Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Djemba-Djemba

Can't believe they're trying to argue otherwise.

A point at Old Trafford is generally a good point ... until they're forced in to 3 changes by half time and have to play McTominay/Pereira in midfield with a dysfunctional as feck attack spearheaded by a limping Marcus Rashford. That's when a title winning side should be going for the kill, you'll never have a better opportunity to beat this Manchester United side than they did then, a United side who were already down a key player in Martial before the game even started!

It was an utterly uninspiring performance from Liverpool, and IMO would have been another Napoli away if United had been at full strength. You were able to keep them at bay with total ease, though it does have to be remembered that Firmino was also a significant loss for them, because Sturridge offered zilch, did less running than Rashford. They were able to gain a stranglehold on possession with Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum, but couldn't possibly have done less with it. Total shite.
Two key players down from the start, Martial and Matic.

Yesterday was a huge missed opportunity for Liverpool, I knew idiots like Souness would try and portray it as a great result but I was surprised Carragher was so upbeat.

Roles reversed yesterday i'd have been worried by that performance.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Feeling a bit deflated today. With the way that game went you'd have expected champions elect to boss such a young midfield and force a win. Very underwhelming performance for me.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
All that distance they had and now it's ruined by March...
Thing is we've only really had two 'bad' results. You'd be forgiven for expecting to lose away to City, and drawing against an in form United at Old Trafford isn't the end of the world (despite United's current injury issues). Leicester & West Ham were both disappointing but we still took two points despite not really deserving anything.

City have raised the bar so high that 'bottling' the league has taken on a whole new meaning.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Thing is we've only really had two 'bad' results. You'd be forgiven for expecting to lose away to City, and drawing against an in form United at Old Trafford isn't the end of the world (despite United's current injury issues). Leicester & West Ham were both disappointing but we still took two points despite not really deserving anything.

City have raised the bar so high that 'bottling' the league has taken on a whole new meaning.
Pretty accurate, that. Going all the way but coming up second against this City side is nothing to be ashamed of, although it will be considered as a failure on here.

There's still a long way to go, and I expect the title race to go all the way. I didn't watch the game yesterday but our recent performances have been worrying, no point in denying that. Hopefully it's over soon because if we don't win our next few games City might be out of sight before the end of the season has even really started.

Suedesi

Liverpool just have to be perfect in the remaining matches, and I just don’t see anything that points towards 11 wins. Fine maybe City isn’t perfect, but I don't even see 8 or 9 wins. Just look at the luck Liverpool had to get to this point:
  • Mahrez’s missed penalty
  • Sturridge’s equalizer at Chelsea
  • Origi vs Everton
  • Van Dijk’s strike off the back of a CP defender falling to Salah
  • Speroni’s mishandle
  • Milner’s offside assist against West Ham
Honestly, their defense is keeping this alive, but they are running on fumes as an attacking force.

Now watch City lose two in a row.

montpelier

Quite poor 2nd half & a lack of penetration, which is unusual for them.

Do we know how long 'Bobby' might be out for?

He could keep the MF as a proper 3 & play Shaqiri behind Mane & Cheaty Mo.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

The problem for Liverpool is they've had to show insane amounts of consistency to be where they are, if that's not rewarded with a title then it's a big ask to try and do it all again next year (and not only do it again but likely be better)

I've said before if Liverpool dont win it this year I can see a drop off next season

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool just have to be perfect in the remaining matches, and I just don’t see anything that points towards 11 wins. Fine maybe City isn’t perfect, but I don't even see 8 or 9 wins. Just look at the luck Liverpool had to get to this point:
  • Origi vs Everton
  • Speroni’s mishandle
Honestly, their defense is keeping this alive, but they are running on fumes as an attacking force.

I don't think it's fair to call Sturridge's goal at Chelsea lucky. Deflections are a weird one as well. There's nothing to prevent any other side from benefiting from them so I'd say that's an example of making your own luck.

