Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah I agree a point before the game would've been counted as a good result but you've to see every result in context and Liverpool should've won yesterday given the three injuries. City certainly would've.

As for the second paragraph - as our former manager would say "I got nothing to say"
I only watched the highlights, so I can't really comment. Maybe that's why I'm a bit happier than most with the point :lol: I did see McTominay starting though, and seeing the injury issues you had, yeah, I've no doubt City would've put you to the sword. They're a much better team than what we are, no doubt about it.

Also, feck all those who were booing during your minutes tribute. I'm all for bans for people like that. Not read any reports of any Munich/Hillsborough chanting from either set of fans, so that's something, at least.

Big Andy

Bloke
Why did their supporters disrespect the one minute silence at the start of the game?
I just can't understand them?
Technically it was a minutes applause. not silence. but it was disrespectful to start singing Liverpool songs through it...

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I only watched the highlights, so I can't really comment. Maybe that's why I'm a bit happier than most with the point :lol: I did see McTominay starting though, and seeing the injury issues you had, yeah, I've no doubt City would've put you to the sword. They're a much better team than what we are, no doubt about it.

Also, feck all those who were booing during your minutes silence. I'm all for bans for people like that. Not read any reports of any Munich/Hillsborough chanting from either set of fans, so that's something, at least.
Can't imagine the highlights package being more than 30 seconds.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Their remaining games

Watford (h)
Everton (a)
Burnley (h)
Bayern (a)
Fulham (a)
Spurs (h)
Southampton (a)
Chelsea (h)
Cardiff (a)
Huddersfield (h)
Newcastle (a)
Wolves (h)

Watford and Everton are certainly winnable, Burnley could be tough if they're still on an unbeaten run and it then depends on what kind of form they're in by Bayern but regardless of that Fulham will be a stroll. It's a nice run in tbh but their form has gone to shit

Ban

By using your logic 4 of our first 11 are injured too. How is Mata a first choice now? Matic, Martial, Herrera and Lingaard are your only first choice injuries, 2 of which played some part of the game.

Some United fans acting like they had to play their reserves. Ole's fault for bringing on Lingaard idiotic move to bring on someone coming back from a hamstring. Your replacements are a 75m striker and a guy who is on the highest wages in the league and you still had a 50m+ midfielder on the bench. Seems Liverpool fans aren't the only ones using coping mechanisms
Phew, seems some of you lot are feeling the heat.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Technically it was a minutes applause. not silence. but it was disrespectful to start singing Liverpool songs through it...
Agree with you and sorry it was a 1 min applause not silence - my mistake.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
Oh wow it was four instead of five then my mistake. As for your team only Gomez missed the match as your first XI.

It's quite shameful that you couldn't even out play our B side but hey ho if you're happy with that then good for you.
And Trent who is not 100% hence why we had to risk Milner vs Rashford. You only had 2 players out Martial and Matic. You had injuries during the game and we had one of our main players injured too (Firminio). Obviously your injuries were worse but we had issues too.

Phew, seems some of you lot are feeling the heat.
We're hardly going to feel relaxed with a brilliant City team chasing us. A draw at United is a decent result. All teams will feel the pressure now it's the business end of the season, when you guys drop to 6th after Chelsea win their game in hand and with your injuries mounting up i'm sure you guys will feel the pressure too.

Ban

And Trent who is not 100% hence why we had to risk Milner vs Rashford. You only had 2 players out Martial and Matic. You had injuries during the game and we had one of our main players injured too (Firminio). Obviously your injuries were worse but we had issues too.

We're hardly going to feel relaxed with a brilliant City team chasing us. A draw at United is a decent result. All teams will feel the pressure now it's the business end of the season, when you guys drop to 6th after Chelsea win their game in hand and with your injuries mounting up i'm sure you guys will feel the pressure too.
:lol:
Cheeky. Some Liverpool fans showing their true colors today.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
This is a disgraceful post. Outrageous accusation for a Liverpool fan to make on a United forum that clamps down on this talk on Liverpool fans behalf.
I agree with you and I'm disappointed that he answered me that way. :(

deadrevelz

They've got a fairly easy run in but hopefully their form will ruin it. Klopp looked like he was having a breakdown in the post match interview, same with Sourness. Liverpool fans are all emotional and most of Liverpools players haven't won major trophies. It's looking good.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He has been on the edge for some time now, he has finally crossed it and spectacularly so.
Yeah, when every post is to take cheap shots at United, it's surprising he lasted so long.

