Liverpool vs Chelsea

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Ffs! Whats the point? He isn't the answer to our problems. Our form will not change when Manè returns.
He isn't? He's been masking your shit defense all season with his brilliance. He's just the sort of attacking player that gives our defense fits.

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
He isn't? He's been masking your shit defense all season with his brilliance. He's just the sort of attacking player that gives our defense fits.
Have you seen us play in Janurary? There's no way this is all down to Manè. I WISH our problems were as simple as 'we miss Manè'. That would be such a nice simple problem to have. Just wait till Manè comes back. Simple.

But it's not. Teams have realised that if they try to score against us they will get pressed like hell. So what do they do?
Sit back let us have the ball and hit on the break. Then you don't have to deal with this so called gegenpress.

We struggle to break down teams who sit behind the ball. We lack creativity.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
We struggle to break down teams who sit behind the ball. We lack creativity.
Hence why you've been missing him si badly. He's the only player you have with the ability to run at the defence and beat a couple players.

Your biggest problem right now is the lack of confidence though, that's for sure. Not sure Mane will be enough to steer the boat right away. Especially given how he went out in the afcon

IrishRedDevil

I hope Chelsea pull their pants down.

Mane is a very good player but he isn't a saviour. Let's not forget they failed to beat Sunderland and Bournemouth when Mane was playing.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Sad scenes when the return of Mane is set to make Liverpool all-conquering once more. Pretty sure the same was said about Coutinho, Matip etc. I mean he's a good player, but hardly world class and there's a touch of Lucas-esque desperation about Pool fans at the moment (who became the league's best defensive midfielder the more he was injured).

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Mane won't start. I saw something on Twitter saying there's a 5 day period following his countries exit from an international tournament that prevents a player returning for his club.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Sad scenes when the return of Mane is set to make Liverpool all-conquering once more. Pretty sure the same was said about Coutinho, Matip etc. I mean he's a good player, but hardly world class and there's a touch of Lucas-esque desperation about Pool fans at the moment (who became the league's best defensive midfielder the more he was injured).
It's only being said because our win percentage with Mane is very impressive compared to our win percentage without him.

We might struggle when he comes back, or we might start performing well again. He's the only player we have win any pace so it stands to reason that he might make a difference to how we play against packed defences.

carlosp

"On the edge" is used in a different sense. Though some non native speakers might use both phrases in the same sense.
@Bepi

'On the edge' usually means it can go either way.

'In the corner' could mean stuck in the corner which for a rat or dog could mean you have to be careful because they can still bite.

A better term would be 'back against the wall'. Meaning for Klopp it would mean it's going against him.

Treble_Winning

Would be glorious if Liverpool didn't just lose but got thumped by 3 or more goals.
LOL. That won't happen. The game is being played at Anfield and not Stamford Bridge. It is hard to envisage Liverpool losing to any team by that margin at home. It will likely be a draw, as Liverpool will raise their game and Mane will be back. And Chelsea will think that they can afford to lose this game. So it points to a draw which is the best possible result from a UTD perspective. We are likely to cut both teams' lead over us as long as we don't screw up our own game.

msudip060

Supports
Chelsea
Tough game.

Depends on which Liverpool team turns up.Even without Mane they "can" be dangerous but the question is whether they "will" be. If Chelsea decide to cede possession and let Pool create and Chelsea hit them on the counter, i can see a draw at worst.Their defence is a shambles and Pedro,Costa,Haz are in some terrific form and have been cutting through teams on the counter all season. I think Klopp needs to change his style a bit for this game and throw in a surprise or two since gegenpressing isn't really working against packed defences and midfield.As for Chelsea, we are doing well with the current tactics and if we are clinical in front of goal(like we have been mostly) then i only see one winner eventhough it's at Anfield.

Peanut Butter

LOL. That won't happen. The game is being played at Anfield and not Stamford Bridge. It is hard to envisage Liverpool losing to any team by that margin at home. It will likely be a draw, as Liverpool will raise their game and Mane will be back. And Chelsea will think that they can afford to lose this game. So it points to a draw which is the best possible result from a UTD perspective. We are likely to cut both teams' lead over us as long as we don't screw up our own game.
We aren't catching Chelsea mate. Don't do it to yourself. Chelsea thumping Liverpool is the best outcome for Utd fans. They drop yet more points, they continue to struggle and we catch up with them.

