Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
6 or 7 injured players? Name them? You had Matic and Martial out at the start of the game that's it. Bringing Lingaard on after coming off a hammy injury was idiotic.
Matic
Lingard
Martial
Herrera
Mata
Rashford (not fully fit)

That's 5 players injured with one semi fit.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Fair enough if that's your expectation. But you're up against an incredible City team.

We didn't just lose 3 players during the game itself. Matic, Martial and Lingard were injured prior to the game. City would not be happy with a draw against that amount of depletion let alone Herrera, Mata and Rashford (partly) added as well.

Also, I'm not sure your logic is convincing at all. Aren't expectations based on the situation? You would have been happy with finishing 3 points behind City at the start of the season. Would you still be happy that just because that's the way you felt at the start?
Well said. We were already depleted and lost 3 key players before the forst half. We were there for the taking considering the situation. Still Liverpool looked so toothless and that's a missed opportunity.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
6 or 7 injured players? Name them? You had Matic and Martial out at the start of the game that's it. Bringing Lingaard on after coming off a hammy injury was idiotic.
If you start counting you will at least reach 5.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Matic
Lingard
Martial
Herrera
Mata
Rashford (not fully fit)

That's 5 players injured with one semi fit.
Valencia and Darmian too. Jones wasn't seen with the squad either so I assume he's out. Alright, they're more like squad players but City aside, I imagine most of the top 6 would struggle without 5 first XI players and 4 squad players.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Does feel like we didn’t have anything in our locker. When you have that much of the ball and create next to nothing, there’s definitely something wrong with the set up.

I did think United were excellent at the back though. Lindelof was especially good.
He was his usual calm and confident self at the back. He reads the game as well as anyone in the PL in my honest opinion - the transformation he has undergone from last season to this moment could not be more apparent. Smalling was equally good, particularly in the air where he was dominant. The entire back four were as solid as they have been in years.

I thought Fabinho (and I'm shuddering as I say this) was impressive. He is accurate long-range passing reminded me of Pau.... No. I won't go that far.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Valencia and Darmian too. Jones wasn't seen with the squad either so I assume he's out. Alright, they're more like squad players but City aside, I imagine most of the top 6 would struggle without 5 first XI players and 4 squad players.
Rojo as well

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Fair enough if that's your expectation. But you're up against an incredible City team.

We didn't just lose 3 players during the game itself. Matic, Martial and Lingard were injured prior to the game. City would not be happy with a draw against that amount of depletion let alone Herrera, Mata and Rashford (partly) added as well.

Also, I'm not sure your logic is convincing at all. Aren't expectations based on the situation? You would have been happy with finishing 3 points behind City at the start of the season. Would you still be happy that just because that's the way you felt at the start?
I haven't mentioned expectations at all, so not sure why you're changing the goalposts here.

I'm merely saying that a draw is a decent result that keeps us on course and doesn't break momentum/confidence in a game where that easily could have happened.

Obviously I'm disappointed that we didn't capitalise given the situation with the injuries - but looking at the result and the outcome in isolation, it's not an overly bad one for us.

Josh 76

Had mane shot been half a cm more against City, Liverpool would have the title wrapped up that night. Possible 10 point lead down to 1 point in a few weeks.
Klopp seemed very stressed during the post match interview. That's the worst I've seen him.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I haven't mentioned expectations at all, so not sure why you're changing the goalposts here.

I'm merely saying that a draw is a decent result that keeps us on course and doesn't break momentum/confidence in a game where that easily could have happened.

Obviously I'm disappointed that we didn't capitalise given the situation with the injuries - but looking at the result and the outcome in isolation, it's not an overly bad one for us.
Not to anyone with half a clue.

If Liverpool manages to win the league this season, they would have done so with the worst team in living memory.

Before you say it, no, it's not banter. I genuinely don't rate this Liverpool team - certainly not enough to be league title winners.

Good fortune has brought you to this point. It's okay, you can admit it.

Last edited:

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Not to anyone with half a clue.

If Liverpool manages to win the league this season, they would have done so with the worst team to have done so in living memory.

Before you say it, no, it's not banter. I genuinely don't rate this Liverpool team - certainly not enough to be league title winners.

Can I have some of the drugs you're taking?

buck3y3nut

Supports
Liverpool

We have been pretty mediocre for the last few games and some of the decisions Klopp has made are baffling to say the least. Keita has a good game against Bayern, yet he couldn't get a sniff in today's game when we needed that extra push in the midfield.

