Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Said before the season started that a fully fit Sturridge would be a major asset for us. Could never understand why some fans wanted him out ASAP. Just because he's injury prone doesn't stop him from still being a top class striker. Thing I like about him is that he's not a flat-track bully who can only score against the crap sides. He has the touch of the Robbie Fowler's about him insofar that he can score against any team from pretty much any situation. No Sturridge today then we don't get anything from the game. He may not get too many starts this season, but what a player to bring on when you need something different & something special.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So the 12 goals DDG has conceded this season have all been better efforts than Sturridge's goal today then ? Jesus you lot have been unlucky this season.
Please I was only being half serious

montpelier

If you're being very picky the keeper might be 2-3 feet out of perfect position & then takes a small step the wrong way too I think.

And it's one of them which is whipped across his eyeline too, so difficult to pick up where it's going for a split second or so.

So GK ends up absolutely nowhere near it & Studge has done him over really. It's a ''see if you can stop this'' job innit, really. Never gonna be easy if he catches it right, which he most certainly does. I think on another day it might get saved but not always by any means.

Whiskey Red

Supports
Liverpool
Was very happy with a point in the end. Not many going to turn Chelsea over at home this season , credit to Sarri for such a quick turnaround.

Still think we are yet to really hit form and are well positioned to challenge. That in itself is exciting from a Liverpools fan perspective.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
I've never felt a draw to be as valuable as a win like I did yesterday, I was abolsoute bouncing when Studge smashed that in. We 100% lose that game last season, I won't even debate that. Henderson again shouldn't have started, I can't believe how poor he was. The same for Mane and Salah. I would make changes for the Napoli game and give Sturridge and Shaq a run out in Italy.

Irrational.

Realistically, how far do we reckon Liverpool will go this year? Good enough to win the league?

I reckon a second placed finish in the PL and an FA Cup.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Realistically, how far do we reckon Liverpool will go this year? Good enough to win the league?

I reckon a second placed finish in the PL and an FA Cup.
Second place and a cup run. Fancied United for 2nd before the season started, but given how we're done so far with our front three off-form and a lot of tough away fixtures already done with, maybe we'll be able to push City.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
So, do we move for Ramsey in Jan/next summer & perhaps look to move on Henderson/wind down Milner, or do we not even entertain the idea?

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
So, do we move for Ramsey in Jan/next summer & perhaps look to move on Henderson/wind down Milner, or do we not even entertain the idea?
See him more as a replacement for Lallana maybe? Either way, think it's a move that has a good possibility of happening.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
See him more as a replacement for Lallana maybe? Either way, think it's a move that has a good possibility of happening.
This may sound bad but I completely forgot Lallana existed, like I completely wiped him from my memory! I assume you think that he's done at the very top level? I'm leaning that way. Almost 4 years later I still think we overspent on him, but we should be able to get £15 million back on him.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
This may sound bad but I completely forgot Lallana existed, like I completely wiped him from my memory! I assume you think that he's done at the very top level? I'm leaning that way. Almost 4 years later I still think we overspent on him, but we should be able to get £15 million back on him.
Reckon Lallana was the right player at the wrong time.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
He was one of our most important players before his 17/18 injury and first name on the team sheet...
I guess, he did play a big part in helping us get 4th as well. He improved under Klopp and that injury came at the worst possible time, football is cruel like that sometimes. Let's see how he performs when he's selected.

buck3y3nut

Supports
Liverpool
I guess, he did play a big part in helping us get 4th as well. He improved under Klopp and that injury came at the worst possible time, football is cruel like that sometimes. Let's see how he performs when he's selected.
Honestly don't mind having him as a squad player. £15m will probably not get you a similar level player as a replacement in the current market. He provides a little bit of that offensive spark in the midfield and everytime he's on the pitch, I see him with a positive mindset. Unlike Henderson at the moment who just wants to pass sideways or backwards.
Would be interesting to see how he does perform! But once Oxlade is back in the mix, Lallana will probably be on his way out...

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Honestly don't mind having him as a squad player. £15m will probably not get you a similar level player as a replacement in the current market. He provides a little bit of that offensive spark in the midfield and everytime he's on the pitch, I see him with a positive mindset. Unlike Henderson at the moment who just wants to pass sideways or backwards.
Would be interesting to see how he does perform! But once Oxlade is back in the mix, Lallana will probably be on his way out...
Agreed. If this was the early noughties where things were cheap we could have sent Lallana back down the South coast whilst picking up Ryan Fraser in return.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Turns 31 in May and can't stay fit so I'd say so. We should have sold him last summer.

