Liverpool are a mess

FujiVice

They're going to have trouble against a lot of teams this year. They still seem like the whole side is dragging an anvil behind them. You dont get many easy games (unless you're City) at the minute.

acolyte

I was almost hoping they won this game so they wouldn't be motivated to improve their team before the window closes.

mav_9me

I think you saw today the difference a lack of midfield can do to the attack. They have great attackers but not a great midfield today to get them the ball in right areas.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was a bizarre starting selection from Klopp, feels like one of those coded ones from a manager to send a message to the board to get some deals done.

JustinC00

They looked shite. Seemed like Chelsea were running thru their midfield like they were training cones.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They’ll surely get a DM. There’s absolutely no way a midfield 3 of Gakpo (lolzy), Mac Allister, and Szoboszlai will work. Even more so when you have the ghost of van Dijk’s aura playing CB

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Don't think today showed anything anyone didn't know previously. Klopp needs backing to a level that even slightly resembles his rivals. DM and CB are a minimum.

chay chay okocha

Gakpo and Szoboszlai looked really really poor in midfield (Gakpo more so) - unable to hold or advance the ball, and pretty horrific in defensive transitions. I think Klopp will have to play the likes of Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliot a lot more often than he'd probably like to, or go back to the TAA in midfield option.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Feck me, this Chelsea game is showing us why we need to up our bid from £111m to £120m asap!
I reckon Brighton would accept it if you offered that

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Not sure, they may stay loyal to the only other bid of £111m made by Chel... er, Liver Puds FC.
It’s funny you keep on with this.
  • Chelsea have put the ground work in with the player.
  • You threw a massive number onto the table, well done.
  • But the player had no interest in joining you - bizarre that you actually tabled an official offer without even realising the player isn’t interested. Amateur hour
  • Chelsea will eventually agree a deal with Brighton and your coy questions about whether they have bid for him yet aren’t going to have any effect on that reality.
  • When they do finally have an offer accepted, what are you going to do?
  • Are you actually suggesting that Chelsea won’t be able to agree a deal and Caicedo will have to join you lot against his will?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It’s funny you keep on with this.
  • Chelsea have put the ground work in with the player.
  • You threw a massive number onto the table, well done.
  • But the player had no interest in joining you - bizarre that you actually tabled an official offer without even realising the player isn’t interested. Amateur hour
  • Chelsea will eventually agree a deal with Brighton and your coy questions about whether they have bid for him yet aren’t going to have any effect on that reality.
  • When they do finally have an offer accepted, what are you going to do?
  • Are you actually suggesting that Chelsea won’t be able to agree a deal and Caicedo will have to join you lot against his will?
I will say fair enough and ask how much. Then I will hope we raise our bid. That's how these things work correctly.

If we don't raise it I'm happy enough we tried and that we have disposable money finally. Sign Andre or similar.

Edit: also, thanks for reminding me. It's time to post my question in that thread. :D

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I will say fair enough and ask how much. Then I will hope we raise our bid. That's how these things work correctly.

If we don't raise it I'm happy enough we tried and that we have disposable money finally. Sign Andre or similar.

Edit: also, thanks for reminding me. It's time to post my question in that thread. :D
Why are you talking about raising your bid? You had your offer accepted and the player has rejected you. If Chelsea have an offer of £115m accepted, it doesn’t matter if you offer £130m, he’s going to sign for Chelsea.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’ve been saying for some time - their players don’t scare me & don’t look good individually or through balance.

Klopp is getting time at Liverpool because he is a legend there now.

Dazzmondo

Dominated by a Chelsea midfield without Caicedo. Liverpool fans also continue to bury their head in the sand about the need for a cb. They think a new dm will magically fix everything on its own. Not a chance. A top dm and a cb to replace Robertson should be the minimum.

IrishRedDevil

Dominated by a Chelsea midfield without Caicedo. Liverpool fans also continue to bury their head in the sand about the need for a cb. They think a new dm will magically fix everything on its own. Not a chance. A top dm and a cb to replace Robertson should be the minimum.
CB to replace LB?
You mean they should change to 3 at the back?

Dazzmondo

CB to replace LB?
They basically already have. Trent is pretty much playing in midfield. You can't have an attacking lb like Robertson if the plan is to play like that. You need to play more of a cb like Burn or Ake

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I don't quite understand them playing Gakpo behind the forward line in midfield. Isn't him bombing up the pitch much more efficient than the role he has to play now?

