Louis Van Gaal | 2015-16 Performance Thread

Van Gaal: The verdict

• 1) Sack him now.

• 2) Sack him at the end of the season.

• 3) Let him see out his contract and part ways after that.

• 4) Extend his contract.

• Undecided (between 1 and 2).

• Undecided (between 2 and 3).

• Undecided (between 3 and 4, if things improve before his contract expires, extend).

Results are only viewable after voting.

FromTheBench

Few Spurs fan on twitter going on about how they dodged a bullet with LVG and how they would take pochettino instead everyday.

Finding it tough to disagree at this point.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ancelotti is the man. He's free, he'd get far more out of this group of players than Van Gaal can ever hope to.
There's zero guarantee about that. It could just mess with the players' even more. Ancelotti isn't even the sort of manager you want in a transitional phase. He seems more suited to teams with genuine quality where he can quietly go about this job rather than do some serious improving and repair. But maybe I underrate those aspects of his managment.

All I know is I'm very confident of a good league finish this season LVG in charge and I don't have all that much faith in the players that they wont do a 13/14 type collapse under a new guy in the middle of the season.

Summer seems like the right time if you want a change.

RedRover

The muppets and knee jerkers said that Moyes was a clown and had to go. The 'real fans' preached patience. Once again the muppets and knee jerkers are calling for the same action, and I fear they'll be proven right once again.

Today turned it for me. Van Gaal will never be good enough. He's a dead man walking at this point. Just counting the clock until he leaves. In the interim missing out on far superior coaches. Pep and Carlo will be missed next.
A criticism of Van Gaal now isn't even a "knee jerk" reaction - it's just people running out of patience and getting sick of waiting for things to improve.

It's 18 months of dross, apart from 5 games set year where we clicked. Sadly it seems that was just pure fluke.

Jerch

Few Spurs fan on twitter going on about how they dodged a bullet with LVG and how they would take pochettino instead everyday.

Well Pochettino did a wonderful job at Spurs and i would also without a doubt swap LVG for him because i rate Pochettino so much.

Dé jonge god

Guy zaps all the joy out of the team. Sending every player on the pitch with a book full of instructions and it has to go according to Louis in detail. No deviations allowed otherwise you're not playing in the philosophy and you get benched.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
A criticism of Van Gaal now isn't even a "knee jerk" reaction - it's just people running out of patience and getting sick of waiting for things to improve.

It's 18 months of dross, apart from 5 games set year where we clicked. Sadly it seems that was just pure fluke.
No it is certainly not knee-jerk. It has been building up for a while and tonight has been what has tipped people over the edge.

Skills

Snitch
There's zero guarantee about that. It could just mess with the players' even more. Ancelotti isn't even the sort of manager you want in a transitional phase. He seems more suited to teams with genuine quality where he can quietly go about this job rather than do some serious improving and repair. But maybe I underrate those aspects of his managment.

All I know is I'm very confident of a good league finish this season LVG in charge and I don't have all that much faith in the players that they wont do a 13/14 type collapse under a new guy in the middle of the season.

I think there is quality in this squad though. Not CL winning quality or PL dominating quality, but there's enough in this squad to genuinely compete at the top end of the league playing good football and also hopefully win a cup. The transition is over, we just need someone to come in and take us to the next level. If we have to completely, overhaul the squad again next summer then we have completely failed in the last 2 years of Van Gaal's management. Transition shouldn't take 3 whole seasons with the amount of money we've been investing.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Five games built on tactics Van Gaal decided to ditch in the summer. Another of his unexplainable decisions.

He's had all the support any manager at a top club could want. Fans, players, senior management, all have backed him. He's failed. His philosophy is snake oil, a pale imitation of the attack minded game he used to espouse. A performance coach is all he is now, like that book said, and we need more than that.

RedRover

No it is certainly not knee-jerk. It has been building up for a while and tonight has been what has tipped people over the edge.
It's shame - I really felt he was a safe pair of hands to guide us through a rough patch. As it is he just seems unable to get anything out of the players - even players he's signed.

He just looks devoid of ideas. The result was bad tonight but the subs told a story for me.

itso 7

Mid season collapse? What do you think this is, man? Out of two cups and slowly but surely sliding down the table because we can't score in a whore house. At this stage I'm not sure LvG can achieve a top four finish but we could rescue the season by hiring the right guy now and backing him with a few million pounds.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Mid season collapse? What do you think this is, man? Out of two cups and slowly but surely sliding down the table because we can't score in a whore house. At this stage I'm not sure LvG can achieve a top four finish but we could rescue the season by hiring the right guy now and backing him with a few million pounds.
We're not slowly falling down the table, we are pretty much consistently stuck in 2nd/3rd and occasionaly 4th with one week where we were top. We haven't been out of the top 4 for months.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Its the truth though, its not childish. We have attacking football on this night and we go out in the worst way possible. Be careful what you wish for.
So you think we went out of the group because of a more attacking display against Wolfsburg away (hardest game in the group) and not the dull stuff against PSV and CSKA?

amolbhatia50k

Forgotten 13/14? That's a collapse. Going out of cups is something we've done before even under the genius himself.

It's not ideal but we look like we have a shot at winning the league, and I'm confident of top 4 at least. I don't think we need rescuing.

