Liverpool's chanting of You'll Never Walk Alone as tribute to the deceased

Big Ray

Don’t see anything wrong with it tbh. Nothing to get upset over anyway.

hobbers

Make someone else's tragedy all about you. The Ronaldo one was especially sickening because the vapid press and media all predictably lapped it up.

arthurka

Sorry I just find nothing wrong with it, I even find it a bit nice. They don't need to do it like they didn't need to do it for Ronaldo. It comes from the right place.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Strange thing to get hung up over imo.

I'm no avid fan of it, but their intentions seem harmless.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I think it's a class act, myself. It's a song that means a lot to them, and they're extending it as a sign of respect to the cause. The words offer comfort in the context, too.

We can shake our heads at how they make it all about themselves, sure. But in issues like these where footballing rivalries seem insignificant, however, I'd like to look at the gesture positively.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Having worked for many years in Liverpool, I think the intentions are decent and come from the right place, even if things sometimes seem overly-sentimental.

Does anyone else remember when the Grand National was cancelled in 1997 due to a bomb threat, and people were stranded in Liverpool unable to return to their cars? A significant number of ordinary people opened their homes to folk, so they wouldn't have to spend a night outside. It was a real gesture of community spirit.

I know we don't like their football team, but we should always be pleased when rival fans put that aside for things which are bigger than football.

Member 125398

Having worked for many years in Liverpool, I think the intentions are decent and come from the right place, even if things sometimes seem overly-sentimental.

Does anyone else remember when the Grand National was cancelled in 1997 due to a bomb threat, and people were stranded in Liverpool unable to return to their cars? A significant number of ordinary people opened their homes to folk, so they wouldn't have to spend a night outside. It was a real gesture of community spirit.

I know we don't like their football team, but we should always be pleased when rival fans put that aside for things which are bigger than football.
True but they did also start a book of condolence for a chicken one time.

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
When I go to funerals I'm going to start singing Crossroads by Bone Thugs whether I'm asked to or not.

CallyRed

When I go to funerals I'm going to start singing Crossroads by Bone Thugs whether I'm asked to or not.
As long as you were told to be silent or clap and the song means alot to you, by all means.

Last edited:

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
They sing that silly song over everything. Win - YAWN, Lose - YAWN, Win a corner - YAWN, Sun Rises - YAWN, Sun Sets - YAWN, Boss asks them to do something - YAWN, Turd gets flushed - YAWN.

RoyKeaneSaipan

Supports
Liverpool
Wow. This is a very very weird thread.

This is a huge sign of respect from the Liverpool fans. The song that means the most to them and we're singing it for christian Atsu, I'm baffled by the negative comments in here.

Djemba-Djemba

It's hard wired in me to fecking hate that song and roll my eyes whenever I hear it but this isn't a big deal I don't think.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

This is a huge sign of respect from the Liverpool fans. The song that means the most to them and we're singing it for christian Atsu, I'm baffled by the negative comments in here.
The song might mean a lot to Liverpool fans, but it's self-indulgent to think that Newcastle fans or Atsu's family would've appreciated it.

By saying it's a "huge sign of respect from the Liverpool fans" come across as very arrogant, like we should be grateful to have that sung at us.

Withnail

Am I wrong in thinking you always sing it just before kick off so singing it at that time is when you'd normally sing it anyway?

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Make someone else's tragedy all about you. The Ronaldo one was especially sickening because the vapid press and media all predictably lapped it up.
So when your team was down and out and the supporters from Liverpool showed compassion for Ronaldo a lot of supporters on here viewed that as classy but now that you are back around the top 4 you see the gesture from your rivals as selfish. No matter if you think it’s a little self serving the bottom line is they showed respect. Maybe I’m too old to have petty and cynical thoughts like yours but I can see how people are ABUs after reading that.

hobbers

So when your team was down and out and the supporters from Liverpool showed compassion for Ronaldo a lot of supporters on here viewed that as classy but now that you are back around the top 4 you see the gesture from your rivals as selfish. No matter if you think it’s a little self serving the bottom line is they showed respect. Maybe I’m too old to have petty and cynical thoughts like yours but I can see how people are ABUs after reading that.
On earth are you talking about? :lol: How well either team is doing has zero to do with it. Irrelevant.

And not many on here thought it was classy at the time either. If you wanted to be called classy you could have just applauded him or sang his name.

68cob

Certainly not "classy" posting during a United game.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
On earth are you talking about? :lol: How well either team is doing has zero to do with it. Irrelevant.

And not many on here thought it was classy at the time either. If you wanted to be called classy you could have just applauded him or sang his name.
Nah. Complaining about a good gesture is pretty bad no matter how it was done. But I can see there’s no point with discussing it with people who have the mindset that it was self serving and selfish. Not a good look for them and that’s all I’m gonna say about it.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
If that song inspired them to 6 UCL and 19 EL, I think it is some how special.
A song doesn’t inspire you to success like that. It is the hard work on and off the pitch. Else everyone will be a success based on songs that inspired them. I would probably be as rich as Musk if I just listen and sing Lose Yourself by Eminem every day.

Waynne

feck me, the song is about what it means to those fans. And singing it in tribute is a nice thing to do. Its not abusive or cringe. Its just something they do as a way tip their hat to someone who has died. Nothing wrong with it at all.
Came to say this.

wolvored

It's a song from a 1940s musical (Carousel) that they appropriated as their club song, after Gerry and the Pacemakers had a hit with it in the 1960s. I'm not sure why it's become such a big deal for Liverpool, but it's their "thing" now. After the Hillsborough tragedy I think it became even more significant for them.

Every time I hear it I always wonder how many of the supporters know the film version, which was sung by a woman.
And a lot faster as well

wolvored

Meanwhile we got glory glory Man Utd a song about USA civil war. You never walk alone was also sang at OT first as well.