Liverpool

CantonaGiggs1

I honestly think that Aguero's injury problems are being understated here. If he'd stayed fit they would have run away with the league imo, they were on fire until he got injured against Spurs. In all competitions in the 5 games leading up to, and including, that Spurs game Aguero scored 7 goals, whereas in the 5 games after the injury City scored 3 goals. Aguero hasn't scored since. Interestingly, Negredo hasn't scored a single goal since that Spurs game either, I don't think that's a coincidence.

The standard of opposition in the 5 games before and after the injury respectitvely definitely play a part in those figures, but 1 goal in 180 minutes against Norwich and Stoke would suggest that they aren't entirely misleading. Aguero is as important to City as Suarez is to Liverpool imo. He missed the Chelsea, Liverpool, United, and Arsenal games in the second half of the season, imagine Suarez missing all those for Liverpool. It doesn't matter how much money you spend, you're always going to miss your best player.

In terms of Chelsea's challenge, every time I've watched them since January I've thought they were missing a player like Mata. Willian, Schurrle, and Sala are more suited to counter-attacking football imo. When they have to break teams like Sunderland down their pace is of little use. Their strikers get a lot of stick, but in fairness to them they don't always get the best service, especially when Hazard is missing. I just can't get my head round letting their best player go midway through the season, I personally think it's cost them the title in the end.
I agree that City would have won the league had Aguero stayed healthy, but injuries are part of the game. So there are no excuses.

Care_de_Bobo

I agree that City would have won the league had Aguero stayed healthy, but injuries are part of the game. So there are no excuses.
Yeah, not saying it's an excuse, just that I don't think they bottled it. I actually think they invested fairly poorly in the summer, the money they spent on Jovetic should have been used for a top centre back which they desperately needed. Another midfielder to cover for Toure wouldn't have gone amiss either.

Loublaze

ATLien
I honestly think that Aguero's injury problems are being understated here. If he'd stayed fit they would have run away with the league imo, they were on fire until he got injured against Spurs. In all competitions in the 5 games leading up to, and including, that Spurs game Aguero scored 7 goals, whereas in the 5 games after the injury City scored 3 goals. Aguero hasn't scored since. Interestingly, Negredo hasn't scored a single goal since that Spurs game either, I don't think that's a coincidence.

The standard of opposition in the 5 games before and after the injury respectitvely definitely play a part in those figures, but 1 goal in 180 minutes against Norwich and Stoke would suggest that they aren't entirely misleading. Aguero is as important to City as Suarez is to Liverpool imo. He missed the Chelsea, Liverpool, United, and Arsenal games in the second half of the season, imagine Suarez missing all those for Liverpool. It doesn't matter how much money you spend, you're always going to miss your best player.

In terms of Chelsea's challenge, every time I've watched them since January I've thought they were missing a player like Mata. Willian, Schurrle, and Sala are more suited to counter-attacking football imo. When they have to break teams like Sunderland down their pace is of little use. Their strikers get a lot of stick, but in fairness to them they don't always get the best service, especially when Hazard is missing. I just can't get my head round letting their best player go midway through the season, I personally think it's cost them the title in the end.
City are not a one man team. Silva and Toure are match winners on their own and even Dzeko has proven that he can be one. They fvcked up

pjaya

Damn once SAF retire Liverpool will be champion :( So they are just a title away to match ours

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If Liverpool win their remaining games, in the process finish the year winning 14 on the trot, then they will be deserving Champions. They've played some amazing football this year.

iAm20Legend

If Liverpool win their remaining games, in the process finish the year winning 14 on the trot, then they will be deserving Champions. They've played some amazing football this year.
Yes, I think so. They've played well, and of course they have strikers on red hot form and they've had some luck. Chelsea and City also had to choose this year to do brilliant bottle jobs. I don't know if they'll do this well next year, but they do seem to be getting the basics right, and to set out to play well first and then wait for luck.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Now the other 2 have crumbled, they don't even need to win the 14 in a row unfortunately.

To think a while back people were saying they wouldn't even come top 4. Talk about what momentum can do.

It was meant to be Arsenal benefitting from the changes at the other top 3 teams this year!

iAm20Legend

Now the other 2 have crumbled, they don't even need to win the 14 in a row unfortunately.