Peanut Butter

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Don't really care about United's ‘almost impossible mission’ to win the title, I want Liverpool to win against Chelsea. I think we might profit from the tension of an all can win it situation, despite having potentially a lot more games to play.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Liverpool will win which much like when Spurs beat Chelsea does nothing for us

Rafateria

Mane won't start. I saw something on Twitter saying there's a 5 day period following his countries exit from an international tournament that prevents a player returning for his club.
That was Twatter .. we won't be sending him on a private plane only to then sit in the stands. At worst on the bench I'd venture but he's fit and will have had 3 days rest ... it's no more than a hop, skip and a jump back from Gabon and in virtually (if not) the same time zone so no jetlag issues whatsoever. His mental state is the only reason I can see him on the bench and not starting, but then only the coaching staff can assess that. Personally I think he'll start.

Rafateria

........................ Mignolet

Clyne ...... Matip ............ Lovren ...... Milner

...................... Henderson
................................ Wijnaldum

................... Lallana

Mane ............... Firmino .......... Coutinho

Is what I'd wager will be the starting line-up if all fit for duty, and at this stage it seems they are.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Can't see anything but a Liverpool win here, this is a classic Liverpool game-raising fixture. They have got very, very lucky getting Mane back this early, and he will be the difference in the remaining games of the season. So much negativity surrounding them this last week, making them even more up for this one. 2-0 Liverpool at least I think.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
A draw the best outcome for sure but I prefer Chelsea to lose this to give their confidence another kick and put more pressure on for their game with Arsenal at the weekend.

It's been 6 years since Arsenal got anything at the Bridge and 14 years since they've done the double over them so there's no better time for it.

Anything to stop Chelsea is a win for us!

Francoruud

Supports
Chelsea
A draw the best outcome for sure but I prefer Chelsea to lose this to give their confidence another kick and put more pressure on for their game with Arsenal at the weekend.

It's been 6 years since Arsenal got anything at the Bridge and 14 years since they've done the double over them so there's no better time for it.

Anything to stop Chelsea is a win for us!
More chance of me having a date with the Queen than Arsenal beating Chelsea at the Bridge next weekend.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Pretty sure Klopp will change his tactics for this one - similar to how he did vs City a month ago. Wouldn't be surprised to see a midfield 3 of Can, Wijnaldum and Henderson. Mane on the bench.

SirAF

Ageist
Two massive games for us this. Hopefully Liverpool and Arsenal will drop three points each while we win.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
10 Premier League games being played mid-week - and this is the ONLY one being shown on TV.

:wenger:

EDIT: oh, and City v West Ham. Still, why can't they put more on

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

They're so desperate they're willing to risk the health of their best player. :lol:
Risking his health? FFS :lol: There's a one hour time difference with Gabon and sleeping in a private jet is as comfy as it gets, so in no way are we risking his health by bringing him back asap.

He won't play though and rightfully so, he can't possibly be ready mentally to participate in such an important game. It must be so nice having players like Hazard who just don't care about defeats.

Doofus

Supports
Liverpool
A week ago I was really looking forward to this game, but now I am dreading it. Chelsea aren't desperate to win, so you just know they'll copy the tactic that has easily beaten us in the last 3 games. Play deep and attack on the counter. Only this time it's Chelsea, with the likes of Hazard, Willian, Pedro and Costa breaking away.

The only way we'll get a result here is if we play deeper and conservatively like we did against City, as opposed to setting up camp in their half.

The underlying glimmer of hope still shines within me though, when I think back to how Spurs dismantled them. It would be great if we could do something similar.

JohnZSmith27

A Liverpool loss would be ideal here. As many have said, there's no chance of us catching Chelsea so we just need the other 4 above us to drop points.

Klopp has a great record against the top teams but they're looking really shaky at the moment. They'll need Chelsea to have an off day to get anything out of this imo.

Francoruud

Supports
Chelsea
Risking his health? FFS :lol: There's a one hour time difference with Gabon and sleeping in a private jet is as comfy as it gets, so in no way are we risking his health by bringing him back asap.

He won't play though and rightfully so, he can't possibly be ready mentally to participate in such an important game. It must be so nice having players like Hazard who just don't care about defeats.
That's one way to look at it I guess.

Or you could also say it must be nice to have players who pick themselves back up pretty quickly and go again. I'm not sure what's a better indicator of mental frailty than a player's form dropping badly because of one painful loss.