Salah went into a shell and never felt like climbing out. He took off Henderson today for Shaqiri, even though Henderson was having a good game.

You can't blindly say it's been all good fortune. The defense really has stabilized, but the front three are not working seamlessly together like they have. Mane's first touch and passing is getting very inconsistent.

Honestly if we continue to play like this, I am afraid our 29 year wait will continue to be. Man City is good at killing games and they are now playing with a chip on their shoulder hungry for the title.

Robbie Boy

Salah looked like a pub player today and Mane was beyond atrocious. Not a fan of Mane whatsoever. He’s such a clueless player at times.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We have been pretty mediocre for the last few games and some of the decisions Klopp has made are baffling to say the least. Keita has a good game against Bayern, yet he couldn't get a sniff in today's game when we needed that extra push in the midfield.

Salah went into a shell and never felt like climbing out. He took off Henderson today for Shaqiri, even though Henderson was having a good game.

You can't blindly say it's been all good fortune. The defense really has stabilized, but the front three are not working seamlessly together like they have. Mane's first touch and passing is getting very inconsistent.

Honestly if we continue to play like this, I am afraid our 29 year wait will continue to be. Man City is good at killing games and they are now playing with a chip on their shoulder hungry for the title.
Not all good fortune, obviously, but enough to elevate them above their rightful position. Right now they are battling it out with City at the top of the table when in truth they should be scrapping it out with the rest of the top four hopefuls.

Most Liverpool fans refuse to acknowledge how influential their team's good fortune has been on their current league standing. Denial is a powerful barrier to break.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
We played terrible and came away with a point away. However, City would destroyed united today considering how terrible they were.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Seems like I didn't miss much (I slept through the game).

Not all good fortune, obviously, but enough to elevate them above their rightful position. Right now they are battling it out with City at the top of the table when in truth they should be scrapping it out with the rest of the top four hopefuls.

Most Liverpool fans refuse to acknowledge how influential their team's good fortune has been on their current league standing. Denial is a powerful barrier to break.
We should be closer to Spurs current total than City, but top four shouldn't be a worry like it is for yourselves/Arsenal. I said it yesterday in the PL thread - City are 100% deserving of their points total. Their wins are almost always totally convincing, and you get a feeling the same fixture could be played 10 times and the result would be the same each time.

Both us & Spurs are probably 5-8 points better off than perhaps we ought to be. Games where undeniable good fortune (Pickford's blunder) or major opposition error (Mahrez's penalty) have definitely happened for us moreso than City.

Part of that is earned by having the best defense in the league, though. Conceding just 15 goals in 27 games allows for that little bit of extra fortune, so it's not all luck.

Kundale

Supports
Liverpool
I think games are being played not to lose rather than to win.

AJ10

We played terrible and came away with a point away. However, City would destroyed united today considering how terrible they were.
Well, we had Martial and Matic missing from the start then we had Herrera/mata/lingard off in the first half and despite that you lot created......Nothing. Any team with some balls would have attacked united when you consider those injuries and rashford playing while injured.

We created the better chances and you lot had one shot on target (i believe) from far, not bad for a team who had many injuries and were "terrible". :lol:

Last edited:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Seems like I didn't miss much (I slept through the game).

We should be closer to Spurs current total than City, but top four shouldn't be a worry like it is for yourselves/Arsenal. I said it yesterday in the PL thread - City are 100% deserving of their points total. Their wins are almost always totally convincing, and you get a feeling the same fixture could be played 10 times and the result would be the same each time.

Both us & Spurs are probably 5-8 points better off than perhaps we ought to be. Games where undeniable good fortune (Pickford's blunder) or major opposition error (Mahrez's penalty) have definitely happened for us moreso than City.

Part of that is earned by having the best defense in the league, though. Conceding just 15 goals in 27 games allows for that little bit of extra fortune, so it's not all luck.
Not to mention the rather large number of last-minute winners they've had this season and that extremely kind festive period fixture list. Every team gets the rub of the green from time to time but Liverpool has received far beyond their fair share.

The truth is, Liverpool aren't nearly close to City as many of their fans (and many of ours whilst we're on the subject) believe them to be. City is a country mile ahead of us all in my humble opinion.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Not to mention the rather large number of last-minute winners they've had this season and that extremely kind festive period fixture list. Every team gets the rub of the green from time to time but Liverpool has received far beyond their fair share.

