Liverpool are the worst defending champions in Premier League history

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
All jokes aside, I'd put money on them to finish above us next year. Both teams have very good players but Klopp is better than Ole. They should finish above us for sure. Even with a few injuries, the squad should be planned and prepared better.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
All jokes aside, I'd put money on them to finish above us next year. Both teams have very good players but Klopp is better than Ole. They should finish above us for sure. Even with a few injuries, the squad should be planned and prepared better.
I’ll Take that bet, we finish above them next season.

Member 101269

Are you counting of VVD coming back at the same level, while their squad is older and further past it’s peak and no money.. while ours will not get better as the players more towards peak years

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Let’s stop and watch the mgr imo who will eventually have more silverware than anyone previous or in the future lift his trophy.

Bubz27

Are you counting of VVD coming back at the same level, while their squad is older and further past it’s peak and no money.. while ours will not get better as the players more towards peak years
;)

Bubz27

Let’s stop and watch the mgr imo who will eventually have more silverware than anyone previous or in the future lift his trophy.
Oh I see. Good effort.

BorisDeLeFora

Two ways to look at it, relative to the start of the season it's a woeful season, relative to the past 4 months it's a great season.

TheLiverBird

Needing a run of consistency to get anywhere near having a shot at getting top 4 by going unbeaten in our last 10 matches winning 8 of them to finish 3rd......after a poor season.....I’ll bloody take it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

we were counted out several weeks back

today we saw the Leagues longest serving top 4 Club crash out too 5th place, and Chelsea fall below a poor Liverpool into 4th :lol:

I’m delighted and also amused at their expense

I’ll take 3rd all day long after our TOTAL collapse from January

Cheers

Red Star One

The idea of defending a title was gone in winter, which makes it a very bad title defense. 4/10 season for them. Bad, not tragic. They need a big summer to challenge for a trophy next year

BorisDeLeFora

They were top in December.
Fair, but that was never gonna keep when they started playing Phillips and Williams.
They're at least 10 points behind where they should be, but there was also a time when they looked like they'd finish behind West Ham.

Frank Sinatra Fan

Quality control
Hard to imagine just over a year ago some were talking about this Liverpool team possibly being the best in PL history.
Truly great sides retain titles.

Also yes people were suggesting they were possibly the best PL side ever.
Indeed, they're not even close to a treble winning team that went onto win 3 titles in a row.
Last season this lot were compared to our treble winners. :lol:
Was always a joke - glad it's been confirmed. Ridiculous comparison.
They truly are the greatest side of all time. Forget the invincibles, centurions and treble winners/double ‘three-peaters’.
This is still their year.
Pitiful display from the so called “Greatest PL team ever” scraping into the top 4 on the last day.
Liverpool had 97 points in 2019 (insane by any critery, even Mourinho' Chelsea had "only" 95, Wenger's Arsnal had 90, United in 2008 had 90, only Liverpool in 2020 and City in 2018 and 2019 had more points that Liverpool 2019 in all PL history) and 99 points in 2020. They were unlucky to have City make 98 in 2019. Liverpool only lost one game in that season, against City. And won the UCL in that season anyway. So, both 2019 and 2020 were truly spectacular seasons for Liverpool.

Anyway, Liverpool this season has nothing to do with how good they were in previous seasons. Even if they were relegated, they still would have been a great team in the 2019 and 2020 seasons, simple as that. Liverpool 2018-2020 is one of the best english teams ever.

If anyone said they were the greatest english team ever, they were in minority.
You guys are inventing a narrative to play victim. I never saw anyone saying this aside from here and a few commentors who shouldn't be taken seriously. And I surely never saw anyone hype them as best team ever!

I really don't get how the users here try to downplay Liverpool's 97 points in 2019. If it was United that had 97 points, but lost the title to a City that had 98 points, the talk here would be completely opposite and say that they were unlucky to not make a double at least. I consider the 2008 United team superior to the 1999 team despite not winning the treble. And I consider Barcelona 2011 to be better than Barcelona 2009 despite not winning the treble.

Also, Klopp's Liverpool in the two previous seasons were clearly better than the Invincibles. Liverpool did everything that Wenger did, but better, the sole exception being that Liverpool wasn't able to remain unbeaten throughout an entire season. Liverpool won the UCL and had 97 and 99 points in two PL seasons, that can be no accident or freaky one-off. Wenger's Arsenal doesn't come close to such high levels. And they never defended a PL title either, since that is the argument that some people here are using to knock Liverpool and pretend they weren't amazing in the previous two seasons. Liverpool also had years without losing at Anfield.

I love Guardiola and that's why I want City to retain the title. But the shitty takes by some users here really make me want the next season to be as terrible as possible for United. I want United to lose against Villarreal in the UEL in this season. I want City to win the UCL final against Chelsea. I want City and Liverpool to be top two next season. And I want the next UCL final to be Liverpool vs. City.
Woah, relax man. I'm shifting the pressure on to them. Surely Jürgen Klopp should be finishing above PE teachers regularly.
How can you guys still doubt that Klopp is an amazing coach?
Carragher should be strung up by his Travellers for that United 99 - Liverpool 20 team monstrosity. These lot are a bunch of bed wetting bellends
They were hailed as mentality monsters before this season, specially after they turned things around against Barcelona and how they fought until the last minute in so many PL victories in previous seasons.
Liverpool's peak is done.
Maybe, but I wouldn't be 100% sure yet. People said that about City earlier in the season. Let's see how Liverpool does next season.

wise_old_man

To be fair, I remember quite a few people on here thinking some of our core players (Rashford, Cavani, Martial, Fred...) have already reached their supposed "peak".
The youngsters Greenwood, Elanga, Shoretire, Hannibal, Amad...are far too young to reach their peak as early as next season.

