Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
All four of our summer signings started against Bournemouth as well. Good sign.

Pav1878

I dislike City almost as much as Liverpool, to be honest, but I don't consider their recent success to be relevant due to the manner in which they acquired it (which is the case for many football fans).

The same cannot be said of Liverpool, unfortunately. Should they go on to win the league this year (they won't) we would never hear the end of it.
Hahaha so true

Liverpool are by far the worst of two evils.

Josh 76

Tbf, thought City more than matched the scousers at Anfield in the league.

I think City are a better team, but the Scousers seem to have everything going in their favour, latest example being last week v Everton.

Could come down to squad depth & luck with injuries ultimately; we know City have incredible squad depth that the scousers just cannot match.
When you say City have a stronger squad than Liverpool, I don't agree.
VVD. Matip. Lovern. Gomez. (CD)
Arnold. Milner. Gomez. Robinson. Clyne. Moreno. Ox (full backs)
Keita. Fabino. Milner. Henderson. Wynaldam. Ox. (Cm)
Frimino. Salah. Mane. Shaquri. Lalana. Sturidge. (Forwards)
If that is not a squad in depth , I don't know what is .
There are no real excuses for Liverpool really.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
When you say City have a stronger squad than Liverpool, I don't agree.
VVD. Matip. Lovern. Gomez. (CD)
Arnold. Milner. Gomez. Robinson. Clyne. Moreno. Ox (full backs)
Keita. Fabino. Milner. Henderson. Wynaldam. Ox. (Cm)
Frimino. Salah. Mane. Shaquri. Lalana. Sturidge. (Forwards)
If that is not a squad in depth , I don't know what is .
There are no real excuses for Liverpool really.
Their squad/first XI is equal on paper with Chelsea's. Hell, I'd even argue that it's barely stronger than yours. City's is on a whole different level...

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Liverpool are Playing Utd, Arsenal and City during the next 5 league games, also an away trip to wolves and homecoming for Rafa with Newcastle mixed in. They also have the crucial game in the CL against Napoli to start the run off, they'll be European officials in that game too who hopefully understand offside...

Make or break time of the season. If they're still on top after all those games I think we could say they're in with a title shot. Us (Chelsea) and City (prior to playing Pool) don't have a game against any of the top 6 in the period, which should hopefully make things interesting as if we play to our potential should be picking up near maximum points.

Orient Express

Supports
Leyton Orient
People have been drooling over city and they're undefeated record etc all season, most made it a foregone conclusion that the title was theirs.

Liverpool whilst not playing well are now top having also played Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal away etc

The defensive turnaround is pretty mind boggling.

They were still a laughing stock defensively this time last season.

Combination of world class CD and GK + 3 upcoming young players in defence (Trent/Gomez/AR), and they honestly do have a base to build a title winning side on this season.

BUT - all this talk of city and money = absolutely true. What's to say they won't splash big in January again...

City are still favourites.

Mick321

Liverpool are Playing Utd, Arsenal and City during the next 5 league games, also an away trip to wolves and homecoming for Rafa with Newcastle mixed in. They also have the crucial game in the CL against Napoli to start the run off, they'll be European officials in that game too who hopefully understand offside...

Make or break time of the season. If they're still on top after all those games I think we could say they're in with a title shot. Us (Chelsea) and City (prior to playing Pool) don't have a game against any of the top 6 in the period, which should hopefully make things interesting as if we play to our potential should be picking up near maximum points.
:D I like how you put Chelsea in there as if you have any hope whatsoever of winning the league.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Weekends like this are what give you a little hope. But i'm not getting carried away. If we beat United I might just...Our last 2 title bids involved beating UTD home and away.