The truth is, Liverpool aren't nearly close to City as many of their fans (and many of ours whilst we're on the subject) believe them to be. City is a country mile ahead of us all in my humble opinion.
I've said as much for months. They make six changes & play Sane/Jesus/Mahrez/KDB/Silva. We make 3 changes & play Henderson*/Origi/Lallana :lol:

*Hendo is decent, but still.

GeorgieBoy

What was up with their away fans? Everytime they come to Old Trafford they are terrible particularly today. No noise whatsoever.
Are away tickets being given to day trippers and travel companies?
Genuine question to Pool fans on the forum.

automaticflare

Yes, and it makes sense I suppose. Naively, I thought the tactics would change since Mourinho was no longer in charge, but sadly they didn't. To be clear, Liverpool were shocking tonight and didn't come close to unlocking the low block.
That’s a stupid comment. Best tactics against Liverpool is to sit deep and hit them on the break and it has been proven time and time again. Stop blaming other teams tactics on your own teams ineptitude. It’s sad

automaticflare

They look like they're feeling the pressure. They've not been at their free-flowing best for a few weeks now and often look scared to lose more than desperate to win. I think City will see it out with their experience and deeper squad.

I'd be fuming if the shoe was on the other foot, us playing them at Anfield and they lost 3 players to injury and kept 1 injured player on the pitch, and we still looked happy with a draw with 10-15 minutes to go. I felt today Liverpool were going to ramp it up and pen us in knowing that our front 3 were not really tracking back. But it never came.
Yes today was the first time I thought that. They looked nervous on the ball and afraid to lose or make a mistake than taking the initiative like they had earlier in the season. Klopp is always a jack ass on the side line but today he really looked overly jumpy and nervous to me. The erratic and jumpy ness on the sideline will transfer onto the pitch

Djemba-Djemba

Liverpool turn up to Old Trafford and shit themselves almost every year.

I thought they were shocking today, especially 2nd half.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Liverpool were abysmal today , I was shitting it at the start but was surprised with how bad they were . Having said that they are top of the league after 27 games and you don't get there over this city team if you aren't very good yourselves. For years we used to mock Liverpool fans saying stuff like this is the worst united team ever and doesn't deserve to win the league and shit . If they win it this year then it would be a huge achievement considering just how hard the competition is from city

Last edited:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool turn up to Old Trafford and shit themselves almost every year.

I thought they were shocking today, especially 2nd half.
We’re similar to Arsenal in that regard.
Lover were abysmal today , I was shitting it at the start but was surprised with how bad they were . Having said that they are top of the league after 27 games and you don't get there over this city team if you aren't very good yourselves. For years we used to mock Liverpool fans saying stuff like this is the worst united team ever and doesn't deserve to win the league and shit . If they win it this year then it would be a huge achievement considering just how hard the competition is from city
Agree all round but I’m not convinced we can go the distance with this City side.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Eh, this seems quite picky insofar as last-minute winners are often regarded as the sign of a mentally strong, determined side who have what it takes to get over the line. Granted, that cliche is a bit tired (sweeping aside an opponent 5-0 is always more impressive than a late 1-0 victory) but still, I recall us having some successive games in, say, 06-07 where we needed late winners to pull through, and in 08-09 there was a period during which we were largely 1-0'ing our way to the title. I'd say City undoubtedly have a more impressive squad overall than Liverpool, but at the same time I struggle to understand these arguments that they're literally a country mile ahead of everyone else. I'd say they certainly win out for squad depth but most of the other big sides in the league can compete with them on their day, and they've not been averse to their own bad patch this season, largely what Liverpool are experiencing now.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Agree all round but I’m not convinced we can go the distance with this City side.
They're favourites but I reckon if you can stay in it until they have the successive Spurs/United games then you've got something of a chance.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
We’re similar to Arsenal in that regard.

Went through your fixtures and I feel like you might need 28-29 points in the last 11 games to win it.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I don't take drugs.

Which part are you disputing?

Specifics, please.
Leicester City were a worse side than this Liverpool one, for sure. They're competing against a seriously good City side who got 100 points last season.

