Film Lord of the Rings vs Star Wars (Originals)

Fingeredmouse

The ending we should all want for both Start Wars and LOTR is for Palpatine and Sauron to bulldoze places like the shire and the forrest where the ewoks live and replace it will mass social housing.
Which basically is what Saruman is all about. Even more so in the book where he literally industrialises the Shire.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The ending we should all want for both Start Wars and LOTR is for Palpatine and Sauron to bulldoze places like the shire and the forrest where the ewoks live and replace it will mass social housing.
That is the actual ending in the book to be fair. Frodo and the hobbits return to find that Saruman (who is still alive) has demolished the shire and enslaved all the hobbits.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
That is the actual ending in the book to be fair. Frodo and the hobbits return to find that Saruman (who is still alive) has demolished the shire and enslaved all the hobbits.
Book reader, Get the feck out

I love the extended edition but I still think LOTR could have been more faithful to the books.

Sweet Square

Which basically is what Saruman is all about. Even more so in the book where he literally industrialises the Shire.
Shit you're right!

"The Scouring of the Shire" is the penultimate chapter of the epic fantasy The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien. The Fellowship hobbits, Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin, return home to the Shire to find that it is under the brutal control of ruffians and their leader "Sharkey", revealed to be the Wizard Saruman. The ruffians have despoiled the Shire, cutting down trees and destroying old houses, as well as replacing the old mill with a larger one full of machinery which pollutes the air and the water. The hobbits rouse the Shire to rebellion, lead their fellow-hobbits to victory in the Battle of Bywater, and end Saruman's rule
So the films are nothing but empty anti Saruman propaganda ? Although he still loses again. :(

Why did they leave this rather important bit out of the films ?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Shit you're right!

So the films are nothing but empty anti Saruman propaganda ? Although he still loses again. :(

Why did they leave this rather important bit out of the films ?
Jackson doesn't have the writing/directing skill to pull it off. I do think it was ultimately the right decision but I do hate the last 30mins of Return of the King, the pacing and fade to blacks piss me off no end.

In conclusion, Jackson and the film-makers do indeed feature the Scouring. They do so by giving a nod to the events during Fellowship but (rightly in my view) decided that having a full-scale Hobbit war during Return of the King would be over-long and bad for pacing. As it is, the Mirror sequence in the film serves two purposes. Firstly, it foreshadows to Frodo the terrible things that may happen if he fails. Secondly, it hints very concisely at events which happened in the books but which Jackson didn't have time to include.

Bit of a naff comparison really. Did half the world die in the process of Bond saving it? You need to remember its high fantasy written in the thirties. I feel you are missing the entire premise of the film. You're right, they have a near undefeatable army of the undead, several heroes with supernatural abilities, the most powerful wizard in the world, and guess what? They STILL rely on an unassuming hobbit to save the world. 'Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.'

You could make that over simplification for practically any film. 'We all know Michael is going to become the Godfather, why didn't we just skip the crap and have him murder the heads of all the crime families and we could be done in 5 minutes.' It's almost as if his journey is as important as the destination?

Firstly, because the cinematography and the scenes in those battles is fecking incredible. Even now watching the Ride of the Rohirrim and Gimli blowing the horn of helm hammerhand gives me goosebumps. Secondly, a hell of a lot more happens in those battles other than 'they fight.' They go a significant way in shaping what the world will be like after the fall of Sauron. From Aragorns journey to claiming his place as king, to Bormomirs salvation, to the renewed alliance between elves and men, always the story is being progressed, the sense of doom is heightened, and the characters develop. The insular wants and needs of the Individuals who rule middle earth either change as they see the bigger picture, or those individuals die, like with the case of Denethor. It immerses you in this world where these characters band together against impossible odds, right up until the battle of the black gate.
feck me ivaldo, it’s already my favorite film but this just gave me goosebumps. I know what I’m doing tomorrow.

InfiniteBoredom

Book reader, Get the feck out

I love the extended edition but I still think LOTR could have been more faithful to the books.
Not really, including things like Tom Bombadil would be quite silly.