To think a while back people were saying they wouldn't even come top 4. Talk about what momentum can do.

It was meant to be Arsenal benefitting from the changes at the other top 3 teams this year!
Exactly, they're just oozing confidence now because they got great momentum heading into the final ten games.
And Arsenal, doh, I never really thought they'd get past their usual crumble-after-Christmas routine.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
"He" won the CL in 2012. He really wants another EPL title.

I think Mourinho is in a must win situation next season.
The champions league is always the biggest prize.

Obviously Roman wants the league every year and mourinho might be under big pressure next season.

amolbhatia50k

I consider the Premier League title the biggest prize, but I guess that is just me.
Fair enough. Agree to disagree on that one.

The way I see it is that he premier league is a stronger indicator of strength whereas the champions league is the pinnacle of club football.

CantonaGiggs1

Fair enough. Agree to disagree on that one.

The way I see it is that he premier league is a stronger indicator of strength whereas the champions league is the pinnacle of club football.

I value the CL, it is just that I have always considered it an icing on the cake type of thing. I know how important it is financially for a club.

amolbhatia50k

I value the CL, it is just that I have always considered it an icing on the cake type of thing. I know how important it is financially for a club.
I know what you mean. I did feel this way some time back as well. That the premier league is the bread and butter and the champions league is the most ridiculously pleasing icing on the cake. But I can't help but appreciate how relevant it's become in today's game. Every club wants it, every manager wants it and a clubs standing in Europe is often decided by it. I love all our league title wins but the champions league win in 08, now that I look back, was something different, something more special.

Care_de_Bobo

City are not a one man team. Silva and Toure are match winners on their own and even Dzeko has proven that he can be one. They fvcked up
Toure went off early in the Liverpool game, and both he and Silva missed the game against Sunderland. Not saying they're a one man team, but they've definitely missed Aguero. Anyone would. Suarz would've been just as big a loss for Liverpool.

City haven't 'bottled' it is the point I'm trying to make, just because they've spent obscene amounts of money it doesn't mean those players are as good as their transfer fees would suggest and they've played at least 10 games more than Liverpool to boot. If anything, they just didn't invest very wisely before the season began and loaning Barry out when the alternatives to cover for Toure and Fernandinho were Demichelis and Javi Garcia was bordering on insanity in hindsight.

They only have themselves to blame, but it's not a bottle job. It doesn't even mean anything anyway, had Liverpool not won that penalty against West Ham, or had Kompany not gifted them a winner last week, or had Van Wolfswinkel scored that header today instead of heading it straight at Mignolet then we would probably have people talking about them bottling it when in reality they are already punching above their weight.

|Neo|x

Brendan Rodgers on Raheem Sterling:

“He is the best young player in European football at the moment”

Anyone agree with this? He is definitely up there this season amongst the best in terms of form. Pretty bold claim from Rodgers though. Has there been a better young player than him this season in Europe?

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Brendan Rodgers on Raheem Sterling:

Anyone agree with this? He is definitely up there this season amongst the best in terms of form. Pretty bold claim from Rodgers though. Has there been a better young player than him this season in Europe?
Depends what we're including as "young". He's up there certainly. I can't think of a better teenager at the moment.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Not a bold claim. Managers and players always say that stuff about their players/team mates. Rodgers also said that Gerrard is the best player in his position. Of course that isn't true. It's just manager talk. Not bold at all. Just some motivation.

Malva

it's not about form. form is the only thing sterling has ever struggled with. everything else comes absolutely naturally, the dribbling, the speed, the passing, the vision, the decision making and intelligence. He showed it all last year as well. I think he's certainly one of the top young players in europe, and if you say at the moment, sure you can say the top but form is always fluctuating and subjective. Based purely on base ability and talent i'd say sterling is just about one of the top 3-5 young players (<20) in europe. Not the best, but the best young player in the world is an absolute freak ready to tussle with the best in the world period in my opinion (kovacic).

Sir A1ex

This probably won't play well, but is anybody else getting sick of this sort of thing, week in, week out:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27096737

I have every sympathy for the pain of everybody involved in the tragedy, and I fully support their efforts for justice. But the constant use of it as a motivational tool for the current playing squad, and the wave of PR basically telling us that only LFC deserve to win the title because of the tragedy just seems cheap and crass to me.

