Lucas Moura - (Caf decides he’s naff again) Spurs bound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemanja15

I'm surprised there's so much negativity about his potential arrival on here. He offers genuine width, hot pace and can beat men easily. No-one in our squad at the moment has all those things in their locker.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Jesus Christ, based on the reactions on here someone might think we have prime David Beckham occupying our right side. Instead we have Juan Mata playing there and there is not a single RM at the club.
Exactly.

Mailo

What is the difference between this guy and the likes of Adama Traoré or a speed merchant as Aaron Lennon? I don't rate a player as Gerard Deulofeu, but even he has more to bring to the table than this guy.

I hope these rumours stays as rumours or disappear completely.

PS: I don't understand people claiming it's a low risk with the money being mentioned - it's still a lot of money for a nobody with speed and no footballing intelligence, even under different managers he hasn't blossomed. This is absolutely a no-go.

AR87

What is the difference between this guy and the likes of Adama Traoré or a speed merchant as Aaron Lennon? I don't rate a player as Gerard Deulofeu, but even he has more to bring to the table than this guy.

Well Lucas actually has proven himself to have end product which neither Traore or Deulofeu could ever claim.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
There is only two ways to achieve that

a- we spend ridiculous amount of money on fees and salary. Which we tend to do but we'll never be able to go toe to toe against Shitty and PSG
b- we start winning serious trophies and that means CLs and EPLs not the mickey mouse cups like UEFA cup, FA cup etc

Apart from that, we're stuck back to the buying bargains/players who are off the radar in the hope we can sort them up. SAF did that magnificently up until he allowed sentimentality and outdated valors clouding what is important ie build a great side which will dominate the EPL for years to come

In my opinion, United's biggest problem is that we try to reinvent the wheel. Instead of opting for wingers who are filled with trickery and pace we opted for either slow pokes (Mata, Mkhitaryan) or talentless players (Lingard, Young etc). Since these sort of players will never do well with United in that position we're resorting to playing strikers with pace on the flanks instead (Rashford and Martial). That's silly. If we had Salah and Mane on the flanks (who are neither Messi nor Ronaldo) we would be seriously competing for the title.

That's flawed attitude is not reserved only for the flanks. I've yet to understand why

a- we bought the likes of Darmian (he's useless), Blind (too frail in CM, too slow as full back, too short as CB) and Rojo (where should I start on that one?)

b- our only cover for Matic is a former player in all but name (we might as well brought Robson out of retirement)?

c- we kept Ibra for another year after the terrible injury he suffered?

Our team is beyond the hilarious with our best full backs being wingers, our best wingers being strikers and our second best DM being a box to box midfielder. God what I would give for a young heartless SAF who would shake the team around, remove any scrap of sentimentality from OT, bring us back to our basics and kick those who aren't good enough out of OT.
Excellent post. Agree with all of it. Thing is one would have to argue the manager has had more than enough time to rectify most of those issues and in some cases has created problems too.

Jaybomb

Lucas is much better and trickier than those guys.

Have to admit I’m not keen on this signing. Would have rathered Perisic or even Zaha back.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
What is the difference between this guy and the likes of Adama Traoré or a speed merchant as Aaron Lennon? I don't rate a player as Gerard Deulofeu, but even he has more to bring to the table than this guy. I hope these rumours stays as rumours or disappear completely.
The difference is Traoré/Deulofeu/Lennon haven't the required level to get 34 caps with Brazil...

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Even the Brazillians are saying he ain't all that...
He isnt costing us 50m. He is costing us 20m. He is different to what we have. We are in desperate need of options and worst case scenario he becomes a squad player for us. He is still young. I am not saying he is going to have the Salah effect on us but we aint losing anything signing him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Excellent post. Agree with all of it. Thing is one would have to argue the manager has had more than enough time to rectify most of those issues and in some cases has created problems too.
I am not sure about that. He did inherit alot of dross tbh. At the time our only WC players was DDG.

So lets disect his performance

+ In terms of new players the only one who failed spectacularly was Mkhitaryan. Ibra - 1st stint, Bailly, Matic, Lukaku and Pogba are doing well. Jury is still out for Lindelof.

+ He kicked out of OT plenty of dead wood. I geniunely didn't thought he would be able to shift Rooney's and Bastian's fat arses from OT

+ our performance had improved since the dire Moyes/LVG times

- he's not using Pogba correctly. Pogba shines in a 3 men CM. He struggles in a 2 men CM.

- His arguments with anything that moves/breathes is getting tedious. We're Manchester United not the plastic clubs Mou love to manage

If you ask me I'd give him a B+

MassiveMorgan

Why would we not want an upgrade and a player who still can improve? He’s quick, young, skilful and can actually go past people. We have a tiny squad compared to City for example. They have so many wide options and turning down the chance to sign this guy (not that I believe we are in for him) is just snobbery. Why not improve our squad? Reading all the posts regarding AG and Dybala etc and I’m amazed how many people would rather we crawled through the season with no reinforcements than build a squad to compete. If the rumours are true than we’d be signing a player that SAF rated highly and that played well last season AND is currently kept out the team by players worth more than our entire transfer budget. He’s currently lost his place to Mbappe who’s ‘the next big thing’ and valued at 160m.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
It's a low risk gamble, on a player who has pace to burn and has end product, as well he hasn't played a champions league game this season. He also happens to play in a position that we need to fill

Mailo

The difference is Traoré/Deulofeu/Lennon haven't the required level to get 34 caps with Brazil...
If the three names mentioned were brazilian, I'm sure they would've at least the same number of caps. And Brazil isn't what it once was. They haven't got those former glorious players and world-beaters anymore. So it isn't a good measuring stick.