I think they didn’t treat Gondor quite fairly though, while Rohan was deified. Faramir trying to take the ring was quite jarring, and Denethor in the book is tenfold more dignified and sympathetic.

DoomSlayer

Jackson doesn't have the writing/directing skill to pull it off. I do think it was ultimately the right decision but I do hate the last 30mins of Return of the King, the pacing and fade to blacks piss me off no end.
I definitely did not cry when Gandalf and Frodo were having their farewell.

:(

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Star Wars >>> Fellowship
Empire Strikes Back > Two Towers
Return of the Jedi < Return of the King

Sweet Square

Cheers.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Episode 8 did clmsy and horribly integrated social commentary with a scene about war profteering and animal/child abuse (?), but the extradorindary thing is the world of Star Wars does not change one bit economically in the 10(out of 11) movies I've seen, and even in a game set 3000 years before the movies, it's all the same- the technology, the relations between races, the slavery, etc.

Sweet Square

Episode 8 did clmsy and horribly integrated social commentary with a scene about war profteering and animal/child abuse (?), but the extradorindary thing is the world of Star Wars does not change one bit economically in the 10(out of 11) movies I've seen, and even in a game set 3000 years before the movies, it's all the same- the technology, the relations between races, the slavery, etc.
Nothing changes for 3000 years, you say!

End of history reference, for you uneducated slobs.

GiddyUp

Anytime I see comparisons like this I'm always disappointed that a He-Man franchise was never developed. I always felt that there was so much there but no one went for it. Sadly it's time has passed.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Not really, including things like Tom Bombadil would be quite silly.

I think they didn’t treat Gondor quite fairly though, while Rohan was deified. Faramir trying to take the ring was quite jarring, and Denethor in the book is tenfold more dignified and sympathetic.
I love Tom Bombadil though. Arwen against the wraiths was not good, pippin somehow tricking tree beard was absurd, merry lighting the beacons was terrible. Witchkings death was ok but could have been rousing, legolas jumping and skating on anything that moves was grating and scouring the shire should have been included

Green_Red

LOTR is definitely a lot better cinematically, but you would expect that given the budget, the time spent and the era. It's also a lot easier to make a great movie trilogy when someone has done all the legwork and written an absolute classic series of books.

Star Wars in that context, the era, the pioneering approach to movie making, the fact that the director also came up with the story, the smaller budget, the lack of technology available, etc. etc. All that makes Star Wars better for me.

Comparing Tolkien to Lucas, Tolkien wins. Comparing Jackson to Lucas, Jackson wins. Comparing LOTR trilogy of movies to Star Wars trilogy of movies cinematically, LOTR wins.

When it comes to ground breaking approach to cinema and storytelling with a camera, Star Wars wins all day. LOTR as a cinematic venture wouldn't have happened had it not been for the pioneering approach of Lucas. The fact that the story is full of plot holes and some of the characters are half baked just shows the brilliance of the movies. The greatest villain in cinema history. All from one persons head. Star Wars wins.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

You mean to say that LOTR actually ends? feck me ragged!

Fingeredmouse

When you can tell me why Gandalf didn't summon the eagles to travel to Mordor, we will talk more :D
If I could change one thing about these films it'd be, even above Denethor not being a ridiculous ham and fixing the ridiculous Ent moot reversal, it'd be a single line in the film to stop everyone asking this question.

In short, despite the virtual impossibility of landing fecking massive eagles in the middle of enemy territory as a vast army stands watching even if you weren't shot out of the sky or intercepted by the Nazgul in the air, the Eagles don't work for Gandalf not can he summon them.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
@ivaldo is this your longest ever post on the caf?

I love that it's in such an obscure thread. :D
You know, I think it might be. :lol: I've even kept the pissiness down to a minimum, which is odd for me.

