Lucas Moura - (Caf decides he’s naff again) Spurs bound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prateik

Good for 25m is hardly praise. Oxlade cost 40m. You wont get Zaha back for 25m. So saying he is a good option at 25m is like saying he is shit but he wont cost too much.

I'd rather play Young on the right wing than get a budget signing. Either get someone who has a lot of potential, or someone who is a steal at 25m or pay the fecking price for a top player..

United Pro

French sources saying that PSG want £36-40m for Lucas (Le Parisien), but he's not worth that imo. For £20-25m he'd be a decent purchase, but I definitely don't want us to fund PSG's moves for Neymar and Mbappe by overpaying for Lucas (in terms of FFP).

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Seems to be a lot more activity around this rumor today on social media. I wouldn't mind a punt on him for a loan option but as a purchase, I think it would be poor value to pay anything more than 25 million for him.

Champagne Football

There would have been utter disgust on here at the prospect of Utd signing Paulinho or Salah a year ago. They turned out to be the signings of 2017.

Sometimes these signings surprise every one. Lucas is at that age where he might be ready to move up a gear. Might be worth a punt. At worst a Brazilian Walcot for 25 million can be no worse than the Armenian Ben Arfa or the Spanish Johan Cabaye that we currently have playing on the right.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
I will say this about him - He works like a demon defensively. Mourinho would love that about him.

Raw

It's a good price, I'm okay with the signing. My main issue I'd have is if he was the only attacker we plan to get.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He would be a decent January buy but we’d still need to go Big in summer.

stygg

Meh.

Our squad is filled with these types of players he’s not going to take us to the next level, it’s buying for the sake of buying and wasting even more money.
Our squad are not filled with pace. He'll bring pace. Yes, please.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
£25m is still too much for him IMO. Good squad option but sort of guy you want to nab on a free transfer or for peanuts, why do we splash a lot of money on squad level players.

stygg

£25m is still too much for him IMO. Good squad option but sort of guy you want to nab on a free transfer or for peanuts, why do we splash a lot of money on squad level players.
That's what squad players cost these days.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I reckon he'll tear it up in the Prem. A lot of you are underestimating him.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's maybe a fair assessment that most would be happy with him for a low fee if he's considered a squad player. But not as some missing piece in our puzzle.

G27

£20 million for Lucas would be a good deal. Then we can spend big money on a star CM who can play with Pogba and Matic.

However I'm now convinced that these rumors are true.

Reynoldo

It's maybe a fair assessment that most would be happy with him for a low fee if he's considered a squad player. But not as some missing piece in our puzzle.
Exactly, thats it. I'd happily take him as an option on the right (seeing as we don't really have any) for that price. If he turns out to be more than that then great, we will still need a top tier quality player in that position I think.

Judas

Open to offers
25 is nothing for him, I'd happily take him at that price, and if it doesn't work out, we've only spunked 25 million on him, we've wasted a lot bigger sums.

Hanky panky

For a that price worth of risk. He would be a risky signing but he's talented actually. Could become good starter for United too if everthing goes well. 25 million is nothing in 2018. 30 years old Fellaini costs almost that.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
£25 million is decent for Lucas Moura.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
That's what squad players cost these days.
I disagree. I think it is lazy on the part of the management and the club. We all know it is an inflated market, but to circumvent the effects of the market.. you need to make sure any big spending is only for those marquee signings.. any other supplementary signings, we should be looking at loans or free transfers. Each time we sign a squaddie for £20-40m.. and on big wages, we struggle to then offload them and it means less money for the essential first team purchases, and means we are only signing 4 players a window instead of the overhaul we drastically need.

Guys like Demarai Gray etc.. could have easily be signed from lower divisions for peanuts and enhance the squad depth. Getting a squad level RW for a substantial amount of money is lazy scouting IMO. Alexis Sanchez is going to City for £35m and we are getting Lucas at 25m.. that is insane, once again City sign a world class talent for peanuts and we're left whining that we are such a poor club and have no money to spend - utter bullshit.

We need to be way smarter in the transfer market.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Pretty much that.

A loan where he gets a good run in the PL would also be fine - I'd just be wary of committing to him long term.

A lot of people clearly haven't watched much of him. He's a strange player - A throwback direct winger who beats a man as well as anyone in our team - It's not impossible that at 25 he can get to a new level, especially as he is on an upward trajectory. He's just not currently at the level we should be aspiring to - That City are aspiring to with Sanchez - but on a short term, low risk deal there's not a lot to lose in taking a look at him. I doubt he'll be making the difference for us in the CL but he could chip in with a few useful moments through the course of the season and would be a good option in an injury crisis.

I've gone from criticizing him to defending him. Funny what these transfer links do.:lol:

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
I disagree. I think it is lazy on the part of the management and the club. We all know it is an inflated market, but to circumvent the effects of the market.. you need to make sure any big spending is only for those marquee signings.. any other supplementary signings, we should be looking at loans or free transfers. Each time we sign a squaddie for £20-40m.. and on big wages, we struggle to then offload them and it means less money for the essential first team purchases, and means we are only signing 4 players a window instead of the overhaul we drastically need.

