Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Three years. No trophies. World record fees on a defender and a keeper. Fabinho. Keita. And you're fine with another year without a trophy? :lol:
There is a good chance four of the top six teams will win nothing next year, because you have six teams vying for one position, be it the league, the fa cup or the league cup. Then you have ten or eleven teams vying for one spot in the champions league. If this were italy or germany or france, where you have one team dominating the league, then it would be a disappointment for that top team not to win anything, but not in the PL.

RedB4ndiT

They're going to win the league. City had no answers to them and they've had the best transfer window of any big club. Hopefully we can buy Messi next year so we can compete with City and Liverpool. :(

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It makes you enjoy the little things in life ;)

I wholeheartedly agree with him fwiw. Those with their "zero excuses" and "complete failure" comments should we not win a trophy this season are talking bollocks.
You finished top four last season and reached a CL final. After spending large sums of money in the transfer market this summer, it's only logical to expect a significant improvement in practically every aspect. Anything less than a genuine title challenge and reaching the CL final will be considered a failure. Being a Liverpool fan must be great right about now, what with the guarantee of a fantastic season ahead.

Given United's relative lack of spending this summer, we'll be lucky to scrape top 4 (apparently).

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
How can you say that but then reply above saying that we should be expecting improvements on 4th and a CL final?

It’s one or the other isn’t it?
Not sure what you mean.

Are you not expecting a huge improvement from Liverpool next season?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Three years. No trophies. World record fees on a defender and a keeper. Fabinho. Keita. And you're fine with another year without a trophy? :lol:

Tell me this, when WILL you expect Klopp to actually win something? After another £200 million is spent?
I don't expect us to win a trophy before the start of any season. City is stronger in the league, a couple of teams are stronger in the CL, and the two domestic cups are a lottery. Why should I expect anything? All I want is a title challenge and one, perhaps two deep cup runs.

If we play a brand of football as exciting as last year, finish 1 point behind City and lose the CL final to Barcelona, feck me I would be disappointed but really proud of the team, and I know I'll have greatly enjoyed the season even though it ends in disappointment. What would've been the difference between winning or losing the CL final last season? An epic night out, a better memory than I have now and some more bragging rights over other English clubs. That's lacking now but I still look fondly back to our CL run because it was brilliant and had me excited for weeks in a row, and that's what I want from football.

You finished top four last season and reached a CL final. After spending large sums of money in the transfer market this summer, it's only logical to expect a significant improvement in practically every aspect. Anything less than a genuine title challenge and reaching the CL final will be considered a failure. Being a Liverpool fan must be great right about now, what with the guarantee of a fantastic season ahead.

Given United's relative lack of spending this summer, we'll be lucky to scrape top 4 (apparently).
There's no such thing as a guarantee for a fantastic season. A title challenge would be great, reaching the CL final in consecutive years will be damn hard if not close to impossible. I'd think we could challenge for the title yes, but if City is anywhere close to as strong as they were last year, there won't be a title race by the turn of the year.

You can't go "boom/bust cycle blablabla" but then get annoyed that we're downplaying our ambitions before the start of the new season. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Ah, I was wondering where our Scouse friends were hiding all summer. Glad to see them all alive and well!
I've posted over 500 messages since the start of the WC, and same goes for Klopper I guess.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Not sure what you mean.

Are you not expecting a huge improvement from Liverpool next season?
But a few posts earlier you were posting about the boom-bust cycle suggesting we shouldn’t be expecting better, but it’s funny that we are.

buck3y3nut

Supports
Liverpool
Ah, I was wondering where our Scouse friends were hiding all summer. Glad to see them all alive and well!
Hiding in the same spot as the members here coming out to say Klopp is a hypocrite for what he said when you guys got Pogba. And I've been posting here and there as well. I mostly enjoy reading the threads here :)

I haven't read the entire thread to say who's said we will win the league, but I don't think we will. Yes we've upgraded and addressed some problem areas in our team, but let's remember we still have Lovren playing who's always got a brain fart in him.

