Luckhurst: United prepared to move for a holding midfielder in January

mu4c_20le

Why are people so disapointed with Trippier?

Ole had made some good signings, but AWB just isnt good enugh for a team thats supose to go forward.
Because he isn't prime Cafu and immediately displacing 50m AWB.

Crustanoid

If this 3rd one is Camavinga, then we have had a good summer for the first time since those halcyon days of 2007

CM

Trippier would be good. A midfielder would be more important for the starting XI but I don't think the 'perfect' one has presented itself to us. If Camavinga was open to the move I'm sure we would've been in for him.

When we sold Lukaku we waited to get the right striker in and the same happened when we didn't get Sancho in last year. It looks like that will be the case again.

arthurka

Please be a CM... The thought of the McT and Fred sauce is just not getting my taste buds watering really. Plus that Serbian Stew will make my blood boil.

Devil may care

The way people have turned on AWB on here is so weird when he's clearly improved going forwards. I remember when we were first linked to him I said he wasn't much cop going forward but constantly got swamped with "He used to a winger so he's obviously good at attacking" and "It's only because he's at Palace that you don't see his attacking side"......now when he actually has improved loads of fans want to bin him, and not for a player like Hakimi, but for a solid but average 31 year old.

At any rate I'm hoping it's a midfielder, at this point I don't care if it's Saul, Camavinga or Neves, I'll take any of them as I'm fecking sick of the sight of McFred running around like headless chickens in our midfield.

RedCurry

I was so confused, for some reason I thought we signed Samuel Luckhurst.

Jacob

Why is everyone acting so confident this is true. Ole himself said further business will be a bonus.

Jev

Ole had made some good signings, but AWB just isnt good enugh for a team thats supose to go forward.
Yeah, I think many people will be surprised to see how much it will improve our play to get a right-back who can attack. I'd argue it will improve us even more than an equally good midfielder would.

The attacking full-back has become an absolute key position in the modern game (just look at Shaw/Spinazolla/Mæhle being arguably the biggest creators for three out of four Euro semi-finalists), and our right-back is way too limited with the ball. People talk of Trippier as a squad signing. He's significantly better than AWB and will be a starter if he comes.

Iron Tulip

Any DM we've been linked with and I'll be confident of atleast a trophy and top 2 finish this season.

Ekeke

Trippier is 30 and if he performed like he did at the euros he wouldnt be starting over AWB and Shaw.

He had a successful season at Atletico, but remember that he played as a midfielder/wingback in half his matches and had 0 goals 6 assists overall.

Shaw had 1 goal and 5 assists from fullback and AWB had 2 goals and 4 assists from fullback, both doing a much better and more extensive job defending than Trippier had to in his system half the time. And one we dont play at United.

Dante

Average bang
We won't have the money to buy Camaving/Saul/Neves unless Pogba leaves. And we won't have room in the squad for a new midfielder unless Pogba leaves.

The Messi move to PSG means Pogba is going to stay at United for another season. Which in turn means that our final signing will be for less money and in a position other than CM.

All signs point to Trippier.

atkar83

How is Luckhurst not considered a solid source? He litterally travels with the team as a media member. I'm sure he has some direct relationships and sources as opposed to random twitter accounts that don't even reside in Manchester. I've been listening to his podcast since last year and he hasn't really been wrong on anything. He's pessimistic by nature but when we're close to signing someone he confirm things

Strelok

Why is everyone acting so confident this is true. Ole himself said further business will be a bonus.
You shouldn't really buy into too much everything he said mate. He's a true politician.

Imo it's a midfielder. Probably Camavinga I think.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Reckon we’ll save the money and go big on Haaland next year.

Pogba leaves on a free and is replaced by Hannibal with Scotty Mac playing the Declan rice role bossing the DM role, midfield sorted for the long term :drool:

Von Mistelroum

because he might improve us a little, whereas a good DM would complete the first team and shore up a weak midfield that could seriously cost us (and probably will as I don’t think we’re buying one).

M Bison

Supports
York City
Yeah, I think many people will be surprised to see how much it will improve our play to get a right-back who can attack. I'd argue it will improve us even more than an equally good midfielder would.

The attacking full-back has become an absolute key position in the modern game (just look at Shaw/Spinazolla/Mæhle being arguably the biggest creators for three out of four Euro semi-finalists), and our right-back is way too limited with the ball. People talk of Trippier as a squad signing. He's significantly better than AWB and will be a starter if he comes.
it’s all about opinions of course and no one knows for sure at this point, but I don’t see that myself.

Gandalf

Hard to imagine we will sign a midfielder unless we suddenly shift a couple out of the door, we may not like the options in the squad but we are not short of bodies and I would imagine the financial side will take the stance that Pereira and at least one other needs to be sold before funds will be released for that area. Trippier is a more sensible signing form that perspective as we have no real cover for the right side and his versatility make him an excellent squad option.

Andersons Dietician

Trippier would be a good addition, but not if we spunk £25m on him, and neglect the Midfield.
How can Ole possibly think its fine to go into such a big season with a pool of Mata, Matic & McFred, it could cost him his job.
It would be alright if it was bargain basement costs like 14 mil or something but at the 30 mil being quoted no thanks.
I’m not sure those options would cost him his job. They’ll be solid enough to get us to challenge in my opinion if the new additions pan out but of course would prefer another body in there.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I think we might also take a player on loan. Loads of big teams struggling financially and they will be happy for us to pay a big earners wages.

Strelok

Imo because Trippier is a nice to have. But a quality DM/MC is a must.

Zoo

Who we thinking? I want it to be Neves but 99% sure that Trippier is set to become our final signing.
Definitely Trippier.

Luke Shaw’s wife has been hanging out with Trippier’s Manchester.

Polar

We need someone to go straight in and improve
the team, ref fight for the title. Camavinga is a great talent, but I’ll be surprised if he’ll make a significant difference already now. Saul is less risky, but still a risk.

Trippier and Neves are the safest bets, and they will likely have immediate impact on the team.

Dreams come true if we manage to close a deal with both of them. Would eventually be the most crazy window ever :eek:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He has 3 years left on his contract, so I don't understand the stories about Wolves being willing to sell him for only 35m. Maybe Wolves are in some financial difficulty that I don't know about -- otherwise, selling him for so little would be crazy.
Remember their whole set-up is less than above board, with the quality of the players they bought in with their super agent.
When that agent decides it's time to move I dare say it's all pre-bargained.

Remember Docherty going to Tottenham for about 15m!