Sun, 22 March 2015 @ 1:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 70 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
    Im always nervous when playing Liverpool, but this is even worse.

This match could make or break the season for both teams. If we manage to snatch a win, im pretty sure we are nailed for a CL spot. A loss and we are on dangerous waters :nervous:

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
    Unchanged team. Or maybe Rafael in for Valencia.

Question234

Shaw in for Blind is the other change I would make, Shaw as a defender can handle Sterling better than Blind can ever hope to.
    You sure about this ? Shaw was having alot of trouble against Ox who isn't better than sterling tbh. We could even see a 343 with sterling up front.

Blind and young worked really well yesterday. Blind knows when to switch from defending to supporting the winger, something Shaw has been struggling with I think.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
    I am overly confident on this one. I really really want us to go all out blow for blow against them, attack like mad men with Herrera, Carrick and Mata in midfield and we're gonna get some goals imo, and with the Super Dave factor at the other end they'd have to put in some work to score more imo. Hope LvG has the balls for that, if we got another win down to pure attack power over these guys then my faith in him would be restored to 100%.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
    Supports
    Liverpool
    I am overly confident on this one. I really really want us to go all out blow for blow against them, attack like mad men with Herrera, Carrick and Mata in midfield and we're gonna get some goals imo, and with the Super Dave factor at the other end they'd have to put in some work to score more imo. Hope LvG has the balls for that, if we got another win down to pure attack power over these guys then my faith in him would be restored to 100%.
    Be my guest :lol:

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
    Be my guest :lol:
    Never said it would result in 3 points necessarily (and afterall, we aren't the ones playing catch-up), but gotta agree if both teams went for it it would be an entertaining match and probably reasonably close if we played like we did yesterday (though admittedly if not then we'd probably get smashed haha).

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
    Supports
    Liverpool
    Never said it would result in 3 points necessarily (and afterall, we aren't the ones playing catch-up), but gotta agree if both teams went for it it would be an entertaining match and probably reasonably close if we played like we did yesterday (though admittedly if not then we'd probably get smashed haha).
    United would find a draw far more beneficial yeah, so we'll probably want to impose our game on you and dictate the tempo. Will be a difficult game for both teams, the fear of conceding first will definitely be present on both sides. Going gung ho from the start would lead to an entertaining match but it'll leave your back four horribly exposed, Carrick in front of it or not. Anyway, no chance LvG will play like that so there's no point in discussing it :)

Red_Beans

Form means nothing for this game, its a real cup final and usually gets decided by an individual error.

a lot will depend on the Swansea result tonight, if 'pool drop points they have to beat us to overtake us eventually. I am sure everybody in the Liverpool camp is sure we will drop more points than them with our fixture list, but not 5 more.

So if Swansea take something away I would play AdM, sit back and wait to counter while they throw the kitchen sink at us.

If 'pool beat Swansea they may play more conservatively against us, knowing that if they draw that they will still fancy their chances of overturning a 2 point deficit before the end of the season. In this scenario I would play Mata and try play the way we played against Tottenham.

I am quite nervous, our defence seems more prone to brain farts than theirs

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
    Supports
    Liverpool
    The two games I've seen Man Utd play really, really well in recently are Newcastle and Spurs. Impressive pressing, passing, momentum and confidence.

But when you examine the stats a bit closer, here are the reasons they actually got the three points in both:

Newcastle - direct assist: Krul
    Spurs - direct assist for game killer Carrick goal: Chadli
    Spurs - direct assist for end of game Rooney goal: Bentaleb

If I was an opposing manager I'd look at that and go, hmm, so lads here are the tactics: "Don't give them the fcking ball in front of goal!!"

The only danger I see with Utd is Elboflaini. He is by far their best player this season (says all you need to know about Utd's troubles). Utd's long ball tactics will bother us no doubt, they're about the same level as Stoke 2008. Aim for Fellaini's head and hope for the best with the second ball.

