Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapardin

Thing about Liverpools performance today wasnt just about the complete lack of penetration, it was that after 20 minutes, their "Gangbang Press'" stopped being effective and we just played out from the back around their advancing players. Even Smalling looked comfortable on the ball against them. Once you start doing that and the press become ineffective, you actually have to play on the deck and their midfield is so average that they'll have to rely on individual brilliance.

Their style of football is burning them out. Its not by coincidence they've started dropping points left right and centre since christmas. You cannot play that type of football all year but Kop tries to against every team including the lower league ones.
You do realize that Klopp has not been using his trademark energetic pressing this season? They have played ugly, resorted to long balls and have basically resembled Mourinho's Chelsea (minus the extreme bus-parking). It's only the quality of their frontline that still makes their football watchable, or it would be as tumescent as any other.

In short, they are as dull as dishwater. Klopp is under pressure to win something after investing in the squad and so he's altered his approach. I suppose their fans would happily accept this if they can win a league title though.

Liverpool have probably been outrun by the likes of Spurs and even ourselves under Ole this season.

InfiniteBoredom

They are 1 point ahead of City and play like absolute wank. I’d actually now be comfortable with us beating City because the Scousers will drop more than 4 points vs City in the run in, imo.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Its a really interesting run in now, isn't it? Liverpool are in with the biggest chance to win the Premier League in many many years, if ever? It is even bigger than under Rodgers this time, no?

I think they will do it. If you think about all the money they have spent. Odd 200m last year they have outspent City haven't they? I think the investments will reap benefits and Klopp's experience and cool will take them over the line.

Hazza83

Supports
Liverpool
Talking about our lack of ambition after that display from your lads? :lol:
As I've said, we were poor. But you do understand what I mean by a lack of ambition? A team that is supposedly a top level premier league team playing at home with a low block.
Lad us today was like you guys missing Mane, Salah, Fabihno and with Firmino playing on one leg. How do you think you'd play against a top side in that situation?

Also we looked far more likely to score. Like far far more likely.
Don't disagree with this at all. You guys definitely had the better chances (Given we pretty much created nothing). But I thought Solskjaer might come out and press us a little and try keep possession since you were playing at home (initially, before the injury crisis). He didn't, hence the questioning of why United are still employing Mourinho tactics against us. Course, this time, we added nothing at all either, so contributed to the poor spectacle. Was disappointed with the game....again. This game hasn't been a good watch in years.

mav_9me

As I've said, we were poor. But you do understand what I mean by a lack of ambition? A team that is supposedly a top level premier league team playing at home with a low block.

Don't disagree with this at all. You guys definitely had the better chances (Given we pretty much created nothing). But I thought Solskjaer might come out and press us a little and try keep possession since you were playing at home (initially, before the injury crisis). He didn't, hence the questioning of why United are still employing Mourinho tactics against us. Course, this time, we added nothing at all either, so contributed to the poor spectacle. Was disappointed with the game....again. This game hasn't been a good watch in years.
Just because we did not start the game pressing doesn't mean we were lacking in ambition. And the injuries stated pretty soon in first half, ruined any game plan we had. Not to mention starting without 3 of our first choice front 6. I wonder how you would do without say Mane/Firmino/ Fabinho and then lose Wijnaldum, Shaqiri and have Salah half fit.

Listar

Just because we did not start the game pressing doesn't mean we were lacking in ambition. And the injuries stated pretty soon in first half, ruined any game plan we had. Not to mention starting without 3 of our first choice front 6. I wonder how you would do without say Mane/Firmino/ Fabinho and then lose Wijnaldum, Shaqiri and have Salah half fit.
And we still have the better chances. I can’t see how united can come out of this looking bad.:confused:

It’s always very funny to see other people try to big us up (you are a big team more money blah blah blah) for the purpose of insulting us.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yes, and it makes sense I suppose. Naively, I thought the tactics would change since Mourinho was no longer in charge, but sadly they didn't. To be clear, Liverpool were shocking tonight and didn't come close to unlocking the low block.
If you didn't see change in approach between this United team and the one under Jose, then you should either watch closely or just give up. Liverpool dominated possession and didn't create a single chance. We didn't even park the bus, we set up to play counter attacking which makes sense considering how many players we missed.

Listar

Yes, and it makes sense I suppose. Naively, I thought the tactics would change since Mourinho was no longer in charge, but sadly they didn't. To be clear, Liverpool were shocking tonight and didn't come close to unlocking the low block.
What’s more amazing is that klopp tried to play LVG style of football? Left right left right. Was De Gea even on the pitch today? I can’t tell after first 5 minutes.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Christ we've got some clueless Liverpool fans here.

If your main take from yesterday's match is that United lacked ambition then it's time to follow a new sport.

haram

Anytime a team defends well fans from teams like Liverpool act like it is parking the bus. Extremely irritating trend.

KM

Anytime a team defends well fans from teams like Liverpool act like it is parking the bus. Extremely irritating trend.
Liverpool should be extremely embarrassed by this display. 5 of our first choice 11 injured and it was the easiest match for De Gea this season by a long mile.

Maybe all the stupid posts by them is just a mechanism for coping.

roonster09

Scout
Liverpool should be extremely embarrassed by this display. 5 of our first choice 11 injured and it was the easiest match for De Gea this season by a long mile.