Josh 76

Their squad/first XI is equal on paper with Chelsea's. Hell, I'd even argue that it's barely stronger than yours. City's is on a whole different level...
You are never going to get 22 world class squad players. You have your 15 players which you don't mind seeing in your first 11, then the rest make up as solid reliable back up players to cover injuries, rested players and games against "smaller teams". Even Utds treble wining squad had weaknesses. There were the 11 starters, then we had Sherigham, Ole, Butt, Jesper, Phil Nev, Berg, May.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Weekends like this are what give you a little hope. But i'm not getting carried away. If we beat United I might just...Our last 2 title bids involved beating UTD home and away.
Yeah. I'm not celebrating being top per se. But being a point up going into some tough fixtures. A 1 point lead could quickly become an 8 point deficit within a matter of days. Because City lost we can just about afford a draw with Utd. But a win would be something else and make City really cack their britches.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah. I'm not celebrating being top per se. But being a point up going into some tough fixtures. A 1 point lead could quickly become an 8 point deficit within a matter of days. Because City lost we can just about afford a draw with Utd. But a win would be something else and make City really cack their britches.
yup, and it actually gives the team even an ounce of believe that it can be done, not having to chase a team that doesnt drop points at all. I think that really affected UTD's title bid last season, thankfully we'd kept up with City till now.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
You are never going to get 22 world class squad players. You have your 15 players which you don't mind seeing in your first 11, then the rest make up as solid reliable back up players to cover injuries, rested players and games against "smaller teams". Even Utds treble wining squad had weaknesses. There were the 11 starters, then we had Sherigham, Ole, Butt, Jesper, Phil Nev, Berg, May.
Of course, but City's squad players are much, much better than Liverpool's (and other teams in the league). If both managers were to choose a first XI from both squads, only VVD and Salah would certainly make it for Liverpool, whereas Agüero, KDB, Silva, Fernandinho, Walker, Laporte would for City. If one of Pool's attackers were injured/rested, they have Shaquiri and Sturridge as their go-to options, whereas City has one of the Silvas/Sané/Jesus/Foden. Assuming Keita and Fabinho were to find some form later in this season, Pool would have Milner/Henderson/Shaq as their midfield options, whereas City has Gündogan/one of the Silvas/Foden/Danilo. As for center backs, Otamendi/Kompany are certainly better options than Lovren/Matip.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
It's strange how we only seem to come good (league wise) in cycles of every 5 years. 2009, 2014, & now (assuming it all doesn't go tits-up) 2019. We lost out to both Manchester clubs in our last 2 title challenges. Please let it be 3rd time lucky.

Josh 76

Of course, but City's squad players are much, much better than Liverpool's (and other teams in the league). If both managers were to choose a first XI from both squads, only VVD and Salah would certainly make it for Liverpool, whereas Agüero, KDB, Silva, Fernandinho, Walker, Laporte would for City. If one of Pool's attackers were injured/rested, they have Shaquiri and Sturridge as their go-to options, whereas City has one of the Silvas/Sané/Jesus/Foden. Assuming Keita and Fabinho were to find some form later in this season, Pool would have Milner/Henderson/Shaq as their midfield options, whereas City has Gündogan/one of the Silvas/Foden/Danilo. As for center backs, Otamendi/Kompany are certainly better options than Lovren/Matip.
It's all about opinions. I'm sure if you ask Liverpool fans, they wouldn't swap there back 5 and front 3 with any of City players. (When in form).

Having also bigged up City's squad, they definitely missed Augero yesterday.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
It's all about opinions. I'm sure if you ask Liverpool fans, they wouldn't swap there back 5 and front 3 with any of City players. (When in form).

I would take an in form Aguero, Walker and Laporte, please.. And their entire midfield on top of it.

Josh 76

I would take an in form Aguero, Walker and Laporte, please.. And their entire midfield on top of it.
Laporte over Gomez, Walker over Trent. ? Would that really improve your defence? You have conceded less goals than City , but would swap two of your defenders with theirs ?
Maybe I'm missing something

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Laporte over Gomez, Walker over Robinson. ? Would that really improve your defence? You have conceded less goals than City , but would swap two of your defenders with theirs ?
Maybe I'm missing something
Yes. Laporte over Gomez, although i like Gomez a lot. I firmly believe van Dijk is a big part of Gomez' progress. Walker over Alexander Arnold at right back.