Their points tally is exceptional, I hate them almost as much as you do (probably) and think they're crap to watch recently, but they are a very good side and if they do win it will be no fluke.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
They're a far cry from their football last season. A lot more balanced of course, but so often I've seen them and they just look relatively unthreatening, yet usually managing to stick it in one way or another. Will be annoying if they can't be stopped from winning it like this.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm not getting too excited about them getting pipped to the title just yet, they're still top even if it's only by a slim margin. They're missing squad depth, what they really needed today was a "wow" factor player to come on and change the game but they don't really have one, Shaqiri was that for a while but he seems to have gone off the boil recently.

Their attack isn't as exciting as last season but Klopp's playing a less gung-ho style which has improved their defence massively, 15 goals in 27 games is an incredible feat and they're not where they are by mistake. They do seem a bit gassed, there's just a little spark missing at the moment, Salah is still the leagues top scorer but something's been off with him since the beginning of 2019 and Mane looks like he's having one of his Southampton streaky patches, I've actually not really been impressed with Firmino for most of the season which is odd because I thought he was exceptional last year.

I do think their position is a fair reflection of how good they've been this season although it's hard to deny they've not had their fair share of luck, not just in game but their best players have been ever-present and injury free. They're still favourites although it's close, City have proven to be beatable this season, they're not the unstoppable point guzzling machine they were last year.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
I hate playing at Old Trafford.

All our players were shit barring Allison Van Dijk and Fabinho. Massive massive ask to win it from here given how out of form we’ve been this calendar year. Desperately need Keita Shaqiri or someone to inject a bit of life in to the side going forward.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Thing about Liverpools performance today wasnt just about the complete lack of penetration, it was that after 20 minutes, their "Gangbang Press'" stopped being effective and we just played out from the back around their advancing players. Even Smalling looked comfortable on the ball against them. Once you start doing that and the press become ineffective, you actually have to play on the deck and their midfield is so average that they'll have to rely on individual brilliance.

Their style of football is burning them out. Its not by coincidence they've started dropping points left right and centre since christmas. You cannot play that type of football all year but Kop tries to against every team including the lower league ones.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I'm not getting too excited about them getting pipped to the title just yet, they're still top even if it's only by a slim margin. They're missing squad depth, what they really needed today was a "wow" factor player to come on and change the game but they don't really have one, Shaqiri was that for a while but he seems to have gone off the boil recently.

Their attack isn't as exciting as last season but Klopp's playing a less gung-ho style which has improved their defence massively, 15 goals in 27 games is an incredible feat and they're not where they are by mistake. They do seem a bit gassed, there's just a little spark missing at the moment, Salah is still the leagues top scorer but something's been off with him since the beginning of 2019 and Mane looks like he's having one of his Southampton streaky patches, I've actually not really been impressed with Firmino for most of the season which is odd because I thought he was exceptional last year.

I do think their position is a fair reflection of how good they've been this season although it's hard to deny they've not had their fair share of luck, not just in game but their best players have been ever-present and injury free. They're still favourites although it's close, City have proven to be beatable this season, they're not the unstoppable point guzzling machine they were last year.
They have been lucky with regards to injuries though as the front 3 have been able to play the majority of games . If firmino is out for a while then that could change a lot of things

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Thing about Liverpools performance today wasnt just about the complete lack of penetration, it was that after 20 minutes, their "Gangbang Press'" stopped being effective and we just played out from the back around their advancing players. Even Smalling looked comfortable on the ball against them. Once you start doing that and the press become ineffective, you actually have to play on the deck and their midfield is so average that they'll have to rely on individual brilliance.

Their style of football is burning them out. Its not by coincidence they've started dropping points left right and centre since christmas. You cannot play that type of football all year but Kop tries to against every team including the lower league ones.
I swear this is just a lazy assumption now 'Oh Jurgen Klopp's football burns teams out'.

Most of the occasions I've watched them this season they really haven't played gegenpressing, they're far more pragmatic and the heavy metal football style has been heavily altered for this season, possibly with a long title year in mind from Klopp. They've also had huge periods of rest and were out of the domestic cups early, so haven't been hit with a ton of games or injuries .. I really, really don't fatigue because of a pressing game is the answer to why they've been struggling to break sides down.

Honestly I feel like they're struggling a bit more with finding the balance between pragmatism/that attacking football which swept all aside last season. Sometimes it can be hard for players (especially attacking ones) to adapt to a new system where perhaps they don't feel as comfortable.

iKnowNothing

Was our game their last game against the top 6? I know they play Everton next week but other than that, are all the "big games" done with for the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.