DDG has gotten you lot so many extra points every season and I certainly hope Alisson does the same for us. It really could be the difference between the 1-0 or the games where we are 3-0 up and still draw 3-3. I personally would have liked to see Fekir come in as well but if it was between him or an upgrade on GK, I'd pick the latter. How Alisson does is yet to be seen; however, it's definitely encouraging to know we won't start with Karius or Mignolet as our #1! Now if only we could also upgrade our GK coach.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
There's no such thing as a guarantee for a fantastic season. A title challenge would be great, reaching the CL final in consecutive years will be damn hard if not close to impossible. I'd think we could challenge for the title yes, but if City is anywhere close to as strong as they were last year, there won't be a title race by the turn of the year.

You can't go "boom/bust cycle blablabla" but then get annoyed that we're downplaying our ambitions before the start of the new season. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
I'm not downplaying your ambitions at all, quite the opposite in fact. From what I have gathered from this thread thus far is that Liverpool will almost certainly challenge for the title next season. I'm just going along with the general consensus.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
But a few posts earlier you were posting about the boom-bust cycle suggesting we shouldn’t be expecting better, but it’s funny that we are.
Liverpool fans in a bullish mood this time of year is very much boom/bust cycle.

Are you not expecting vast improvements from your club next season given their transfer market expenditure this summer - far outweighing the competition by a significant margin.

TheReligion

Abusive
This is not the Fred thread mate.

Keita was £52.75m by the way but don't let facts get in your way.
What does Fred have to do with this? Confused.

Granted Keita was £54m due to Leipzig's finish (transfermarkt).

Mega money. Trophies or bust. Simply got to be.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool

Tell me this, when WILL you expect Klopp to actually win something? After another £200 million is spent?
Winning the FA/League Cup would make absolutely no difference for me. I'd rather make a CL final than win an FA/LC double.

The majority of the big money has been spent this summer, with VVD also having only played half a season. This season is where Klopp's Liverpool is entering its proper form.

That said, Pep's City will make it very hard to win the title. Using this past season as a measure, we're going to likely have to get 85-90+ points just to compete. Bridging the gap on them and making it a real competition would be good progress.

Guy Incognito

Addressing the areas they need to address.

But it makes me laugh how people are calling them "transfer window champions" like it means anything. Just ask Tottenham. :lol:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool fans in a bullish mood this time of year is very much boom/bust cycle.

Are you not expecting vast improvements from your club next season given their transfer market expenditure this summer - far outweighing the competition by a significant margin.
I always thought that referred to Liverpool fans thinking we were going to win the league every year (which most Liverpool fans never do any more).

I expect higher than 4th and a cup as a minimum, so I’d be happy with 3rd and the FA Cup for example. That’s not an unreasonable expectation in my opinion.

PoTMS

Feck these cnuts. Seeing them sort out problem positions in the last year while we fiddle about with our dick in our hands is infuriating. Woodward better pull his finger out in the next few weeks.

TheReligion

Abusive
It makes you enjoy the little things in life ;)

I wholeheartedly agree with him fwiw. Those with their "zero excuses" and "complete failure" comments should we not win a trophy this season are talking bollocks.
They aren't though. If you want to throw massive amounts of money around then expect the criticism and expectation that comes with it. That's the game sadly. The moment you start breaking records in the transfer fee department, and bearing in mind Klopp has spent more than Mourinho now, there has to be some kind of reward.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I always thought that referred to Liverpool fans thinking we were going to win the league every year (which most Liverpool fans never do any more).

I expect higher than 4th and a cup as a minimum, so I’d be happy with 3rd and the FA Cup for example. That’s not an unreasonable expectation in my opinion.
That's not unreasonable but it's hardly an improvement - if at all. I would imagine Klopp and his players will have very different goals for next season, as will the money men who supplied him a near bottomless war chest with which to go on a wild spending spree.

TheReligion

Abusive
Winning the FA/League Cup would make absolutely no difference for me. I'd rather make a CL final than win an FA/LC double.

The majority of the big money has been spent this summer, with VVD also having only played half a season. This season is where Klopp's Liverpool is entering its proper form.

