Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
I'm also struggling to see what Klopp has competed for? He got to the CL final last season and that's about it in 3 years now is it?

@ShadesOfTomato has it made out that they are neck and neck each season, just falling short. Baffling.
You just answered your own question. Not the brightest tool in the box are you?

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
:houllier:

Why do you get touchy about this. It's a fact right?
Evidently what you use to determine that and what other people use are vastly different.
Personally I couldn't care less, I've been wanting this for years nobody gives a feck about winning the net spend trophy year after year.
I want us to go and get Fekir done now because we still need depth, we're an injury to mane/Salah away from a massive drop off a shuffle and weaker bench.

I want trophies and tangible success and if we get it playing the way we do I'll be over the moon.

Rossa

That wasn't the point though, was it?
Then what on earth was the point? Not winning a big trophy or winning the FA-cup, for instance, which would you have? What Klopp has proven, beyond doubt at this point in his career, is that he goes beyond any other manager at losing finals. It's like going all the rounds against Tyson and losing in the final - great job lasting that long and entertaining the crowd, but you still lost. United have lost far too much lately as well - but your argument is just deeply flawed.

TheReligion

Abusive
You just answered your own question. Not the brightest tool in the box are you?
The brightest tool? You mean sharpest tool.. dear me. The glare off those tools in natural sunlight is unreal.

He's made a single CL final in 3 years. You make it sound like he's running everyone close for major honours each season - he's not.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
In all honesty, have you seen how the owners spend money for the Boston Red Sox? That was also a team plagued by not winning the league in quite some time. The ball park was also quite old. The owners not only invested in the team, but also managed to renovate Fenway Park. Yes they will have that in mind; however, I truly believe they have a manager who they like and think is progressing in the direction they envisioned. That's why they are backing him handsomely.
They backed him handsomely this summer because they believe he will deliver that which has eluded them for 30 years, the Holy Grail for all Liverpool associates, the league title. There really is no other way of looking at it.

Jezpeza

On paper Liverpool look great but no knowing how some of the signings will turn out til we see the first few games. Will Salah repeat his form? How will all the midfield signings fit into the team? Will Fabinho be more Kante or Bakayoko? Definitely done well in filling their gaps in this transfer market but all remains to be seen. Big transfer fees don't necessarily mean big performances, wasn't Mahrez 25 quid or something haha

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
After a long time coming I think we will win the league next season. Our women's team has improved a lot lately as you can see so I think we will do it this time! Believe!
We've got a women's team too. They aren't half bad as far as I know, which is very little granted.

TheReligion

Abusive
Evidently what you use to determine that and what other people use are vastly different.
Personally I couldn't care less, I've been wanting this for years nobody gives a feck about winning the net spend trophy year after year.
I want us to go and get Fekir done now because we still need depth, we're an injury to mane/Salah away from a massive drop off a shuffle and weaker bench.

I want trophies and tangible success and if we get it playing the way we do I'll be over the moon.
And there's nothing wrong with that! It's the constant excuses and people trying to play it down which irks people. I'm sure you're delighted and don't care about the money - I am the same with United, we can afford it so don't see the problem. What you have to understand though is many many LFC fans, including Klopp himself, have made digs at United in the past regarding spending and over scrutinising expensive players. Sadly you will have to expect the same as the media will jump all over the club if it continues to fail to deliver success with such hefty amounts of money put on the table.

Stadjer

If their signings turn out to be worth the money they spend on them they could be very good upcoming season. Their goalkeeper got a big upgrade and their midfield has been overhauled... Klopp seems to have a clear plan for their future.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
They've had a fantastic transfer window, plus getting Salah and Firmino to sign new long term deals. I still think Alisson is a bit bogey. £54m is mental for him, imo.

SecondFig

If their signings turn out to be worth the money they spend on them they could be very good upcoming season. Their goalkeeper got a big upgrade and their midfield has been overhauled... Klopp seems to have a clear plan for their future.
Yeah, they've not only improved their midfield but they've really added some depth there too

Rossa

You guys feckin depress me. Talking as if Liverpool as good as already won the league with a couple of decent signing that nobody can guarantee will be good for them. If anything, the expensive signings are the most difficult ones to get right, it often seems. Allison is a wild card for me, and I would be surprised if that many of you actually know that much about him. Seems to be good with his feet, but the actual goalkeeping stuff did not impress me during the WC - is he better than Romero? Not sure. Karius was lauded as a great prospect when they bought him. Some experts said that Mignolet was arguably the best goalie in the Prem the season before Pool bought him - how did that turn out? If anything, Liverpool have a great habit of fecking up their goalies.

