Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
but you literally scored goals from two long balls and then the second balls. I’d be more impressed with us hardly scoring against you if your tactics were open rather than just putting 10 men behind the ball once you are leading.
Strange that your tactical genius Klopp got beaten by such an evident and basic tactic, twice not the least, fool me once but fool me twice? Even that Baba buffoon on RAWK could see what we were doing with isolating Lovren against Lukaku and having our strongest runner go against your weakest FB.

And yes, after going two up against a rival you tend to fall back and control and look for counters.

Also funny how you slate the long balls to a pacey runner tactic since that was basically Klopp's plan A with Salah last season.

BullishBull

Supports
Liverpool
I don't think Firmino or Fabinho especially when the latter is unproven in the PL. Matic it's hard to replace here. I don't see Firmino removing Lukaku either however I think Robertson and VVD would get game time at United along with Salah and Mane.

Keita? He's not kicked a ball in the PL. That's like me saying Fred would easily get into your side. Nonsense.

Trent and Firmino wouldn't walk into the United side either. Trent is a good prospect but Valencia currently a better player. Firmino wouldn't dislodge Lukaku either let's be honest.

That's a much more balanced view.
Keita hasn’t kicked a ball in the PL yet, that is true but if you watch football and think of our system, you will know this guy is going to tear it up. He is the master of transitions. He wins the ball, runs through midfields like they aren’t there and has very good dribbling and the vision to make the killer pass. I disagree on Valencia, I think he is one of the most useless players in the PL, he can’t cross, he doesn’t even take on the opponent these days, he just checks back and passes the ball. Lukaku wouldn’t dislodge Firmino from our system either. I prefer Firmino, he doesn’t go missing. I hear United fans call Lukaku a donkey, you’d never hear our fans say negative things about Firmino.

Aloysius's Back 3

If they get an up & coming defender that they can afford like Mcguire - I'd be hard pressed to see weaknesses in their team like I used to.

Worse is that they have an underlying understanding of how the whole 25 man squad should play.

Shark

@NotShark
The crowd at Old Trafford were on edge from the moment Bailly scored the own goal, if your performance was as dominant as you suggest, your fans wouldn’t of been a nervous wreck for the majority of the second half.
2-1 is always going to be a bit of a nervy lead in any game, especially when it comes to derbies. Saying the Old Trafford crowd were a nervous wreck though is completely fabricated by yourself. I can remember us being quite comfortable.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Boom bust cycle is peaking early this season.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Boom bust cycle is peaking early this season.
It's the best part of their season, all their players are the best, before a ball has been kicked that is.
It's gone one step further this year though given they've spent a load of money.

roonster09

Scout
It's the best part of their season, all their players are the best, before a ball has been kicked that is.
It's gone one step further this year though given they've spent a load of money.
Yeah. They always have best GK, defenders, midfielders, attackers but wins feck all, somehow manager is also the best.

Minimalist

Think if they don't finish at least one position higher that's a pretty big failure after that spending. Might not be capable of winning the league (really can't see past City right now) but finishing 4th (or lower) again is poor from them.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah. They always have best GK, defenders, midfielders, attackers but wins feck all, somehow manager is also the best.
In my 16/17 years on Redcafe I don't think I have seen so many worried UTD fans that think we have genuinely improved this time. Not after our CL win in 2005, nor the final in 2007 with Torres or even with Suarez in peak form. It's understandable.

SwansonsTache

In my 16/17 years on Redcafe I don't think I have seen so many worried UTD fans that think we have genuinely improved this time. Not after our CL win in 2005, nor the final in 2007 with Torres or even with Suarez in peak form. It's understandable.
It is a result of our frustration over our own lack of reinforcements. You won't win it with baldie and City around anyways, if you or us become number two, three or four doesn't really matter.

Minimalist

You lot always looked like scoring last season, that's part of it. That said, your numbers (wins, draws etc) in the league was actually pretty shite in hindsight.

