Love/Hate

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Having been in the UK for three years now, I missed Love/Hate when it first aired on RTÉ back in 2010. However, the father watched it back home and told me it was good and my Faceache newsfeed was full of lads raving about how good it was too so I was intrigued to see what all the hype was about. I finally got the box-set last week, and I have to say, it is really good. Series 1 was okay and watchable but it really took off in Series 2 I felt. I am after watching one episode of Series 3 so far, and although not quite at the drama and tension as the previous series, it is good. I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going to go in the next five episodes.

Oh, and that character 'Debbie', John Boy's ex-missus, is the biggest pain in the hole I've ever encountered in a television series. She's even more annoying than Skylar is Breaking Bad, and that's saying something.

Buchan

It's a brilliant show

Happy now
No, man. I'm still fuming. I thought it was an absolutely ridiculous ending to Series 3. I think the writers made a huge boo-boo there when they
killed off Darren. It would have been brilliant to see himself and Tommy - should he have awoken from the coma - go after Nidge and his crew.

I don't know where they're going with this next, but they've been spot on so far so I suppose we have to trust them on it. Great television.

Buchan

Have any of you Dublin scobies heard anything about the fourth series yet? I've heard it's going to air around October/November time, would this be correct?

Also, how do ye think it's going to be played out? They'll surely write it in such a way that Fran finds out about Nidge's affair with his ex-wife, as I don't see the IRA feud rearing its head again for a while. Your man that plays the journalist in The Fall is going joining the show so we may see a new gang emerging if they're going to be introducing new characters.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I watched the first couple of episodes when it originally aired and thought it was really good but for whatever reason I missed the next few and then once series 2 started I didn't want to watch it until I had finished series 1 so I really just never got around to it. Well over the past month I went back to episode one and watched it from start to finish. Finished the final episode last night. It's really brilliant television and it's a credit to RTE. I mean less than 20 years ago RTE turned down Fr Ted for fear of angering the religious masses and had to deal with complaints aplenty when Miley committed adultery with Fidelma in the hay shed, so it's good that RTE have finally got with the times. People like gritty crime shows. We read the papers every day and read stories about gangland fueds in Dublin or Limerick and hate that it goes on but when it's fiction it makes for great TV. The Sopranos is evidence of the same.

Not only is it good to see RTE go for a show like this, it's great to see good production and really great acting go into an Irish show. We've consistently produced good actors in this country, but in homegrown shows they've so often been surrounded by mediocre actors. In this they've got it right. There are very few weak actors.

One thing which gets me a little bit is I hear there is talk of an American remake. My problem with that is, as a story it's not all that original. What makes this so good is that it's set and made in Ireland using some of the best talent we have. An American version of this would just be another generic crime/gang type show and unless it was brilliantly done would get lost among most of the mediocre television that comes out of the States. I know alot of Americans couldn't fathom watching anything that wasn't made in the States, but I still wish they'd just give it a go and air the Irish version over there.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Don't think RTE did reject Father Ted, the writers chose to submit it to Channel 4.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Don't think RTE did reject Father Ted, the writers chose to submit it to Channel 4.
You could be right actually, now that I think about it, I think I remember Graham Linehan rejecting those rumours. The point still stands about RTE though. The affair in Glenroe, the gay kiss in Fair City, The actress in the Riordans who was pregnant in real life but unmarried in the show and I'm sure many other cases all recieved huge amounts of complaints and RTE and as a result controversial issues were rarely addressed in shows.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
No, man. I'm still fuming. I thought it was an absolutely ridiculous ending to Series 3. I think the writers made a huge boo-boo there when they
killed off Darren. It would have been brilliant to see himself and Tommy - should he have awoken from the coma - go after Nidge and his crew.

I don't know where they're going with this next, but they've been spot on so far so I suppose we have to trust them on it. Great television.
I don't know if they had a choice...Hollywood beckoned.

Name Changed

weso26
I love this show and I can't wait for season 4. The end of season 3 annoyed me though, they missed a trick there.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
A quick snippet just been posted by RTE

Cant fecking wait for the next season :D

iSparky

Fran is easily my favourite character, tommy is back too so it will be interesting to see how that all plays out after Nidge kicked the feck out of him.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
You can buy it on Amazon.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Poor cat did nothing.

iSparky

Loving it so far. Great start to the series.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Poor Tommy is with the birds

Viper KGB

If you hit me.......... I'll hit you back

Don't know why but that cracked me up, the poor fella

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I don't know about this. They've made Tommy brain damaged, maybe temporarily but, to the point where's he's reverted to a pretty child like state and no one spots this before they bring him on a major job? I mean he's like a 5 year old in the last 10 minutes of the episode.

iSparky

I wonder if Siobhan is going to help the pigs out now. Tommy is my favourite in the series but I'm slightly unsure if I like where his character is going now. Surely he will either discover or remember what happened and he will go after Nidge. And Nidge visiting Darren's grave at the start and end of the episode, haunted by it apparently, surely they will hunt down the thunder cnut that shot Darren.

Keenst

I don't know about this. They've made Tommy brain damaged, maybe temporarily but, to the point where's he's reverted to a pretty child like state and no one spots this before they bring him on a major job? I mean he's like a 5 year old in the last 10 minutes of the episode.

Seems a bit incredulous all right. How could they not have noticed he's practically brain dead?

Other than that I thought it was very good.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Fran's mask scared the bejesus out of me.

Cina

Siobhain :drool:

Good opening episode, needs more Fran.