well. How we react to that pressure depends on the players and the managers. Some thrive with pressure, and some crumble.

A clear difference between our clubs regarding pressure is, that you, the fans of Man United, are divided in your support of the manager, and we aren't. Not yet at least.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Alisson
Keita - Fabinho
Shaqiri - Mane - Salah
Firmino​

They are not dropping their captain to the bench. Unless you're adding the WC players resting, into account.

lococol

I think Liverpool will win something this season. Am I the only United fan that looks at their first team with envy? They have a decent squad with some amazing attacking players. I still don't think that they will have the consistency to win the league but they could easily win a cup comp. They can beat any team on their day and only have to turn it on for a handful of matches to win a cup.

B20

Supports
Liverpool

Alisson
Keita - Fabinho
Shaqiri - Mane - Salah
Firmino​

It's going to be Robertson, Lovren and TAA as first choice Alongside VVD.

Don't think Shaqiri is a starter. I reckon keita, Fabinho and some sort of 8/10 alongside them. Certainly not mane.

Basically, we still need Fekir, with chamberlain and Lallanas injury records.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
They are not dropping their captain to the bench. Unless you're adding the WC players resting, into account.
This isn't LVG. Klopp doesn't really give a flying feck about the armband. Every man and his dog got to wear it last season.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

Don't think Shaqiri is a starter. I reckon keita, Fabinho and some sort of 8/10 alongside them. Certainly not mane.

Yeah a 10 is what your squad is missing

TheReligion

Abusive
Mourinho sides are always difficult sides to score against, he’s the type of guy to stay up every night all week in his basement studying how to stop an attacking side rather than focus on how to beat a team through attacking. Granted you beat us, but you literally scored goals from two long balls and then the second balls. I’d be more impressed with us hardly scoring against you if your tactics were open rather than just putting 10 men behind the ball once you are leading.
Let's have it right at OT we should have been 4 up at half time and come the 90 minutes you hadn't had a shot on target. You were beaten very comfortably so let's not try and make out two long balls were the only difference on the day!

TheReligion

Abusive
I think Liverpool will win something this season. Am I the only United fan that looks at their first team with envy? They have a decent squad with some amazing attacking players. I still don't think that they will have the consistency to win the league but they could easily win a cup comp. They can beat any team on their day and only have to turn it on for a handful of matches to win a cup.
I think they have a good first 11 but I can't really be envious given what we have ourselves.. Pogba, Lukaku, Lingard have all had great world cups whilst Martial, Rashford, Sanchez all should be hungry and ready for the new season. Fred improves the midfield and alongside Matic should add balance. The only area we need to boost is full back and CB. That said if Dalot surprises us and things finally click with Shaw it might not be a huge issue. We also have the best GK in the world.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
This isn't LVG. Klopp doesn't really give a flying feck about the armband. Every man and his dog got to wear it last season.
OK, fair enough. I still can’t see him dropping Henderson, although I don’t rate him.

BullishBull

Supports
Liverpool
Let's have it right at OT we should have been 4 up at half time and come the 90 minutes you hadn't had a shot on target. You were beaten very comfortably so let's not try and make out two long balls were the only difference on the day!
I remember Mata missing a chance in the first half. The second half United did absolutely nothing. You can talk about us having no shots on target, but if we are behind and United have ten men behind the ball, we of course can’t afford to shoot at will, we have to be patient and probe, but United had ten men behind the ball and defended like their lifes depended on it. I’m not making excuses, you deserved to win, but United fans are acting like it was an utterly dominant win. Fact is, you scored from two long balls, then sat back and shut us down by allowing no space.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC

Yep. That will definitely be the back four, and we won't mess with the front three. If we don't get Fekir, I reckon it's Henderson or maybe Lallana in the middle alongside Keita with Fabinho behind.