Ananke

the shitty takes by some users here really make me want the next season to be as terrible as possible for United. I want United to lose against Villarreal in the UEL in this season. I want City to win the UCL final against Chelsea. I want City and Liverpool to be top two next season. And I want the next UCL final to be Liverpool vs. City.
You're on the wrong forum pal.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Liverpool had 97 points in 2019 (insane by any critery, even Mourinho' Chelsea had "only" 95, Wenger's Arsnal had 90, United in 2008 had 90, only Liverpool in 2020 and City in 2018 and 2019 had more points that Liverpool 2019 in all PL history) and 99 points in 2020. They were unlucky to have City make 98 in 2019. Liverpool only lost one game in that season, against City. And won the UCL in that season anyway. So, both 2019 and 2020 were truly spectacular seasons for Liverpool.

Anyway, Liverpool this season has nothing to do with how good they were in previous seasons. Even if they were relegated, they still would have been a great team in the 2019 and 2020 seasons, simple as that. Liverpool 2018-2020 is one of the best english teams ever.

You guys are inventing a narrative to play victim. I never saw anyone saying this aside from here and a few commentors who shouldn't be taken seriously. And I surely never saw anyone hype them as best team ever!

I really don't get how the users here try to downplay Liverpool's 97 points in 2019. If it was United that had 97 points, but lost the title to a City that had 98 points, the talk here would be completely opposite and say that they were unlucky to not make a double at least. I consider the 2008 United team superior to the 1999 team despite not winning the treble. And I consider Barcelona 2011 to be better than Barcelona 2009 despite not winning the treble.

Also, Klopp's Liverpool in the two previous seasons were clearly better than the Invincibles. Liverpool did everything that Wenger did, but better, the sole exception being that Liverpool wasn't able to remain unbeaten throughout an entire season. Liverpool won the UCL and had 97 and 99 points in two PL seasons, that can be no accident or freaky one-off. Wenger's Arsenal doesn't come close to such high levels. And they never defended a PL title either, since that is the argument that some people here are using to knock Liverpool and pretend they weren't amazing in the previous two seasons. Liverpool also had years without losing at Anfield.

I love Guardiola and that's why I want City to retain the title. But the shitty takes by some users here really make me want the next season to be as terrible as possible for United. I want United to lose against Villarreal in the UEL in this season. I want City to win the UCL final against Chelsea. I want City and Liverpool to be top two next season. And I want the next UCL final to be Liverpool vs. City.

They were hailed as mentality monsters before this season, specially after they turned things around against Barcelona and how they fought until the last minute in so many PL victories in previous seasons.

Maybe, but I wouldn't be 100% sure yet. People said that about City earlier in the season. Let's see how Liverpool does next season.
:lol: What a joke of a post this is capped off by this wonderful bit of a buffoonery.

TheReligion

Abusive
From PL winners, and arguing about being the best ever PL team to anyone who would listen, to scraping the top 4 trophy and celebrating it from the rooftops.

Funny old game.

Do they realise they're on the same level as Leicester?

Cloud7

Annoying that after all the stumbles throughout the season that Pool and Juventus still qualify for the CL. Boring capitulation from Leicester and Napoli.

stevoc

Not reading all this shit mate. Condense your ramblings.

Josh 76

Can’t believe the BBC (website) have done a tribute to Liverpool’s last 10 games on how they achieved CL football.

So cringeworthy !

BrownRecluse

Supports
Liverpool
How are people saying they’re the worst champions for finishing 3rd? Where did United finish the season after their last title? 2014 season, ended up 7th. Stuff happens in football and I think 3rd is pretty good for playing a majority of the games with midfielders in defense and new bloods.

TheReligion

Abusive
How are people saying they’re the worst champions for finishing 3rd? Where did United finish the season after their last title? 2014 season, ended up 7th. Stuff happens in football and I think 3rd is pretty good for playing a majority of the games with midfielders in defense and new bloods.
You're a Liverpool fan so why are you saying 'they'…?

TheLiverBird

It gave them the self-belief to win the rest of their games. I reckon they would’ve crumbled if they’d dropped points to West Brom. So lucky.
Sometimes one has to have the courage and conviction to make their own luck

Having luck and making luck are 2 separate things

Success is riddled with people, sportsmen/women and teams making their own luck in their profession

desertegil

Supports
ODDs Ballklubb
Since the league changed to 20 teams/38 games per season this was the 6th worst title defence (of 25) in terms of points total finish below the "new" champions. Liverpool finished 17 points behind champions Man City.

The 5 worst would be ;

1. Leicester in 16/17 --> finishing 49 points behind Chelsea.
2. Chelsea in 15/16 --> finishing 31 points behind Leicester.
3. Chelsea in 17/18 --> finishing 30 points behind Man City.
4. Man Utd in 13/14 --> finishing 22 points behind Man City.
5. Man City in 19/20 --> finishing 18 points behind Liverpool.

Reactions: Sultan