Liverpool are the worst defending champions in Premier League history

Zlaatan

Parody Account
But the shitty takes by some users here really make me want the next season to be as terrible as possible for United. I want United to lose against Villarreal in the UEL in this season. I want City to win the UCL final against Chelsea. I want City and Liverpool to be top two next season. And I want the next UCL final to be Liverpool vs. City.
If this is how you react to those "shitty takes" then I suggest you never visit RAWK or Bluemoon if you want Liverpool and City to do well. You'd probably want both of those clubs to never win a game of football ever again if you did.

always_hoping

Can’t believe the BBC (website) have done a tribute to Liverpool’s last 10 games on how they achieved CL football.

So cringeworthy !
Full of cringe indeed.

After winning the title last season with 5 games to spare the minimum requirement for Liverpool this season was a top 4 place. They needed the last weekend of the season to sneek in and finished 30 points off their 2019/20 total so nothing to shout about or making articles about it as BBC have.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
It was that Alisson goal that got them top four.
If you mean as a boost to see us through till the end, fair enough. But in principle we'd still have finished third if he didn't score that goal.

EDIT: Just read your post below, never mind then.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Some of their supporters have been celebrating like they won the league again.

One guy at work actually brought cakes in to celebrate getting 3rd place. I told him I wouldn't be touching them.

They won the league last season and now they are celebrating 3rd.

Small time cnuts :lol:

Frank Sinatra Fan

If this is how you react to those "shitty takes" then I suggest you never visit RAWK or Bluemoon if you want Liverpool and City to do well. You'd probably want both of those clubs to never win a game of football ever again if you did.
You're right. I still can't quite fully deal with the amount of shitty takes in internet.
How have you come to that conclusion from what I said?
I made a mistake, sorry.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I also know some Liverpool fans in person who are making a big deal out of their club finishing 3rd as if it was some amazing achievement (the defending champions with the 2nd highest wage bill in the league finished 3rd, wow), and making out as if they were the only team in footballing history to suffer from injury problems.

After the late win against Tottenham and then 7-0 win away to Palace in mid-December, many people expected them to pull away and win the title at a relative canter, but they did exactly the opposite and collapsed.

They're still clearly the biggest underachievers in Premier League history. They're the 2nd biggest club in England, but you can still count on one hand the number of times that they've realistically challenged for the title (5 times) during the last 30 seasons, in 2001/2002, 2008/2009, 2013/2014, 2018/2019 and 2019/2020. That's poor to be honest.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Full of cringe indeed.

After winning the title last season with 5 games to spare the minimum requirement for Liverpool this season was a top 4 place. They needed the last weekend of the season to sneek in and finished 30 points off their 2019/20 total so nothing to shout about or making articles about it as BBC have.
It’s not that we made third or gained European qualification. It’s the way it was done and the timing. We were dead and buried after Newcastle. Beating united put a lot of hope back into supporters that not only did we have a chance but we might have returned to our normal dominant selves after a brutal year. Winning out the rest of our games only gave more confidence that perhaps we were indeed back to our best. Allison’s goal with what he’s been going through just added more drama. We still needed a result or so we thought going into Sunday and when that was achieved of course there was reason to celebrate. How could you possibly not get that.
What I can’t understand is why would you care or be upset that Liverpool made it into the top four. For some reason it really hit a nerve for no good reason. After all we’re no threat in Europe after being such terrible title defenders.

always_hoping

It’s not that we made third or gained European qualification. It’s the way it was done and the timing. We were dead and buried after Newcastle. Beating united put a lot of hope back into supporters that not only did we have a chance but we might have returned to our normal dominant selves after a brutal year. Winning out the rest of our games only gave more confidence that perhaps we were indeed back to our best. Allison’s goal with what he’s been going through just added more drama. We still needed a result or so we thought going into Sunday and when that was achieved of course there was reason to celebrate. How could you possibly not get that.
What I can’t understand is why would you care or be upset that Liverpool made it into the top four. For some reason it really hit a nerve for no good reason. After all we’re no threat in Europe after being such terrible title defenders.
I have a lot more important things in life to be getting upset about than Liverpool achieving their minimum target.

My reply was directed towards the agreement of the BBC cringe article. Spare me the dramatics, United finished 3rd last season in simliar fashion when they looked dead and buried and weren't a defending champion team but I don't recall any cringe articles praising that "achievement" instead most of the talk was about the collapse by Leicester and how Lampard did better with Chelsea even though they finished 4th.

TheLiverBird

I also know some Liverpool fans in person who are making a big deal out of their club finishing 3rd as if it was some amazing achievement (the defending champions with the 2nd highest wage bill in the league finished 3rd, wow), and making out as if they were the only team in footballing history to suffer from injury problems.

After the late win against Tottenham and then 7-0 win away to Palace in mid-December, many people expected them to pull away and win the title at a relative canter, but they did exactly the opposite and collapsed.