As mentioned by the next poster, think it's more we wouldn't be surprised if you finished higher than ourselves but I still can't see such an improvement that you win the league.

roonster09

Scout
What's understandable? The few ManUtd fans always big up Liverpool? Or Liverpool are best at everything by Liverpool fans?

Same shit different year.

Neo_Mufc

Think if they don't finish at least one position higher that's a pretty big failure after that spending. Might not be capable of winning the league (really can't see past City right now) but finishing 4th (or lower) again is poor from them.
I think Klopp needs to deliver a trophy this year, I don't think people will be calling for his head if he doesn't though because there has been genuine improvement at LFC.

As a Utd fan I am a bit worried that they will overtake us this year if we don't hit the ground running. I genuinely like their squad.

If I was to point out any chinks in the armour I think the defence needs a looking over. Will Trent & Robertson still be able to hold the fort?

Will Salah hit the numbers he did last year (IMO no but he will still get a good number). From what I've seen from Keita he could grow into a great player.

City need to be tested and at the moment based on signings I'd say pool are looking the most likely to try and do that.

Minimalist

I think Klopp needs to deliver a trophy this year, I don't think people will be calling for his head if he doesn't though because there has been genuine improvement at LFC.

As a Utd fan I am a bit worried that they will overtake us this year if we don't hit the ground running. I genuinely like their squad.

If I was to point out any chinks in the armour I think the defence needs a looking over. Will Trent & Robertson still be able to hold the fort?

Will Salah hit the numbers he did last year (IMO no but he will still get a good number). From what I've seen from Keita he could grow into a great player.

City need to be tested and at the moment based on signings I'd say pool are looking the most likely to try and do that.
If they had any sense (with their recent history) they would put a massive priority on winning either (or both) the League Cup or FA Cup. I'm sure some Liverpool supporters would turn their noses up at that but they've got a squad of players who've won sweet feck all and have no idea what it's like to win a final (and lift a trophy).

Beggars can't be choosers, comes to mind.

Neo_Mufc

If they had any sense (with their recent history) they would put a massive priority on winning either (or both) the League Cup or FA Cup. I'm sure some Liverpool supporters would turn their noses up at that but they've got a squad of players who've won sweet feck all and have no idea what it's like to win a final (and lift a trophy).

Beggars can't be choosers, comes to mind.
They're not a club that are ruthless in the sense of a City or Chelsea and do give their managers time. I'm no fan of the League Cup but be no shame in winning anything just to get the ball rolling.

I remember when we won the League Cup in 2005 against Wigan. Our rivals laughed at us but the players smelt blood after that and we had some amazing success.

lococol

What's understandable? The few ManUtd fans always big up Liverpool? Or Liverpool are best at everything by Liverpool fans?

Same shit different year.
I think its important to respect your opposition. They (Liverpool) do certain things really well. Respect aside though, I hope they do really well and then collapse at the final hurdle again. It makes it all the more pleasurable for me. As for us, 2nd position in the league and FA cup I reckon this year. We could have a stab at the Champions League, I just cant see it happening without reinforcements.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The crowd at Old Trafford were on edge from the moment Bailly scored the own goal, if your performance was as dominant as you suggest, your fans wouldn’t of been a nervous wreck for the majority of the second half.
I watched the game. You created absolutely nothing, it wasn't a dominant performance in terms of controlling the ball, but United had completely control over the result as you were completely incapable of creating anything. If it wasn't for a fluke goal by Bailly it's the most comfortable of victories.

Fans are always nervous when there is one goal in it with not too long to go, even if you're in complete control of the game you know it only takes one set piece to change the situation. Using that as evidence that you weren't getting tactically outdone is ridiculous.

Djemba-Djemba

When there's only one goal in it of course it's nervy, it only takes another fluke own goal or unlucky deflection and it's 2-2.

You created almost nothing all game though. A recurring theme in the recent Utd vs Liverpool games.

