Liverpool are the luckiest club in the league and it will never end

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
This lot have been looking for special treatment for years. Didn't UEFA change rules for them to the detriment of Everton in 2005?
No. Everton went through the CL qualifying rounds without any change. They just weren't able to qualify.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think because it is a genuine error and not something subjective like handball or red card tackle.
If it was against United it wouldn't have gotten the sympathy but still a lot of coverage.
I don’t see the difference in genuineness of an offside (where there is the issue of angles involved etc) and a two footed lunge or a clear hand ball. The main difference seems to be in the reaction of the club and their puppets in the media.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
because the season was literally over when it was revealed
There were no cries for a replay when the game was played either. Shortly after the game Mike Dean openly admitted he royally fecked up as the VAR and it was just shrugged off as 'shit happens'.

It was only later when he admitted to actually fixing the outcome to protect his mate Anthony Taylor but even before that the mistake was already just as bad as the one last weekend.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
No. Everton went through the CL qualifying rounds without any change. They just weren't able to qualify.
The rules were however changed for them - back then, England was meant to have 4 teams, and there was an initial suggestion that Liverpool might take Everton's spot, but in the end both could. The rules were then amended for the future:
The UEFA Executive Committee also amended the regulations for future competitions so that the holders would have the right to defend their title and therefore qualify automatically, though at the expense of the lowest placed team in those countries that had more than one qualifier.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
There were no cries for a replay when the game was played either. Shortly after the game Mike Dean openly admitted he royally fecked up as the VAR and it was just shrugged off as 'shit happens'.

It was only later when he admitted to actually fixing the outcome to protect his mate Anthony Taylor but even before that the mistake was already just as bad as the one last weekend.
To be honest, what is wrong here is how that hasn't generated moreso outcry. It's genuinely scandalous.

pair that with the matey dialogue in the released audio and it's clear that refereeing culture is far too chummy and insular. It's the same matey atmosphere that fuelled England's sloppiness and Dean's deliberate unprofessionalism. They need a far more professional dialogue and distance with each other.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
https://www.independent.ie/sport/so...le-under-uefa-rules-loophole/a2035030871.html

Miguel Delaney :lol:

An absolute embarrasment. So many journalists have let their masks slip this past week.
What a pointless article - makes a headline, first paragraph:
A replay of Tottenham Hotspur-Liverpool would be possible under Uefa competition rules over incorrect application of laws, rather than an outright mistake, and the European governing body do allow clubs to submit protests - albeit within 12 hours of the game finishing.
So actually not at all a loophole, and actually not at all possible.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don’t see the difference in genuineness of an offside (where there is the issue of angles involved etc) and a two footed lunge or a clear hand ball. The main difference seems to be in the reaction of the club and their puppets in the media.
Its the unprecedented argument I find funny. Inexplicable human error with VAR is not unprecedented at all. Its a weekly occurence in the PL. Deliberate human error (which is much worse) is also entirely precedented as it has been openly admitted to.

Its entirely precedented even if you narrow it down to "wrongly disallowed offside because the VAR officials decided not to use VAR properly in a game involving Liverpool FC" Because this exact thing cost Wolves a goal against Liverpool last season. The only differences were a) Wolves weren't playing with 9 men, b) They didn't accidentally score for the other team, c) the goal was in the last minute and WOULD have won Wolves the game and d) It cost Wolves a place in the FA cup, not 1 point away to Spurs IF the entire rest of the game had panned out exactly the same for some completely illogical reason.

always_hoping

Lucky once again, routine save and the keeper makes a meal of it to put them 1-0 in front tonight.

Dr. StrangeHate

They could have waited a week before giving Liverpool everything but they just had to start straight away. To be fair if the referee hadn't given that he would have had another letter from Liverpool and dropped from refereeing.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They could have waited a week before giving Liverpool everything but they just had to start straight away. To be fair if the referee hadn't given that he would have had another letter from Liverpool and dropped from refereeing.
It was a foul but I thought the yellow was harsh. He barely touched him.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
That's not one of the more extreme examples of Liverpool favouritism but you can certainly find plenty of examples where 2 yellows weren't given for similar fouls.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It's probably a second yellow but Liverpool's histrionics have ensured that every shred of doubt is removed when it comes to decisions now. Refs will side with them because if they don't, they'll be sent down to the Championship and thus could lose their "marquee status" as a big time ref and may miss out on those lucrative Middle East foxers. It all snowballs.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
That's not one of the more extreme examples of Liverpool favouritism but you can certainly find plenty of examples where 2 yellows weren't given for similar fouls.
If Young goes then Konate needs to

Dr. StrangeHate

If Young goes then Konate needs to
I haven't watched the game since the red but it seems they got a penalty and allowed Konate to stay. Does that make it even for Liverpool and we get to have no favouritism for Liverpool from now on or are we in for a long season?

Lost bear

I haven't watched the game since the red but it seems they got a penalty and allowed Konate to stay. Does that make it even for Liverpool and we get to have no favouritism for Liverpool from now on or are we in for a long season?
We’re in for a long season.

desertegil

Supports
ODDs Ballklubb
Other than not giving Konate his second yellow I think the refs did a decent job here. The penalty was about as clear as a handball can be.

PaudieG91

Supports
Liverpool
Other than not giving Konate his second yellow I think the refs did a decent job here. The penalty was about as clear as a handball can be.
Konate should have been off. But you don't expect anything than that from Premier League referees. It's at Anfield. I'll admit that.

Great to win. Big win. The early kick off and a Derby was always going to be tough. Top of the table for an hour or two I'll take it.

always_hoping

Didn't watch the game but I see they played over an hour against a 10 man Everton. Needed a penalty in the 75th minute to take the lead and sealed the win with another goal in the 8th minute of added time.

Zora

Some of you guys are legitimately insane.
I agree with you.

What a way to spend your weekend, analysing every little refereeing performance for another team.

On top of that, actually spending two hours of your Saturday watching a Liverpool match.

Give your heads a wobble.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Konate should have been off. But you don't expect anything than that from Premier League referees. It's at Anfield. I'll admit that.

Great to win. Big win. The early kick off and a Derby was always going to be tough. Top of the table for an hour or two I'll take it.
Yeah think this is fair.

cafecillos

An opposition player sent off with one hour to go, and a penalty on the 75 minute just in case. Not bad for the first match after Spurs. But this has only just begun.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Konate should possibly have walked but the ref/var called everything else correctly.

cafecillos

Konate should possibly have walked but the ref/var called everything else correctly.
Yes, we will not see something ridiculous every matchday, probably, but they will get every conceivable "correct" call "correctly" made in their favour, and not a single dubious one against them.

cafecillos

This thread is embarrassing.
Nah, the only embarrassment in all this is Liverpool institutionally throwing their toys out of the pram due to an incorrect VAR decision. I know they thought that was impossible, that's exactly why they felt so aggravated, but still, such a cringeworthy tantrum.

always_hoping

I agree with you.

What a way to spend your weekend, analysing every little refereeing performance for another team.

On top of that, actually spending two hours of your Saturday watching a Liverpool match.

Give your heads a wobble.
Have encouraged plenty on here for a number of seasons to not bother watching lucky Liverpool in action, what's to gain by watching their games, to become annoyed further by how lucky they are?

Lost bear

Have encouraged plenty on here for a number of seasons to not bother watching lucky Liverpool in action, what's to gain by watching their games, to become annoyed further by how lucky they are?
Somehow there’s a certain pleasure in it.

jasT1981

It was a penalty no doubt, the problem is inconsistancy. How often have we seen the exact same turned down this season already?

It really should have been a 2nd yellow for Konate.