Guys like Demarai Gray etc.. could have easily be signed from lower divisions for peanuts and enhance the squad depth. Getting a squad level RW for a substantial amount of money is lazy scouting IMO. Alexis Sanchez is going to City for £35m and we are getting Lucas at 25m.. that is insane, once again City sign a world class talent for peanuts and we're left whining that we are such a poor club and have no money to spend - utter bullshit.

The Sanchez deal is an aberration due to contract issues and the fact that he's already made his mind up. You could spin that to say City are paying £35m to loan him for the next 6 months.

If you're looking for a team who are smart in the transfer market. City are not the example to go with.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He had a good season last year, but hasn’t he generally had an underwhelming career since opting for PSG?

Utdstar01

I think he'd be an astute signing tbh and at that price he's worth the risk. Still young and can still develop. We need some sort of threat coming from the right.

r0663664

Worships Man City
After reading some post, he seems like Nani no.2. Lucas was a very exciting player when he was young. I think he was probably second to Neymar a few years ago. Maybe he is a late bloomer. I reckon a loan deal would be good to see if he have what it takes.

AR87

The Walcott comps are very lazy. Moura's dribbling ability, passing and defensive work rate are far superior.

Moura per 90 career: 6 dribbles (3.7 successful), 2.2 key passes, 2.5 shots, 1.1 interceptions, 2.4 attempted tackles (1.7 successful)

Walcott per 90 career: 3.8 dribbles (1.6 successful), 1.3 key passes, 3.1 shots, 0.7 interceptions, 1.3 attempted tackles (0.8 successful)

He's a fast right winger, but that is where the comparisons end.

I'm not pining for him, but I do think there's a chance he takes his game to the next level at United. Mourinho has had success with late blooming attacker previously like at Inter with guys like Milito and Pandev. While in a vaccuum he may not be better than the likes of Mkhi or Mata he adds a dimension on the right wing we are lacking and that does have value IMO.

One thing I like about this link is it seems he's adjusting his demands to the performance of the squad this season. So instead of looking to add a left winger who would inevitably compete for minutes with Martial and Rashford, he's looking to get that width from the right which where we truly lack dynamism and width.

Last edited:

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout

I agree, it's just lazy scouting and management to sign squad players for big money but the bold part lacks any context. Sanchez overall cost will be much higher than Lucas' without any doubt,m with rumoured 15 Million signing on fee and massive wages.

AdNani

He scored 17 goals and got 11 assists last year, has blistering pace and is a natural wide player, huge potential and would be instantly the best winger at the club, what’s not to want? Especially for that price?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The Sanchez deal is an aberration due to contract issues and the fact that he's already made his mind up. You could spin that to say City are paying £35m to loan him for the next 6 months.

If you're looking for a team who are smart in the transfer market. City are not the example to go with.
Yes they are guilty of spending loads, but regarding Sanchez it is them capitalising on the situation and ensuring he doesn't have his head turned in the mean time, in addition to securing a guy who will be vital in the chase for the CL. This is probably City's best chance of securing the european cup as most of the big european sides aren't at their best and will rebuild post world cup. Grabbing Sane and Jesus for under £60m was really good investing and most of their big transfers have been pretty spot on and not too overpriced - KDB looks like a snip in hindsight and only Sterling was a player you could say the fee seemed extortionate.

Remember when Fergie signed Tevez, got Owen on a free.. We need more signings like that in addition to big spending. We rarely sell our players for much as well.. if we had a Lucas, we'd sell him for under £10m. Look at Mkhi, no chance we will sell him for much. We've killed his value.

Someone like Lucas, should be £10-20m max. Yes it sounds silly moaning if its gone to 25m, but I would like us to take the approach every penny counts and just be more cost-efficient in the way we go about doing things. Otherwise teams know they can take us for a ride.

Get in guys like Lucas at £15m, Perisic for £30m and suddenly we've got two solid wingers at european level for £45m and even if they do end up being squaddies, the perception and pressure on the signings is less and we have more money in the bank to go in hard for the top signings. Instead if we go £25/30m on a Lucas and £50m on a Perisic.. £80m of your budget is blown on sub-standard players who are not really going to be your long term answer on the flanks.

If we can't get them in through the door at these prices, then walk away from the deal and have other targets in place. No offence but guys like Lucas, Perisic.. we can and should have alternative targets by the dozen for such players within that price range. Its the Mbappe's and Dembele's of this world which are rare and we should ensure we're right in there with the big bucks and making sure we turn their heads and bring them here at all costs.

Last edited:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Cafe is against this signing - should be good .

I very well remember the comments about Perisic and Matic :D

Status
Not open for further replies.