Butch Cassidy

Supports
Liverpool
Said before the season started that a fully fit Sturridge would be a major asset for us. Could never understand why some fans wanted him out ASAP. Just because he's injury prone doesn't stop him from still being a top class striker.
Well, yeah, it does. I'm as good a player as him when we're both lying on a treatment table. Unfortunately, he hasn't been a top class striker for 4 years because of injuries, and the chances are pretty high it'll prevent him from being a top class striker for a good portion of this season. Super, super player when fit, but that's a rarity and that's why people - understandably - wanted shot. I wasn't too fussed if he'd stayed or went but am obviously pleased he stayed now. Long may it continue, as he brings a lot to a side when he's fit.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Napoli fans shitting themselves over the Liverpool match.
-They claim fullback is their weakest area and it could be a serious problem with Mane and Salah.
-The Juventus match might have broken the team psychologically so this match comes at the wrong time.
-Some even resigned to a loss suggesting Insigne,Hamsik and Callejon be rested so that they can focus on the league, Europa is a respectable trophy.

https://tifosidelnapoli.forumfree.it/m/?t=76032318

redman5

The last time we played Napoli away in a competitive match was nearly 8 years ago in the Europa League under the brief leadership of Hodgson. This was the team for that match :nervous:

Pepe Reina

Paul Konchesky

Jamie Carragher

Martin Kelly

Martin Skrtel

Ryan Babel

Jay Spearing

Christian Poulsen

Jonjo Shelvey

Milan Jovanovic

David N'Gog

Subs : Brad Jones - Fabio Aurelio - Sotirios Kyrgiakos - Danny Wilson - Joe Cole - Maxi Rodriguez - Nathan Eccleston

I'd settle for a similar result (0-0). But that team, WOW. No wonder we were in the relegation zone a couple of months later.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
The last time we played Napoli away in a competitive match was nearly 8 years ago in the Europa League under the brief leadership of Hodgson. This was the team for that match :nervous:

Pepe Reina

Paul Konchesky

Jamie Carragher

Martin Kelly

Martin Skrtel

Ryan Babel

Jay Spearing

Christian Poulsen

Jonjo Shelvey

Milan Jovanovic

David N'Gog

Subs : Brad Jones - Fabio Aurelio - Sotirios Kyrgiakos - Danny Wilson - Joe Cole - Maxi Rodriguez - Nathan Eccleston

I'd settle for a similar result (0-0). But that team, WOW. No wonder we were in the relegation zone a couple of months later.
Didn't Gerrard score a hattrick in the home game or was that another tie? Shocking team tbf yeah, that'd be a bang average midtable team in the league right now.

A draw wouldn't be the worst result but I think we can do them as well. Would be fine if Klopp plays a bit conservative for a point given we've got a huge, (must-win imo) game this weekend.

redman5

Didn't Gerrard score a hattrick in the home game or was that another tie? Shocking team tbf yeah, that'd be a bang average midtable team in the league right now.

A draw wouldn't be the worst result but I think we can do them as well. Would be fine if Klopp plays a bit conservative for a point given we've got a huge, (must-win imo) game this weekend.
Yeah he came off the bench just after half time when we were 1-0 down & scored 3 goals in the final 15 minutes. The starting line-up was pretty similar to the away leg too. When it comes to lack of quality, I'm struggling to think of any Liverpool squads in the past that was as poor as that. A million miles away from where we are now thank God.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah he came off the bench just after half time when we were 1-0 down & scored 3 goals in the final 15 minutes. The starting line-up was pretty similar to the away leg too. When it comes to lack of quality, I'm struggling to think of any Liverpool squads in the past that was as poor as that. A million miles away from where we are now thank God.
A million miles away from where we were two years prior to that as well. Crazy how quickly squads and results can change

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

Pepe Reina

Paul Konchesky

Jamie Carragher

Martin Kelly

Martin Skrtel

Ryan Babel

Jay Spearing

Christian Poulsen

Jonjo Shelvey

Milan Jovanovic

David N'Gog

Geez you guys have come far

Treble

Pepe Reina

Paul Konchesky

Jamie Carragher

Martin Kelly

Martin Skrtel

Ryan Babel

Jay Spearing

Christian Poulsen

Jonjo Shelvey

Milan Jovanovic

David N'Gog

Your first XI vs United away that year:

It's much better than that against Napoli.

