Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfric

Supports
Liverpool
I think Wolves will spoil liverpool's chances on last day of the season.
If we beat newcastle and city lose points against Leicester (which is unlikely), It'd give us a huge amount of momentum and I think our players will just go out and tear wolves apart.
However if we enter the last week being still 1 point behind, it's going to be a pretty tricky match against the mighty wolves.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
If we beat newcastle and city lose points against Leicester (which is unlikely), It'd give us a huge amount of momentum and I think our players will just go out and tear wolves apart.
However if we enter the last week being still 1 point behind, it's going to be a pretty tricky match against the mighty wolves.
Looking at the Brighton-Newcastle highlights of last weekend, City's last game of the season is a no contest as much as ours against Huddersfield was last Friday - it's already set in stone that they'll handily beat them without breaking a sweat.

Burnley away was the only tough one left and I feel they're gone now, they won't slip up anymore. There's no love lost between us and Rodgers as there is between us and Rafa either, so while Leicester are definitely a good side, I don't see them taking points off City at the Etihad at this stage of the season.

If we get a decent result at Nou Camp Wednesday, I'd like us to rest a few players against Newcastle next weekend.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Looking at the Brighton-Newcastle highlights of last weekend, City's last game of the season is a no contest as much as ours against Huddersfield was last Friday - it's already set in stone that they'll handily beat them without breaking a sweat.

Burnley away was the only tough one left and I feel they're gone now, they won't slip up anymore. There's no love lost between us and Rodgers as there is between us and Rafa either, so while Leicester are definitely a good side, I don't see them taking points off City at the Etihad at this stage of the season.

If we get a decent result at Nou Camp Wednesday, I'd like us to rest a few players against Newcastle next weekend.
You will not be resting players v Newcastle!!

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
You will not be resting players v Newcastle!!
I doubt we will, I just said I wouldn't really mind if we rested Firmino (if fit) and Van Dijk for example. Our defense is good enough for Newcastle with or without him (or at least, should be good enough), and we'd still have Salah and Mane to score the necessary goals.

We're much more likely to win the CL than the PL at this point and anyone thinking otherwise is living in denial.

Wulfric

Supports
Liverpool

Pretty much this. Besides, Leicester need to park the bus at Etihad, and Rodgers isn't exactly known for his genius defensive tactics.

I wouldn't rest players against Newcastle though.

Last edited by a moderator:

predator

Youth NITK
Time to face facts. If we end up on 97 points and not win the title, losing by ONE point to the most successful side in PL history, this is by no means an unsuccessful season by any stretch of the imagination. We've the highest points tally of any club other than Man City, and any other season we would have run away with this title, because the rest of the shower below us are nowhere near as good any more.

Couple that with yet another possible CL final, (and maybe even win that trophy), and this season looks just as good as City's.

What you and every other team (except City) should be worried about is many years of domination between both Liverpool and City from now on, as the gulf in class is becoming very apparent. We are in a mini league of our own now, and it may be too difficult for other clubs to reach both teams. This doesn't feel like a Rogers one-off season fluke anymore. It feels like Klopp is building a new dynasty here, and we will only get better next season, not worse. Liverpool are back, and its hurting everyone around us.
Face the facts that ultimately matter in football. Trophies. You can even touch them. As rosy as you see it you are yet to win one under klopp.

shaky

Time to face facts. If we end up on 97 points and not win the title, losing by ONE point to the most successful side in PL history, this is by no means an unsuccessful season by any stretch of the imagination. We've the highest points tally of any club other than Man City, and any other season we would have run away with this title, because the rest of the shower below us are nowhere near as good any more.

Couple that with yet another possible CL final, (and maybe even win that trophy), and this season looks just as good as City's.

What you and every other team (except City) should be worried about is many years of domination between both Liverpool and City from now on, as the gulf in class is becoming very apparent. We are in a mini league of our own now, and it may be too difficult for other clubs to reach both teams. This doesn't feel like a Rogers one-off season fluke anymore. It feels like Klopp is building a new dynasty here, and we will only get better next season, not worse. Liverpool are back, and its hurting everyone around us.
Yup, your probable 7th trophyless season in a row will obviously be comparable in greatness to City's probable domestic treble season. And Liverpool will certainly only get better next season, not worse. It's not like teams ever peak or regress. Once they hit an upward trajectory, they just stay on it forever.

