Liverpool

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...er-United-match-Liverpools-European-Cups.html

Stop posting irrelevant drivel Krafty. I'm simply agreeing with the great man himself. United should have done better given the amount of opportunities he had. Take it up with Fergie if you disagree.
Feverishly ambitious manager in wanting to win more trophies shocker.

What this has to do with any of my points above I'm not sure.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fergie thinks he should've won more league titles too. That's the mark of the man, and what drove him to become the greatest of all time.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
:lol: Its not the same as asking a girl out.

Wonder if they should bid for ronaldo,messi and bale as well, I mean whats the harm. A little rejection never hurt anyone.
Well there is a 50 page thread with everyone thinking United are going to sign him so it is not really that far fetched that Liverpool who will be playing Champions League football could get him.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I reckon in addition to the positions you've listed we could be in for a winger too. I really hope we manage to get Lallana done soon. I am really looking forward to seeing him play for us.

Tony Barrett has said we value Borini at £12m. Wpuld you take that for him? I probably would.
£12m breaks even on a poor buy. I'd snap anybody's hand off for that.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Steve Finnan and Markus Babbel were regularly (i.e. uninjured) top quality for us. Unfortunately that feels like aeons ago. We need to bring someone in as good as them, fullback is a crucial area for our playing style (yes even more crucial than centreback with all its known issues).

I'm worried Moreno might be another Dossena with the way Sevilla fans are readily welcoming the cash.

Hamadovich86

With Lambert Liverpool have added some depth to their strikeforce, I really think he can do well there if not he still only cost 4-5 million. Lallana and Moreno would be great business for them and would solidify their position in the top 4. If they want to challenge for the title they need to bring in a world class CB. I'm sure Rodgers is aware of that and perhaps working on it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Moving fast in the market this summer.

Wayne's World

There are after making two signings that even Newcastle United would not be worried about. Don't fancy Lambert as a top top player and Emre Can's progress has stalled badly in the past two season (according to a German mate of mine)

Need more than that If they want to stay in the top four next season nevermind challenge for a title again

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
There are after making two signings that even Newcastle United would not be worried about. Don't fancy Lambert as a top top player and Emre Can's progress has stalled badly in the past two season (according to a German mate of mine)

Need more than that If they want to stay in the top four next season nevermind challenge for a title again
Meh it's hard to know. I don't mind the signing of Lambert. Can isn't someone I've seen but I'm happy enough we're making the squad stronger.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool

Keeping up the underestimation of Liverpool...habit firming since last autumn.

So, now Newcastle wouldn't touch these buys. Newcastle...a club that hasn't parted money for a player in something like 2 years.

Traub

I think Liverpool are making some decent signings. I don't see them as being good enough to kick Liverpool on just yet. However, realistically Liverpool's target for next season should just be a decent showing in Europe (even if that's failing at the group stages) and making it into the top 4 again. I think their targets allow them to do that.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Moreno is the only improvement they've brought into their squad so far, and thats a stretch.

Deleted member 78215

So Liverpool have - I'm assuming - spent their summer budget on Lambert, Lallana, Can and Moreno?