They're still clearly the biggest underachievers in Premier League history. They're the 2nd biggest club in England, but you can still count on one hand the number of times that they've realistically challenged for the title (5 times) during the last 30 seasons, in 2001/2002, 2008/2009, 2013/2014, 2018/2019 and 2019/2020. That's poor to be honest.
Clearly

:lol::lol::lol:

deluded

Cast5

Clearly

:lol::lol::lol:

deluded
You are, 1 league title in 30 years for the second biggest club in England is embarrassing. When United went 26 years without winning it, not one United fan would have disagreed with someone calling us underachievers. Quite funny that you’re calling someone else deluded :lol:

ShinjiNinja26

Liverpool had 97 points in 2019 (insane by any critery, even Mourinho' Chelsea had "only" 95, Wenger's Arsnal had 90, United in 2008 had 90, only Liverpool in 2020 and City in 2018 and 2019 had more points that Liverpool 2019 in all PL history) and 99 points in 2020. They were unlucky to have City make 98 in 2019. Liverpool only lost one game in that season, against City. And won the UCL in that season anyway. So, both 2019 and 2020 were truly spectacular seasons for Liverpool.

Anyway, Liverpool this season has nothing to do with how good they were in previous seasons. Even if they were relegated, they still would have been a great team in the 2019 and 2020 seasons, simple as that. Liverpool 2018-2020 is one of the best english teams ever.

If anyone said they were the greatest english team ever, they were in minority.
You guys are inventing a narrative to play victim. I never saw anyone saying this aside from here and a few commentors who shouldn't be taken seriously. And I surely never saw anyone hype them as best team ever!

I really don't get how the users here try to downplay Liverpool's 97 points in 2019. If it was United that had 97 points, but lost the title to a City that had 98 points, the talk here would be completely opposite and say that they were unlucky to not make a double at least. I consider the 2008 United team superior to the 1999 team despite not winning the treble. And I consider Barcelona 2011 to be better than Barcelona 2009 despite not winning the treble.

Also, Klopp's Liverpool in the two previous seasons were clearly better than the Invincibles. Liverpool did everything that Wenger did, but better, the sole exception being that Liverpool wasn't able to remain unbeaten throughout an entire season. Liverpool won the UCL and had 97 and 99 points in two PL seasons, that can be no accident or freaky one-off. Wenger's Arsenal doesn't come close to such high levels. And they never defended a PL title either, since that is the argument that some people here are using to knock Liverpool and pretend they weren't amazing in the previous two seasons. Liverpool also had years without losing at Anfield.

I love Guardiola and that's why I want City to retain the title. But the shitty takes by some users here really make me want the next season to be as terrible as possible for United. I want United to lose against Villarreal in the UEL in this season. I want City to win the UCL final against Chelsea. I want City and Liverpool to be top two next season. And I want the next UCL final to be Liverpool vs. City.

How can you guys still doubt that Klopp is an amazing coach?

They were hailed as mentality monsters before this season, specially after they turned things around against Barcelona and how they fought until the last minute in so many PL victories in previous seasons.

Maybe, but I wouldn't be 100% sure yet. People said that about City earlier in the season. Let's see how Liverpool does next season.
You know what to do then. Do us all a favour and take yourself over to RAWK or Bluemoon, I’m sure you’d fit right in over there.

TheLiverBird

You are, 1 league title in 30 years for the second biggest club in England is embarrassing. When United went 26 years without winning it, not one United fan would have disagreed with someone calling us underachievers. Quite funny that you’re calling someone else deluded :lol:
In all fairness I must have read his post wrong

I thought he was taking about biggest under achievement in an EPL season

my bad :lol:

UpWithRivers

Biggest failure of our season was to not beat them and knock them out of the Champions league.

Ekeke

Nat Philips was a revelation for them in the 2nd half of the season. 3 games before the new year and 17 after, playing well during their strong run. Conceded 15 goals in the 20 games he played in the league and champions league with him scoring 1 goal. Really strong in the air and should be in contention for England with Stones and Maguire

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Biggest failure of our season was to not beat them and knock them out of the Champions league.
Yep.
That "little protest" really did work marvellously in their favour.

No chance we'd have lost to them in the original game, and that would have most likely seen them screwed.

mancsarered

Just thinking about shocking title defenses, how does 2015/16 Chelsea not come up every time?

Title holders finished 10th, 31 points off Leicester, and sacked their most successful manager...

Trophy Room

I think they did well given their defensive injuries. We sometimes underestimate the importance of such losses. VVD was a huge loss to them and we would have suffered equally or worse if the roles were reversed.

They will challenge again next season and whoever finishes above them could very well win the league. We would have beaten them at home this season if the game wasn't cancelled because of the protest - funny way how things turn out - in this case, it worked in their favour.