A week ago I was really looking forward to this game, but now I am dreading it. Chelsea aren't desperate to win, so you just know they'll copy the tactic that has easily beaten us in the last 3 games. Play deep and attack on the counter. Only this time it's Chelsea, with the likes of Hazard, Willian, Pedro and Costa breaking away.

The only way we'll get a result here is if we play deeper and conservatively like we did against City, as opposed to setting up camp in their half.

The underlying glimmer of hope still shines within me though, when I think back to how Spurs dismantled them. It would be great if we could do something similar.
Spurs had to play an absolutely excellent game that day to win and we still could have gotten something from the game. Oh and there's also the small factor of Spurs having played a 3-4-3 because they had 3 good CBs, 2 powerful and pacy wing backs who are great both in attack and defense and 2 midfield work horses. They had the personnel to match us.

Milner is hardly Danny Rose. Clyne or whoever's going to play RB for you is hardly Kyle Walker. You don't have Wanyama and Dembele either. You can't play a 3-4-3 against us. You simply do not have the personnel and Spurs didn't just play it overnight against us either. They'd been playing it in the 3-4 games before that and I think they'd played it a few times last season as well. You aren't going to beat us by suddenly playing that system in training 3 days to a match when we've been at it ourselves all season.

And if you don't match us, then the extra man advantage we have will be your undoing.

Also, any attempt at pressing us in our own half will result in a win for us.

You've pointed out that playing deeper and conservatively is the way to go and I couldn't agree more. That's the way I see Liverpool winning. No matter how good you play, any other tactic won't result in less than a draw for us imo.

Then again, I could be wildly wrong. Liverpool do seem to really get up for big games. Here's hoping you find your motivation against Spurs rather than against us.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Or you could also say it must be nice to have players who pick themselves back up pretty quickly and go again. I'm not sure what's a better indicator of mental frailty than a player's form dropping badly because of one painful loss.
We don't know yet if Mane's form will drop in the coming weeks, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

The Hazard reference was because he gave an interview to a Belgian newspaper this weekend and basically said that it was a shame we went out against Wales but he's not the kind of guy that cares too much about stuff like that, he was over it pretty quickly - disgusting thing to read.

Pumplex

:drool:

Doofus

Supports
Liverpool

Spurs had to play an absolutely excellent game that day to win and we still could have gotten something from the game. Oh and there's also the small factor of Spurs having played a 3-4-3 because they had 3 good CBs, 2 powerful and pacy wing backs who are great both in attack and defense and 2 midfield work horses. They had the personnel to match us.

Milner is hardly Danny Rose. Clyne or whoever's going to play RB for you is hardly Kyle Walker. You don't have Wanyama and Dembele either. You can't play a 3-4-3 against us. You simply do not have the personnel and Spurs didn't just play it overnight against us either. They'd been playing it in the 3-4 games before that and I think they'd played it a few times last season as well. You aren't going to beat us by suddenly playing that system in training 3 days to a match when we've been at it ourselves all season.

And if you don't match us, then the extra man advantage we have will be your undoing.

Also, any attempt at pressing us in our own half will result in a win for us.

You've pointed out that playing deeper and conservatively is the way to go and I couldn't agree more. That's the way I see Liverpool winning. No matter how good you play, any other tactic won't result in less than a draw for us imo.

Then again, I could be wildly wrong. Liverpool do seem to really get up for big games. Here's hoping you find your motivation against Spurs rather than against us.
We have beaten you already at Stamford Bridge. It's not as much as a foregone conclusion that we will lose as you make it out to be.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
........................ Mignolet

Clyne ...... Matip ............ Lovren ...... Milner

...................... Henderson
................................ Wijnaldum

................... Lallana

Mane ............... Firmino .......... Coutinho

Is what I'd wager will be the starting line-up if all fit for duty, and at this stage it seems they are.
Shouldn't be starting with Mane. I'd rather save him for Hull anyway who will be more defensive for longer. I reckon we'll start with Can instead with Mane coming on in the last 15 minutes.

Or if Klopp goes left field a 343 of:
Matip Lovren Klavan
Clyne Hendo Weeji Milner
Lallana Firmino Coutinho

ElQuesoGrande

I disagree, who knows what ill effects it could have. You should probably give him the rest of the season off tbh.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Hate how confident everyone is that we'll win. Oppo fans I should say. Don't see many fellow Chelsea fans that are as confident.

Expecting Liverpool to play much better here than their previous month or so. Hopefully Conte has our players desperate to win this even if we don't really need to.