Djemba-Djemba

We were missing Herrera, Martial, Matic, and Lingard. All first team players.

Mata who is first reserve for any injuries also had to go off and Rashford was barely able to move after that cnut Henderson injured him early on.

If the roles were reversed, Liverpool had all those issues and we went to Anfield chasing the title and put in that kind of display I'd be incredibly frustrated. Liverpool have an inferiority complex at Old Trafford.

ShadesofTomato was probably the worst Liverpool poster on here by the way, about time he was banned.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Thought for a while their front 3 have massively gone off the boil. Firmino barely had a good game for months and Salah seems to be back to his early season form. Mane still o.k but not type of forward who can win games on his own.

Thought they were terrible yesterday.

Of course still ahead but remember they would've gone 7 clear if they'd beaten Leicester at home so one point lead is nowhere near enough if they slip up at home to Spurs or Chelsea. Man. City are likely in then.

Vadim

Making false accusations. Goodbye.
Thank you for this. I was staring to wonder what was going on with the Liverpool fans saying what they want and behaving how they want here.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s great having oppo fans. But lately it feels more like a Liverpool forum than a Man Utd one at times.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Good riddance of Shadesofshit. He started out okay but as this season has progressed he has gotten more and more testy, and not in an institutionalized entertaining way like Glaston, just plain shit.

Virror

They are very much a Mourinho team in the end. Solid defensively and then just throw the ball up and hope for some individual brilliance (or a dive) and get the win.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Eh, this seems quite picky insofar as last-minute winners are often regarded as the sign of a mentally strong, determined side who have what it takes to get over the line. Granted, that cliche is a bit tired (sweeping aside an opponent 5-0 is always more impressive than a late 1-0 victory) but still, I recall us having some successive games in, say, 06-07 where we needed late winners to pull through, and in 08-09 there was a period during which we were largely 1-0'ing our way to the title. I'd say City undoubtedly have a more impressive squad overall than Liverpool, but at the same time I struggle to understand these arguments that they're literally a country mile ahead of everyone else. I'd say they certainly win out for squad depth but most of the other big sides in the league can compete with them on their day, and they've not been averse to their own bad patch this season, largely what Liverpool are experiencing now.
If it wasn't for that frankly odd period where City lost 3 games on the spin, they would be clear at the top of the table by a relative distance and this conversation would not be taking place. They are miles ahead of the chasing pack, I don't like to admit it any more than you do but the truth is the truth.

Worse still, given the fact that they can spend ridiculously large sums of money on player acquisitions without breaking a sweat, on a year to year basis I might add, I cannot identify any feasible way in which we can close the huge gap that exists between us.

Thisistheone

By using your logic 4 of our first 11 are injured too. How is Mata a first choice now? Matic, Martial, Herrera and Lingaard are your only first choice injuries, 2 of which played some part of the game.

Some United fans acting like they had to play their reserves. Ole's fault for bringing on Lingaard idiotic move to bring on someone coming back from a hamstring. Your replacements are a 75m striker and a guy who is on the highest wages in the league and you still had a 50m+ midfielder on the bench. Seems Liverpool fans aren't the only ones using coping mechanisms
We were there for the taking and you didn't land a glove on us.

You were shite and have looked bang average since the turn of the year.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Leicester City were a worse side than this Liverpool one, for sure. They're competing against a seriously good City side who got 100 points last season.

Their points tally is exceptional, I hate them almost as much as you do (probably) and think they're crap to watch recently, but they are a very good side and if they do win it will be no fluke.
The Leicester triumph was an anomalous event, though. It was achieved due to the usual suspects - United, City and Chelsea - performing far below their capabilities more than anything else. I don't mean to diminish their monumental achievement in any way but we all know it will never happen again. It was an anomaly.

