Liverpool are a mess

crossy1686

career ending
Our players are mint and we’ve made some great signings?
Onana is the only signing that I think improves us this season, the others will need time or might not ever reach the heights people think they're capable of, but I'm not surprised by the optimism, people love new signings and always presume they'll definitely work out and be better than what we had previously. DVB, Sancho, Antony etc were all highly regarded when they signed, until they played a handful of games that is.

If the manager can get us to click in the first 10 games then we should be fine barring injuries to key players, but as I said before, the blind optimism going into the season feels a lot like previous seasons that have gone to shit. No one ever sees it coming.

Same for Liverpool, they're apparently going to bounce back this year. They've got too many defensive issues to just be good this year, and that forward line is weaker than it's ever been under Klopp.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
A lot of wishful thinking in here imo (I’m the same!) In reality I think they’ll be a strong side, bolstered the midfield well in summer and have lots of attacking ability.

Im expecting Salah to start to show some decline though, I know he scored plenty last season but he didn’t look as effective and/or as strong on the ball in the games I watched, (again could be wishful thinking) would be interested in Liverpool fans view on that?
He is only fast now, rather than blazing. I think his allround game just gets better and better though. I reckon he'll score a bagful and top the assist chart.

SambaBoy

I always hesitate to underestimate Liverpool, Klopp has shown many times he can get his teams at a really high level even when they don't look that great on paper. But when I look at that midfield, you have to say its the weakest its been since he built his first good team.

Szoboszlai I don't really know, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's solid. Mac Allister was a good buy but not exactly fear inducing. Then they've got Jones, Elliot, Thiago and Bajcetic. I mean, all four have their merits, but I don't see how you build a title-challenging midfield out of that. Honestly, if they still dominate possession against us yet again this season, I'll be pissed.
You could say the same about the midfield when they won the league though. Henderson-Wijnaldum-Fabinho for the most part wasn't it?

Arguably it's better now - providing they bring in Lavia and if Szoboszlai and McAllister live up to their hype and potential.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
A lot of wishful thinking in here imo (I’m the same!) In reality I think they’ll be a strong side, bolstered the midfield well in summer and have lots of attacking ability.

Im expecting Salah to start to show some decline though, I know he scored plenty last season but he didn’t look as effective and/or as strong on the ball in the games I watched, (again could be wishful thinking) would be interested in Liverpool fans view on that?
Not the best measurement obviously but he has notched up 7 assists and 3 goals in preseason already. He's not looking as fatigued as he did last season. Only a fool will not be paying top dollar to have him in their FA fantasy teams over Antony and Garnacho for example.

EireRed_GS

I have a few liverpool fans that are mates pretty much guaranteeing me Darwin Nunez is gonna be a goal machine this season.. Not sure why, maybe because he did well his second season at Benfica. I cant see it if im honest

TBH ive no idea about anything on the hungarian lad they bought. & im unsure what kind of impact MacAllister will have when he's not taking all the set pieces.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
What? Konate is brilliant.
Don't do it. You're on a forum where this thread exists. Just check out the first page alone, honorary mentions to sincher, Kaos, bsCallout among many, many geniuses in there: Who are the top 5 centre-backs in the world?

cyberman

If Chelsea beat them to Lavia then it’s a disaster of a transfer window

Ludens the Red

I don't see any evidence to suggest we're going to be amazing, and usually when this place has high expectations the season goes to shit quite spectacularly.
Yep, it’s deffo a second season manager thing on here. Happened in Lvg, Mourinhos second season too. Not so much Ole as his signings were horrific but by his third season this happened. Title challenge and winner predictions in a managers second season for no real apparent reason other than ‘signed some players’…

Chief123

It’s incredible people have them in the conversation for the title. They have zero chance. They should be worried about getting top 4 ahead of Newcastle.

What a complete mess FSG are. It goes to show how much they are missing Edwards with their transfer dealings. FSG out trending again is no surprise.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

If Chelsea beat them to Lavia then it’s a disaster of a transfer window
They got a golden parachute from Saudi Arabia only to fumble the deal over 5M, they can only blame themselves :houllier:

Blood Mage

No Lavia no party for them this season. Wouldn't surprise me if they have no alternative lined up.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
It’s incredible people have them in the conversation for the title. They have zero chance. They should be worried about getting top 4 ahead of Newcastle.

What a complete mess FSG are. It goes to show how much they are missing Edwards with their transfer dealings. FSG out trending again is no surprise.
You are correct about Edwards. He never would have let this happen.He either would cut and run or paid it all from the start.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Really don’t understand our strategy with Lavia. We’re willing to pay 45m but not 50m because of his age?! Bizarre.

Edwards6

Wouldn't be surprised if Klopp walks away this season, the owners are letting him down massively. Maybe Liverpool fans will stop laughing at our Glazers out protests now they see what an influence bad ownership has on the club

the_cliff

Bit confused as to why Liverpool would put themselves in a desperate situation by getting rid of all their midfielders then haggling over 5mill for their only option at the 6. If they still had Fabinho/Henderson it's understandable but now if they go for any of their other targets they'll be taken to the cleaners, all other clubs will know they're desperate.

