Liverpool and the Quadruple

BlueHaze

So your hope in the CL is either Atletico Madrid shithousing the life out of City or Chelsea/Real Madrid to go all the way. Pretty grim options either way. I'm not sure that Bayern tie is set in stone like that. I quite fancy Bayern a little bit if I'm honest.
Atletico, Chelsea, Real any of these teams can win and I won't be upset. As for Bayern, I would honestly say Liverpool would go past them quite easy baring any injury to key players. Bayern this year under Nagelsmann look a bit shaky at times.

Korwas

I get the feeling that people are overrating Liverpools chances on purpose so that they can call them chokers when Liverpool fail to win every single trophy and it's just sad. Liverpool has to beat City in both the Fa Cup, League and maybe CL aswell (not to mention Bayern). Liverpool are behind in the league so they can't really rest players either. If Liverpool had a 10 point lead in the league and City had a ton of injuries I would understand the concern but now it's premature.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Giggsy13

They’ll win the fa cup and league cup. City the league and Bayern Munich to save football by winning Europe.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
How are United the bigger club if Liverpool are so far ahead in Europe?

If Liverpool win another CL will that make them the biggest club in England?

For the elite global clubs like Real, Bayern, Barca European victories are extremely important in their legacy as a club and global stature.

Surely United need more of it too to be at that very top table!

Can someone explain this to me, I am not English.
For me, Juventus is the biggest Italian club. Go figure.

Fridge chutney

For the elite global clubs like Real, Bayern, Barca European victories are extremely important in their legacy as a club and global stature.

What a strange and bizarre rant. Since you seem confused, why don't you start by defining "biggest". Then i'm sure you can put the pieces together rather than just beginning what i can only assume to be a wum attempt.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I get the feeling that people are overrating Liverpools chances on purpose so that they can call them chokers when Liverpool fail to win every single trophy and it's just sad.
Nah it's because Liverpool fans are bigging it up themselves. Obviously. I don't remember United fans ever being so such big headed wankers even in our prime, but that seems to be their style.

Strats

Never thought it would get to this point where this would be possible 10 years ago, especially with seeing us being lightyears behind.

Depressing times to be a United fan

padr81

Supports
Man City
They have to get past Bayern in the CL and most likely have City waiting for them in the final. They have City and (likely) Chelsea waiting for them in the FA Cup and City are just as likely to win the league as Liverpool. I favour them slightly in the league because they have momentum but it's 50/50 really.

It's a really exciting but really tough end to the season. I think they'll get 1 of the remaining 3 and it's the league.
I think the league is the one that might pass them by. They have a much harder run in than City and failing to win at the Etihad will pretty much put them way behind the curve. I think they have a much better chance in the CL because their support will literally lift them past Bayern. I think they'll def get one of the three and I'd say its likely the CL or FA Cup. The CL in particular is a competition where only Real Madrid have more pedigree and belief (which does matter)

RedDevilRoshi

I reckok they will win the FA Cup but City will just about pip them to the league & beat them in the CL final.

Either way it’s a fecking nightmare scenario.

Fridge chutney

They aren't favourites for either FA Cup, PL, or CL for that matter. Very improbable they win all three of those, probably won't win any.
I really hope your lot can win the CL. Then i don't have to care what happens with any of the other competitions!

AshRK

Well 1 PL title doesn't scream elite either. Yes United should have won more than 3 CL but then 3 CLs are no mean achievement either. Also, you need some luck as well to win CL, and unfortunately United haven't had the greatest of them.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
It’s not happening. I think we’ll end up with a double of some sort.

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Seen people underrating Bayern here, but once Goretzka comes back, Nagelsmann will stop playing one man midfield (Kimmich) like he's been doing the past months, unless he's having some brain fart a la Guardiola.
Once the midfield is stabilized and the defenders have more coverage, the Bayern machine can give full play to their strength and they are capable of putting 3 past any team in the world right now.. although this year Bayern are in decline compared to the last two seasons.
Of course, here is United centric and PL centric forum, so no biggie.

Last edited:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Nah it's because Liverpool fans are bigging it up themselves. Obviously. I don't remember United fans ever being so such big headed wankers even in our prime, but that seems to be their style.
Seriously all this quad and treble talk every year. United were as “close” many times in the past but that’s actually not really close. Both United and Chelsea for example in 2006/07 alone were in the FA Cup final, competing for the league and in the CL semis, but still neither club actually came close to winning the treble in the end.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
To actually do that we’d need to beat City in the league, beat City and then probably Chelsea in the FA Cup and then Bayern and one of City or Chelsea/Madrid, and be pretty much perfect in the league for the rest of the season. It’s not happening.

padr81

Supports
Man City
To actually do that we’d need to beat City in the league, beat City and then probably Chelsea in the FA Cup and then Bayern and one of City or Chelsea/Madrid, and be pretty much perfect in the league for the rest of the season. It’s not happening.
By my reckoning you'll need to win 15 of 17 games give or take to pull off the quad. think the quad talk is probably best left till after the fa cup semi's and even then it'll be a long shot. Given your fixtures its unlikely, I mean playing 17 games between April 2nd and May 28th alone is 17 games in 57 days. I think a double is a cert and a treble a good possibility, For City I don't even think a treble is possible for the same reason.