Also, this is a United forum, so what't with the Liverpool-positivity? I'm a little nauseous from it, tbh.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
They aren't though. If you want to throw massive amounts of money around then expect the criticism and expectation that comes with it. That's the game sadly. The moment you start breaking records in the transfer fee department, and bearing in mind Klopp has spent more than Mourinho now, there has to be some kind of reward.
The reward should be exciting football and challenging for honours. No one can expect to win the league except City. A good run in a couple of the cups should be expected too.

You can talk of pressure and expectation of winning things all you want. But it's not what you or the media expect that counts, you know.. It's what the fans expect. They are the ones who put pressure on the manager and the team, if their expectations aren't met. And if we are entertained and challenging for honours, I believe the major part of the fans will be happy.

Oh.. And surely the expectations should drop a little, when we have lost some of our best players regularly over the past few years, hence why we have spent the amount we have. We haven't had the luxury to keep our best players like you had.

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
Another season, another year Liverpool fans will say it's their year but alas come May they will have failed to win anything meaningful and would just be nearly men. Nothing to see here folks the boom bust cycle is in full force.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Another season, another year Liverpool fans will say it's their year but alas come May they will have failed to win anything meaningful and would just be nearly men. Nothing to see here folks the boom bust cycle is in full force.
No Liverpool say that and they haven’t for years.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Is Keita any good?
Supposed to be excellent. He's the signing I'm most worried about given he was touted as a top top midfielder before the Liverpool links. If he's genuinely that good, someone like that behind their front three would be frightening.

Klopp has done a terrific job building this team. Just hoping their defence or midfield let's them down.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Supposed to be excellent. He's the signing I'm most worried about given he was touted as a top top midfielder before the Liverpool links. If he's genuinely that good, someone like that behind their front three would be frightening.

Klopp has done a terrific job building this team. Just hoping their defence or midfield let's them down.
I watched him play the second half today against Blackburn and he did look like he can carry the ball forward well. We’ve needed that in our midfield for a while. Chamberlain was doing ok at it but he’s out of action for a while.

His temperament is my only concern.

spiriticon

They've got some team this season. I'm concerned. The only weakness is their bench now. I don't think their subs are the same quality as their first team.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
And there's nothing wrong with that! It's the constant excuses and people trying to play it down which irks people. I'm sure you're delighted and don't care about the money - I am the same with United, we can afford it so don't see the problem. What you have to understand though is many many LFC fans, including Klopp himself, have made digs at United in the past regarding spending and over scrutinising expensive players. Sadly you will have to expect the same as the media will jump all over the club if it continues to fail to deliver success with such hefty amounts of money put on the table.
Honestly I'd look an idiot if everyone pulled me up on every dumb thing that's ever come out my mouth. I think Klopp is probably aware of that. What I will say is most the players we sign under klopp compared to other managers either in the league or previously, I can see how they fit in which is why I usually don't worry too much.

If for example a prime John Terry was available and we signed him for 90 mill and asked him to play in a high line then I'd be troubled. We're no longer buying square pegs for round holes, which after years of a terrible transfer strategy is a relief.

RoyH1

They've got some team this season. I'm concerned. The only weakness is their bench now. I don't think their subs are the same quality as their first team.
Agree. And that’s the difference with the big European juggernauts. They have deep squads. Just remember the quality of subs in the CL final. And as much as they’re buying now, they’re not going to change that much in one offseason.
If I was Koop, I’d concentrate completely on the Premier title.

Theodore

Supports
Liverpool, PAOK
So, is it 'boom/bust cycle' or 'no excuses' for Liverpool fans? We can't do both, you know.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Agree. And that’s the difference with the big European juggernauts. They have deep squads. Just remember the quality of subs in the CL final. And as much as they’re buying now, they’re not going to change that much in one offseason.
If I was Koop, I’d concentrate completely on the Premier title.
It's a fair point. We bought Shaqiri for squad depth - Man City bought Mahrez :lol: Quite a difference there. But still, we should be competing, there's no reason not to at this point. We've two decent players for each midfield spot, and similar (although to a slightly lower standard) for our defence. Our forward line needs another body to cap off what's been a great window, and after that, I'd say we're ready to go.

So, is it 'boom/bust cycle' or 'no excuses' for Liverpool fans? We can't do both, you know.
No excuses from me. This squad shouldn't end the season without, at the very least, competing right until the very death for whatever trophies we choose to prioritize.

Jev

A bit worried about their signings to be honest. They have done really well to address their weaknesses. If the signings kick on and the chemistry continues to flow between Salah, Firmino and Salah, they look a step ahead of us.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
It's a fair point. We bought Shaqiri for squad depth - Man City bought Mahrez :lol: Quite a difference there. But still, we should be competing, there's no reason not to at this point. We've two decent players for each midfield spot, and similar (although to a slightly lower standard) for our defence. Our forward line needs another body to cap off what's been a great window, and after that, I'd say we're ready to go.