Chief123

Bit confused as to why Liverpool would put themselves in a desperate situation by getting rid of all their midfielders then haggling over 5mill for their only option at the 6. If they still had Fabinho/Henderson it's understandable but now if they go for any of their other targets they'll be taken to the cleaners, all other clubs will know they're desperate.
Because the owners just saw the money signs and couldn’t believe their luck with the amount of money being offered for 2 players who are finished.

They clearly didn’t anticipate you can’t buy quality players for Lidl prices like they used to. Even young talent is crazy pricing in this market.

Mr Smith

I have a few liverpool fans that are mates pretty much guaranteeing me Darwin Nunez is gonna be a goal machine this season.. Not sure why, maybe because he did well his second season at Benfica. I cant see it if im honest

TBH ive no idea about anything on the hungarian lad they bought. & im unsure what kind of impact MacAllister will have when he's not taking all the set pieces.
To be fair I think Nunez is a bit underrated because he's a bit goofy; his stats weren't that bad last season and after a year of PL I'm sure he'll improve. I feel like it doesn't matter that much though, as their attack is not where they're struggling. Not getting Lavia would be a disaster for them and trigger a panic in the last two weeks of the window. Their defence is far from secure either, I feel Van Dijkand Matip are past their best and Konate is a bit injury prone. I think they're still a way off a title push this season, Arsenal are far bigger contenders.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Wouldn't be surprised if Klopp walks away this season, the owners are letting him down massively. Maybe Liverpool fans will stop laughing at our Glazers out protests now they see what an influence bad ownership has on the club
Pleazee... you can't compare the Fenway with the Glazers. Not even in the same ballpark. We are only alive because of our financial capabilities.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool

Salah is a bit like Ronaldo, in that he is extremely dedicated to maximising himself physically. A 31 year old Salah is actually no different to the average 26-28 year old player...I can see him continuing to score and assist well into his mid 30s.

erikcred

This has always been their modus operandi. Without that Coutinho sale, this is what they'd have been doing all along.

arnie_ni

This has always been their modus operandi. Without that Coutinho sale, this is what they'd have been doing all along.
They at least reinvested that money. We didn't reinvest ronaldos way back when. Who did we sign that summer, obertan and Owen was it?

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Who’s their DM going to be then if they don’t get Lavia?
Bajcetic or Jones will have to cover there, both are older (or same age) but have played more games at a bigger PL club than Lavia has.

Then we have Mac Allister who is so intelligent he can do that role. Finally we have Thiago if his battered body can squeeze in 15-20 games this season.

None are ideal but hardly the disaster everyone is predicting.

cyberman

Bajcetic or Jones will have to cover there, both are older (or same age) but have played more games at a bigger PL club than Lavia has.

Then we have Mac Allister who is so intelligent he can do that role. Finally we have Thiago if his battered body can squeeze in 15-20 games this season.

…this is fine…

bringbackbebe

We still didn't reinvest the funds.
I remember Fergie mentioned we're going to be ripped off in the transfer market if we buy players that season, so didn't want to reinvest. The fact that we came close to winning the league and won a few more leagues till SAF's retirement is a testament to his team capability analysis. It's similar to Klopp here - they've invested 40m net for the previous 6 seasons. Take Klopp out and they'll be battling mid table with Chelsea.

…this is fine…
:lol:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

Carragher has you top 3, Phil McNulty (BBC) has you 2nd. Are you as optimistic?

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Carragher has you top 3, Phil McNulty (BBC) has you 2nd. Are you as optimistic?
Honestly, the times we get fecked are large scale injuries. That season where VvD among all our defenders were out together. Then last season where Jota AND Diaz were injured along with Curtis Jones (Thiago, Ox, Keita, etc) and we had no cover (tight FSG, we're not Man City or Chelsea where we can stockpile replacements on the bench).

If we don't hit those levels of injuries, and hopefully we won't as we have a much more relaxed season, i.e. no expectation to go toe to toe with City up to 99 points and no CL to worry about so Thursdays and Sundays should be a stroll, then I don't see any manager or team better than Klopp and Klopp's other than City. I fully expect and hope we finish second even if we don't get a DM. As long as there are no major injuries, that's my only proviso.

TLDR; I'm wumming. Ignore the above.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
They are going to be involved in some absolutely wild games this season. They look stacked in attack, but once you get to DM and below.... sheesh.

justsomebloke

I don't see a lot of people predicting disaster (at least not outside of this board), is that really a widespread sentiment among Liverpool supporters? For my part I think it's reasonable to expect improvement on last season. But I also think a title challenge looks like overreach, and that you'd have to assume that the level of turnover in a key area brings a fairly significant uncertainty to the situation. Just replacing what Henderson and Milner brought on the leadership front (with TAA of all people as vice captain!) must be considered a pretty big change, especially considering that the attack was also very extensively reconfigured during the past 18 months, and has hardly fully bedded in yet.