So discarding Leicester for a moment, can you name a weaker, luckier league title winning team from the last 2 decades than Liverpool - should they do so of course? I'm not the only poster pointing to their good fortune this season as one of the main reasons for their lofty position in the league table. Some of the better resident dippers such as @Tommy and @Klopper76 have reinforced that narrative on numerous occasions over the season, as have you I might add ;)

stepic

their midfield has no creativity and their forward line is off form. not a great recipe for winning a title, that. they're way too reliant on those 3 forwards. have teams worked them out? their defense, weirdly, is now their most solid attribute.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
their midfield has no creativity and their forward line is off form. not a great recipe for winning a title, that. they're way too reliant on those 3 forwards. have teams worked them out? their defense, weirdly, is now their most solid attribute.
I read something on Twitter saying that since the start of the year, only Bournemouth have allowed us to play our pressing game. Everyone else we've played has set out to play in a way that stops us from using a high press and we've been made to look ordinary in the process.

Our defense might have to carry us over the line if we are going to win it.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
If it wasn't for that frankly odd period where City lost 3 games on the spin, they would be clear at the top of the table by a relative distance and this conversation would not be taking place. They are miles ahead of the chasing pack, I don't like to admit it any more than you do but the truth is the truth.

Worse still, given the fact that they can spend ridiculously large sums of money on player acquisitions without breaking a sweat, on a year to year basis I might add, I cannot identify any feasible way in which we can close the huge gap that exists between us.
Well Liverpool have managed to do it and your player spending is hardly a pittance. If your recruitment had not been so poor you would be right up there next to them. I expect United to spend big this summer matching whatever City spends or at least coming very close.

cyberman

I read something on Twitter saying that since the start of the year, only Bournemouth have allowed us to play our pressing game. Everyone else we've played has set out to play in a way that stops us from using a high press and we've been made to look ordinary in the process.

Our defense might have to carry us over the line if we are going to win it.
Liverpools pressing stats were way down before the turn of the year. The truth is you've been playing below par for quite a while but your defence meant one goal was enough to win, it gave you the belief to go for a second and cruise. That goal isn't coming easy enough anymore and you're starting to concede a lot of chances which sends nervous signals throughout your first 11.
If last year didn't happen then you would take this side for what it is, instead we are looking for reasons you're off form rather than admitting that this is it.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
All this doom and gloom in here is premature, given they don’t play City it’s entirely in their hands. But, they are definitely feeling the pressure. City mini meltdown in Christmas made the feeling of them finally winning it very real and it’s showing in their performances.

I don’t see you lasting on this forum beyond May.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
"You had injuries during the game" doesn't even begin describe the gravity of the situation we faced in that first half. Our entire midfield - the engine room where many a footballing battle is won and lost - was ripped up and torn apart before the 30-minute mark. We were forced to replace 2 of our most experienced players with academy products who were nowhere near ready for such a huge occasion. Then Lingard did his hammy again and had to be replaced by a player who is nowhere near his best form, and in the process using up our allotted number of substitutes before the game had barely begun. Which also meant Rashford was unable to come off due to leaving his team down to 10 men, risking further damage to himself.

As said above, we were there for the taking and your lot were not good enough to rise to the occasion.

Just admit it.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The Leicester triumph was an anomalous event, though. It was achieved due to the usual suspects - United, City and Chelsea - performing far below their capabilities more than anything else. I don't mean to diminish their monumental achievement in any way but we all know it will never happen again. It was an anomaly.

So discarding Leicester for a moment, can you name a weaker, luckier league title winning team from the last 2 decades than Liverpool - should they do so of course? I'm not the only poster pointing to their good fortune this season as one of the main reasons for their lofty position in the league table. Some of the better resident dippers such as @Tommy and @Klopper76 have reinforced that narrative on numerous occasions over the season, as have you I might add ;)
Discounting Leicester? Not sure, I don't think either of the league winning Chelsea sides were objectively superior to this Liverpool team. Neither of those sides blew me away, they remained relatively pragmatic at times and achieved point tallies which I expect this Liverpool team to beat. I wouldn't call this Liverpool side 'weak' by any means, they're a very well drilled, defensively disciplined side who (usually) have some serious threat going forward and a midfield which functions well. You don't stay ahead of that City team without being good.