Josh 76

Yes. Laporte over Gomez, although i like Gomez a lot. I firmly believe van Dijk is a big part of Gomez' progress. Walker over Alexander Arnold at right back.
Any Liverpool fans agree with this ?

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
You should be asking neutrals which players they'd rather pick :D. Fans tend to be biased to their own players, even though I'd think to say that even most of the Liverpool supporter fanbase would agree that, based on their current individual ability, Laporte/Walker are both better than Gomez/TAA, Agüero better than Firmino, and Fernandinho/KDB/both Silvas (maybe even Gündogan) are better than any of the Liverpool midfielders (maybe Keita can get on the same level when he gets some kind of form later in the season). I'd personally even pick Sterling ahead of Mané, whereas for the other positions, it's 50/50.

marktan

You should be asking neutrals which players they'd rather pick :D. Fans tend to be biased to their own players, even though I'd think to say that even most of the Liverpool supporter fanbase would agree that, based on their current individual ability, Laporte/Walker are both better than Gomez/TAA, Agüero better than Firmino, and Fernandinho/KDB/both Silvas (maybe even Gündogan) are better than any of the Liverpool midfielders (maybe Keita can get on the same level when he gets some kind of form later in the season). I'd personally even pick Sterling ahead of Mané, whereas for the other positions, it's 50/50.
For me I'd have Walker over TAA, but I'd have Gomez over Laporte. Gomez has been very, very good this season and he looks like a natural defender and on the ball.
Aguero / Firmino is a 50/50 but I'd personally take Firmino for work rate. Midfield is City's. Wide forwards is a 50/50 for me, I'd take any of Sterling / Mane / Salah.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
For me I'd have Walker over TAA, but I'd have Gomez over Laporte. Gomez has been very, very good this season and he looks like a natural defender and on the ball.
Aguero / Firmino is a 50/50 but I'd personally take Firmino for work rate. Midfield is City's. Wide forwards is a 50/50 for me, I'd take any of Sterling / Mane / Salah.
Gomez has been excellent, no doubt about that, and I think he has it in him to become a top-drawer center back. But he has only been playing on that level this season, and Laporte has arguably been City's best defender and his ability on the ball surpasses Gomez by quite a bit (comparable to VVD). Even his performances this season are better than Gomez in every aspect, IMHO. Firmino is also a top striker, but Agüero has been world-class and a game-changer for years. Paired with the fact that Klopp always has had a strong tendency to make players look much, much better in his system than anywhere else (pretty much his whole Dortmund team), I am inclined to think that they are much more than the sum of their parts and individual abilities currently.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Gomez has been excellent, no doubt about that, and I think he has it in him to become a top-drawer center back. But he has only been playing on that level this season, and Laporte has arguably been City's best defender and his ability on the ball surpasses Gomez by quite a bit (comparable to VVD). Even his performances this season are better than Gomez in every aspect, IMHO. Firmino is also a top striker, but Agüero has been world-class and a game-changer for years. Paired with the fact that Klopp always has had a strong tendency to make players look much, much better in his system than anywhere else (pretty much his whole Dortmund team), I am inclined to think that they are much more than the sum of their parts and individual abilities currently.
I think the same. See Klopp leave, see this Liverpool team collapse. Thing is I don't think he's leaving for at least 4 seasons.

Congus

Supports
Liverpool
Gomez over Laporte. Walker over TAA.

Robertson over Mendy/Danilo/Delph
Allison over Ederson.

At th moment, all City CM are a little better than us. I think Fabinho will be huge for us. Such a clever player. We will see what he's all about in the next few months.

Front 3, that's a hard one. I think it can go either way with Sane Aguero Sterling vs Mane Firmino Salah.

Congus

Supports
Liverpool
Are you saying Laporte ability on ball is comparable to VVD or Gomez is comparable to VVD?