17 games in 57 days with guaranteed fixtures
City at least twice maybe 3 times
Bayern twice
Chelsea potentially twice
United
Spurs
a Merseyside Derby against an Everton who need the points
Tricky finishing games vs Southampton and Wolves.

If you do pull off the quad it'll be probably the best 25 or so game run in football history bar none.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

Because Liverpool has been irrelevant in the Premier League for almost 30 years, bar 1 season under Benitez and 1 under Rodgers, when they challenged for the title.

30 years of irrelevance in PL shouldn't be overlooked, not even A.C Milan has been that much time irrelevant in Serie A, their longest drought is 10 years.

Liverpool did great overperforming in the UCL back in the mid 2000s, considering they never had players that were considered top (in their respective position) back then, except Gerrard.

Benitez definitely did an amazing job overperforming in the UCL with that Liverpool side.

I would say it's pretty even, foreigners that don't follow english football very close might choose Liverpool as the bigger club due to UCL success, but for most english people United might the bigger club.

el3mel

Depressing times. At the end of the season Liverpool fans are looking forward to their team's chances in literally all possible trophies, league, Fa Cup and CL, while having League Cup in the bag. Meanwhile, we're looking forward to our chances in finishing 5th.

Paul_Scholes18

I say it is over 50% chance of happening. You guys have the refs with you which is like playing with 12.

Lots of luck too. Benfica will not stop you guys.

Trophy Room

Honestly don't give a shit. United's cycle will come again. We have to get used to Liverpool being the (co) dominant force in English football for at least the next 5 years.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Be It’s the best chance for any premier League club. There’s no elite Barcelona, Madrid or Bayern standing in their way, only City, and City bottle it on the big occasion.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Seems inevitable - they never drop points in the league anymore; they never lose a match that matters in the cups; they always score goals, and very rarely concede them. They're basically the only team that can beat City as well with their style of play, and none of the European clubs are in any state to stop them.

They're also incredibly strong mentally, limiting the chances of them choking when the pressure is on.

Plus in a season where everything possible is going against United, having the treble eclipsed by those bastards will be the final insult.

It's very much on.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I'm not sure if they will in the quadruple, but I do know they will certainly add another trophy to the league cup. I can only hope it's the FA cup but I suspect it might be the PL

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Hope they do. United need a good kick up their...
Most of the last decade has been nothing but repeated kicks up the arse. Hasn't changed much unfortunately.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
They have the best chance to do it more than any side in history. They are the strongest team I have seen since Pep Guardiola's Barcelona. It would be great to see them achieve such a feat for such excellent football.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
By my reckoning you'll need to win 15 of 17 games give or take to pull off the quad. think the quad talk is probably best left till after the fa cup semi's and even then it'll be a long shot. Given your fixtures its unlikely, I mean playing 17 games between April 2nd and May 28th alone is 17 games in 57 days. I think a double is a cert and a treble a good possibility, For City I don't even think a treble is possible for the same reason.

17 games in 57 days with guaranteed fixtures
City at least twice maybe 3 times
Bayern twice
Chelsea potentially twice
United
Spurs
a Merseyside Derby against an Everton who need the points
Tricky finishing games vs Southampton and Wolves.

If you do pull off the quad it'll be probably the best 25 or so game run in football history bar none.
Yeah it's a lot of games and you can already see a little bit of fatigue settling into a few players. I think Fabinho's looked knackered for a few weeks now.

If we keep the squad mostly fit I think we'll be ok, but you eventually reach a point where you can't play the likes of Minamino, Chamberlain, Origi, Elliott etc because you either need to win the game or you're playing a knock out game and can't afford any passengers. We're not going to play any of those players in the FA Cup semi-final or the CL games (maybe Benfica at home if we're comfortable already). We can't rotate heavily in the league either because most of our games are difficult or potential banana skin's.
Watford after the break is probably the last time we can rotate a bit. The other games we have are Spurs, United, City, Everton, Newcastle, Villa, Wolves and Southampton. Which of those games look like fixtures you can rotate a bit?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah it's a lot of games and you can already see a little bit of fatigue settling into a few players. I think Fabinho's looked knackered for a few weeks now.

