Louis Van Gaal - Conference - Falcao and Blind unveiled - 11.09.14

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Pure class although how does that explain keeping Young and Valencia?
Doesn't explain Fellaini or Fletcher either, especially making Fletcher vice-captain!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Obviously, there might be something lost in translation but his comments about Welbeck are kind of stupid.

"He doesn't have the same record of Van Persie or Rooney. That is the standard. That is why we let him go."

He's comparing two world class strikers in their prime with a young up and coming striker who hasn't even been given a decent run of his games in his preferred positions. Apples and oranges.

Trizy

What did LvG mean by "that's the standard"?

Also what did he say about Welbeck?

Didn't see the presser, someone help.
He said Welbeck was here three years and has not the record of Van Persie or Rooney so that's why he was shipped off and finished that sentence with ''That's the standard'' Basically saying we need RVPs and Rooneys and not Welbecks and Chichs. Fair considering how big the club is.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Obviously, there might be something lost in translation but his comments about Welbeck are kind of stupid.

"He doesn't have the same record of Van Persie or Rooney. That is the standard. That is why we let him go."

He's comparing two world class strikers in their prime with a young up and coming striker who hasn't even been given a decent run of his games in his preferred positions. Apples and oranges.
They were extremely harsh and a tad disappointing. Have you read Wenger's comments about Welbeck?

Seems even more stupid and a tad demoralising for Welbeck.

Conrad

Poor old Blind. Decided to tally up the questions asked to each of them and Blind was asked 3 questions compared to 5 for LVG and 10 for Falcao. Then the press conference ends with Van Gaal holding Falcao's hand while he encourages the journos to give him a round of applause for speaking English.

legball

Welbeck now plays for Arsenal, let it go. We have 3 strikers who are COMFORTABLY better than him, and yes, we must aspire to a high level, Welbeck is currently not at that level.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
They were extremely harsh and a tad disappointing. Have you read Wenger's comments about Welbeck?

The full version was fine. He explained that if he hadn't been travelling he wouldn't have been contactable as early in the morning as he was. Which allowed them to get the ball rolling in time to push the deal through.

Trizy

True, although both players were miles better than Welbeck at his age, as strikers/goal scorers anyway.

sajeev

Welbeck now plays for Arsenal, let it go. We have 3 strikers who are COMFORTABLY better than him, and yes, we must aspire to a high level, Welbeck is currently not at that level.
and yet went to a club which finished higher than us, and higher in the pecking order

KM

The full version was fine. He explained that if he hadn't been travelling he wouldn't have been contactable as early in the morning as he was. Which allowed them to get the ball rolling in time to push the deal through.
Also said that he wanted to sign him on a loan deal with a view of permanent rather than straight up permanent.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

Nooe, Wenger's were misinterpreted, he meant if he hadn't left for Rome that day, he wouldn't be able to wake up as early as at 6 to take care of this transfer. At least that's what I got from that.

KM

and yet went to a club which finished higher than us, and higher in the pecking order
That really doesn't mean anything.

If Wenger was really that keen on Welbeck, he'd have signed him earlier. Heck if Giroud hadn't got injured, I doubt they'd have signed Danny.

RedorDead21

Welbeck asked to leave last season! Note he kept his mouth shut as soon as LVG came in.....laughable him asking to leave.

Kag

Agreed. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though, he isn't stupid enough to have looked at the goalscoring records and made a decision on that basis alone. I still disagree with his call, but I can understand his reasoning I suppose.

KM

That's just stating the obvious, though. Given the choice I'm sure every manager would prefer that with every new signing.
Why'd you sign a young player on a loan with view for permanent deal knowing fully well that there's a chance that some other club can entice him at the end of the year?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
:lol:

One of the reasons I don't think Falcao will improve us as much as people seem to think. It's not like a failure to convert chances has been the problem.
RvP has been guilty of missing a few chances throughout the last year, whether it was a bad touch or movement not being sharp enough. Also in the big CL games (Real home and away) RvP missed some good chances.
Rooneys movement and dynamism has been non--existent for a while now.

Falcao's movement and Di Marias quality will be a huge difference for us this season. Although it'd be interesting to see if the effect Di Maria would've had would be the same if we didn't sign Falcao. As it is, we don't need to worry, we have both :D:D

legball

Who cares about that? They have Sanogo and Giroud, so they don't really have top class options, do they? Chicharito went to Real Madrid too, a better club than Arsenal, and many of you think he's rubbish. I don't understand the hysteria about Welbeck being sold to Arsenal. We have always bettered them until the disaster that was Moyes last season. He's now at another club, he was never world class and at this time, it was the right decision. Whether he proves the club wrong , we will see. And he was replaced with someone world class.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
More tweets :

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Agreed. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though, he isn't stupid enough to have looked at the goalscoring records and made a decision on that basis alone. I still disagree with his call, but I can understand his reasoning I suppose.
Yeah. I think Van Gaal's turn of phrase will create a lot of confusion this season. He might have just been talking about what Rooney/RvP had already achieved when they were Danny's age.

Absolutely no idea what Falcao's record was like, aged 23, mind you.

Jev

His Welbeck comment was unneccessary. Also, it suggests LVG wanted him out just as much as Welbeck wanted to leave. Very disappointed with that.

Kag

Yeah. I think Van Gaal's turn of phrase will create a lot of confusion this season. He might have just been talking about what Rooney/RvP had already achieved when they were Danny's age.

Absolutely no idea what Falcao's record was like, aged 23, mind you.
Yup, sometimes he comes across as slightly confusing but I think it's just the language barrier.

KM

No chance Danny wanted to leave IMO. Leave United to join this:

No chance.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Poor Daley. Hardly gets any coverage.

If he fills the gap in midfield and that's a big if then he will be an even more important signing.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
We should have just compared the stats of all the available strikers in the market when they were 23, with Welbeck and then made the decision. Whatever they did after 23 doesn't count, mind you.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
Hopefully Falcao absolutely shows Welbeck up this season, just to shut some of you up. In fact Welbeck probably won't even start when Giroud is back.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
In a beige suit with a raccoon on his head Louie still manages to outsexy Daley Blind and Radamel flippin' Falcao. Alpha, baby!