I actually think Gomez on the ball is better than VVD. He dribbles out of defence well. Maybe VVD a bit better with his Hollywood balls.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
No. Walker is a liability and sticks out as the least talented brother of the family at City. The one everyone else has to support.

Laporte yes I would have over Gomez. Like Halds said Laporte has at times single handedly kept City defence in order.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Like I said before you seem to have an over inflated opinion on all things Liverpool.

Most people would pick 7/8 City players in a combined 11. And City's squad strength has an even greater superiority.

Holocene

Allison over Ederson.

At th moment, all City CM are a little better than us. I think Fabinho will be huge for us. Such a clever player. We will see what he's all about in the next few months.

Front 3, that's a hard one. I think it can go either way with Sane Aguero Sterling vs Mane Firmino Salah.
Laporte is better than Gomez. He's been so impressive this season. Comfortably City's best defender. Gomez has a bright future though. Aguero is better than your front three.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Like I said before you seem to have an over inflated opinion on all things Liverpool.

Most people would pick 7/8 City players in a combined 11. And City's squad strength has an even greater superiority.
Alisson
TAA Laporte VvD Robertson
KdB Fernandinho Silva
Salah Aguero Sterling

It's pretty even. The goalie swings it.

Member 114837

I think the same. See Klopp leave, see this Liverpool team collapse. Thing is I don't think he's leaving for at least 4 seasons.
So Liverpool hierarchy is dumb enough that they won't plan life after Klopp. Michael Edwards is doing a fantastic job as the director and His acumen in the transfer market tells me that Liverpool is in good hands. FSG group have also matured as owners.

Not everybody is Manchester united in terms of planning, you know?

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
I don't think his team would collapse immediately. He has built a great young squad and if he left next season, the following manager would be able to work with most players coming into their peak years. And it's not like they'd immediately forget what they've been taught the last years. Same if Pep left next season. The breaking point would be in 4-5 years, when their key players are getting old/being bought by Barca/Real.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.

Allison over Ederson.

I agree with pretty much everything you’ve said there but Gomez over Laporte is a bit silly.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
All of City's midfield would start for us. But thats no suprise as they are doped up. I'm talking Fernandino and Silva especially. How can you get fitter as you get to your mid thirties? Defies all logic.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
He does? Even as a Liverpool fan you're picking 6 City players.
It's not even about the number of players picked IMO. It's about that the Liverpool picks are, bar VVD and maybe Salah, 50/50 picks and barely any difference in individual quality between them and their City counterparts, whereas their midfield and squad depth are classes apart.

Last edited:

automaticflare

I would never have walker I think he is a very poor defender in a super side where he rarely has to defend.
TAA is still only a kid so I can’t say he is better than walker but right now I would trust him more defensively. He still has plenty of time in his career to make mistakes.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Laporte is better than gomez probably, but gomez has been so good he is still in "it would make no sense to swap him" territory. Still, we're comparing city's best centreback with our second best. Van dijk is better than Laporte and gomez better than stones. And Alisson and Robertson high five their way ahead of their competition too.

Walker is better than TAA though. And all their midfielders take a clean sweep

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I meant the goalie swings it to the point you were trying to make for 7/8 players.
Ah. But I think most neutrals would go for Walker. Even a fit a Mendy would make a strong case. Whereas the ones Liverpool win, barring Salah and VVD, are close as well unlikely City's midfield which on a different planet. And City's squad is stronger too.

But right now you are top so there's that.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Alisson
TAA Laporte VvD Robertson
KdB Fernandinho Silva
Salah Aguero Sterling

It's pretty even. The goalie swings it.
Right now I'd take City's midfield. Could be saying something different after a few months of Fabinho/Keita though.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I’d probably go: Alisson; Walker, Laporte, Van Dijk, Robertson; Fernandinho, De Bruyne, D. Silva; Salah, Aguero, Sterling.

Mane and Firmino aren’t at last seasons levels and none of our midfield is on par with City’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.