I'd say we've been lucky on the following occasions:

• Blatant penalty not given to Spurs when 2-1 up in the last minute.
  • Salah's questionable penalty given against Palace.
  • Pickford's mistake.
  • Speroni's performance against us.
  • Mahrez missing a penalty.
  • Mane's goal vs West Ham (Milner offside by a country mile).
  • Robertson not conceding a penalty which should've been given against Watford (0-0 at the time although there's no evidence to suggest we wouldn't have come from behind to win like we did at Burnley).
  • United's injury disaster.
I don't think deflections/incredible strikes count as lucky personally.

Treble

Some Liverpool fans are losing their nerves because they've bought too easily into rawkish delusions and now are utterly scared. Truth is, they still can win it, it's 50-50, maybe even 55-45 Liverpool given City's gruesome fixture list in the last 5-6 weeks of the season.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Anytime a team defends well fans from teams like Liverpool act like it is parking the bus. Extremely irritating trend.
And from a team that has played some shit on a stick football a times with a lot of hoofing.

Stocar

Looking at that xG table, it seems that top teams generally tend to overachieve points wise. Makes sense, considering things like clinical finishing or winning mentality. But it also seems like this season Top 6 are grinding out more wins then they should in general.

Funnily enough, Spurs are overachieving more than Liverpool, and City points total realistically reflects their performances. So it's not like Liverpool are outliers here. They've been fortunate on many occasions, and aren't as good as City, but they've worked hard all season and earned their position at the table.

DonnieDarko

Supports
Liverpool
We should have done better considering your injury crisis. We didn't create anything worth mentioning at all. Really poor.
Both teams had injuries but MU got hit twice harder really.

I still think City will win it. It's in our hands but they are simply a better team. If that happens, reaction will be highly important.

P.S. We miss Ox so much..

cyberman

Is anybody getting sick of the lack of analysis of Liverpools performances?
Very little is said of them, it's always overviews like Carragher saying "I said if they were top of the league by the end of this week..if they win the next three fixtures etc etc. Oh Bayern have to open up at home so its still 50-50..
There's so much to talk about but nothing is being said, as if these under performances doesn't matter since they could play better next week.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
What happens if you guys don't win the league this year and lose against Bayern? Will Mané, Salah, Van Djik want to leave? What about Klopp, do you think he has the heart to stay for another year to try and go again or might he leave with the rest?

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
What happens if you guys don't win the league this year and lose against Bayern? Will Mané, Salah, Van Djik want to leave? What about Klopp, do you think he has the heart to stay for another year to try and go again or might he leave with the rest?
I could see Salah leaving potentially but Klopp seems to enjoy where he is at the moment. FSG are giving him big money to spend as well so it's not like he'd be frustrated due to that.

I do think Salah is more replaceable than someone like Firmino or Van Dijk, and I don't see either of those players leaving in the immediate future. Firmino's an interesting one though. I could see Barcelona being interested in a forward like him, maybe as a Suarez replacement.
Very little is said of them, it's always overviews like Carragher saying "I said if they were top of the league by the end of this week..if they win the next three fixtures etc etc. Oh Bayern have to open up at home so its still 50-50..
There's so much to talk about but nothing is being said, as if these under performances doesn't matter since they could play better next week.
Well ultimately they won't matter if we win the league, and we're top with 11 games to go so it's hardly a disaster.

You'll probably see more analysis of where it went wrong if we don't win anything again.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I could see Salah leaving potentially but Klopp seems to enjoy where he is at the moment. FSG are giving him big money to spend as well so it's not like he'd be frustrated due to that.

I do think Salah is more replaceable than someone like Firmino or Van Dijk, and I don't see either of those players leaving in the immediate future. Firmino's an interesting one though. I could see Barcelona being interested in a forward like him, maybe as a Suarez replacement.

Well ultimately they won't matter if we win the league, and we're top with 11 games to go so it's hardly a disaster.

You'll probably see more analysis of where it went wrong if we don't win anything again.
He'd definitely satisfy the Colgate sponsorship like Suarez did.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

True. I just imagine Klopp potentially could feel a bit deflated if not winning the league after changing his own narrative about being a non spending underdog. He seems to have changed his perspective a bit. He got rid of his assistant and has been a bit more pragmatic in his approach than earlier. I think it is the right choice to try grow and improve as you don't get points for being flashy and you don't win things without those points. I'm sure your fans wont remember the boring frustrating games grinding out lucky wins if you have a trophy to show for it at the end. A boxer gracefully dodging punches makes his face look pretty in the middle of the fight but if he gets knocked out in the end, his face scarred and what he did prior didn't matter.