Peanut Butter

I remember everyone on here telling me that Matic would be a terrible signing in the summer.

Just saying.

jdotman

He had a good season last year, but hasn’t he generally had an underwhelming career since opting for PSG?
Underwhelming because of the expectations everyone had of him when he joined. People would not give him any credit unless he is doing what Neymar is doing right now, because it is Ligue 1. But he hasn't had a bad season yet, hes been an integral part of the squad every year since joining PSG apart from this one. What I like about him most is that he always thrived in the big matches (whether against Marseille in the league, or Barcelona or Chelsea in CL). Most people on here are giving harsh criticism but lets be honest, how much of you have actually been watching Ligue 1?

lysglimt

Scout
Don't believe we are in for him, but it puzzles me that people are opposed to us signing him if the prices mentioned are to be believed.

Is he my dream-signing ? No. Is he better than what we have - if he finds the form he had last season, absolutely. And if it doesn't work out - we can probably get our money back. It's a gamble worth taking.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In terms of French league there's only one person I trust

What do you think about him @JPRouve ?
Thanks.

To be completely honest, you have to take @kouroux and @Ecstatic opinions into account, they are both right and wrong. Lucas has a good potential that he often demonstrates, he has a very good attitude on the field like Cavani and he has good technical abilities but his decision making will let himself down way too often to consider Lucas like a very good player. If he is cheap than he is a pretty good option to explore but he shouldn't be considered like the missing piece in our starting eleven, he could be what some expected from Mkhitaryan, a solid member of a first XIII.

Last edited:

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
If the three names mentioned were brazilian, I'm sure they would've at least the same number of caps. And Brazil isn't what it once was. They haven't got those former glorious players and world-beaters anymore. So it isn't a good measuring stick.
Adama Traoré cannot kick a football ffs.

Jacko21

I remember everyone on here telling me that Matic would be a terrible signing in the summer.

Just saying.
And why Mourinho wanted Perisic. Only for it to become painfully obvious why he wanted Perisic.

Moral of the story - trust Mourinho re transfers. He's got one of the better records in the market.

Wayne's World

I'd sign him because he's an actual winger. Not an inside forward or playmaker from wide, he's actually capable of causing teams so much damage with his pace in this league

For 20 million, he's worth a risk and his directness will cause any team trouble and is a different angle for us to attack from

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Im also finding the 'Brazilian Walcott" comments to demean him as hilarious. Our right flank is so bad, Id take an on form Walcott on it like yesterday. For all the stick he gets Walcott has always been a constant goal threat with a decent cross. And if I could land on a player like that with the dribbling wizardy to plant on our right flank id take it. I mean he'd always leave his man for dead and all you'd have to do is instruct him to make simply cut back basses into a danger area rather than to a man. You'd be shocked how devastating a supposedly simply minded player can be when used the right way.

buckooo1978

there seems to be a lack of quality wingers at the minute - Arjen Robben for a year?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Would you be happy to see him leave your club or would you rather he stay?
I just think it's sad for football to see very good players on the bench while they would be stars elsewhere.

I like the player but he can't compete with M'bappé. Di Maria and Lucas are 2 different players with pros and cons.

I think the latter needs to enjoy the full confidence of a coach and always play to reach the next level.

If the price is fair, I think it's an interesting gamble.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
His cooperation with Zlatan during their PSG days was fairly productive. He's not that selfish as people say but he got his Nani moments from time to time.

You could be worried if Louie was still in charge but Jose would most likely calibrate him to Premier League just like he did with countless Chelsea and United players.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Thanks.

To be completely honest, you have to take @kouroux and @Ecstatic opinions into account, they are both right and wrong. Lucas has a good potential that he often demonstrates, he has a very good attitude on the field like Cavani and he has good technical abilities but his decision making will let himself down way to often to consider Lucas like a very good player. If he is cheap than he is a pretty good option to explore but he shouldn't be considered like the missing piece in our starting eleven, he could be what some expected from Mkhitaryan, a solid member of a first XIII.
I was never a big fan of missing pieces tbh. Many keep mentioning Cantona but while he was undoubtable a great player, we over-relied on him which in turn made us predictable.

What we need at this point is a solid team filled with decent players whose style suits us greatly and who would do well with us. Our flanks are screaming for pace and trickery. If Moura can provide that then I'm a happy bunny.

thanks for your assessment btw

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
Lucas Moura is twice the player Zaha is, and possibly ever will be. That's not saying much though, seeing as Zaha seems to be getting very randomly hyped up well beyond his worth on here lately.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
there seems to be a lack of quality wingers at the minute - Arjen Robben for a year?
Footballs moving away from wingers, in favour of wingbacks for width and wide forwards who chip in more goals, so are in the box more. It's why wingers like Valencia and Moses have been converted to wingbacks successfully, as they have the attributes.

Penny hasn't dropped for a few people about this, it's why I genuinely think we'll switch to a back three soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.