If I was granted one wish to see a Utd player out with a bad cold for that game, Blind, Herrera, Di Maria, Mata, Rooney, Shaw, Smalling, De Gea? I would go with Fellaini. Every opposing fan would. This isn't a windup by the way, its my genuine opinion as a Liverpool fan for the upcoming game.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    I would love to get a draw, as I think that it will be our maximum there. I can’t see us wining this game tbh. We’re very very bad away from home this year, and Liverpool is excellent recently. Almost as good as Arsenal, so we’ll have a tough game. But one thing is sure, is that tactically, LVG will be up for this. I’m not afraid of Liverpool’s 3-5-2 because we’ll be up for it.

A draw would be perfect, but we can’t sit back and wait during 90 minutes. Their tempo and pace upfront will be tough to match I guess, so we’ll need some kind of big big big performance from us.

We’re still unsure about Rojo and Shaw’s fitness, so I would go for a 4-1-4-1 this game, but I wouldn’t bet against a 3-5-2…

I can’t play Blind directly against the like of Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho, in terms of pace it’s going to be hard for him, as the one vs one on Valencia, exposing Jones and Smalling. It will be difficult to keep them from our side. It will be imperative that Fellaini tries to crush Henderson, probably their best player with Coutinho also.

It would be great to nullify their best player thanks to individual marking. I know that’s going to be probably the most important game of the season, but I would play Di Maria. He has so much to prove during this game, and that must be his time, He played ok against Newcastle and had a good game against Arsenal. And with a better side he can shine. So we’ll have to nullify Allen, Henderson and Coutinho. Our midfielders will have to be at the top to contain them

-----------------------------------------------------De Gea----------------------------------------------------
    Valencia-----------------------------Jones/Rojo---------------Smalling-------------------------Shaw/Blind
    ------------------------------------------------------Carrick---------------------------------------------------
    Di Maria------------------------------Herrera--------------------Fellaini------------------------------Young
    -----------------------------------------------------Rooney----------------------------------------------------

or

-----------------------------------------------------De Gea----------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------Jones-------------------Smalling--------------------------Rojo----------------------
    Valencia-----------------------------------------Carrick------------------------------------------------Young
    ------------------------------------------Herrera-----------Fellaini-------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------Rooney------Di Maria--------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------Sturridge-------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------Sterling- -----------Coutinho----------------------------------------
    Moreno-----------------------------Allen----------------Henderson----------------------------------Johnson
    --------------------------Sakho--------------------Skrtel------------------------------Can-------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------Mignolet--------------------------------------------------

Browniee

United would find a draw far more beneficial yeah, so we'll probably want to impose our game on you and dictate the tempo. Will be a difficult game for both teams, the fear of conceding first will definitely be present on both sides. Going gung ho from the start would lead to an entertaining match but it'll leave your back four horribly exposed, Carrick in front of it or not. Anyway, no chance LvG will play like that so there's no point in discussing it :)
    And who's going to protect your back 4? Jordan 'i'm hard' Henderson?
    Game on

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
    Time Travel
    deGea
    Valencia Smalling Rojo Shaw
    Herrera Carrick diMaria Young
    Fellaini
    Rooney
    Sucks for Mata/Fellaini if one has to sit out but you need more ball carriers who can shift the ball from defense under pressure against Liverpool who will press hard and sit people on Carrick and Smalling. Tempted to go with Blind at left back but the pace of Sterling and Coutinho might be too hard for him to handle if isolated. I'd actually be tempted to put Mata in despite fellaini's solid form and bring him on in the latter stages.

ice-bionic red

Nervous for this game but the win over Spurs has given me a little more confidence. Hope to see the same team. Di Maria coming off the bench as impact could be huge. I would take a draw now though.

C'mon LVG!

devil in me

Same team as against Spurs, same formation and tactics.

If it ain't broke.......
    Absolutely. Although I can see ADM coming straight back in. If that's the cae, hopefully it's not in place of Mata but Young instead (who doesn't deserve to be dropped IMO).

Bwuk

Dave
    Valencia - Smalling - Rojo - Blind
    Carrick - Herrera
    Mata - Fellaini - Di Maria
    Rooney​

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
    I'd love to see Rafael combine with Di Maria down the right, i think they'd help each other a lot.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
    Supports
    Liverpool
    Probably Allen who did a job on City two weeks ago.
    A (small) giant amongst (big) men. :)

Where Utd's pressing of Spurs' defence helped put Spurs under immense pressure we have Can and Sakho who play wonderful passes from the back and construct triangles ahead of them with Allen, Sterling and Coutinho. Mata and Fellaini will not be able to live with that. Their best bet will be to not get involved (bypassed) so high up and instead sit back waiting for the counter*. Frustrate us and then hit us.

