Liverpool

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Can we stop the whole "Chelsea and City bottled" it argument I am starting to see? Isn't that the same type of argument we criticized Liverpool supporters for using in the past? Liverpool have scored 93 goals and can still finish with 89 points. They are the deserved champions.
I would say United bottled it this season

Ekeke

Can we stop the whole "Chelsea and City bottled" it argument I am starting to see? Isn't that the same type of argument we criticized Liverpool supporters for using in the past? Liverpool have scored 93 goals and can still finish with 89 points. They are the deserved champions.
They have bottled it. They were ahead and you dont expect experienced teams of players who have won titles and have been assembled with huge amounts of cash to to fumble it like both Chelsea and City have done this season.

The important part to focus on is that Liverpool don't seem to be feeling the pressure and bottling it. You can give them credit for that feat without pretending that City and Chelsea havent come up short when teams of that calibre should be doing the business, even thriving under the pressure of being at the top. Thats what they were bought for, including the managers, and thats where experience helps them

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They have bottled it. They were ahead and you dont expect experienced teams of players who have won titles and have been assembled with huge amounts of cash to to fumble it like both Chelsea and City have done this season.

The important part to focus on is that Liverpool don't seem to be feeling the pressure and bottling it. You can give them credit for that feat without pretending that City and Chelsea havent come up short when teams of that calibre should be doing the business, even thriving under the pressure of being at the top. Thats what they were bought for, including the managers, and thats where experience helps them
I'm not sure about Chelsea bottling it. Their lack of a striker has cost them more than anything. It's hard to win the title when your strikers are so mediocre Andre shurrle looks more potent than all of them.

Liverpool have played better under pressure than the others. But they also have a lot more rest between games and the whole wave of emotion of it them achieving something historic has IMO given them something extra.

Ekeke

I'm not sure about Chelsea bottling it. Their lack of a striker has cost them more than anything. It's hard to win the title when your strikers are so mediocre Andre shurrle looks more potent than all of them.

Liverpool have played better under pressure than the others. But they also have a lot more rest between games and the whole wave of emotion of it them achieving something historic has IMO given them something extra.
Mourinho got his striker in the summer and sent another out on loan. Also if we're talking attacking players how about Oscar being MIA when they've needed him since christmas and selling a better player to us for £37 million. Had he have kept Mata Mourinho could have restored him to the team while Oscar has been wobbly

Chelsea had a better squad and spent too much money to be losing the title. Mourinho was installed there to make it happen now Sir Alex isnt here. It seemed like the perfect timing, only he wasnt good enough

amolbhatia50k

Mourinho got his striker in the summer and sent another out on loan. Also if we're talking attacking players how about Oscar being MIA when they've needed him since christmas and selling a better player to us for £37 million. Had he have kept Mata Mourinho could have restored him to the team while Oscar has been wobbly

Chelsea had a better squad and spent too much money to be losing the title. Mourinho was installed there to make it happen now Sir Alex isnt here. It seemed like the perfect timing, only he wasnt good enough
Them not buying the right striker has nothing to do with "bottling". It's completely irrelevant in that regard. They've anyway supposedly got someone lined up for the summer so it would have made no sense to spend big on a. Lesser player.

I know that Chelsea and City have better squads than Liverpool but personally I don't think either club did blast this season. Chelsea lack firepower upfront and city started really poorly and pelligrini probably needs to learn a thing or two about the league and they lost aguero and toure during important parts of the season. On the other hand, Liverpool might have a lesser squad but they've played better than the sum of their parts and I'd credit them with the win more than criticising the others.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Them not buying the right striker has nothing to do with "bottling". It's completely irrelevant in that regard. They've anyway supposedly got someone lined up for the summer so it would have made no sense to spend big on a. Lesser player.

I know that Chelsea and City have better squads than Liverpool but personally I don't think either club did blast this season. Chelsea lack firepower upfront and city started really poorly and pelligrini probably needs to learn a thing or two about the league and they lost aguero and toure during important parts of the season. On the other hand, Liverpool might have a lesser squad but they've played better than the sum of their parts and I'd credit them with the win more than criticising the others.
That is what I was trying to get at.

Ekeke

Mourinho is experienced enough with more than enough resources to know if he has enough up front. Cant complain about it now. They must have enough, especially when he sends Lukaku and Mata away.

amolbhatia50k

Mourinho is experienced enough with more than enough resources to know if he has enough up front. Cant complain about it now. They must have enough, especially when he sends Lukaku and Mata away.
He isn't complaining through. He might be okay with a second or third place finish in his first season there. I would be okay with it if I were a Chelsea fan.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
how can it not be Chelsea bottling it, when they lose at home to the bottom placed team!??

And whoever above says we haven't bottled it as we were never in the mix is spark on too.

It is truly sickening that a team including the likes of Henderson and Sterling can produce such good football.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

We all laughed when Mourinho said they had the advantage because of no Europe.
We all laughed at what we saw as pathetic transparent mind games when he said Chelsea were the "little horse"

turns out he was right all along!

Saoirse.

Liverpool Fan
how can it not be Chelsea bottling it, when they lose at home to the bottom placed team!??

And whoever above says we haven't bottled it as we were never in the mix is spark on too.

It is truly sickening that a team including the likes of Henderson and Sterling can produce such good football.
Both players are the part of the reason Liverpool are producing good football is because they are two good players.

amolbhatia50k

I wouldnt be if I were Abramovich. If I wanted 2nd I'd have hired someone else
He would have "wanted" second he'd be well aware that they've won one league title out of the last 7 titles before this season. I think Chelsea have done okay.

City are the ones who should be disappointed. Their squad is far better than city's or Chelsea's, but I think they should give pelligrini time. He's been a bit naive and started the season poorly but he also lost aguero for long stretched. His city have shown some great potential even though they should have won the league this year.

