Liverpool vs Chelsea

SirAF

Ageist
Hate how confident everyone is that we'll win. Oppo fans I should say. Don't see many fellow Chelsea fans that are as confident.

Expecting Liverpool to play much better here than their previous month or so. Hopefully Conte has our players desperate to win this even if we don't really need to.
I guess the carrot for Chelsea should be that the league will be almost wrapped up with a win.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Hate how confident everyone is that we'll win. Oppo fans I should say. Don't see many fellow Chelsea fans that are as confident.

Expecting Liverpool to play much better here than their previous month or so. Hopefully Conte has our players desperate to win this even if we don't really need to.
Why?

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
LOL. That won't happen. The game is being played at Anfield and not Stamford Bridge. It is hard to envisage Liverpool losing to any team by that margin at home. It will likely be a draw, as Liverpool will raise their game and Mane will be back. And Chelsea will think that they can afford to lose this game. So it points to a draw which is the best possible result from a UTD perspective. We are likely to cut both teams' lead over us as long as we don't screw up our own game.
1. Mane wont play this game. It has not been 5 days.
2. 'Pool are in terrible form, I wouldnt put a 5-0 win for Chelsea past it.
3. We are not catching Chelsea, therefore a thumping of 'Pool
Risking his health? FFS :lol: There's a one hour time difference with Gabon and sleeping in a private jet is as comfy as it gets, so in no way are we risking his health by bringing him back asap.

He won't play though and rightfully so, he can't possibly be ready mentally to participate in such an important game. It must be so nice having players like Hazard who just don't care about defeats.
Or Mane has no thick skin would be the best way to look at it, if youre going to attack Eden over it.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I guess the carrot for Chelsea should be that the league will be almost wrapped up with a win.
If they beat us then take three points from Arsenal then it's basically over.

JohnZSmith27

What's the 5 day thing I see people mentioning? Can you not play for your club for 5 days following exit from an International competition?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Because they'll raise their game of course. It's a big rivalry of sorts between the clubs over the past decade + and Klopp and his players will be in desperation mode. They lose this and their title chance is gone. Their top 4 chances take a huge hit as well depending on results around them.

This is the classic case of one team being in great form, one being in terrible form with most people thinking the result is a foregone conclusion. Then the poor team wins.

Like I said, hopefully our boys treat this like a cup final.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
10 Premier League games being played mid-week - and this is the ONLY one being shown on TV.

:wenger:

EDIT: oh, and City v West Ham. Still, why can't they put more on
Because they're all on at the same time? When have they ever shown more when they're on at the same time?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Because they'll raise their game of course. It's a big rivalry of sorts between the clubs over the past decade + and Klopp and his players will be in desperation mode. They lose this and their title chance is gone. Their top 4 chances take a huge hit as well depending on results around them.

This is the classic case of one team being in great form, one being in terrible form with most people thinking the result is a foregone conclusion. Then the poor team wins.

Like I said, hopefully our boys treat this like a cup final.
I see what you mean, it's a very subjective approach - though of course, football often is determined by subjective and emotional criteria. I just can't quite see how Liverpool are going to turn around a horrible streak against what is the best team in England currently. I mean, they'll probably raise their game, of course, but their level seems so poor currently that I doubt even that will help them get a result.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, I also forsee a Liverpool win in this one. They're a notorious game-raising club. Bit of a joke really.

They'll treat this like a cup final while Chelsea players will approach this one with caution considering they don't need a win.

Francoruud

Supports
Chelsea
We have beaten you already at Stamford Bridge. It's not as much as a foregone conclusion that we will lose as you make it out to be.
True. And even though it was 3 points won for you, it's still worth pointing out that that was before we sorted ourselves out. Plus you haven't beaten us at Anfield in like 5 years if I'm not mistaken. We can afford a draw. It's not a foregone conclusion but look at it this way: you'd probably be a bit surprised if your lot won, especially coming off their recent form.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
It's fascinating if they are able to raise their performance level and beat Chelsea. More so if they do well in the Arsenal, Spurs City games too... but then go back to dropping points again versus lower placed sides.