Without a doubt.

haram

We would have beaten them easily at full strength. Second time in a row at Old Trafford we have nullified their attack.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I only watched the highlights, but... I've said it for a while, but our front 3 is struggling. It looks devoid of ideas and that extra second of surprise/instinct that drove us so far offensively last season. We need a new body to come in & freshen it up a bit. Give us new ideas, re-spark something in the other three.

By some distance our biggest to-do for the summer for me.

roonster09

Scout
Since the Moyes season, Benteke is the only Liverpool player to score from open play at Old Trafford.

2014-15 - 3-0
2015-16 - 3-1 (Benteke scored from open play)
2016-17 - 1-1 (Milner penalty)
2017-18 - 2-1 (Bailly own goal)
2018-19 - 0-0

Lentwood

It’s funny because last year I was begrudgingly impressed by Liverpool but they finished 4th

This year, almost every time I have seen them they have been tumescent, yet they are top and in with a great chance of winning the league!

I do wonder if opposition teams now see them as a “big” team again and are setting up totally different against them this year. Low block to deny space behind and sitting off putting the initiative on their midfield to create something.

Also, on Salah. It’s a wierd one. I argue with my Liverpool-supporting mate all the time about this player or that player but we both agreed Salah is/was a very strange player even last year. Looks dreadful for long periods and then goes and nicks a couple of goals with great skill or finishing. You certainly can’t argue with his goals return at all but I’ve felt for a while that when the goals don’t come there invariably isn’t much else! Obviously that’s offset by the fact they often do come!

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Why did their supporters disrespect the one minute silence at the start of the game?
I just can't understand them?

Treble

Nothing is decided yet. Liverpool might go on a winning run. I warned the Pool fans though that the fixtures from PSG away to City away will take their toll on their form. Let's see whether they will be able te recapture their form.

Their front 3 have played much more in the league than the City one - about 1400 minutes more than Aguero, Sterling and Sane which is 15 full games combined.

Oldyella

I only watched the highlights, but... I've said it for a while, but our front 3 is struggling. It looks devoid of ideas and that extra second of surprise/instinct that drove us so far offensively last season. We need a new body to come in & freshen it up a bit. Give us new ideas, re-spark something in the other three.

By some distance our biggest to-do for the summer for me.
Difficult though when they all individually bring so much. I'm surprised they haven't used Shaquiri a bit more as whenever I have seen him brought in (admittedly not much) he's looked useful.

Ban

What did that Hatza guy do to get banned after 65 posts? :lol:

Anyway Firmino being out might be a big blow for them.

Minimalist

How did any United supporters even have time to get in Hillsborough songs in between all the songs about Ole? It was the only thing you could hear all game.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool

By using your logic 4 of our first 11 are injured too. How is Mata a first choice now? Matic, Martial, Herrera and Lingaard are your only first choice injuries, 2 of which played some part of the game.

Some United fans acting like they had to play their reserves. Ole's fault for bringing on Lingaard idiotic move to bring on someone coming back from a hamstring. Your replacements are a 75m striker and a guy who is on the highest wages in the league and you still had a 50m+ midfielder on the bench. Seems Liverpool fans aren't the only ones using coping mechanisms

El Zoido

Liverpool looked poor, should have done much better against a depleted and disrupted United team. We were there for the taking.

cyberman

By using your logic 4 of our first 11 are injured too. How is Mata a first choice now? Matic, Martial, Herrera and Lingaard are your only first choice injuries, 2 of which played some part of the game.

Some United fans acting like they had to play their reserves. Ole's fault for bringing on Lingaard idiotic move to bring on someone coming back from a hamstring. Your replacements are a 75m striker and a guy who is on the highest wages in the league and you still had a 50m+ midfielder on the bench. Seems Liverpool fans aren't the only ones using coping mechanisms
You see our midfield? An injured striker and two flops that everyone wants see sold?
So yeah, your performance was dog shit quite frankly. Especially the way your lot have criticised our performances in Anfield were you end up taking shots from distance and call us lucky for David making routine saves.
Id love to bump those post match threads right now.

KM

Oh wow it was four instead of five then my mistake. As for your team only Gomez missed the match as your first XI.

It's quite shameful that you couldn't even out play our B side but hey ho if you're happy with that then good for you.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Oh wow it was four instead of five then my mistake. As for your team only Gomez missed the match as your first XI.

It's quite shameful that you couldn't even out play our B side at a home match but hey ho if you're happy with that then good for you.
We always do poorly against United at Old Trafford. A point was what I said I'd be more than happy with before the game, & a point remains a good result for us, regardless of who played for you lot.

It's not the worst performance seen by an English club at OT in recent weeks, mind you :angel:

KM

We always do poorly against United at Old Trafford. A point was what I said I'd be more than happy with before the game, & a point remains a good result for us, regardless of who played for you lot.

It's not the worst performance seen by an English club at OT in recent weeks, mind you :angel:
Yeah I agree a point before the game would've been counted as a good result but you've to see every result in context and Liverpool should've won yesterday given the three injuries. City certainly would've.

As for the second paragraph - as our former manager would say "I got nothing to say"

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The saltiness of Liverpool fans today. Hardly any of mine at work will talk to me, even though it's not even the worst result for them. It's definitely a missed opportunity and worry they didn't create anything against us considering the injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.