MDFC Manager

Running away towards a really deserved title.

*spits*

And it aint Chelsea who have bottled it, its Manchester fecking City. They bottled it 2 years ago as well and its a shame that so did we, on that occasion.

Saoirse.

Liverpool Fan
Running away towards a really deserved title.

*spits*

And it aint Chelsea who have bottled it, its Manchester fecking City. They bottled it 2 years ago as well and its a shame that so did we, on that occasion.
How have City bottled it? They have never been more than 2 points ahead of the 2nd placed team, outright neither have Chelsea. City were being awarded the points for their games in hand before their matches were played, which was obviously wrong considering they were lucky to come out with a point on Wed night.

If anyone has bottled the league this year it's Arsenal, they were ahead for the majority of it and will end up fighting tooth and nail for 4th.

Last edited:

M'n'M

"Keane will be awesome alongside Torres."
Perhaps you're just mistaken in your opinion of both?

Guy Incognito

City bottled it, this is the first season Chelsea have been in the thick of a title race in what, four years?

How have City bottled it? They have never been more than 2 points ahead of the 2nd placed team, outright neither have Chelsea. City were being awarded the points for their games in hand before their matches were played, which was obviously wrong considering they were lucky to come out with a point on Wed night.

If anyone has bottled the league this year it's Arsenal, they were ahead for the majority of it and will end up fighting tooth and nail for 4th.
No one said Arse were going to win the title with any real conviction and if you go through the posts in September, October most said the March fixtures would see off their title chances.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool

Do you watch football? Thus guy is possibly the most exciting English talent to emerge in years. He's a class act.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
This has been the worst PL for a while. Fegie's departure has fecked up the balance. Chelsea and City should have walked the league now that Moyes is in charge of United, yet they both stumble against fecking Sunderland when it matters the most. I can't believe that Liverpool is the most likely team to win it. This is surely the death of the Premier League for a couple of years. We'll be lurking comfortably in the shadow of Germany and Spain until things sort themselves out.
Not been posting much this season. Just enjoying reading.

But this post is a bit off. You know the MOST successful English club is back in the CL right? Edit: successful in Europe

Amir

I think they did a little, to be fair. Chelsea were never fully convincing this season, the odd good game here and there, but not enough. City were absolutely brilliant at times, but they just seem like a team who were fine as long as there was nothing on the line, especially in the first half of the season. They haven't been anywhere near as good at crunch time. Lost the league, lost to Wigan, and didn't perform well against a less than great Barcelona team.

Mad Winger

But this post is a bit off. You know the MOST successful English club is back in the CL right? Edit: successful in Europe
Liverpool has been insignificant for nearly a quarter of a century now. You need to be roughly 30 years(+) old to vividly remember the last time they were best in England. Just because Liverpool was a top team once, it doesn't mean that them winning it this season is a "return to normality".

They've been the best of a bad lot, had a lot of luck, and enjoyed their rivals stumbling in their own feet. Worthy winners obviously, but I really doubt they'd win it if Fergie still was around.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool has been insignificant for nearly a quarter of a century now. You need to be roughly 30 years(+) old to vividly remember the last time they were best in England. Just because Liverpool was a top team once, it doesn't mean that them winning it this season is a "return to normality".

They've been the best of a bad lot, had a lot of luck, and enjoyed their rivals stumbling in their own feet. Worthy winners obviously, but I really doubt they'd win it if Fergie still was around.
Your last paragraph is an oxymoron surely. That's not a question.

Saoirse.

Liverpool Fan
I think they did a little, to be fair. Chelsea were never fully convincing this season, the odd good game here and there, but not enough. City were absolutely brilliant at times, but they just seem like a team who were fine as long as there was nothing on the line, especially in the first half of the season. They haven't been anywhere near as good at crunch time. Lost the league, lost to Wigan, and didn't perform well against a less than great Barcelona team.
Yea but bottling it suggests they were well in front and threw it away, that hasn't applied to City at any point this season. I supposed you could say they underperformed at times but that's not the same thing.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Looks like he has a future at Anfield doesnt it?

United22

I still can't believe this is happening.

Somebody wake me up.
Me too. Now that the end of the season is coming its all settling in. It felt like yesterday we were all making jokes about Liverpool winning the league and RAWK, now its fecking happening. I'm going to throw up when I see that cnut Stevie Me and Ratboy holding up the title

Care_de_Bobo

I honestly think that Aguero's injury problems are being understated here. If he'd stayed fit they would have run away with the league imo, they were on fire until he got injured against Spurs. In all competitions in the 5 games leading up to, and including, that Spurs game Aguero scored 7 goals, whereas in the 5 games after the injury City scored 3 goals. Aguero hasn't scored since. Interestingly, Negredo hasn't scored a single goal since that Spurs game either, I don't think that's a coincidence.

The standard of opposition in the 5 games before and after the injury respectitvely definitely play a part in those figures, but 1 goal in 180 minutes against Norwich and Stoke would suggest that they aren't entirely misleading. Aguero is as important to City as Suarez is to Liverpool imo. He missed the Chelsea, Liverpool, United, and Arsenal games in the second half of the season, imagine Suarez missing all those for Liverpool. It doesn't matter how much money you spend, you're always going to miss your best player.

In terms of Chelsea's challenge, every time I've watched them since January I've thought they were missing a player like Mata. Willian, Schurrle, and Sala are more suited to counter-attacking football imo. When they have to break teams like Sunderland down their pace is of little use. Their strikers get a lot of stick, but in fairness to them they don't always get the best service, especially when Hazard is missing. I just can't get my head round letting their best player go midway through the season, I personally think it's cost them the title in the end.