What about Mané? I think Real Madrid would be interested in a player of his ilk? Would you rather keep him or Salah?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
That is because the only thing Liverpool have is grinding results. The signs were already there and many said that they had to improve their general play or else City would catch them up. The only things you can pin point in Liverpool are Van Dyke winning every header and long balls to Salah/Mane hoping they do some magic. Lack of squad depth, one way of playing, Salah is no longer Messi-lite and has many games where he looks useless.

This type of title challenge only works when there is no competition, because grinding out results for the last 4 months of the season only works when you can see the title at the end. Players lose confidence and motivation when they fight tooth and nail for 1 goal while your rival in the race is slapping teams.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Feeling a bit deflated today. With the way that game went you'd have expected champions elect to boss such a young midfield and force a win. Very underwhelming performance for me.
I can understand that. I would also be worried about Salah’s performance. Probably the Bayern match earlier in the week had them a bit drained.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Liverpool were set-up too defensively without much creativity in midfield. Too pragmatic for a Klopp team. I also think they were too concerned with United's speed on the counter and set-up to negate United than play to their strengths. Liverpool's full-backs who are very attack-minded were self-controlled. I would think they were coached all week to play in a certain way and could not change their game despite Rashford being injured restricting our counters.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Yesterdays game was a glass half full result for them considering the amount of injuries we had,they are unfortunately still picking up points though.
They've drawn 4 of their last 5 games???

cyberman

That is because the only thing Liverpool have is grinding results. The signs were already there and many said that they had to improve their general play or else City would catch them up. The only things you can pin point in Liverpool are Van Dyke winning every header and long balls to Salah/Mane hoping they do some magic. Lack of squad depth, one way of playing, Salah is no longer Messi-lite and has many games where he looks useless.

This type of title challenge only works when there is no competition, because grinding out results for the last 4 months of the season only works when you can see the title at the end. Players lose confidence and motivation when they fight tooth and nail for 1 goal while your rival in the race is slapping teams.
It's just frustrating to watch. Carragher is telling us after West Ham that it would be a good thing if City were ahead in the table to take the pressure off Liverpool, that would suit them to the ground. Blatantly trying to add a silver lining to their poor run of form.
Then it was important for them to make a statement at OT, set up to go to Old fecking Trafford and put the form side in Europe to the sword.
Under perform and now it's being top of the league that counts, how it was so impressive that they held us at arms length. It's really the next three games that counts.
Souness doesn't see a weakness in Liverpools starting 11 pre game, tells us that three midfielder with 6 goals between them is an obvious achiles heel post game.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
True. I just imagine Klopp potentially could feel a bit deflated if not winning the league after changing his own narrative about being a non spending underdog. He seems to have changed his perspective a bit. He got rid of his assistant and has been a bit more pragmatic in his approach than earlier. I think it is the right choice to try grow and improve as you don't get points for being flashy and you don't win things without those points. I'm sure your fans wont remember the boring frustrating games grinding out lucky wins if you have a trophy to show for it at the end. A boxer gracefully dodging punches makes his face look pretty in the middle of the fight but if he gets knocked out in the end, his face scarred and what he did prior didn't matter.

What about Mané? I think Real Madrid would be interested in a player of his ilk? Would you rather keep him or Salah?
I don't think there's much in it between them tbh. Obviously Salah had a phenomenal season last year but that's a one off and he won't reach those heights again. Mane's been a more consistent performer.

It's probably easier to replace Mane but Salah's been blowing hot and cold all season. He doesn't look up for the fight in the big games.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool were set-up too defensively without much creativity in midfield. Too pragmatic for a Klopp team. I also think they were too concerned with United's speed on the counter and set-up to negate United than play to their strengths. Liverpool's full-backs who are very attack-minded were self-controlled. I would think they were coached all week to play in a certain way and could not change their game despite Rashford being injured restricting our counters.
I thought Milner had a tonne of space in the first half but wasted pretty much every opportunity he had to do something with it. That looked like where the space was for us initially from what I remember.

