Louis Van Gaal | 2015-16 Performance Thread

Van Gaal: The verdict

• 1) Sack him now.

• 2) Sack him at the end of the season.

• 3) Let him see out his contract and part ways after that.

• 4) Extend his contract.

• Undecided (between 1 and 2).

• Undecided (between 2 and 3).

• Undecided (between 3 and 4, if things improve before his contract expires, extend).

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sam

Anyone able to actually think of anything he's doing well? Or anything that he's doing better then another 'top' manager would be able to do?

Question234

Enough. Any manager at any other top club would be getting pelters but Van Gaal has had a relatively easy ride up to now because of his CV.

The fans need to get in the faces of the Glazers and wake them up.
No, that's stupid.

If he goes mid season we'll have giggs which is a bigger risk.

itso 7

Robbed from elsewhere. Since the 4-2 City game last April:

Played 21 league games.
Scored 23 league goals.
Juan Mata top scorer with 5 goals, no one else has scored more than 3.

The lowest amount is 22 goals. Shared by Newcastle, West Brom and Swansea City.

23 is same number of goals scored by Aston Villa and Sunderland.
Good Lord we've that bad? Sack the idiot because we are just going to waste more money with him and continue our decline.

Spoony

The People's President
We've got a very difficult run of fixtures after the Norwich game...until March. April and May look doable though. On paper.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He won't finish the season as our manager.
If he remains in the top three and close enough to the #1 spot, then we wont sack him no matter what happens in the other competitions. Lets face it, unfortunately we wont sack him this season. Maybe, just maybe at the end of the season there is a chance depending on where we finish in the premier league.

Rednotdead

No, that's stupid.

If he goes mid season we'll have giggs which is a bigger risk.
I didn't mean get rid of him right now, but the Glazers must be made aware of the level of dissatisfaction and make preparations to replace him in the Summer. This just isn't good enough.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan

Well a manager has to manage the board room relations, media,team and fans. Fo van gaal
Board room : I think they will back him until top 4 position is a problem
Media : They have turned on him
Fans : Most have turned on him, any defenders of his management are far and few.
Team : The noises out of dressing room are not good, he might not have lost the dressing room.......... YET. Saying bastian hasnt been good enough this season, while protecting Rooney, not playing herrera/mata etc will not be winning him any fans in the locker room.

I think 2 of the above 4 pillars of manager are definitely gone, the third (team) is cracking and when iit does, board will have to take action just like they had to when it was moyes.
His managerial career like many is dying a slow inevitable death right now and i dont think there is a fix unless he can unearth an absolute gem in january and take united to top 3.

podurban2

No need to heap anymore shit on Louis. He knows he's messed up big time. If things don't improve I'm sure he'll resign. Regardless of what people think of him, I do believe he's got honour, and will do the right thing if it's not working. He won't hang around.

Just saw a picture of our supporters pointing and shouting aggressively at him after the game - just as he's going into the tunnel - right in his face. The look on the face..... part sadness, part fright - After seeing that, any frustrations I have with him just disappeared. Negativity and anger going too far now.
Where did you see that picture? Care to share?

Treble

If he remains in the top three and close enough to the #1 spot, then we wont sack him no matter what happens in the other competitions. Lets face it, unfortunately we wont sack him this season. Maybe, just maybe at the end of the season there is a chance depending on where we finish in the premier league.
I don't expect this to happen. IMO, around February he'll get the sack. Or he will resign.

Question234

The media were waiting for this, from the second he arrived they have been licking their fingers.

Feck those scumbags.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They should if we don't end up hiring Pep.
Who would you replace him with?

Keep in mind that Ancelotti is not interested in joining anyone right now.

He said "I will not take a job in mid-season, but I would like to work again next summer."

He wants to start with a summer to plan and build at his next job.

LeftyBlaster

Who would you replace him with?

Keep in mind that Ancelotti is not interested in joining anyone right now.

He said "I will not take a job in mid-season, but I would like to work again next summer."

He wants to start with a summer to plan and build at his next job.
:lol: you confused me by quoting me twice I had to check I wasn't crazy when I saw your name twice.