That said, Pep's City will make it very hard to win the title. Using this past season as a measure, we're going to likely have to get 85-90+ points just to compete. Bridging the gap on them and making it a real competition would be good progress.
Nah sorry that's just bravado bullshit.

You've won nothing in 13 going on 14 years. Winning a domestic trophy would be massive for the club. Fact.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

You've won nothing in 13 going on 14 years. Winning a domestic trophy would be massive for the club. Fact.
Not to mention it's been almost 30 years since Liverpool last won a league title. You would have to imagine that the clubs hierarchy will have had that firmly in mind as they watched their manager spend almost £200 million in the transfer market.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool

Winning a domestic trophy would make very little difference to my opinion on this current Liverpool team. We're being built to win CLs and PLs.

TheReligion

Abusive
Winning a domestic trophy would make very little difference to my opinion on this current Liverpool team. We're being built to win CLs and PLs.
Everyone is being built to win CL and PL but there's only two trophies available per season..

Your club needs to win SOMETHING. Much like Spurs to an extent however your boss has spent obscene amounts and expectations and scrutiny are rightly high.

TheReligion

Abusive
Not to mention it's been almost 30 years since Liverpool last won a league title. You would have to imagine that the clubs hierarchy will have had that firmly in mind as they watched their manager almost £200 million in the transfer market.
Klopp has spent more than Mourinho. Only Pep and the Sheikh have spent more.

They simply have to deliver

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Everyone is being built to win CL and PL but there's only two trophies available per season..

Your club needs to win SOMETHING. Much like Spurs to an extent however your boss has spent obscene amounts and expectations and scrutiny are rightly high.
Winning a League Cup or FA Cup wouldn't satisfy those expectations. Certainly less than competing until the end/winning the two major competitions. That's where the legacy is built. It'd be a nice day out but little else, really.

Klopp has spent more than Mourinho. Only Pep and the Sheikh have spent more.

They simply have to deliver
Even before the expenditure this summer, he's done what Mourinho has utterly failed to at Man Utd so far - compete for major trophies.

buck3y3nut

Supports
Liverpool
Not to mention it's been almost 30 years since Liverpool last won a league title. You would have to imagine that the clubs hierarchy will have had that firmly in mind as they watched their manager spend almost £200 million in the transfer market.
In all honesty, have you seen how the owners spend money for the Boston Red Sox? That was also a team plagued by not winning the league in quite some time. The ball park was also quite old. The owners not only invested in the team, but also managed to renovate Fenway Park. Yes they will have that in mind; however, I truly believe they have a manager who they like and think is progressing in the direction they envisioned. That's why they are backing him handsomely.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
In all honesty, have you seen how the owners spend money for the Boston Red Sox? That was also a team plagued by not winning the league in quite some time. The ball park was also quite old. The owners not only invested in the team, but also managed to renovate Fenway Park. Yes they will have that in mind; however, I truly believe they have a manager who they like and think is progressing in the direction they envisioned. That's why they are backing him handsomely.
We've been pretty frugal in the market for a number of years. Add on this year's CL prize money + the Coutinho sale and it's easy to see where the money is coming from.

TheReligion

Abusive
Winning a League Cup or FA Cup wouldn't satisfy those expectations. Certainly less than competing until the end/winning the two major competitions. That's where the legacy is built. It'd be a nice day out but little else, really.

Even before the expenditure this summer, he's done what Mourinho has utterly failed to at Man Utd so far - compete for major trophies.
He's also utterly failed to win anything, something Mourinho has actually
managed to achieve. Statistics will show Mourinho is doing a better job.

With regards to the cups you're talking like someone who has never seen their club win anything. I guess you're numb to it.

Rossa

Has he won any?

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Has he won any?
That wasn't the point though, was it?

He's also utterly failed to win anything, something Mourinho has actually
managed to achieve. Statistics will show Mourinho is doing a better job.

With regards to the cups you're talking like someone who has never seen their club win anything. I guess you're numb to it.
The signings we've made this summer have alluded to our CL run as being important in their decision to join. When we won the Carling Cup in 2012 we struggled to sign Joe Allen.

Competing at the highest levels means the best players will want to join you. Guess you've forgotten what that feels like, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.