No excuses from me. This squad shouldn't end the season without, at the very least, competing right until the very death for whatever trophies we choose to prioritize.
Don't entirely agree. We bought Keita and Fabinho in midfield but lost Ox and Can, which means our midfield depth is still horrendous compared to Europe's elite. We also didn't buy a backup striker which means we're left with one of Origi/Ings/Solanke/Sturridge leading the line if an injury occurs.

We've strengthened overall, mainly thanks to Alisson and Keita imo, but squad depth is still an issue and we're not on City's level so it's daft to expect a title. If they perform at their level of last season I don't think we will run them close for the title. But I agree we should be up there with the league's best, and CL quarter-finals is a minimum as well. Don't care about the League Cup, and the FA Cup would be a nice bonus to have a go at (Klopp's record there should improve).

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Our squaddies are mostly players who were good enough to finish 4th and make it to a CL final when they were first choice. I think that's pretty good.

We're still a bit light up front though and a shiny new centreback would be welcome. I still think we'll move for Fekir. It's less than a week ago that Klopp let it be known that Ward was going to get his chance as 1st choice. Now we have Allison and Ward is joining Leicester.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Keita is the one that worries me. Strange how the dippers got a free run at him.

BullishBull

Supports
Liverpool
Even if we don’t sign Fekir, I’m more than happy with Fabinho as the CDM, which would free up Henderson to play the box to box role, Keita to play as the most advanced midfielder to knit things together. That’s a pretty solid midfield, you wouldn’t want to have a battle with that midfield and it’s proven that Klopp’s system doesn’t require a creative midfield to get results. Keita is creative enough though. I think that midfield is going to be decisive in the big games v big opposition.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Our squaddies are mostly players who were good enough to finish 4th and make it to a CL final when they were first choice. I think that's pretty good.

We're still a bit light up front though and a shiny new centreback would be welcome. I still think we'll move for Fekir. It's less than a week ago that Klopp let it be known that Ward was going to get his chance as 1st choice. Now we have Allison and Ward is joining Leicester.
I wish I shared your optimism but I think we're truly done now. Fékir would be the cherry on top of the cake, but with Klopp's comments, every reliable journo saying we're done and Lyon announcing that Fékir will present the WC trophy on August 12 before their first game, I don't see it happening anymore.

montpelier

Well, he should be trying to win the games in the LC & FAC now & seeing how they sit in March having reached the QFs - rather than having a look at the youngsters like has gone on so far.

They won't matter if they don't get won - but would be spun heavily as indicating great progress if a pot should actually be won.

Like for all the teams except City maybe.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Even if we don’t sign Fekir, I’m more than happy with Fabinho as the CDM, which would free up Henderson to play the box to box role, Keita to play as the most advanced midfielder to knit things together. That’s a pretty solid midfield, you wouldn’t want to have a battle with that midfield and it’s proven that Klopp’s system doesn’t require a creative midfield to get results. Keita is creative enough though. I think that midfield is going to be decisive in the big games v big opposition.
No thanks. Henderson can barely run at this point. From our current midfield options, probably Wijnaldum would be best in that position (assuming Lallana is now done because of the injuries.)

We still need a 10, wouldn't mind Ziyech if Klopp can't get the man he wants, but he's proven stubborn once he has a preferred target, so I'm expecting no new signings.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
We were due a really ambitious window. We were pretty much breaking even according to this ;

https://www.independent.ie/sport/so...te-over-managerial-achievements-36861511.html

I'm satisfied with the way the window has gone for us. I guess Klopp is sick of losing finals. If we got a 10 (Fekir) I'd say man for man we can compete with City, the major difference is the depth they have which over the course of the season will prove to be our shortcoming. We can be dangerous in cup competitions so hopefully we can win one in the coming season.
I'm also pretty happy that the world cup won't affect our start of the season too much only Lovren from the team that started the final is affected by it. Henderson might miss it, but I struggle to see him displacing Fabinho once he gets going. I'm guessing Clyne will start as well, he can do a job, even though I don't rate him. I'm hoping Trent Arnold gets back into the team sharpish.
Provided we don't get a 10 we'll probably look something like this once we get going. That's good enough for 2nd and a cup I reckon.

------------------------------Alisson

Trent Arnold--------Matip--------Van Dijk--------Robertson

----------------------------Fabinho

------------------Këita-----------------Wijnaldum

----------------------------Firmino
---------Salah ------------------------------------Mané

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It is frustrating seeing Liverpool fill gaps everyone knows they have, while we...well, don't.

They'll be a force next year, I don't doubt that. I do question whether they'll do much better though.

montpelier

But, I reckon the open top bus might be out if they snaffle the League Cup on penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.