Second half we didn't have a clue how to do anything going forward. Since January we've been too passive and disjointed apart from Bournemouth at Anfield (who're terrible away from home). We need someone who can carry the ball in midfield. City are stacked with players like that annoyingly.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I thought Milner had a tonne of space in the first half but wasted pretty much every opportunity he had to do something with it. That looked like where the space was for us initially from what I remember.

Second half we didn't have a clue how to do anything going forward. Since January we've been too passive and disjointed apart from Bournemouth at Anfield (who're terrible away from home). We need someone who can carry the ball in midfield. City are stacked with players like that annoyingly.
Coutinho would have taken this side to another level.

Member 114837

Klopp has been very defensive in all the big games this year. And I think it is because of the pressure to deliver trophies. There is no other reason to play Milner at right-back when the team has only one recognized right-back in Alexander-Arnold. And Klopp's over-defensiveness will cost him in the end.

He played a midfield of Henderson-Milner-Wijnaldum against PSG and lost. Same midfield against Napoli. A nervy win. Same midfield vs City. Lost and lost momentum. Now this against Bayern and United. Sadly I don't see the 30 year drought ending anytime soon.

Reactions: Sultan

Member 114837

• Origi vs Everton
  • Speroni’s mishandle

Even I don't see it. Another year getting laughed at from Opposition fans. Sigh. :rolleyes:

Defense is down to barebones, just hanging on. And it's on Klopp 100%.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
As long as they're top they'll get that leeway

predator

Youth NITK
I've held the opinion for a good few months that Liverpool won't win the league this season. City will. The funny thing is I think City will drop points in the odd game but I seriously think Liverpool will bottle it and let City win it.
They are under so much pressure to win a league they haven't won for nearly 30 years. They have City, one of the most formidable teams the league has seen, breathing right down their necks, They have a desperate for the league fan base as well as desperate owners. I'm not even willing to argue why I think the above will happen. I just expect it too and I guess we shall wait and see.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Their form is horrendous for the last 9 games for title winners. If they dont win their next league game, I have a feeling their entire season will implode.
I think they'll be fine for the easier home games. It's the away matches and the slightly tricky home ones where they could struggle.

jeolousonesstayenvious

Supports
Liverpool
  • Origi vs Everton
  • Speroni’s mishandle

With all due respect, I disagree that luck was the determining factor, for the dotted points with the exception of the the Milner offside assist. I profoundly don’t believe that luck plays any role in human existence. Now as it pertains to those situations, I believe that competence or incompetence was the overruling factor. The offside assist can be classified as luck, only because the officials were neutrals and their incompetence benefitted Liverpool.

TheLiverBird

The thing with us (Liverpool) is we've gone from one extreme to the other

Last season our front 3 were running wild drunk on goals and creative play being helped from the midfield

This season, its completely flipped, in that the energy is all in the defence, don't get me wrong, we haven't the "perfect" defence, but its the best in this league at the moment, and the midfield are doing a good solid job in aiding the defence.......but that's cost us the link up play to the from 3 which has subdued our attacking prowess.

The front 3 in Mane Salah and Firmino are all hitting similar stats to last season, Firmino is on track to equal last seasons goals and assists, Mané has in fact beaten his goals tally from last season already with 11 games still remaining, and Salah although not hitting last years heights (was he ever going to replicate that good a form?) has still got 17 goals and 7 assists to his name which you'd generally look at in this league and think.....thats so far a cracking season, sitting top of the League scorers chart etc

But the problem is they aren't getting the link up play from Midfield like other seasons, they cannot do it all on their own, and that is pretty much exactly what they are having to do most of the time this season, or it least it feels like that.

The front 3 are doing it, but there's no bridge between them and midfield and its too isolating

breakout67

Supports
Man City
They've only drawn 3 of their last 5 league games.
That's 9 points from their last 5 games, they carry on this form and theyll finish on 84 points!

City got 9 from 5 when they lost 2 in quick succession, no-one was saying they were still picking up points because they were in bad form.

Status
Not open for further replies.