If that happens you'd have to question the players' attitude surely? The manager too would also be culpable wouldn't he?

Trizy

Mane this and Mane that. You'd swear he was Messi the way people go on about him.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I have to say this annoys me. The privleges footballers get are ridiculous.

Doofus

Supports
Liverpool
True. And even though it was 3 points won for you, it's still worth pointing out that that was before we sorted ourselves out. Plus you haven't beaten us at Anfield in like 5 years if I'm not mistaken. We can afford a draw. It's not a foregone conclusion but look at it this way: you'd probably be a bit surprised if your lot won, especially coming off their recent form.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised. We've beaten Arsenal and Chelsea away and City at home already this season, and we've drawn against Spurs at WHL and Man United home and away, with the latter only being a draw due to a non-called offside going the way of Mourinho's men.

We've been remarkable against the other teams in the top 6. The best in the League, in fact. If anything, it would be a surprise to lose.

You sorted yourself out straight after the Arsenal game. There's no reason why we can't sort ourselves out just in time for this fixture.

West Ham also beat you during your "sorted out" period. So did Spurs. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that we do too.

However, having said everything I've said in this thread today (I am limited to 3 posts), I still wouldn't be able to call a winner for this game. It'll be an interesting one, for sure.

Reactions: Snowjoe

Ryan Bobson

I really hope Mane plays and gives us all another Sliptactular historic moment against Chelsea

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
West Ham also beat you during your "sorted out" period. So did Spurs. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that we do too.
West Ham beat a second 11 Chelsea EFL cup team including a number of kids. Our match with you is far from a foregone conclusion, but we've only lost once in the league since we changed up.

RedCurry

Although I think Mane going for AFCON made a huge impact on Liverpool's form, I don't think his coming back will fix their problems right away. Chelsea win is a dead cert for me. Only doubt I would have is that whether Chelsea really wants to win it or will Conte prefer to just get a point from this game, which would make sense I guess.

Gasolin

I hope for a draw and some red cards on both sides... :). And loads of goals, please.

Gasolin

Why is a draw good for Utd? I just don't get this train of thought.
Keep having both teams lose points, in January, that's still the best course of action. A win gives too much weight to one of the teams. Just trying to maximise the match day outcome here... what would you favour?

D2Z

Supports
Keep having both teams lose points, in January, that's still the best course of action. A win gives too much weight to one of the teams. Just trying to maximise the match day outcome here... what would you favour?
Liverpool loss so we can get in 4th obviously.

iKnowNothing

I think we're past the "maximize the match day outcome" stage of the season. There is no real benefit to us with Liverpool picking up a point or 3 points. I think our aim this season in the league should be to win the coveted 4th place trophy and it would be just that much more sweet if it were at Liverpool's expense.

Here's what I thought a few days ago and I still stand by this:
This is one game where I want Liverpool to lose. I don't care if it puts daylight in the title race and seeing as we're out of the title race, I'd rather Chelsea win it. Don't want Liverpool to come back from the bad few weeks, I want them to be beat by 3 or 4 goals so that they get any sort of confidence sucked out of them.

What's the 5 day thing I see people mentioning? Can you not play for your club for 5 days following exit from an International competition?
^ This is something I want to know too..

Rafateria

You were queried by another poster on this and didn't reply so I'm asking you again, where did you see / hear this ? Twitter ?

I've checked the AFCON regulations and there is nothing in there : http://www.cafonline.com/Portals/0/Regulations and Official Documents/Competitions Regulation/CAF Regulations Can_En 2016.pdf

And I also can't see any reference to it on FIFA's site .. and those are the only two bodies that could impose this rule.

I think it's BS because why would Liverpool send a private jet out and back for him to then have him go to the training ground, instead of waiting for a flight back the next day. Makes no sense whatsoever unless the 5 day ruling you posted is bollocks (not aiming that at you but at the likely rumour).

D2Z

Supports
You were queried by another poster on this and didn't reply so I'm asking you again, where did you see / hear this ? Twitter ?

I've checked the AFCON regulations and there is nothing in there : http://www.cafonline.com/Portals/0/Regulations and Official Documents/Competitions Regulation/CAF Regulations Can_En 2016.pdf

And I also can't see any reference to it on FIFA's site .. and those are the only two bodies that could impose this rule.

I think it's BS because why would Liverpool send a private jet out and back for him to then have him go to the training ground, instead of waiting for a flight back the next day. Makes no sense whatsoever unless the 5 day ruling you posted is bollocks (not aiming that at you but at the likely rumour).
Twitter and Facebook. Could be BS if I admit so myself. Not going to sit here and act as if I have done the research myself.

Gasolin

Don't believe a second an official 5 days rule. It's more likely that 5 days is the normal number of days one expects to have when coming back from an international competition to be fit.
Nevertheless it would be good to see Mane somehow, and Liverpool still doesn't play well...

BonkersIam

Supports
Vitesse, KSV, Rangers,
Don't believe a second an official 5 days rule. It's more likely that 5 days is the normal number of days one expects to have when coming back from an international competition to be fit.
Nevertheless it would be good to see Mane somehow, and Liverpool still doesn't play well...
i thought it was something to do with leaving an international team during a tournament due to injury.
My understanding is that once an international team has finished the tournament then they are obliged if requested to release players back to their clubs the following day

BonkersIam

Supports
Vitesse, KSV, Rangers,
We don't know yet if Mane's form will drop in the coming weeks, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

The Hazard reference was because he gave an interview to a Belgian newspaper this weekend and basically said that it was a shame we went out against Wales but he's not the kind of guy that cares too much about stuff like that, he was over it pretty quickly - disgusting thing to read.
in other words he has the strength of mind to get over it and not dwell on what happened and so therefore move onto the next match/competition etc ........ nothing disgusting in that

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I have to say this annoys me. The privleges footballers get are ridiculous.
Totally agree. While not nearly as proliferative as those who are affected by diseases like cancer, too many people are now starting to be affected by those whose lives have been altered by drinking and driving, from having to assist family or friends while their license is suspended to the other end of the spectrum, losing family or friends due to drinking and driving.

For a court/judge to casually push back a 'star's' court appearance to allow that person to work in their entertainment field misses the whole point of highlighting how DUIs could affect anyone, any time. As it initially appeared, Firmino's initial court date was determined by the next opening in the court docket; obviously his lawyers pushed hard for this delay due to the Chelsea match. The court/judge could have left the import of his alleged DUI incident intact by keeping the existing date firm. That would (hopefully) have forced more dialogue regarding the dangers of drinking and driving. Now it will be looked at by the public in a far less impactful light and, in my opinion, embarrasses the court system, regardless the country. Sure, lay folk can often get court dates moved as well, but I subscribe to the narrative that such stars have put themselves into the public light by their vocation. If they are held to a higher scrutiny (or more stringent court calendar in this case), so be it.

Good to see supporters of the alleged's club getting annoyed by such a move and not staying quiet due to the break the club received, kudos to you.

I know I would be extremely upset if the club in question was United as my family and close group of friends have been impacted multiple times by DUIs throughout the entire spectrum I discussed above.

Rafateria

Twitter and Facebook. Could be BS if I admit so myself. Not going to sit here and act as if I have done the research myself.
Fair enough. Thanks ! As I said then probably BS because LFC wouldn't have spent the extra on a private flight if that were the case.

PaulRich

Plays right into Chelseas hands, this game. They don't need to win, Liverpool most certainly do so wait for the press and boom, hit them on the counter - this will either be a bore draw or Chelsea smash and grab.