Alisson
TAA - Lovren - VvD - Robertson
Fabinho
Henderson - Keita
Salah - Firmino - Mané

lococol

I think they have a good first 11 but I can't really be envious given what we have ourselves.. Pogba, Lukaku, Lingard have all had great world cups whilst Martial, Rashford, Sanchez all should be hungry and ready for the new season. Fred improves the midfield and alongside Matic should add balance. The only area we need to boost is full back and CB. That said if Dalot surprises us and things finally click with Shaw it might not be a huge issue. We also have the best GK in the world.
How many of their first 11 could get in ours? I count 3/4. Firmino, Salah, Fabinho and possibly Mane. We are definitely better defensively (mostly because of DDG) but I really respect Liverpools attack. They gel well.

BullishBull

Supports
Liverpool
How many of their first 11 would get in ours? I count 3/4. Firmino, Salah, Fabinho and possibly Mane. We are definitely better defensively (mostly because of DDG) but I really respect Liverpools attack. They gel well.
It depends on the system, for example United fans would rather have Valencia as RB, but I’d have Trent Alexandre simply because Valencia is useless going forward, Trent is brilliant at going forward. Trent, Robertson, Van Djik, Keita, Salah, Mane, Firmino would easily get into your side, but again it depends on the managers and their preferred system, but I’m assuming we are talking about player ability.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
How many of their first 11 could get in ours? I count 3/4. Firmino, Salah, Fabinho and possibly Mane. We are definitely better defensively (mostly because of DDG) but I really respect Liverpools attack. They gel well.
I think our first 11's a comparable in quality. DdG, VvD, Pogba, Salah, Mané would walk into either side. The rest is debatable imo.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
They are a serious, serious threat to the throne this season. I never thought I’d see them go from strength to strength in my lifetime :(

TheReligion

Abusive
I remember Mata missing a chance in the first half. The second half United did absolutely nothing. You can talk about us having no shots on target, but if we are behind and United have ten men behind the ball, we of course can’t afford to shoot at will, we have to be patient and probe, but United had ten men behind the ball and defended like their lifes depended on it. I’m not making excuses, you deserved to win, but United fans are acting like it was an utterly dominant win. Fact is, you scored from two long balls, then sat back and shut us down by allowing no space.
If United did absolutely nothing what did Liverpool do?!

And there was no last ditch defending. It was a very easy win for us. As I say, De Gea didn't have a save to make.

tedketterman

:lol: You're all terrified of Liverpool. You like their manager, players, transfer strategy, and even their kit more than you like United. Just go and be Liverpool fans, stop living in denial.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't think Firmino or Fabinho especially when the latter is unproven in the PL. Matic it's hard to replace here. I don't see Firmino removing Lukaku either however I think Robertson and VVD would get game time at United along with Salah and Mane.

It depends on the system, for example United fans would rather have Valencia as RB, but I’d have Trent Alexandre simply because Valencia is useless going forward, Trent is brilliant at going forward. Trent, Robertson, Van Djik, Keita, Salah, Mane, Firmino would easily get into your side, but again it depends on the managers and their preferred system, but I’m assuming we are talking about player ability.
Keita? He's not kicked a ball in the PL. That's like me saying Fred would easily get into your side. Nonsense.

Trent and Firmino wouldn't walk into the United side either. Trent is a good prospect but Valencia currently a better player. Firmino wouldn't dislodge Lukaku either let's be honest.

I think our first 11's a comparable in quality. DdG, VvD, Pogba, Salah, Mané would walk into either side. The rest is debatable imo.
That's a much more balanced view.

Coxy

Salah, mane, Firmino, VVD would have a great chance. Their 2 new CM would have a good chance too - need to see them in the league first though

BullishBull

Supports
Liverpool
If United did absolutely nothing what did Liverpool do?!

And there was no last ditch defending. It was a very easy win for us. As I say, De Gea didn't have a save to make.
The crowd at Old Trafford were on edge from the moment Bailly scored the own goal, if your performance was as dominant as you suggest, your fans wouldn’t of been a nervous wreck for the majority of the second half.

TheReligion

Abusive
The crowd at Old Trafford were on edge from the moment Bailly scored the own goal, if your performance was as dominant as you suggest, your fans wouldn’t of been a nervous wreck for the majority of the second half.
It seems all of your posts are extremely subjective as opposed to being based on any actual facts.

It's difficult to engage with someone of such character.

Status
Not open for further replies.