The isolation is betting to me. The wife caught me dressing up the tomatoes and using the kids stickers to give them elaborate expressions earlier... :nervous:

ivaldo

I love Tom Bombadil though. Arwen against the wraiths was not good, pippin somehow tricking tree beard was absurd, merry lighting the beacons was terrible. Witchkings death was ok but could have been rousing, legolas jumping and skating on anything that moves was grating and scouring the shire should have been included
Tom Bombadil is brilliant but I agree with Jackson here, it just didn't progress the story enough for the screen time it would've taken to properly flesh out. The same goes for the scouring of the Shire. There was so much to tie up that starting a new, mini adventure at the end of the film would've been too much. Both work excellently in the books they just wouldn't translate well. I also liked Arwens scene with the wraiths. It brought in a little lore that casual viewers would've otherwise been aware of.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You know, I think it might be. :lol: I've even kept the pissiness down to a minimum, which is odd for me.

The isolation is betting to me. The wife caught me dressing up the tomatoes and using the kids stickers to give them elaborate expressions earlier... :nervous:
:lol:

Tis great. Love the passion. Had to do a double take half way through the read!

Sweet Square

I mean, there's a 10 minute scene where the elves sail off and leave middle earth, where they literally say, 'the time of the elves is over,' and you think there's going to be a alliance between the elves and in the new age? Not to mention that the Elves actively try, over thousands of years, to remove themselves from the outside world, looking to influence it as little as possible. Rivendell, The Woodland Realm, Gondolin are all examples of that. And they are the ones that remain in Middle Earth. The rest have already left. So it's pretty odd you try to paint the elves that way. You seem to have it arse about face.
I was just making a Christmas reference/joke, you dork. I know lockdown is making people act weird lately but maybe try lightening up a little bit and having some fun ?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I've never watched the older Star Wars films, the new ones were decent action films but didn''t think they were particularly great.

I did really enjoy the LOTR films until the ghost people or whatever they were called just saved the day. Was a huge cop-out and ruined the entire story for me.

Fingeredmouse

Tom Bombadil is brilliant but I agree with Jackson here, it just didn't progress the story enough for the screen time it would've taken to properly flesh out. The same goes for the scouring of the Shire. There was so much to tie up that starting a new, mini adventure at the end of the film would've been too much. Both work excellently in the books they just wouldn't translate well. I also liked Arwens scene with the wraiths. It brought in a little lore that casual viewers would've otherwise been aware of.
I think the rationale regarding the omission of the Scouring of the Shire sort of makes sense (although I really do think they could've pulled it off) the removal of that sequence is the main factor leading to the multiple ending fatigue.

ivaldo

I was just making a Christmas reference/joke, you dork. I know lockdown is making people act weird lately but maybe try lightening up a little bit and having some fun ?
Well if it makes you feel any better, you did a terrific job! So someone saying it is 'pretty odd' gets you this upset? You might want to take your own advice drama queen. :D

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I've never watched the older Star Wars films, the new ones were decent action films but didn''t think they were particularly great.

I did really enjoy the LOTR films until the ghost people or whatever they were called just saved the day. Was a huge cop-out and ruined the entire story for me.

Thanks for confirming your cuntinessitude

matbezlima

LOTR of course.

The Star Wars movies are riddled with plot holes, bad dialogue, clichés and even bad acting at times. I still enjoy them of course, but only because of nostalgia. Kind of like Rocky IV.
I love the Star Wars original trilogy and I respect and understand these complaints. But I will forever defend that The Empire Strikes Back is a true cinematic masterpiece.

OleBoiii

I love the Star Wars original trilogy and I respect and understand these complaints. But I will forever defend that The Empire Strikes Back is a true cinematic masterpiece.
I think it's possible for a movie to be a cinematic masterpiece while still having some flaws. And for what it's worth: The Empire Strikes back is the best written in the trilogy by far.

matbezlima

I think it's possible for a movie to be a cinematic masterpiece while still having some flaws. And for what it's worth: The Empire Strikes back is the best written in the trilogy by far.
Agree. The quality and relative maturity of its writing is mainly due to Irvin Kershner as director and Lawrence Kasdan as screenwriter