PaudieG91

Supports
Liverpool
CB to replace LB?
Because the formation on Sky shows 4 at the back doesn't mean we are playing with 4. Robertson has been shifting into a back 3 when Trent steps into midfield.

I like the system but we do not have the personnel to carry it out effectively I think. We have lost five to six senior players this summer and signed two. Some rebuild.

Klopp needs to speak out and stop protecting these owners. I don't care that we had a bid accepted for Caicedo. Why was that bid made so late in the day? Where is the planning here?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I don't quite understand them playing Gakpo behind the forward line in midfield. Isn't him bombing up the pitch much more efficient than the role he has to play now?
It’s a message from Klopp that they have no midfielders.

Ignore the fact he subbed two actual midfielders on

jesperjaap

They do need a defensive midfielder, but personally I think they look strong apart from that, just need time for new players to bed in. The two midfielders they have signed are better than the ones have left, get a decent defensive midfielder in and they are right back in the mix.

I think the biggest reason they have dropped off isnt the midfield, isnt losing two fantastic attackig players.....it is actually the defence. And its simply that individually the defenders are good but nowehere near as good as made out to be.....and thats because for a good 18-24months those players massively over performed. Van Dijk was a massive transfer and he was the best defender probably in the world for a good while.....when in rality, he is just a good defender, isnt even top 10. Robertson was arguably the best left back in the world....again he is just a good left back. Alexander Arnold was touted as one of the best players in the world.....and he cant actualyl defend. I couldnt believe how wewll they played as a unit for a fair while, thought i misjudged the first two as signings....I think they are playing nearer there real level now....but they are still good players, they just arent among the very best in the world, I still think they will be right up there for top 4 come the end of the season though, jstu not challenging CIty like the last few years....as the defenders wont over perform for so long again

SAFMUTD

They'll definitely buy a CDM. That midfield has no control at all it could work against small teams which won't compete for possession but against proper opposition they'll get bypassed every time.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
The game today made it clear what most fans have been saying for a while - we really need a quality dm. Hope John Henry paid attention.

Also, without being asked specifically, van Dijk said “let’s see if we can bring a few extra additions to the squad” or words to that effect in a post match interview.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
The game today made it clear what most fans have been saying for a while - we really need a quality dm. Hope John Henry paid attention.

Also, without being asked specifically, van Dijk said “let’s see if we can bring a few extra additions to the squad” or words to that effect in a post match interview.
The thing is, in order to find the right balance a new DM that is great defensively to protect that shambles of a defence you have is one thing but also finding one that is press resistant and can pass progressively to stitch together your attack is another thing entirely and I’m not convinced that player is out there for you.

IrishRedDevil

The thing is, in order to find the right balance a new DM that is great defensively to protect that shambles of a defence you have is one thing but also finding one that is press resistant and can pass progressively to stitch together your attack is another thing entirely and I’m not convinced that player is out there for you.
Annoying for them to see Enzo being right there infront of their face today :lol:

Valencia Shin Crosses

There’s not really a top DM out there if they don’t get Caicedo though. Expecting Lavia to immediately be a stalwart shield lone DM at this stage is far too optimistic, he will need time.

The sneaky issue is that Robertson isn’t close to the player he was at his best these days, and he’s a bit pointless if Klopp wants to do the inverted Trent thing. I think they need 3 players

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yeah if Caicedo goes to Chelsea then Liverpool might be forced to alter some plans. They could be okay if they just got a standard destroyer but if they did they need to replace Robertson with a much better passer/progressor from that position to make up for it.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, I don’t know who it could be either. It’ll also be very expensive if we find him now that everyone know we’ve got 115m lying around. Good thing we managed to get an interim sporting director to sort it out :lol:

Eddy_JukeZ

They looked awful.

One of the worst performances I can remember seeing from them under Klopp.

Eddy_JukeZ

Did you watch any of our games last season?
You had some stinkers last season too, but there were numerous periods of the game today where Liverpool couldn't even string 3 passes together.

I find those type of performances generally worse.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don’t understand why they’ve prioritised attack and attacking midfielders as much as they have. The Sbozo fellow can’t be more important than the engine room. McAllister isn’t a true CM either - he’s more of a 10 who drops in and hasn’t got great physicality.