Edit: Half of those players could start for your current team. They'd look much better under Klopp.

Last edited:

redman5

Edit: Half of those players could start for your current team. They'd look much better under Klopp.
Torres was a liability that season (or should I say half a season) & spent most of it sulking because he wanted away. He got his wish when Chelsea stumped up £50 million for him in January. Which players exactly do you feel could replace those we already have as starters ?

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool

Glen Johnson in his prime yes
Steven Gerrard Yeah
Torres - prime yeah

Maxi Reina Meireles Agger all have the quality to start but I don’t think they’d displace anyone in their respective positions.

Treble

Torres was a liability that season (or should I say half a season) & spent most of it sulking because he wanted away. He got his wish when Chelsea stumped up £50 million for him in January. Which players exactly do you feel could replace those we already have as starters ?
I'd say that one of the CBs can easily start for you even though you are happy with James. Meireiles and Maxi are no worse than Milner and Gini ability wise. Torres was Torres. He was a better striker than Firmino will ever be. Reina was a top 5 keeper in the world at that time.

Basically, if both sides are managed by Klopp, I'm not sure that your current version will be much better. The progress is mostly about Klopp, not the players.

Treble

Glen Johnson in his prime yes
Steven Gerrard Yeah
Torres - prime yeah

Maxi Reina Meireles Agger all have the quality to start but I don’t think they’d displace anyone in their respective positions.
That's because they played for a much worse Liverpool team. Had they played under Klopp, they wouldn't be any worse than your current midfielders, maybe they would be better as I think that they had more talent on the ball.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
That's because they played for a much worse Liverpool team. Had they played under Klopp, they wouldn't be any worse than your current midfielders, maybe they would be better as I think that they had more talent on the ball.
Meireles was underrated but Maxi was more of a floating winger, extremely intelligent player. He could probably do a job for us. But yeah apart from Gerrard Meireles is the only one.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Reina at that point was just starting to decline for us 2011-2013 culminating in his departure. Maxi and Gini are similar but Gini has the engine and power to play midfield whereas Maxi would need a better balance alongside him to play there. Carragher wouldn’t start for us either at that point, Agger though was top quality, CB version of Sturridge. Which brings me again to my point Meireles is the only one in the midfield not named Gerrard.

CognitiveNeuro

Glen Johnson would start over Arnold.
Carragher would start of Gomez (inb4 Gomez can play football and has pace. Carragher is a much better defender and leader than Gomez. Klopp might sacrifice playing style a little for this.)
Gerrard would start over anyone in midfield.
Torres. Maybe he might start over Firmino but he might not be a Klopp player.

I'd say 3, at most 4 would start.

redman5

Glen Johnson would start over Arnold.
Carragher would start of Gomez (inb4 Gomez can play football and has pace. Carragher is a much better defender and leader than Gomez. Klopp might sacrifice playing style a little for this.)
Gerrard would start over anyone in midfield.
Torres. Maybe he might start over Firmino but he might not be a Klopp player.

I'd say 3, at most 4 would start.
Carragher would have been around about 33 back then. Even in his prime he was never blessed with great pace. Seeing as how Klopp likes his centre-backs to be quick so we can play play a higher back line I seriously doubt Jamie - as good as he was - would have been given the nod over a younger, bigger, faster player, who also probably uses the ball better. & I think you're right about Torres. Bobby Firmino does an awful lot of work in relation to pressing the opposition. Not something you'd associate with the Spaniard.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Always forget Ryan Babel played for Liverpool which is surreal to me.

However, it's not 5% as surreal as the fact that Alexander Buttner played for United. Saw him play Feyenoord this week, he's such a shite player and such an absolute piece of scum.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool

However, it's not 5% as surreal as the fact that Alexander Buttner played for United. Saw him play Feyenoord this week, he's such a shite player and such an absolute piece of scum.
Only memory I have of Buttner is him scoring a wonder goal once, I remember reading back then a few posters thought he could displace an ageing Evra

Rob

Supports
Liverpool

Why's he a piece of scum?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Why's he a piece of scum?
Comes across as such in interviews, acts like it during matches. He's your typical street rat. Grew up in a notorious neighbourhood and ats like it. He was huge news all of a sudden when United inexplicably signed him and faded equally fast after that.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Comes across as such in interviews, acts like it during matches. He's your typical street rat. Grew up in a notorious neighbourhood and ats like it. He was huge news all of a sudden when United inexplicably signed him and faded equally fast after that.
Not a fan, I take it:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.