Superfirmino

Supports
Liverpool
Swansonstache.

Liverpool never used the lump it up past the midfield and use a runner. That's called beating the press. If anything that's where Liverpool struggled last season. They weren't the best and this was mostly down to Enre Can missing second balls. Can was a very good player no doubt but he was caught heavy footed.

Liverpool tactically improved on the counter attack last season. This is added to their ability to aggressively press teams that play out from the back. They and this is not bias, are the best team in Europe at it. Spurs do it, but aren't nor have the players to be be as good as Liverpool at it.

We've added 6ft 3 monster Fabinho, so will the beat the press tactic work? We'll have to see I think as much as teams try to find Liverpool out. They'll also have to find alternative ways to beat them. I'm unsure if the beat the press tactic will work.

Kudos however to Mourinho for finding a way to win though. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't attractive but it got the result. He knew that it would be very unwise to go toe to toe with Liverpool because they would cut to ribbons. Tactics wise it was spot on, but entertainment value it was pretty awful. However I still think United should have had Ashley Young sent off for the challenge on Salah and the hand-ball.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
When there's only one goal in it of course it's nervy, it only takes another fluke own goal or unlucky deflection and it's 2-2.

You created almost nothing all game though. A recurring theme in the recent Utd vs Liverpool games.
Klopp hasn’t had an answer for Mourinho yet unfortunately. You’re the only side we’ve played with Klopp as manager where we’ve looked mostly ineffective going forward.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Nobody has actually said that though have they? This is a false narrative presented to make it look like Liverpool fans still think this way, when we don’t aside from a few crazies here and there.

baby keith

Supports
Liverpool
I think the owners have come to the conclusion that there's no downside to really going for it this year.
The signings (and most of the squad now) are all young and I'm sure they're factoring in the price inflation that doesn't look likely to slow down for a few years.
Coutinho money + CL run + TV money and increased commercial revenue.
They promised they'd let the club spend all the income it generated and looks like they're doing it.
All we need now is Dembele on loan ( I can dream)and some competition for Dejan "somehow plays in the biggest finals" Lovren.

SwansonsTache

Nobody has actually said that though have they? This is a false narrative presented to make it look like Liverpool fans still think this way, when we don’t aside from a few crazies here and there.
I can sense the crazy radiating from some of the newly arrived Liverpool fans here. Seems to have been an influx recently.

Superfirmino

Supports
Liverpool
Fair enough Keita has been up against nothing yet. However here is the positive, the sign if a top player is one that follows and gets the managers instructions almost mmediately. Keita has been told by Klopp to impose himself as the most advanced midfielder. He's been told to pressurise high and he's done so. He has both the speed, strength and power to do so.

As for Fabinho he's a vast improvement on both Can and Henderson. Henderson is better used further forward because he lacks the agression needed to play DM whilst Can was sloppy. Fabinho isn't sloppy and has a presence because like Matic, he's a giant. Expect Fabinho to win and win easily those second balls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Djemba-Djemba

Klopp hasn’t had an answer for Mourinho yet unfortunately. You’re the only side we’ve played with Klopp as manager where we’ve looked mostly ineffective going forward.
Yeah that's true.

I do think Mourinho gets a lot of unfair criticism too for how dull the games have tended to be, Klopp himself has been very cautious in the games against Utd. We got slaughtered for the 0-0 at Anfield where as Liverpool's performance at Old Trafford in 16/17 was almost exactly the same except you were handed a penalty by Pogba.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You've danced around the idea, flirted with it like crazy, but none of you Liverpool fans are prepared to come right out and say the words; this year is our year. Understandable given the sheer amount of false dawns you lot have had to contend with for the past 3 decades.

This thread needs a poll. Will Liverpool finally end their 30-year wait for a league title?

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
You've danced around the idea, flirted with it like crazy, but none of you Liverpool fans are prepared to come right out and say the words; this year is our year. Understandable given the sheer amount of false dawns you lot have had to contend with for the past 3 decades.