It's important to remember the victims and look after their relatives. I do not think it's appropriate to try and use them to the team's advantage.

Last edited:

untitled_6899

This probably won't play well, but is anybody else getting sick of this sort of thing, week in, week out:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27096737

I have every sympathy for the pain of everybody involved in the tragedy, and I fully support their efforts for justice. But the constant use of it as a motivational tool for the current playing squad, and the wave of PR basically telling us that only LC deserve to win the title because of just seems cheap and crass to me.

It's important to remember the victims and look after their relatives. I do not think it's appropriate to try and use them to the team's advantage.
I've noticed this trend a lot and it seems to intensify at every anniversary of the tragedy.

They really want everyone to join in and feel what they are experiencing, doesn't sit well when this is so done so publicly.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Exactly, they're just oozing confidence now because they got great momentum heading into the final ten games.
And Arsenal, doh, I never really thought they'd get past their usual crumble-after-Christmas routine.
Arsenal's title hopes were gone the minute Ramsey and Walcott went injured for a long period. They were integral to Wenger's setup.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Liverpool are gonna lose all their remaining games now the Moyes curse has been lifted. I can feel it in my bone.

BorisontheRock

Liverpool are gonna lose all their remaining games now the Moyes curse has been lifted. I can feel it in my bone.
there was something to this effect on rawk, been the first time i dare tread over there for a while but made me smile even though its too late to lift our curse for this season!!

Gannicus

I had a feeling this might just be a season touched by the gods for Liverpool glory when we met them early on and they got their lone goal off a shot that deflected off Sturridge's back for the match winner.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Probably an unpopular opinion but shouldn't we be playing all the Liverpool players at the WC? Gerrard, Henderson, Sterling and Sturridge should all be nailed on starters for me...

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Probably an unpopular opinion but shouldn't we be playing all the Liverpool players at the WC? Gerrard, Henderson, Sterling and Sturridge should all be nailed on starters for me...
Gerrard and Sturridge will be, but I'm not sure about Henderson and Sterling. You also have to factor in that they've looked fantastic, but they've looked fantastic... in the PL. Playing at international level is a step up, and they haven't even got CL experience. I don't think that should be ignored. I don't think Henderson and Sterling will be starters for England.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Gerrard and Sturridge will be, but I'm not sure about Henderson and Sterling. You also have to factor in that they've looked fantastic, but they've looked fantastic... in the PL. Playing at international level is a step up, and they haven't even got CL experience. I don't think that should be ignored. I don't think Henderson and Sterling will be starters for England.
Henderson and Gerrard have been the best English midfielders this year though, is that even up for debate? Think Carrick would have been many peoples choice before the start of the season but he's been dire and honestly I'd I'd rather see Henderson start. He's also played with Gerrard all year and they know each other very well.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Henderson and Gerrard have been the best English midfielders this year though, is that even up for debate? Think Carrick would have been many peoples choice before the start of the season but he's been dire and honestly I'd I'd rather see Henderson start. He's also played with Gerrard all year and they know each other very well.
I dunno, I guess Barry is having a great season too, not that I'd want a midfield of Barry and Gerrard. I understand the rationale of playing Henderson with Gerrard of course, I just don't think it'd work at international level and I feel Henderson is still too inexperienced at that level. Still young though, and he's a great option to have on the bench to come in later in games, with his energy levels.

Not that I'd know how England could line up (or really care, given I don't think we'll get out of the group stages anyway).

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Sterling and Ox are the best British wingers by a mile. Both should start.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Sterling and Ox are the best British wingers by a mile. Both should start.
Is Oxlade even fully fit? Anyway, I have a bit of a problem with just choosing players on form (even though it should come into account), I think at international level football you should have a system with go to players and stick to it unless you have injuries or massive dips in form. Sterling, I'll agree he's been great for you guys for a few months now, but I think it's a big ask for Hodgson to throw him in at the deep end at international level against seasoned teams like Italy or Uruguay. I'm not sure that's doing him any favours to be perfectly honest. I think experience at international/European level shouldn't be downplayed.