Face it dude, your troll attempts are poorly disguising the fact that you're only trying to convince yourself. You know fine well that the longer you go without winning anything, the higher the chance that the Klopp bubble bursts before he gets the chance to be remembered as anything more than Anfield's most "successful" loser.

Tostao_80

What a deluded post. How is a CL final and 2nd in the league just as successful as City's, if they win the domestic treble? Even if they just win the league and not the FA Cup, they've had a better season. What of the two, would Klopp prefer?
CL win and 2nd in the league would be more debatable, though i'd still give the edge to City's treble.

Also, you say that you'll get better next season? Are you willing to bet that you won't better 97 points next season?

montpelier

Bye, :D.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Brilliant season even if they don't win the title. The Challenge is motivating them team to perform again next year. I don't expect any new title challenge next year either. It will be between City and Liverpool again.

Minimalist

Brilliant season even if they don't win the title. The Challenge is motivating them team to perform again next year. I don't expect any new title challenge next year either. It will be between City and Liverpool again.
Liverpool are notorious for finishing 2nd and then slipping down the table. Would be a change to see them do it again next year.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool are notorious for finishing 2nd and then slipping down the table. Would be a change to see them do it again next year.
Just need to re-sign Benteke and Balotelli and you will look like Mystic Meg. ;)

CognitiveNeuro

(10 Man) Manchester United Reserves 0-0 Liverpool

The result - and weekend - which will ultimately cost Klopp the title.

:drool:
I mean, each game is worth the same points but if you HAD to choose one game that cost them it was the last one, the Everton game.
They actually lost the lead on top of the table after that game and knew they had to win to keep being on top.
Remember seeing Salah smiling while walking off the pitch at the end, what a nonce.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

I was going to reply but then I saw he's been banned already :lol:

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Is that what you did in 2002/03 and 2009/10?
There are mitigating circumstances for the seasons following our last title challenges.

02/03 - Houllier, not long back after his heart attack made some dreadful signings. Passing up Anelka to sign Diouf was an awful mistake and one that even Thompson has said was a bad error of judgement. Houllier sadly was never the same after his heart attack and after another poor season in 03/04 (albeit wih Champions League qualification at the end), he was let go.

09/10 - The era of Hicks and Gillette left us dead in the water. Benitez wasn't backed as fights were breaking out in the boardroom an he football became a secondary issue at Anfield. Just 18 months after our title challenge, Liverpool were 48hrs away from liquidation and the club was sitting 19th in the Premier League.

14/15 - Everyone was in awe of our attacking prowess in 2014. We scored goals for fun but leaked them just as easily at the back. Our title charge was built on sand and was never going to last once the supporting pillar of Suarez left and Sturridge's injuries took hold. Balotelli was never going to be the answer and Rodgers didn't want to sign him but had no other options. We tried for Sanchez who only wanted to go to London at the time and it would have been criminal to go into the season without some sort of replacement.

19/20 - For the first time in the Premier League era, we have owners and a manager working in unison with an already strong squad. Defensively we're good and up front speaks for itself. Concern would be with midfield right now but Keita seems to be improving and Oxlade-Chamberlain can now get a full pre-season under his belt for the first time with Klopp.

Whilst past events suggest that we will drop of next season, this isn't the same fragile club that we have seen in days gone by.

Minimalist

There are mitigating circumstances for the seasons following our last title challenges.

02/03 - Houllier, not long back after his heart attack made some dreadful signings. Passing up Anelka to sign Diouf was an awful mistake and one that even Thompson has said was a bad error of judgement. Houllier sadly was never the same after his heart attack and after another poor season in 03/04 (albeit wih Champions League qualification at the end), he was let go.

09/10 - The era of Hicks and Gillette left us dead in the water. Benitez wasn't backed as fights were breaking out in the boardroom an he football became a secondary issue at Anfield. Just 18 months after our title challenge, Liverpool were 48hrs away from liquidation and the club was sitting 19th in the Premier League.

