Loris Karius appreciation thread

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Have you heard the phrase "Win as a team, lose as a team"? I'm not saying they should shower him in gifts and offer to do his dishes, but just leaving him there when he's clearly not dealing well with his emotions is poor. They should have showed him he still had the support of his team despite having a shit game at the worst moment possible.
Maybe he doesn't.

He's probably cost most of these players their one shot at European glory.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Still can’t get over how bad that was.

Is that the worst performance in a major final ever?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's never going to forget what happened. He'll be reliving it when he's 80 years old like a Vietnam flashback.

Schneckerl

Still can’t get over how bad that was.

Is that the worst performance in a major final ever?
Arconada in '84 EURO and Barbosa in '50 WC made errors, but neither was close to as bad as what Karius did and he had two of them.

Zoo

Henderson was bollocking Karius publically after the semi-final so it’s hardly surprising that he offered no support to him last night. Very poor captaincy.

JSArsenal

That might be the last time he's in a Champions League final.

Its one thing to lose a final, its another when you're majorly at fault for the loss with two howlers. The only thing worse, as a footballer would be doing it in a World Cup/Euros/Copa America final.

Kostur

海尔的老板
That might be the last time he's in a Champions League final.

Its one thing to lose a final, its another when you're majorly at fault for the loss with two howlers. The only thing worse, as a footballer would be doing it in a World Cup/Euros/Copa America final.
Whot abouch the nechst year, la?

Magnus

Another mad swede
I wouldn't bring third world problems into this. No need. But i don't get the idea that a wealthy and successfull people would somehow be immune to bad things in life. I bet Enke was probably in a very dark place. Felt bad for him and his family as well. Yes, Kairus plays for the club we all in this forum love to hate. I just felt bad for him as a person.
Fair enogh

vangagal

Arconada in '84 EURO and Barbosa in '50 WC made errors, but neither was close to as bad as what Karius did and he had two of them.
Barbosa maybe not as bad as this one but the impact was absolutely massive than one can imagine. Everyone will always remember Maracanazo and he hated by whole country for the rest of his life, rejected to come close to training session just because it may bring bad luck or even commentated on it. You should know Brazil still doesnt have another black GK since then as no.1 because out of fear another Barbosa.
Karius was bad but nothing come close to what Barbosa experienced apart maybe Escobar.

Magnus

Another mad swede
So we can't feel sorry for anyone having a particularly terrible time because there are children dying in Africa? Right. :rolleyes:

I feel sorry for him. He may be a Liverpool player but he's also just a human being and he'll have woken up today to worldwide internet abuse and ridicule. I wouldn't want to know what that does to a person. Seeing him walk up to fans and holding up his hands in apology was a sad sight.
There are worse problems in this world than a goalie who plays for a fecking club I fecking hate having a bad game. And no teammate consoling him???? YOU NEVER WALK ALONE my arse

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
In a way he's still got it pretty good...he's a well-paid pro footballer playing at the highest level, and he got the chance to play in a CL final even though he was really nowhere near good enough to be there. He'll earn more in his career than the vast majority of people and despite his errors will no doubt come away from football with plenty to remember.

But I'd imagine last night would've still taken its toll on him, and a rich professional footballer is still a person with their own troubles and worries. So if last night does have a lasting impact on him mentally then hopefully he gets any help he needs etc. For as bad as he was he certainly seemed to care.

Skills

Snitch
Barbosa maybe not as bad as this one but the impact was absolutely massive than one can imagine. Everyone will always remember Maracanazo and he hated by whole country for the rest of his life, rejected to come close to training session just because it may bring bad luck or even commentated on it. You should know Brazil still doesnt have another black GK since then as no.1 because out of fear another Barbosa.
Karius was bad but nothing come close to what Barbosa experienced apart maybe Escobar.
Dida was no.1 no?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Apart from Ter Stegen and Neuer, all these German goalies seem so dodgy. Trapp, Leno etc all had their fair share of horrendous goalkeeping displays.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Apart from Ter Stegen and Neuer, all these German goalies seem so dodgy. Trapp, Leno etc all had their fair share of horrendous goalkeeping displays.
Yep, that's worrying. Though I wouldn't put Leno with Karius right now because Leno has put in more consistent performances.

Ter Stegen, Neuer and Leno are decent options but the rest have to catch up and be more consistent.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
The mistake for the third goal was big but you'd see that kind of thing once every weekend, maybe.

The first goal though, that will go down in history.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
It's conflicting isn't it? In one sense you feel sorry for him, that's a horrific thing to have to deal with. This could genuinely ruin him, and I'm not just talking about his career. Hundreds of millions of people watched that happen, the guy is only 24. He'll need a lot of help from the people around him and it really is a shame.

At the same time.. the mistakes are just so inexcusable. There are professional keepers who will make an error similar to that second goal at some stage in their career.. but for it to happen in a CL final? You just can't do that. And the first mistake.. I almost wouldn't call it a goalkeeping error because none of us would be stupid enough to do what he did. I can't find the words for it.

Also, his teammates and the staff at Liverpool are an utter disgrace. I understand they're probably reeling inside but you have to console him when that match ends. You never see a whole squad of players and staff so publicly and ruthlessly turn their back on a player like that, especially a 24 yo lad who clearly wasn't good enough in the first place..

..and that brings be onto Klopp. Everyone in the entire footballing world has known for absolutely ages that they needed a new goalkeeper. It is insane incompetence. Of course he can never expect those kind of errors to occur from his goalkeeper but he should never be stuck choosing between Mignolet and Karius at this stage. He's at fault as much as anyone.

Schneckerl

The mistake for the third goal was big but you'd see that kind of thing once every weekend, maybe.

The first goal though, that will go down in history.
Not sure about that I think that would make the top 3 GK blunders this season in the EPL.

How many of those are worse for example?

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Of course, I hope his mental health is fine but there are no excuses for Karius, as far as I'm concerned. Two of the most basic errors you will see, and there is absolutely no way he should be number one next season. I can completely understand why the players would be frustrated with him, in the heat of the moment.

He is paid enough to live a much more privileged lifestyle than 99.9% of the world and I'm sure will go on to have a decent career. There are people going through far, far worse. So feck the overly sanctimonious bullshit.

Red Stone

Maybe he doesn't.

He's probably cost most of these players their one shot at European glory.
Then that's something they can deal with in the dressing room or back on the training ground instead of exposing themselves as heartless bastards in front of an audience of possibly billions.

Ainu

There are worse problems in this world than a goalie who plays for a fecking club I fecking hate having a bad game. And no teammate consoling him???? YOU NEVER WALK ALONE my arse
No one asks you to care, you were the one playing the children in Africa card because someone else felt sorry for him.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Mia Khalifa commented on his Insta photo, basically complimenting his looks. Why the feck should we feel sorry for the guy :lol: