Louis Van Gaal - Conference - Falcao and Blind unveiled - 11.09.14

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Excerpt from the club's blog :

Just after the press conference finished, van Gaal confirmed there are no work permit or visa issues for Falcao and he is available to make his debut against QPR.

James Tuck, 12:35 BST

Van Gaal ended by discussing the departures of Danny Welbeck andJavier Hernandez, saying: "We spoke with them before there was a chance of geting Falcao. We had to be fair because in that area we had a lot of youth that could fit in. Welbeck was here since he was nine but he doesn't have the record of Rooney and van Persie and that's the standard. That's why we let him go, because of Falcao and the youngsters."

James Tuck, 12:14 BST

Van Gaal on his evolving squad: "We let go 14 players and brought in six. There is a new hierarchy in the dressing room. We are all in the process. It's not easy - that's why I have asked for time."

James Tuck, 12:13 BST

Van Gaal on Falcao: "When you can hire or buy a player like Falcao then I don't have doubts because he is one of the best strikers in the world. His record is unbelievable. Today in training he had one ball and it was in the goal. But I don't want to put too much pressure on him. I know it's difficult to come from another club to United in another process."

James Tuck, 12:12 BST

Van Gaal on van Persie: "I think he is fitter than he was for the World Cup. He was injured before it and fought to be there. Maybe you remember I let him train the first three weeks before he played a game. I think he is fitter than ever."

James Tuck, 12:06 BST

Falcao's long-term ambitions at United: "I hope to stay here many years and make history at this club. When I was at Porto and Madrid, I always wanted to improve and I dreamed about playing for a team like this. Now I want to stay here for many years."

James Tuck, 12:05 BST

Van Gaal reiterated his faith in youth: "I've just said that we let 14 players go and only bought six. More than eight positions are vacant. They are vacant for the youth players and I have already used a lot of youngsters in pre-season and the season. I am always willing to give young players chances but they have to take the chances. I can't do that for them. I believe United has come to me because of that."

James Tuck, 12:04 BST

Falcao gave his impressions so far of United: "I see the club in a period of getting to know each other. A lot of new faces. You're talking about lots of top-quality players who are intelligent, so they are bright enough to take on any tactics or what the manager wants us to. In terms of where I play, the manager will decide that for me."

James Tuck, 12:03 BST
Falcao on pressure: "I've been fortunate to play for some big clubs all over the world in some important games, and win trophies and play in big finals. I'd rather focus on enjoying my football and making the most of this opportunity. Footballers handle pressure in different ways; I set myself my own targets and put my own pressure on myself."

James Tuck, 12:01 BST

Blind on van Gaal: "He is very strict and direct in what he wants. The players have to do exactly what is best to try to win games. He reads games very well and his predictions came true for almost every game at the World Cup."

James Tuck, 11:59 BST

Van Gaal on a potential fresh start for his new-look squad: "The players have to perform our philosophy. I think the players we have selected shall do that better, otherwise we would not buy them."

James Tuck, 11:58 BST

Falcao on the lack of Champions League football this season: "It's true that every player wants to play in the Champions League. This year it is not possible but we are confident we can achieve qualification for next season."

James Tuck, 11:56 BST
Blind on his relationship with van Gaal: "The manager gave me a lot of trust during the World Cup and qualification games. I'm happy to work again with the coach. I've learned from him and I hope I learn more and get better with every game."

James Tuck, 11:56 BST
Falcao continued: "I don't think I will need too much time because United have very good players and that makes it easier to play football here. I'm used to life in cities like this and don't think I will have a problem to adapt."

James Tuck, 11:55 BST
Falcao on settling in: "I feel very good in myself. I'm very happy to be here. I've had a great welcome. When you talk about a settling-in period, being surrounded by quality players makes it very easy. I can't wait to get started."

James Tuck, 11:54 BST

Louis van Gaal was asked if he could fit all his new signings in his team and his riposte was: "We bought five players. One is on loan and maybe we can buy him next season - Falcao. We let 14 players go, so how to fit in these players is not so difficult when six replace the 14. We need also the youth system and that is the policy of Manchester United too."

James Tuck, 11:53 BST

Daley Blind on his favoured position: "It's important for me to be able to play in both defence and midfield. It's up to the coach where I play but I will always try to do my best."

James Tuck, 11:51 BST
More from Falcao: "This is a new process, a new team. Some new players have come and I think Manchester United are building a big team this season and for future seasons. I would like to be here and be part of this project."

James Tuck, 11:49 BST
The Reds' new no.9 was asked about his recent knee injury and said: "I feel well. I started to play two months ago with Monaco and I've improved in the last month a lot and scored some goals, which is important for a striker. I am confident with my physical form and I am comfortable with my knee."

James Tuck, 11:49 BST
Radamel Falcao was asked the first question at the press conference. "I am very happy to be here," he said. "It's a big challenge for me in my career. I always dreamed of being at a club like United."

Cereal Killer

Sort of glad that Blind didn't get that much attention, allows him to remain off of the radar. Let Falcao handle the spotlight.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Yeah. I think Van Gaal's turn of phrase will create a lot of confusion this season. He might have just been talking about what Rooney/RvP had already achieved when they were Danny's age.

Absolutely no idea what Falcao's record was like, aged 23, mind you.
45 goals in 105 games and about to go into a season where he scored 34 in 43.

Wayne Rooney had scored 114 in 315 and was about to go into a season where he scored 34 in 44.

Last edited:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Video :

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I do not understand the Welbeck was not at the standard of rooney, van perise, and falcao comment.

Wasn't he the manager that said that he does not pick the best players, but rather the best starting 11? Welbeck may not be at the standards of those players, but Manchester United play a more cohesive form of football when he starts. Nevertheles,, Van Gaal has three of the best striker in the world, with possible one of the best attacking midfielder in football. His own standard with those players should be winning the bpl, not trying to get a champion league spot or third place. So, lets hope he can accomplish that with the players he has.

Mockney

In what way do you mean that? His pre-23 record is almost double that of Welbeck's. As is Rooney's. I think it's fair to say both were above Danny's standard at 23. However we want to spin the "he never played in his proper position" stuff. Neither did Rooney for a long time.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
I do not understand the Welbeck was not at the standard of rooney, van perise, and falcao comment.

Wasn't he the manager that said that he does not pick the best players, but rather the best starting 11? Welbeck may not be at the standards of those players, but Manchester United play a more cohesive form of football when he starts. Nevertheles,, Van Gaal has three of the best striker in the world, with possible one of the best attacking midfielder in football. His own standard with those players should be winning the bpl, not trying to get a champion league spot or third place. So, lets hope he can accomplish that with the players he has.
Just because we have a world class attack doesn't mean we should win the Prem by default you know. Our midfield, although better is still pretty awful and our defence is just plain shocking.

In January and Summer 2015, hopefully after we've addressed these issues, I'm sure we will be more than ready to win the 2015/16 Premier League title, But right now, I think its a step too far although it is certainly possible if we click as a team straight away.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
In what way do you mean that? His pre-23 record is almost double that of Welbeck's.
But was he played on the left like Welbeck in his previous two seasons? Then, it's not a fair comparison. We should compare with a striker who wasn't played in his position and only then, we will even consider if we can accept the comparison.

Completely pointless.

Mockney

But was he played on the left like Welbeck in his previous two seasons? Then, it's not a fair comparison. We should compare with a striker who wasn't played in his position and only then, we will even consider if we can accept the comparison.

Completely pointless.
Like Rooney then. Who played on the left throughout most of Ronaldo's peak years and managed 114 goals by 23.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In what way do you mean that? His pre-23 record is almost double that of Welbeck's.
A dramatic improvement at the same age as Welbeck. I mean, it wouldn't be surprising at all if the same thing happened with Danny. Footballers often "get it" at that age but still, seeing him become massively more productive in an Arsenal shirt would suck.

Presume Falcao was racking up those numbers in a weaker league?

SonnyTheHaloPro

Completely pointless.
Yeah there is obviously a reason for that, The 3 managers in charge just didn't rate him enough to play centrally.

Ferguson bought Van Persie in.
Moyes was very likely to bring Cavani in.
Van Gaal has bought Falcao in.

hobbers

In fairness LVG said that he let Hernandez and Welbeck go because of Falcao, and because of youth, obviously referring to Wilson.

Falcao is world class and Wilson has much more potential than Welbeck. And, as useful as Welbeck is when he's played elsewhere than up front, he doesn't like playing there and wanted to leave last season because of it.

Last edited:

MDFC Manager

Completely pointless.
Indeed. Which is why I'm sure LvG made the judgement based on what he saw in training rather than comparing records like are.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Just because we have a world class attack doesn't mean we should win the Prem by default you know. Our midfield, although better is still pretty awful and our defence is just plain shocking.

In January and Summer 2015, hopefully after we've addressed these issues, I'm sure we will be more than ready to win the 2015/16 Premier League title, But right now, I think its a step too far although it is certainly possible if we click as a team straight away.
With our attack and the amount money we spend so far, our expectation should be to win or challenge for the barclay premier. It is the clubs problem if they could not invest near £200m properly.

Mockney

A dramatic improvement at the same age as Welbeck. I mean, it wouldn't be surprising at all if the same thing happened with Danny. Footballers often "get it" at that age but still, seeing him become massively more productive in an Arsenal shirt would suck.
It would surprise me, because I've never seen Danny as a 30+ goal a season striker. And if the numbers are anything to go by, his dramatic improvement still wouldn't match Rooney or Falcao, who's numbers were significantly greater at 23. Nearly double in fact, despite Rooney also playing out of position for a large amount of his career. Which was the question you asked.

I definitely think he'll do well at Arsenal, but the "he would be an absolute World Beater if he was played in his preferred position" stuff, like no other footballer has ever been played out of position before (cough* Rooney * cough) is complete doomsday paranoia stuff.

Presume Falcao was racking up those numbers in a weaker league?
You're really getting on board with this giving our new striker a chance shit aren't you? Where's your usual "everyone's being a grumpy sod and underrating our boys" schtick?

He scored his first professional goal at 14. So I'd say whatever league he was playing in, his development was pretty good.

Last edited:

SonnyTheHaloPro

With our attack and the amount money we spend so far, our expectation should be to win or challenge for the barclay premier. It is the clubs problem if they could not invest near £200m properly.
Yes I agree, we should have spent the money on higher quality players like Fabregas and Benatia instead of Herrera and Rojo, and yes with the money spent we should be winning the league.

On the other hand you can argue that Herrera and Rojo and other new signings have hardly played so judging them so early is a bit silly. They could all click and go on the win the league. But we'll see at the end of the season if our signings were money well spent or not. Even Mata and Fellaini should surely get at least this season before proving themselves.

We simply don't know if we've invested £200million properly yet or not.

fishfingers15

It's a bit funny about how most of us slated Mad Winger for finding every excuse under the sun for Kagawa and do the same for Welbeck. I'm happy for the guy, I'm sure he'll make Arsenal more competitive, I just don't see him as the player who'll be their Cantona. We can only find out at the end of the season, but for all the preaching of patience with Moyes, we should do the same with LvG and come back to this at the end of the season.

Welbeck doing well and Manchester United doing well can be two separate mutually exclusive events.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
We have a presser where we unveil one of the best strikers in the world - Radamel Falcao, and a young promising Daley Blind. And on the Redcafé they are discussing Danny Welbeck, an Arsenal player.

Imagine this happened at Bernabeu or Nou Camp. Insane!!!

Conrad

Like Rooney then. Who played on the left throughout most of Ronaldo's peak years and managed 114 goals by 23.
I think this is a massive exaggeration. Hard to get stats for positions played from earlier seasons but from what I remember Rooney was only really shifted left in the occasional big game.

Trizy

I think people are getting too caught up in the Welbeck thing. When players like Falcao become available you have to go for them and he won't be replacing them any time soon, ya he's a good footballer and handy to have in a squad but he doesn't want to be a squad player and rightly so, no player should settle for that if they're any bit serious about their career. We got good money for him, he got a top 4-5 club and he'll get a chance to become a proper striker there, everyone wins!

Finally if there is any ifs or buts left, go back 3 months ago and if someone asked who would you rather; Welbeck or Falcao? we all know who 99% of people would have voted for.

Mockney

I think this is a massive exaggeration. Hard to get stats for positions played from earlier seasons but from what I remember Rooney was only really shifted left in the occasional big game.
Whereas Welbeck's stats are not being exaggerated at all? By either side. He's either a shithouse squad player with a terrible return, or a world beating superman cruelly deprived of truthful stats by being the only player ever to be played slightly out of position.

Rooney's favored position is a number 10. And considering we rarely played with one post 2008, I don't think it's too unfair to say he's spent a lot of time out of position.

It's a bit funny about how most of us slated Mad Winger for finding every excuse under the sun for Kagawa and do the same for Welbeck. I'm happy for the guy, I'm sure he'll make Arsenal more competitive, I just don't see him as the player who'll be their Cantona. We can only find out at the end of the season, but for all the preaching of patience with Moyes, we should do the same with LvG and come back to this at the end of the season.

Welbeck doing well and Manchester United doing well can be two separate mutually exclusive events.
With Danny, everything is polemic. He's either massively overrated or massively underrated.

Last edited:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Falcao is saying all the right words, but every picture I see of him, he looks completely not bothered, about anything.

A strong contender for "least bothered about signing for United", a title held by Nick Powell, indisputable champion of not being bothered.

fishfingers15

Whereas Welbeck's stats are not being exaggerated at all? By either side. He's either a shithouse squad player with a terrible return, or a world bearing superman cruelly deprived of truthful stats by being the only player ever to be played slightly out of position.

Rooney's favored position is a number 10. And considering we rarely played one post 2008, I don't think it's too unfair to say he's spent a lot of time out of position.

With Danny, everything is polemic. He's either massively overrated or massively underrated.
There's a chance that it may come back to bite us in the arse, but as of now, we've massively upgraded on the striking options, strengthened our midfield with Blind and Herrera and let go of 14 players. Somehow, this entire transfer window is now dubious, because we let go Welbeck and signed a massive upgrade on him as a replacement. Can't understand the complaints here.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I'd hate to see how some of you cope with break ups.

Let it go lads, he's gone - yes he's going to score some goals, and you'll be reminded of his time with us.
I bet we'll score more though.

itso 7

Completely pointless.
But why did Welbeck play on the left so frequently ? He hasn't always faced the calibre of Van Persie throughout his career here and it's not like when he was on the left he wasn't getting good chances on goal. Let's face it Van Gaal has done what pretty much every successful manager would have done in this particular situation, I will assume that the decision to acquire Falcao wasn't his initiative but a reaction to chance that opened up when we were dealing with Mendes on the Di Maria signing and Woodward pushed for the signing, for commercial reasons. With Falcao happening, he simply told Welbeck where he'd stand in the scheme of things and, like what happened with Kagawa and others, left it to the player to decide. He wasn't going to freeze out proven strikers for Welbeck's benefit and these aren't just proven strikers they are monster names. Imo Welbeck hadn't done enough to justify such a huge decision from a new manager.
People say he didn't get enough chances as striker but that's the reality of any player trying to displace a superstar-you don't too many shots so you have to utilize the few that come your way. If he had done the business in 11/12 then Fergie would never have signed Van Persie or looked at signing Lewandowski in that summer. The Van Persie signing is what stalled his development and now Van Gaal doesn't have the luxury of waiting for him to fulfill his massive potential.

fishfingers15

But why did Welbeck play on the left so frequently ? He hasn't always faced the calibre of Van Persie throughout his career here and it's not like when he was on the left he wasn't getting good chances on goal. Let's face it Van Gaal has done what pretty much every successful manager would have done in this particular situation, I will assume that the decision to acquire Falcao wasn't his initiative but a reaction to chance that opened up when we were dealing with Mendes on the Di Maria signing and Woodward pushed for the signing, for commercial reasons. With Falcao happening, he simply told Welbeck where he'd stand in the scheme of things and, like what happened with Kagawa and others, left it to the player to decide. He wasn't going to freeze out proven strikers for Welbeck's benefit and these aren't just proven strikers they are monster names. Imo Welbeck hadn't done enough to justify such a huge decision from a new manager.
People say he didn't get enough chances as striker but that's the reality of any player trying to displace a superstar-you don't too many shots so you have to utilize the few that come your way. If he had done the business in 11/12 then Fergie would never have signed Van Persie or looked at signing Lewandowski in that summer. The Van Persie signing is what stalled his development and now Van Gaal doesn't have the luxury of waiting for him to fulfill his massive potential.
Listen, I was trying to be sarcastic :(

Conrad

Whereas Welbeck's stats are not being exaggerated at all? By either side. He's either a shithouse squad player with a terrible return, or a world bearing superman cruelly deprived of truthful stats by being the only player ever to be played slightly out of position.

Rooney's favored position is a number 10. And considering we rarely played with one post 2008, I don't think it's too unfair to say he's spent a lot of time out of position.
Okay, I agree with what your saying in that first part but it doesn't really change that Rooney didn't play on the left most of the time when Ronaldo was here, as your post implied. I guess you could argue that he was played out of his favoured position, 10, but not sure its the same as Welbeck's situation. You'd have a hard time convincing anyone that Rooney's goalscoring record was especially good pre 23 because we forced him to play as a striker which somehow limited his goalscoring.

It's not really relevant anyway. It's pretty clear that even if Welbeck had played striker he would have got nowhere near Rooney's record which is no real criticism considering Rooney was pretty much the archetypal wonderkid. I guess I just wanted to point out Rooney didn't play left that much.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
This Welbeck debate is pointless. I was gutted to see him go and I genuinely believe he'll thrive at Arsenal but he has so we should really move on.

Also, Welbeck debates are always pointless as there's an excuse for everything.