I voted in this and the other thread to sack LVG at the end of the season. I wouldn't do it now; we don't need more turmoil as it is. And people can lynch me for saying so but I have no faith in Giggs as a manager. It's still a long way and we should already be trying out best to tempt either one of Pep/Ancelotti. There's still just over half the season to go and that might be enough to give either of them plenty of time to think about things and observe.

amolbhatia50k

:lol: you confused me by quoting me twice I had to check I wasn't crazy when I saw your name twice.

I voted in this and the other thread to sack LVG at the end of the season. I wouldn't do it now; we don't need more turmoil as it is. And people can lynch me for saying so but I have no faith in Giggs as a manager. It's still a long way and we should already be trying out best to tempt either one of Pep/Ancelotti. There's still just over half the season to go and that might be enough to give either of them plenty of time to think about things and observe.
:lol: I have no idea how I quoted you. Now I need to figure out who I intended to quote.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
There was a good comment on TV: it was obvious that he was doing well with giving us a foundation. However, we never were able to do the next step and move up from that point. We havent developped as we should have and I doubt we will under LVG with Giggs as an assistant

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It doesn't help our shape when Fellaini's always quite erratic positionally as well.
Fellaini is a complete different problem for me - he is just not good enough. But just look at Schweini's or Mata's positon during the game. They always changed and it made us lose shape. Mata was playing as the deepest midfielder at times and Basti and Fellaini were on the wings which lead to the point we had no one in central midfield. Just no one

amolbhatia50k

There was a good comment on TV: it was obvious that he was doing well with giving us a foundation. However, we never were able to do the next step and move up from that point. We havent developped as we should have and I doubt we will under LVG with Giggs as an assistant
Why is that important?

amolbhatia50k

I dont believe he should be there and I dont want to see him as a manager either. We can only speculate how much he does / does not though
I agree that he shouldn't be manager. It would be bonkers on our part. But I don't think it affects us. LVG has the chap with him that's always been with him everywhere so he's got his usual team anyway. Giggs gives his input and learns as well. I don't think it has negative repercussions.

RedRover

It is tough. At this point there's hope. That's all. Hope that the mitigating circumstances you argued last month and last week and yesterday are still valid and things could still come good. Injuries. Decisions. Time needed for the squad to gel. Confidence.

I thought something Van Gaal had was that big game temperament, or luck, or something that would see us through. So I'm disappointed. But the club aren't going to sack him now so all he can do is respond, steer the team to a long and very good run. It's getting harder to believe he'll actually do it, but he still might.

If he doesn't and we don't win anything and/or finish top 2 I think we should probably look for a new manager in the summer.
The "hope" seems to me to be blind hope.

It's all too scattergun. I don't see how things will suddenly "gel" when we have a lack of quality in the squad and the system seems incapable (based on what we've seen) of producing any more than sporadic attacking threat.

Last nights random subs were a new low. Young left on the bench for a kid, Powell on instead of Pereira? Bizarre. It smacks of just trying anything because you're desperate. It certainly doesn't match up with the assessment of him being some kind of tactical genius.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
The media were waiting for this, from the second he arrived they have been licking their fingers.

Feck those scumbags.
They never liked him at all.That much was obvious from the start. Now that they smell blood, they'll tear him to pieces. I expect him to lose it with them just like his first Barca stint. On a personal level, you almost have to feel pity for him. The English press are savages.

I still want him gone though.

Adebesi

The "hope" seems to me to be blind hope.

It's all too scattergun. I don't see how things will suddenly "gel" when we have a lack of quality in the squad and the system seems incapable (based on what we've seen) of producing any more than sporadic attacking threat.

Last nights random subs were a new low. Young left on the bench for a kid, Powell on instead of Pereira? Bizarre. It smacks of just trying anything because you're desperate. It certainly doesn't match up with the assessment of him being some kind of tactical genius.
I disagree about the lack of quality, I think we have some good players who will get better. I'd say the system seems incapable of producing a consistent attacking threat because the players aren't settled, with each other and in some cases with the league. I think as they settle they might improve.

But I agree it increasingly looks like desperate hope. And about the substitutions.

dcullivanio

Serious doubts now, though they've been there for most of this season, and even his ardent fans can't exactly keep pointing to 'results over style', we've drawn 4 of our last 6 and are lying 4th with just three more points compared to last season at this stage, and anything but a win away to Wolfsburg and we're probably out of a very winnable group in the CL, already out of the (admittedly less important) League Cup, with performances still rubbish and far too many players wholly out of form, the season could be very well in jeopardy if things don't change. I'm already hearing talk of a big spend in January and I'm just rolling my eyes in response, who are we spunking stupid amounts at now? Mahrez/Vardy/Ighalo or some other flavour of the month? Or are we going to waste our time trying to 'bring Ronnie home' or prize some unhappy star out of form?

The job of a coach is to get the best out of the players available to him and request improvements when necessary, as in you have to do the first in order to get a chance at the second, Moyes didn't do this and was rightly sacked before he had the chance to get his hands on the transfer budget again. Van Gaal did the bare minimum last season and got us 4th, great, wonderful, but we expected progress from that this season, and aside from the back end, I think we've gone backwards. We play with no tempo, no intent, happy to pass the opposition to death and rely on the odd bit of Martial magic or rare decent cross. There's absolutely no cohesion to the team's attack, no clear blueprint or tactical nous involved. He refuses to change our basic setup and his only 'plan b' is to throw on Fellaini to try and knock down Ashley Young's floaty crosses to the backpost. He refuses to change the approach of the team on the pitch and instead makes a whole set of usually bizarre changes, often leaving on out of form players who clearly aren't having their day. He has tried to shoehorn the players he has into this philosophy of his, instead of doing what most managers do and adapting and modifying their philosophy to suit the players available. Imagine Guardiola going into West Brom expecting them to play like like his Barca/Bayern sides, it would be hilariously bad to watch.

His squad management has been next to laughable. He decides to gut most of the squad players, fine, some of them weren't up to scratch, whatever, but he still had to replace them, and didn't, now we have our oh so surprising injury crisis #453, and lookie here, we're lacking squad depth in several positions and have to plug in players out of position and throw in youngsters. I was sure after 3 transfer windows he'd have the team prepared for a big season but after the joke of an end to last summer he goes into the season with Januzaj as our no.10, oh so he has real faith in this new setup? Nope, loaned out after the first month and we change our first 11 again. This just tells me he was making it up as he went along and didn't have a clue as to what his first 11 was. We go into the season with Rooney and Martial as our only true striker options? How shocking that injuries/form would make this a problem. The team he has that aren't performing are his own doing and I have no sympathy for him, and I honestly would not trust another 100/200m with him again.

And of course we have all the excuses from certain fans at the ready. Whether it's Rooney's/Mata's/Memphis's/Carrick's fault, or the whole team not being good enough to form a single attack, us lacking a Messi/Ronaldo/Neymar to do it all on their own, or all those individual mistakes, or all those mean midtable sides coming to play for a draw, or the referees, or bad luck or whatever, it's usually not HIS fault. I saw this under Moyes, he had the whole school of 'it's not my fault' out in force, it's complete whataboutery and just avoids the main problem. So many of our fans are (once again) more than happy to throw the whole team under the bus just to avoid possibly blaming the manager for these shite performances, utterly bizarre. We've seen an out of form Rooney become the sole scapegoat for this place, completely saving LVG from the flak he gets. I can't blame Van Gaal for every little thing gone wrong under his tenure, but I can say that the buck does indeed stop with him, and if he can't sufficiently get the best out of this team and get them performing then I don't believe he should continue as manager. Things could change, we could beat Wolsfurg and get our act together, but it's hard to be positive about this team, and it's manager right now.

Very well said, as the bolded bit above points out, there are clearly a multitude of factors at play but indeed the buck does have to stop somewhere. That said, if he were to go now, then what do we do to the end of the season? We're currently third in the table only 3 points from the top. Would changing him take away our new found solidity and mean we would slip down, or would a new idea allow the team to turn those draws into wins and scrape a title out of nowhere. If we were fourth but the top two were say Chelsea and City showing indomitable form then I think we wouldn't have a chance. But the league is so inconsistent that we actually do have a chance at this title - which is madness considering the standard of football we're currently playing!

The media have clearly turned on LVG and are baying for blood now. I personally think he's got some things right but quite a lot wrong. He isn't doing a bad job - certainly not as bad as some would have us believe, but he certainly isn't doing as well as he could have, especially considering the transformation of playing staff that he's been able to oversee. With the amount of ins and outs from the squad under his reign we should have more balance regardless of injuries. The whole striker debacle is real sticking point for me that any fool could have predicted would blow up in his face.

The future is definitely not looking bright no matter how you look at it. Even if we are meandering in the right direction the tumescent style of football is just too much to bear. Last night was a completely different type of match to recent weeks and there was some excitement in it. That said it shows how frail our defence can be when the rest of the team is 'allowed' to attack. It simply strengthens my own personal view that we've been playing so conservatively/safely/defensively as a unit simply to reduce the pressure on the defence. But again, if he's playing like that because he knows our defence is actually week then why didn't he do more to address it in the summer window. His decision making seems to be completely at odds with everybody else and some of his actions/decisions just defy belief.

I really don't want United to become a hire and fire club like ever other, but at the same time they don't want to get in a situation like the Scousers did in the early 90's by always talking about the promise of 'next season' - all the while holding our heads up proudly but crossing our fingers behind our backs!

RedRover

I disagree about the lack of quality, I think we have some good players who will get better. I'd say the system seems incapable of producing a consistent attacking threat because the players aren't settled, with each other and in some cases with the league. I think as they settle they might improve.

But I agree it increasingly looks like desperate hope. And about the substitutions.
We haven't got enough going forward in my opinion. Relying on a 20 year old for goals is madness. He's done well but looks to me like he needs a break or at least time without having to carry the burden. And we lack pace overall.

Something needs to change drastically. Last night is a good marker because for all we want to see more attacking football, it seems we leave ourselves wide open if we do. The system seems flawed.

It's a sorry state of affairs.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
We have a decent team but are severely lacking upfront. Rooney is finished, Memphis has been underwhelming and Martial is too young to carry our attack on his own.

We weren't good enough in the CL because of the way we played. We aren't good enough to win the league as we have no quality upfront. This is ultimately Van Gaal's fault - so much money spent, he got rid of RVP, chich, wellbeck etc but really never replaced them properly. He simply has to go but the club won't sack him till the inevitable shit hits the fan towards the end of the season. He's really lucky Chelsea have been shit this season - which means one less team competing with us for the 4th spot - although the way Leicester have been playing...who knows.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't think he's done himself any favors with the team selection yesterday, not least the subs. If it was a continuation of going with youth then fair enough, but to start with a very inexperienced player and then throw 2 more on, whilst all the burden of expectation is on a 20 year old up front is unfair to those players. I'm not sure he's elaborated in his mind what the "total human being principle" consists of. Maybe it's his way of reminding himself that people aren't robots.

The continued criticism of Schweinsteiger after the game I also thought was poor from Louis. He's not taken any criticism himself and dodged every question that laid things out bare: that for United not to qualify was weak.

He's installed organisation and made us more solid at the back. He's steered us back into top 4 and gotten rid of some players who weren't good enough (and probably some who are). And that's it really. Moyes took over the team and destroyed all the confidence it had. Louis followed and restored some of it but his era will be the era of false dawns. Many times during a season one things it's finally happening, the team is starting to look good and finding confidence, even many times during a game (yesterday a case in point). But it doesn't pan out.

His squad is too thin, in terms of lack of quality. We pick up too many injuries so you have to wonder about training. The style of play works at times, but when teams press us we lose the composure and when we are desperate for goals they are too hard to come by.

IMO it wouldn't make any sense to change managers mid season but the board must be thinking about a change after the season.

I'd be surprised if he's not seriously starting to lose the dressing room.

IwatUwat

Fellaini didnt work yesterday.

Away from home to leave Bastian in the middle on his own, we basically played 4 - 1 - 3 - 1 ... with Mata, Fellaini, Depay and Linard all attacking. Was a bold formation I thought and Bastian got caught on his own far too much. Like for their second goal (good goal but bad defensively)

Question234

That picture is so depressing :(

Lvg did this to himself.

Why would you think less players could stretch over more games this season ? He started the season with some risks and they have blown up in his face. I like the guy, I respect his work but all he needed was another forward imo.

smalling, darmian, jones and shaw all out now. Could be a messy few weeks.

If this season has proven anything so far, it's that the approach of "only" settling for the worlds best players is a method that carries tons of risk.