Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rouge McDuck

Supports
Liverpool
Anybody making calls on the title is out of their mind. We have to take on Newcastle and then away to City. Plenty of swings and roundabouts yet.

Giethewill

Supports
Liverpool
People really need to calm down. Liverpool are 4 points ahead, but I still think City can close the gap. Let's wait and see when we are 7 points ahead of City, then United fans can panic a bit. With 20 games to go I'm just enjoying the ride because as a 'Pool fan I've been here before and I'm not getting carried away, so can you lot all relax and enjoy this title race

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
i think for pep stand-point this is huge. of all the teams to lose to he loses to a strugling palace. that will hurt.

Cristiano Arrogantaldo

Supports
Real Madrid
Liverpool vs Arsenal isn't a given either. If they win all their games up to January 3rd and then avoid defeat against City then they are firmly in the driving seat. If they win then it's their to lose. The recent blips from City mean that now it's a must win game for City and most likely the game will be much different from the 0-0 game we saw between them at Anfield. City fans might even be cheering United when United play Liverpool at OT

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
People really need to calm down. Liverpool are 4 points ahead, but I still think City can close the gap. Let's wait and see when we are 7 points ahead of City, then United fans can panic a bit. With 20 games to go I'm just enjoying the ride because as a 'Pool fan I've been here before and I'm not getting carried away, so can you lot all relax and enjoy this title race
What, top of the league with 48 points from 18 games ? I must have missed that one.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I was 7 when Liverpool last won the league so fair to say, I don't remember it happening.
Since I started watching football properly, I've had hope that we can end our elusive wait and I dared to dream in 2014 but there was always a nagging doubt about the games in hand that City had over us and the Mourinho factor as well.
This is the first time that I have had genuine belief that we can actually win the Premier League. We have weaknesses and will no doubt drop points from here on in but we are looking solid at both ends and have a well functioning midfield, not too mention a competent (brilliant) goal keeper.
There's a long way to go but I believe we can win this league whereas before, it was just hope. We may fall short but the second half of the season is going to be a hell of a ride

Butch Cassidy

Supports
Liverpool
City's depth will ultimately see them home. Surprised by their result today, though.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Just saw this on facebook, thought it was funny. :lol:

Liverpool top of the Premier League by four points at Christmas.

Only two teams in the last 10 years have failed to win the trophy when they have been top at Christmas:

2008/09: Liverpool
2013/14: Liverpool

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I hope you’re right. But City just seem like this indestructible force and can essentially line up with two teams both capable of competing for the title, where as we are in deep trouble when van Dijk/Salah/Mane gets injured. Of course our relative luck regarding injuries could continue.

It’ll certainly be interesting on January 3rd.
Man. City now down to 104 points after today's shock loss. They'll finish on less points than last season so big chance for Liverpool.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Liverpool fans are understandably nervous and cautious about their title chances after past experiences, but right now the title is theirs to lose. They are playing brilliant, effective football. Without doubt I absolutely fancy them to win the PL, and that would be good for English football because they deserve it after all the hard work and brilliant Klopp effect, unlike the oil money clubs.

Treble

City will regain form at some point as D. Silva and Fernandinho will come back but it might be too late. They've coped well without KDB but the damage from his absence is starting to hit them now as the other midfielders were overplayed. The most promising thing for Liverpool is not the result today but the performance. It was really poor.

Josh 76

This with me as well - there’s a predictions thread somewhere in this forum where I put them down as winners and I’ve seen nothing to doubt that prediction.

I don’t think this City side have the stomach for an actual title fight - they breezed through last season with zero pressure from anyone, now they’ve got a challenger that just won’t feck-off and City are actually behind. I think Liverpool’s mentality under Klopp is greater than that of City under Pep - that might be the difference.
Totally agree with this. Liverpool seem to be much more solid. City seem to lose concentration in matched
City's depth will ultimately see them home. Surprised by their result today, though.
What strength in debt do City have that people keep talking about ?
Their 1st midfield
D Silva Ferdindio Debryne
Their second midfield
Delph Gundlegon B Silva
When was the last time either of the reserve midfielders were man of the match ? They are all 6 or 7 out of 10s.

First Attacking
Sane Augero Sterling
Second attacking
Mahrez Jeuses Foden
The latter three have a good game when they are all wining, but when it matters , do they actually deliver ?

Defence
Apart from Laporte , every other defender has a mistake in them.
Who's their First choice left back? Never mind their second choice.

I've said this numerous time in this forum, Liverpool will win this league comfortably. Also I said a few weeks ago the gap will start getting bigger once Liverpool go top, because city don't have the bottle when they are chasing.

I can see City dropping points in either of their next two fixtures , with Liverpool going to Ethihad with a 6 or 7 point gap. Then we will see what the "the best ever manager in the history of the game" is made of.

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
So in 8 out of the last 10 years every team that has been top at Christmas has gone on to win the league. On the two occasions that it didn't happen it was Liverpool both times.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
They are winning the league this year :(
Looking that way, their defence is what's always let them down in title challenging years and it would take an injury to Van Dijk for that to happen this year

No team has retained the PL since us
City have never retained a trophy in their history and for as dominate as they were last year I question their mentality when they're the chasing team

ashfritz

Supports
Liverpool
I know its wrong to say this during a trophy drought, but I'm relieved we got knocked out of the League Cup so soon. I think part of that might have affected Citeh's performance against Palace, playing so soon after a tough game at Leicester. Good thing they have a 2 legged semi-final and probably a final to keep them nice and fatigued.

untitled_6899

Liverpool have the more stable and reliable defence than City.

Even when City were easily beating teams they never kept a clean sheet (against us, Everton, Watford, Bournemouth was etc). You can usually get a goal against them.