Do I think they have been lucky? Yes, but then I'm biased as it gets. I really don't like Liverpool so in the heat of the moment I might view them as benefiting far more from referee decisions, but if I take a step back and look at the season as a whole I really don't think they're where they because of decisions, I just don't. Every title winning side gets their fair share of fortune (I remember thinking the City side last season constantly seemed to be on the right end of decisions, deflections etc) and that's just the way it goes. Fans perceive their rivals as getting all the favourable decisions/luck, for example people keep referring to us being 'lucky' to have won games in which we totally dominated the match and created far more clear cut chances.

They've definitely had a few dodgy offside decisions go their way, I'll grant you that, but I still remember old title winning teams getting similar decisions .. it's almost always the way. They have only lost the one game all league season, conceding only 15 (!) goals and at some point you have to admit that it's definitely not all just because they're jammy bastards. Klopp has built an effective team there, particularly recently I don't think they're as easy on the eye as they have been and do appear to be slowing down, but still effective nonetheless.

I should add that I don't actually think they'll win the league. For me City are comfortably the best squad and despite a harder run in, I expect their quality to tell with Liverpool wavering a little in recent games. Again though, that City team is unreal and the best the league has seen since Fergie's teams, so for Liverpool even to keep pace with them all season makes them an impressive side.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Well Liverpool have managed to do it and your player spending is hardly a pittance. If your recruitment had not been so poor you would be right up there next to them. I expect United to spend big this summer matching whatever City spends or at least coming very close.
Now tell us something we don't already know.

The reality of the situation is this, Man City possesses the financial means to not only prevent the chasing pack from closing the gap but actually increasing it.

Liverpool is no closer to City now than they were 12 months ago in my opinion.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
"You had injuries during the game" doesn't even begin describe the gravity of the situation we faced in that first half. Our entire midfield - the engine room where many a footballing battle is won and lost - was ripped up and torn apart before the 30-minute mark. We were forced to replace 2 of our most experienced players with academy products who were nowhere near ready for such a huge occasion. Then Lingard did his hammy again and had to be replaced by a player who is nowhere near his best form, and in the process using up our allotted number of substitutes before the game had barely begun. Which also meant Rashford was unable to come off due to leaving his team down to 10 men, risking further damage to himself.

As said above, we were there for the taking and your lot were not good enough to rise to the occasion.

Just admit it.
Can't believe they're trying to argue otherwise.

A point at Old Trafford is generally a good point ... until they're forced in to 3 changes by half time and have to play McTominay/Pereira in midfield with a dysfunctional as feck attack spearheaded by a limping Marcus Rashford. That's when a title winning side should be going for the kill, you'll never have a better opportunity to beat this Manchester United side than they did then, a United side who were already down a key player in Martial before the game even started!

It was an utterly uninspiring performance from Liverpool, and IMO would have been another Napoli away if United had been at full strength. You were able to keep them at bay with total ease, though it does have to be remembered that Firmino was also a significant loss for them, because Sturridge offered zilch, did less running than Rashford. They were able to gain a stranglehold on possession with Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum, but couldn't possibly have done less with it. Total shite.

Josep Dowling

I seriously doubt that if we qualify for the Champions League, the Glazers won't put the money in.

the chameleon

Looks like the true colours of some of these posters are coming out. I do find it bizarre that they rack up 1000s posts on a Man Utd forum before getting banned, anyone remember Barney.

I don’t mind if it’s for a proper football chat and out of mutual respect for rivals (Klopper is a good poster). Then you have trolls like Shades of Tomato who are definite WUMs.

Surely, you would be on RAWK talking about all things Liverpool. I was looking at their Gollum thread and I barely noticed a United fan on there.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

So our first and second choice out with Mata then? Also, it's spelt 'Lingard'.
As for the rest, I've no idea why you're bringing prices into it. Everyone on this forum will tell you we've wasted money in recent years. It's how they play and how often that makes them first choice, not their price.

Status
Not open for further replies.