Not sure how I feel about that.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Moreno is the only improvement they've brought into their squad so far, and thats a stretch.
First XI wise Liverpool aren't in need of great work. The attacking 4 or 5 are strong already. Full back and CB are key requirements, with back ups needed to deepen the squad in general.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
First XI wise Liverpool aren't in need of great work. The attacking 4 or 5 are strong already. Full back and CB are key requirements, with back ups needed to deepen the squad in general.
I'd say you need a starting XI quality DM too. The level Lucas was at about two-to-three seasons ago before he became dreadful and redundant through injuries.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
I think our cemtre backs will instantly look better with a better set of full backs. Skrtel and Sakho haven't had bad seasons. It'll be interesting to see what happens with McLaughlin. I'm not convinced he'll make it here, but he could get a decent opportunity to stake a claim for that right back spot. He looked good for NI before he was taken off.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I'd say you need a starting XI quality DM too. The level Lucas was at about two-to-three seasons ago before he became dreadful and redundant through injuries.
In the system Rodgers likes I'd say Gerrard still works very well in a deeper role. I agree back up is needed but it's not currently a major problem. Can maybe the back up.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I think our cemtre backs will instantly look better with a better set of full backs. Skrtel and Sakho haven't had bad seasons. It'll be interesting to see what happens with McLaughlin. I'm not convinced he'll make it here, but he could get a decent opportunity to stake a claim for that right back spot. He looked good for NI before he was taken off.
I agree about needing FBs. Systemically Liverpool were set up to concede rather than individuals not being good enough. Greater balance in terms of approach is the key.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
I don't see us signing one while Gerrard is still going. I expect Can to be the back up.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
In the system Rodgers likes I'd say Gerrard still works very well in a deeper role. I agree back up is needed but it's not currently a major problem. Can maybe the back up.
I don't see us signing one while Gerrard is still going. I expect Can to be the back up.
I take your points, and perhaps, it willl work, but in the bigger games; much like in the UCL or in the big ties in the league City/Chelsea/Us (:angel:) next season, Gerrard will need that defensive support to be at the level mandatory to deal with top quality forwards and attackers. In the second half of one of the City games, I remember Gerrard struggling a little with the pace of the game and there wasn't anyone in your midfield to break up attackers to simply water carry the ball to Gerrard to instigate attacks.
Gerrard
Henderson --- Coutinho/Lallana
Is a little defensively lightweight, no? But it is a little bit out a catch 22 as you can't sign a pure defensive midfielder as he would struggle if he isn't playing the deepest (which Gerrard will be occupying). Perhaps I underestimate the defensive diligence of your midfield, or, perhaps the forwards will continue to compensate.

EDIT: I did forget Allen, who I quite like, but he again, is more of a complementary player who isn't the toughest defensively to screen and protect to back four.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
So Liverpool have - I'm assuming - spent their summer budget on Lambert, Lallana, Can and Moreno?

Not sure how I feel about that.
Suarez sale should cover all that and a couple more players.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Suarez sale should cover all that and a couple more players.
I'd be gutted if I sold Suare and replaced him with mostly average players. At least Spurs replaced Bale with players with reputation - Lamela, Soldado, Paulinho and Eriksen were coming there on the back of good league campaigns/previous tournaments, Liverpool signings so far aren't anything more than back-up players (Can and Lambert).

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I'd be gutted if I sold Suare and replaced him with mostly average players. At least Spurs replaced Bale with players with reputation - Lamela, Soldado, Paulinho and Eriksen were coming there on the back of good league campaigns/previous tournaments, Liverpool signings so far aren't anything more than back-up players (Can and Lambert).
Can and Lambert aren't being bought with money earned from the sale of Suarez. Coz it hasn't happened.

If it does, I'd expect the money to identify a replacement for the first team. To use the Spurs example as some kind of positive is just odd. Their season was absurd given their investment.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
22m Euros is expensive for Moreno considering the season he has had. Rodgers main strength is coaching, his transfer dealings has been a bit hit or miss.

Sakho for 17m pounds looks like a poor buy and I find it funny that Liverpool fans are convinced that he'll turn into a world class defender inspite of him showing no indication regarding that. It's the same with United fans and Chris Smalling.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They're certainly getting their deals arranged quickly. Padding the squad out, but the jury is out about their quality.

The Shaw situation started off the summer quite promisingly for us, but has clearly now been put back at least 3 weeks.
How many other deals are in the mixer is the 64m question

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
22m Euros is expensive for Moreno considering the season he has had. Rodgers main strength is coaching, his transfer dealings has been a bit hit or miss.

Sakho for 17m pounds looks like a poor buy and I find it funny that Liverpool fans are convinced that he'll turn into a world class defender inspite of him showing no indication regarding that. It's the same with United fans and Chris Smalling.
Smalling looks class IMO.

As for his purchases they have been a bit hit or miss, though I am a Sakho fan. Having said that, I don't think Rodgers had much control last season in the transfer market. This summer he apparently will have much more of a say.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Moreno would be a good buy for them. Young players tend to go through slumps, as did Moreno last season. He definitely has the talent to go on and become a very good LB.