This doesn’t happen with Liverpool, it’s theirs to lose.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Listen Liverpool have come close and have knocked on that title door and have really built themselves up they will end up pushing that door down and it sucks to know that but the sad truth is Liverpool are winning the title sooner rather then later and as of right now they are getting that "champions luck" a tad too often. Pickford howler and Mahrez missed penalty vs them come to mind first.

Their is one positive though.... If there is anyone who can choke and let it slip...its Liverpool.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Just saw this on facebook, thought it was funny. :lol:

Liverpool top of the Premier League by four points at Christmas.

Only two teams in the last 10 years have failed to win the trophy when they have been top at Christmas:

2008/09: Liverpool
2013/14: Liverpool
United were top at Christmas in 1997 & had a 10 point lead over Arsenal but still managed to let it slip. 6 years later they were top again at Christmas but Arsenal yet again ended up winning the league. So what exactly is your point ? Teams that are top at Christmas more often than not end up winning the league. But there are occasions that they don't. What's the big deal ?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
United were top at Christmas in 1997 & had a 10 point lead over Arsenal but still managed to let it slip. 6 years later they were top again at Christmas but Arsenal yet again ended up winning the league. So what exactly is your point ? Teams that are top at Christmas more often than not end up winning the league. But there are occasions that they don't. What's the big deal ?
Don't ruin my fun! 97 isn't last ten years though.
And also, i wrote that i found it on facebook, so it's not my point at all, just assumed it was correct, because i liked it.

Treble

Liverpool have the more stable and reliable defence than City.

Even when City were easily beating teams they never kept a clean sheet (against us, Everton, Watford, Bournemouth was etc). You can usually get a goal against them.

This doesn’t happen with Liverpool, it’s theirs to lose.
City were excellent in defence just 5-6 games ago. Remember they didn't concede a goal against Arsenal away, Liverpool away and Spurs away. Liverpool didn't create a decent chance all game.

City's problems came from injuries, poor form of some of the squad players (e.g. Otamendi, Delph) and bad luck. People try to rationalise the outcomes of games and make them look perfectly logical. Truth is Liverpool have been luckier with referee decisions and injuries to key players. City's best player hasn't started a league game this season. Imagine Liverpool without one of Alisson, VVD and Salah for half a season.

I think Liverpool are favourites now mostly because City have lost a bit of form and may not regain it soon enough. Fair play to them for being good enough to capitalise on City's problems.

Snash93

Supports
Liverpool
A very long way to go and City have a greater squad depth. If we have a points gap of 7-10 points by the time the Chanpions League return, only then would I feel a bit more comfortable as I reckon City will put all their eggs in one basket to try and win the Champions League

Strachans Cigar

15-3-0 record is title winning form, simple as. Keep that up & nobody can begrudge them.

Sure, they have had luck, but they are getting the shots away (Sturridge’s late equaliser v Chelsea, Pickford’s Howler) so you make your own luck to a degree.

Fortunate for us who don’t want them to do it that you have City doing what they are doing at the same time.

Must be up there with the best top flight starts ever?

Liverpool fans being publically cautious which is understandable, but they aren’t fooling me. This looks a better balanced team than in 2013/14 & they all know it. They’re just not going public with any bullishness in case of yet another banana skin job.

...and it’s true, nothing is in the bag yet. Far from it. City are having their blip now, will LFC have one? Or some critical injuries?

Still some tough fixtures left & I’m sure we may give them more of a test at home than we did at Anfield for instance...

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Good point.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
We're moving closer to the point where we're considered favourites to win it, and we have momentum right now, but I wouldn't go that far yet. We look good though, tight at the back and some good firepower up front, especially now that Salah has found form again. Right now it's a 50/50 for me.

City still has the better squad options. As others have pointed out, an injury to Salah, Alisson, or even worse, van Dijk, could be catastrophic for our title challenge. City are not that dependent on individual players.

How both clubs will handle the next couple of games will be interesting and raises a few questions. Will City bounce back immediately and continue blowing teams away or will their blip continue? Can we handle the pressure now that the title looks a real possibility and now that we can't hide behind that fantastic City team anymore?

Last edited:

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
city has a tough game away to leicester tomorrow.... who will be uplifted after that win against chelsea

so this is a bad game for city to get back to winning ways. could be a draw

also leicester look up.... they are climing the table.

Last edited:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
15-3-0 record is title winning form, simple as. Keep that up & nobody can begrudge them.

Sure, they have had luck, but they are getting the shots away (Sturridge’s late equaliser v Chelsea, Pickford’s Howler) so you make your own luck to a degree.

Fortunate for us who don’t want them to do it that you have City doing what they are doing at the same time.

Must be up there with the best top flight starts ever?
city last season is the only team to have done it better in the top flight.

soccergirl

Supports
Italy national team
There still half a season to go, and truth is, players tend to get tired more in the second half.

I know Man City lost to Palace, but did anyone see Kevin De Bruyne goal towards the end of that match when he was sub in? wow, superb goal.

And tbh, Kevin hasn't played for his team at all in the first half of the season, now if he fit again and play again, he will make sure his team won't lost another match.

Personally I don't like Sane, Leroy Sane is overrated to me, never understand the hype about him.

It nice to see Liverpool win, all those hard work from Klopp and the Liverpool players are finally pay off with a trophy. I wish Liverpool all the luck.

I wouldn't underestimate De Bruyne if I was liverpool. I'm 100% sure Kevin can get that 3 points gap and put City 1 point behind Liverpool again.

Anyways, hope this year is your year Liverpool, win that trophy. Go go!

Last edited by a moderator:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Feck me they really are going to do it aren’t they ?... It will take a big dip in form for them to choke now.

Status
Not open for further replies.