If we keep the squad mostly fit I think we'll be ok, but you eventually reach a point where you can't play the likes of Minamino, Chamberlain, Origi, Elliott etc because you either need to win the game or you're playing a knock out game and can't afford any passengers. We're not going to play any of those players in the FA Cup semi-final or the CL games (maybe Benfica at home if we're comfortable already). We can't rotate heavily in the league either because most of our games are difficult or potential banana skin's.
Watford after the break is probably the last time we can rotate a bit. The other games we have are Spurs, United, City, Everton, Newcastle, Villa, Wolves and Southampton. Which of those games look like fixtures you can rotate a bit?
Exactly, its why even though its possible its almost impossible, even with our squad that doesn't have the same drop off outside the first XI, its next to impossible to play pretty much the same 14 players every 3 days for 17 games.
I secretly think Klopp while he wanted to win, wouldn't have been heartbroken had you gone out today.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
The simple answer is obviously Utd need to win more European trophies (ie CLs) to be considered elite level. But on a Utd forum this will not be up for discussion. You might need to visit more 'neutral' English football forums for that.
Agreed. Based on personal experiences, most neutral Brits actually say United is bigger. But many of the other foreigners(Europeans and North Americans) and South American fellas said they consider LFC bigger. United are massive in parts of Scandinavia and South Asian countries. Makes sense.

For me, Juventus is the biggest Italian club. Go figure.
In terms of first division titles LFC is very very close to United. Juventus is far ahead of the Milan clubs in league titles. Not sure this comparison holds here.

What a strange and bizarre rant. Since you seem confused, why don't you start by defining "biggest". Then i'm sure you can put the pieces together rather than just beginning what i can only assume to be a wum attempt.
How on Earth is this a wind up attempt? I have worded it as reasonably as possible. It was genuine. I think you have had a few drinks mate if you think this is WUM. :lol:

Because Liverpool has been irrelevant in the Premier League for almost 30 years, bar 1 season under Benitez and 1 under Rodgers, when they challenged for the title.

30 years of irrelevance in PL shouldn't be overlooked, not even A.C Milan has been that much time irrelevant in Serie A, their longest drought is 10 years.

Liverpool did great overperforming in the UCL back in the mid 2000s, considering they never had players that were considered top (in their respective position) back then, except Gerrard.

Benitez definitely did an amazing job overperforming in the UCL with that Liverpool side.

I would say it's pretty even, foreigners that don't follow english football very close might choose Liverpool as the bigger club due to UCL success, but for most english people United might the bigger club.
You make a lot of sense. United's recent history was pretty dominant. The SAF era was so fruitful. Liverpool's dry spell hurts them.

Fridge chutney

How on Earth is this a wind up attempt? I have worded it as reasonably as possible. It was genuine. I think you have had a few drinks mate if you think this is WUM. :lol:
I am unfortunately sober. If it wasn't a wind up then my apologies.

It all comes down to how one defines biggest. If biggest is based on number of domestic leagues, then United is the biggest. If biggest is based on European glory, then it is Liverpool. If biggest is based on fans/revenue, it is United. If it is based on competitive recency, it is Liverpool.

United and Liverpool have been the two biggest clubs in England for decades. Even when either struggle on the pitch, they remain hugely popular and maintain a huge amount of fans, press, relevancy, etc.

At the end of the day, the title of "biggest" doesn't really matter, it's just something fans can debate in pubs or online about!

Josh 76

Liverpool play Utd 2 or 3 days after the FA cup semi final v City. Utd play Norwich at Home that weekend. (So Utd can rotate, if that’s possible).

I know Utd are wank at the moment. But that game at Anfield is our cup final now. Will be interesting to see how Klopp plays it.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Pretty much impossible, it would require an insane run and an insane amount of luck. I know there’s the constant lucky Liverpool shouts on here but doing it would actually require a lot of things to go our way.

We’re well placed in the cup and CL but the league will require so much that the other things will suffer.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Don't know why the quadruple is being talked about year after year because a team is doing very well, it takes a lot more than just being excellent to perform such a feat, insane squad depth and good amount of luck.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool

Doesn’t make a difference how much better Liverpool are or trophy count. United are a bigger team and always have been. It’s just the way it is starting with Busby then the tragedy then the first English European Cup with Georgie Best. Liverpool ruled football in the 70s and 80s and united got relegated but united were still the bigger team in popularity. The PL early years with the Sky money and the lucky buggers getting SAF and all the stars like Beckham made them even more famous. You can’t compete with that if you’re a team like Liverpool. All you can do is strive to be the most successful team overall to lessen the gap. It’s why 20 is so important. Europe is a different story as Liverpool have always been on a different level.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Don't know why the quadruple is being talked about year after year because a team is doing very well, it takes a lot more than just being excellent to perform such a feat, insane squad depth and good amount of luck.
The Quadruple is out of the question. We are not favored in any of the three competitions left. So how could we possibly win all three. Give me the league. That’ll be enough.