What we could do is improve in the summer on current manager which is debatable and I'd reserve judgement till we see how the league shapes up.

kidbob

Regardless of how you feel about him the fact is that we should be going hell for leather to get Guardiola this summer. No more bullshitting around, no more talk of Giggs or Neville, go get it sorted now. Woodward had better be sounding him out and if he's game then LVG should be gone at the end of the season.

itso 7

We're not slowly falling down the table, we are pretty much consistently stuck in 2nd/3rd and occasionaly 4th with one week where we were top. We haven't been out of the top 4 for months.
So we wait until we are truly out of the top four to act? With the trend we are on of not being able to create/score enough it's a matter of when and rather than repeat the mistakes of the Moyes era we should act now before the season is a write off, appoint a better manager who can more out of the current group and invest in the side next month.

RedRover

Five games built on tactics Van Gaal decided to ditch in the summer. Another of his unexplainable decisions.

He's had all the support any manager at a top club could want. Fans, players, senior management, all have backed him. He's failed. His philosophy is snake oil, a pale imitation of the attack minded game he used to espouse. A performance coach is all he is now, like that book said, and we need more than that.
Indeed. Totally agree. The "philosophy" nonsense he comes out with would be derided by United fans if it came from
Brendan Rogers. There seems to be no substance to it at all.

He's had all he could need but frankly has that air of a man who the modern game is passing by. His possession game comes without threat, we're easy to defend against, his substitutions bizarre and the carousel of who's in favour and who isn't is endless.

What's happening is toxic. There are unhappy players, a lot of unhappy fans and a manager who had spent £250 million to make us a bit better than we were. So far the Van Gaal experiment is a disaster.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Lots of issues with him but we shouldnt lose sight of the fact this is a very young and inexperienced team being asked to peform at a high level with lots at stake. Some degree of patience is required, with the young players at least.

Maybe the players we let go are better individuals currently, but what if in 3 years our current group grow even stronger than Nani's, Kagawa's, Chicahrito's, Welbeck's etc ever could.

Last edited:

bugmat

For every positive Van Gaal's brought there is a glaring, and imho easily avoided negative.

Play youngsters - good. Play youngsters with seniors who should be dropped - bad

Sell deadwood - good. Sell deadwood w/o adequately replacing them - bad.

Shore up defence - good. Shore up defence to absolute detriment of attack - bad.

Implement passing game - good. Implement passing game slower than my grannie's 5-a-side - bad.

Play possession football - good. Play possession football with least chances created ever - bad.

Play attacking side - good. Play attacking side with unsuitable defensive balance - bad.

podurban2

We can still win the league, positive thinking lads, not much we can do about it but looking like crying babies anyway.

amolbhatia50k

Regardless of how you feel about him the fact is that we should be going hell for leather to get Guardiola this summer. No more bullshitting around, no more talk of Giggs or Neville, go get it sorted now. Woodward had better be sounding him out and if he's game then LVG should be gone at the end of the season.
That's a complete no-brainer. It's the kind of singing that could elevate us a few notches. Fail to do so, and you could see City disappearing past us.

RedRover

So you think we went out of the group because of a more attacking display against Wolfsburg away (hardest game in the group) and not the dull stuff against PSV and CSKA?
This is spot on.

Left ourselves too much to do. Had to be open away to the best team in the group because we passed the ball to death with no urgency in the PSV game at home, especially in the last 30 minutes.

RedRover

Lots of issues with him but we shouldnt lose sight of the fact this is a very young and experienced team being asked to peform at a high level with lots at stake. Some degree of patience is required, with the young players at least.

Maybe the players we let go are better individuals currently, but what if in 3 years our current group grow even stronger than Nani's, Kagawa's, Chicahrito's, Welbeck's etc ever could.
hes chucking young players in without rhyme or reason.

Injuries are bad as it stands. That isn't his fault. Letting players go without replacing them and not having enough depth is his fault.

Things started to fall apart when Shaw got crocked and our left back cover was already a regular at centre half.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
hes chucking young players in without rhyme or reason.

Injuries are bad as it stands. That isn't his fault. Letting players go without replacing them and not having enough depth is his fault.

Things started to fall apart when Shaw got crocked and our left back cover was already a regular at centre half.
I think your right im just blinded by the fact he's giving lots of young players oppurtunities which im always pleased to see.

Loon

:lol:
I don't even know any more. We bin Van Gaal and in another 18 months we'll want to bin the next one and on and on. I thought we weren't supposed to make the mistakes of the past? Nothing guaranteed. Ask a dipper the same question in 1991.

Adebesi

He had the whole summer to make signings that would make his ideal 4-3-3 work even better. Sticks with inconsistent players because reasons.
That's one thing I don't understand, why he didn't do that, why he seems to have abandoned that idea of having a holding, attacking and box-to-box tripartite.

It is tough. At this point there's hope. That's all. Hope that the mitigating circumstances you argued last month and last week and yesterday are still valid and things could still come good. Injuries. Decisions. Time needed for the squad to gel. Confidence.

I thought something Van Gaal had was that big game temperament, or luck, or something that would see us through. So I'm disappointed. But the club aren't going to sack him now so all he can do is respond, steer the team to a long and very good run. It's getting harder to believe he'll actually do it, but he still might.

If he doesn't and we don't win anything and/or finish top 2 I think we should probably look for a new manager in the summer.

ZDwyr

The Mata for Powell substitution was just bizarre. Why wasn't Pereira brought on instead? I would cut him some slack with the injuries, because they are piling up, but his insistence on having a small squad negates that really. Lots of pressure on him to do well in the league. Really we lost the chance to qualify in the CL with the PSV home game.