*aka long balls to Fellaini with Rooney / Mata chasing the second ball.

ants7

At this moment, no changes really seems like a good idea. This team performed very well at OT and might do the same at Anfield. Of course, a lot depends on who will be fit for the game..you can never be sure that Jones wouldn't injure Rooney on training or something like that.

Anyway, I would be over the moon with a win. It would be absolutely amazing, to be honest. But I'd take the draw, I guess.

Roboc7

Hard to see us winning there and would be really pleased with a draw, Liverpool are the best team in the league at the moment, how much longer they can keep that up for I am not sure though. Big issue for me is how much pace and athleticism Liverpool have in their side, we really lack both those qualities and I can see them carving us open regularly if we are not careful just as they did in the game at Old Trafford, rarely have I seen a team create so many chances and lose 3-0.

Big decisions for LVG to make, does he go with Blind at left back again and leave him exposed to Sterling’s pace, will Mata be overrun and should he bring back Di Maria. Not easy calls to make but getting those kind or decisions right or wrong will be the difference between playing in the Champions League ot the Europa next season. It won’t be easy to drop anyone who played yesterday but it might take a very different type of performance and some different personnel to get a result.

Question234

Hard to see us winning there and would be really pleased with a draw, Liverpool are the best team in the league at the moment
    Oh please come off it. Chelsea and arsenal better than them atm.

It'll be tough but not the hardest, interesting to see how they'll fair against Swansea but I can't see them losing like we did, and the gunners for that fact.

Liverpool will love the open football Swansea play.

BigBebe

Hard to see us winning there and would be really pleased with a draw, Liverpool are the best team in the league at the moment, how much longer they can keep that up for I am not sure though. Big issue for me is how much pace and athleticism Liverpool have in their side, we really lack both those qualities and I can see them carving us open regularly if we are not careful just as they did in the game at Old Trafford, rarely have I seen a team create so many chances and lose 3-0.

Big decisions for LVG to make, does he go with Blind at left back again and leave him exposed to Sterling’s pace, will Mata be overrun and should he bring back Di Maria. Not easy calls to make but getting those kind or decisions right or wrong will be the difference between playing in the Champions League ot the Europa next season. It won’t be easy to drop anyone who played yesterday but it might take a very different type of performance and some different personnel to get a result.
    Totally agree. I think that this is the game where all of LVG's uber-analysis of the opposition needs to show itself in a great tactical plan. Before yesterday's game, most posters were saying we had no pace in the team. We then put on our fastest, slickest performance of the season.

Blind or Shaw vs Sterling? Blind is slower but tactically and positionally more astute. Shaw is faster but has been caught out of position a number of times this season. Hard decision.

I would like to see Mata keep his place and keep Di Maria as an impact sub. Di Maria has been playing more as an individual trying to prove himself and takes on (even) less team defensive responsibilities than Mata. I think the game will be high paced. Bring on Di Maria when they are tiring.

I always want Rafael to play because I clearly have a blind spot for him which the manager does not share. IMO he is a defender, Valencia is not. To play Valencia AND Di Maria on the right is a disaster (see Arsenal FA cup game)

Looking forward to this game though which is a pleasant change.

Browniee

Went for a 2-1 Liverpool win.
    It doesn't matter what happened against Spurs and it won't matter if pool lose to Swansea tonight. It's their cup final on Sunday, our defence looked good against Spurs but you can bet your bottom dollar it will look shocking Sunday.

SalfordRed1960

Where Utd's pressing of Spurs' defence helped put Spurs under immense pressure we have Can and Sakho who play wonderful passes from the back and construct triangles ahead of them with Allen, Sterling and Coutinho. Mata and Fellaini will not be able to live with that. Their best bet will be to not get involved (bypassed) so high up and instead sit back waiting for the counter*. Frustrate us and then hit us.

You really don't watch us a lot do you.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
    Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

Dont you have injuries to your precious little back 3?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Juan Mata image Juan Mata 94% of 1119 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 878 ratings.

Score Predictions