14/15 - Everyone was in awe of our attacking prowess in 2014. We scored goals for fun but leaked them just as easily at the back. Our title charge was built on sand and was never going to last once the supporting pillar of Suarez left and Sturridge's injuries took hold. Balotelli was never going to be the answer and Rodgers didn't want to sign him but had no other options. We tried for Sanchez who only wanted to go to London at the time and it would have been criminal to go into the season without some sort of replacement.

19/20 - For the first time in the Premier League era, we have owners and a manager working in unison with an already strong squad. Defensively we're good and up front speaks for itself. Concern would be with midfield right now but Keita seems to be improving and Oxlade-Chamberlain can now get a full pre-season under his belt for the first time with Klopp.

Whilst past events suggest that we will drop of next season, this isn't the same fragile club that we have seen in days gone by.
No shit. It's called 'Being Liverpool'.

They did a doc and everything.

klayton88

I know they have dropped points elsewhere but how massive was that 0-0 at OT. We had a severely depleted team, made all three substitutes in the first half and had Rashford hobbling about for all of the second half.

Luke1995

This is such a nervous moment in the season for Liverpool. They could end up with the league and the champions league, or with none of them.

IMO the outcome will definitely dictate whether players like Mane and Salah will want to stay next season. There will be so many offers.

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
This is such a nervous moment in the season for Liverpool. They could end up with the league and the champions league, or with none of them.

IMO the outcome will definitely dictate whether players like Mane and Salah will want to stay next season. There will be so many offers.
Good to have players that will interest the top teams.

United don't have such problems these days.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Pogba and De Gea have been chased by Madrid for years if you believe the papers.
Bless you for having a go though.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC

Maybe there will. And maybe they want to stay anyway.. Who knows? What I do know is, that Salah, Mané, Firmino and van Dijk all have contracts running to 2023. We would ask for Coutinho money for any of them.

Our other top assets, Alisson, Robertson and Alexander-Arnold have contracts running to 2024. So they will be very pricey aswell.

Heads could be turned if Real Madrid or Barcelona come calling, but we will take them to the cleaners if so, that's for sure.

I don't want us to sell any of them at any price, but with the way our transfers have gone so far under Klopp, I trust him to get it right if we have to sell.

Luke1995

Maybe there will. And maybe they want to stay anyway.. Who knows? What I do know is, that Salah, Mané, Firmino and van Dijk all have contracts running to 2023. We would ask for Coutinho money for any of them.

Our other top assets, Alisson, Robertson and Alexander-Arnold have contracts running to 2024. So they will be very pricey aswell.

Heads could be turned if Real Madrid or Barcelona come calling, but we will take them to the cleaners if so, that's for sure.

I don't want us to sell any of them at any price, but with the way our transfers have gone so far under Klopp, I trust him to get it right if we have to sell.
What a big difference a manager with a clear plan and bussiness strategy makes!

We are entering into the 1980's again, Liverpool will dominate everything and United fade into obscurity (unfortunately for me) but that's the nature of the game!

Luke1995

Well i'm sure Pogba and De Gea would cost big money, but United would be dumb enough to let them enter the last year of their contracts for sure

JakeRockwell

What a big difference a manager with a clear plan and bussiness strategy makes!

We are entering into the 1980's again, Liverpool will dominate everything and United fade into obscurity (unfortunately for me) but that's the nature of the game!
Let's not get carried away, they've got better but they haven't done enough to prove that they could dominate.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

If you're taking potshots on an opposition team forum at least make sure you're not miserably wrong.

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers

burnley had no chance. city are at home but leicester city are much tougher opposition than burnley. not over til it's over. burnley will be relegated next season if they don't change the team. the game against burnley was a 100% win.

Fridge chutney

This is a perfect example of why no one ever wants Liverpool to win anything.

Penycwm

Supports
Newport County
Don't you know coming in second with 97 points is just as good as winning the title. At least that is what I've been hearing.
Of course its not but regardless of how many teams throw multi millions of pounds at players only one team can win.
City and Liverpool are way ahead of the others in the top 6 and its those teams that need to improve, laughing at a team who comes second this season is very churlish.

Status
Not open for further replies.