This thread needs a poll. Will Liverpool finally end their 30-year wait for a league title?
That’s because I and many others can’t see beyond City winning another title. They’re still a much better squad of players with a better manager. I can see us finishing 2nd or 3rd but I don’t think we’ll win it.

85ish points and an FA Cup would be great.

You can’t find a post from a Liverpool fan in this thread that even remotely suggests that they think ‘it’s our year’.

Varun

Staff
Keita hasn’t kicked a ball in the PL yet, that is true but if you watch football and think of our system, you will know this guy is going to tear it up. He is the master of transitions. He wins the ball, runs through midfields like they aren’t there and has very good dribbling and the vision to make the killer pass. I disagree on Valencia, I think he is one of the most useless players in the PL, he can’t cross, he doesn’t even take on the opponent these days, he just checks back and passes the ball. Lukaku wouldn’t dislodge Firmino from our system either. I prefer Firmino, he doesn’t go missing. I hear United fans call Lukaku a donkey, you’d never hear our fans say negative things about Firmino.
So its about systems when it comes to which United player would get into the Pool side but that logic goes out of the window when its the other way round?

The part in bold is funny because its true. United posters on the Caf are weird in that a player must prove himself quality without doubt to be considered so and even then you'd have some of them looking for arguments on why not. Pool on the other hand start with a world class squad by default every season with the best players in every position. Its only when games start being played that these player rankings get normalized and even then, with a system polar opposite to caftards when it comes to United players here.

Varun

Staff
Mourinho sides are always difficult sides to score against, he’s the type of guy to stay up every night all week in his basement studying how to stop an attacking side rather than focus on how to beat a team through attacking. Granted you beat us, but you literally scored goals from two long balls and then the second balls. I’d be more impressed with us hardly scoring against you if your tactics were open rather than just putting 10 men behind the ball once you are leading.
Why do more teams not do it if its as simple as that?

DonnieDarko

Supports
Liverpool
As much as we've improved, we're still not likely to win the league ahead of this City. Not saying it's impossible, but... What can you say if some of their squad players walk into most of the competitors starting XI.

What I like about our current situation is that our core players are at their prime years. Also they were either signed recently or got a renewed deals. Salah and Firmino signed an extension this summer, Mane extension queued and all signs are positive. Our players also actively promote others to come (e.g. Firmino and Salah played their part in luring Alisson). Seems like the atmosphere within the club is really good.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I think the key for Liverpool (and United) is not dropping too many points against the bottom half of the league. City showed last season they can impose their will on most teams and that's what I think will set the top 3 teams apart.

With that said, a lot of that comes down to depth. If Liverpool keep continually give game time to guys like Moreno and Solanke, I can't see them beating City when their bench consists of players like Aguero and Danillo.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Mourinho sides are always difficult sides to score against, he’s the type of guy to stay up every night all week in his basement studying how to stop an attacking side rather than focus on how to beat a team through attacking. Granted you beat us, but you literally scored goals from two long balls and then the second balls. I’d be more impressed with us hardly scoring against you if your tactics were open rather than just putting 10 men behind the ball once you are leading.
:lol: You are going to be fun to torture this season

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So nobody has said it, except for those who have you mean.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You can’t find a post from a Liverpool fan in this thread that even remotely suggests that they think ‘it’s our year’.
We ought to be competing for the title really. Doesn't mean we ought to win it, but the target has to be 85+ points.
Yes, we should be challenging for the title. But I disagree that there are "no excuses" if we don't
Now that they finally got a great goalie they must compete for the league. No excuse anymore.
It’s fantastic to only have to worry about City this coming season. I still think they will have to much for us over a 38 game season but I think we will run them close.
That's just the first few pages of the thread.

Suggesting that your team will challenge for the title is as good as saying 'it's our year'.

Status
Not open for further replies.