Luckhurst: United prepared to move for a holding midfielder in January

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Harry Kane is the only one fit this "significant" signing level.

worldinmotion66

The way people have turned on AWB on here is so weird when he's clearly improved going forwards. I remember when we were first linked to him I said he wasn't much cop going forward but constantly got swamped with "He used to a winger so he's obviously good at attacking" and "It's only because he's at Palace that you don't see his attacking side"......now when he actually has improved loads of fans want to bin him, and not for a player like Hakimi, but for a solid but average 31 year old.

At any rate I'm hoping it's a midfielder, at this point I don't care if it's Saul, Camavinga or Neves, I'll take any of them as I'm fecking sick of the sight of McFred running around like headless chickens in our midfield.
I agree. I'm more concerned about his inability to defend the back post from crosses. His positioning and aerial ability needs a lot of work. Going forward I think he's improved, he just needs to have a bit more confidence in his own ability and be more decisive on the ball. His ball retention is decent and he's still very young, he will improve every season. I can't imagine he'll be displaced by Trippier, but we should've moved mountains for Hakimi - he'd have completely transformed our side.

OrcaFat

Yeah, I think many people will be surprised to see how much it will improve our play to get a right-back who can attack. I'd argue it will improve us even more than an equally good midfielder would.

The attacking full-back has become an absolute key position in the modern game (just look at Shaw/Spinazolla/Mæhle being arguably the biggest creators for three out of four Euro semi-finalists), and our right-back is way too limited with the ball. People talk of Trippier as a squad signing. He's significantly better than AWB and will be a starter if he comes.
AWB is quite a bit better than your post makes him sound.

If we buy Trippier he will compete with AWB for RB. He will get at least some starts and over a season may possibly play more games than AWB but, personally, I doubt it. AWB played well going forward toward the end of last season; a push from a quality competitor for his place will only spur him on.

Still, though, Trippier would be a great addition to the squad, would contribute plenty and also can cover LB. If we can afford to get him, we should, I think.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The Caf has made up on it’s own that we’re in for Neves.

Bertie Wooster

The two remaining areas to strengthen are obviously RB and CM and I'll be happy with either being addressed.

Provided it's a player of sufficient quality - and the likes of Trippier, Neves, Camavinga, Saul, Goretzka, etc, would qualify as that - then I'll be delighted and it's been an absolutely great window.

Next summer would then be about addressing the other position, and going big with the Cavani, and possibly Pogba, replacement.

HailtotheKing

I agree. I'm more concerned about his inability to defend the back post from crosses. His positioning and aerial ability needs a lot of work. Going forward I think he's improved, he just needs to have a bit more confidence in his own ability and be more decisive on the ball. His ball retention is decent and he's still very young, he will improve every season. I can't imagine he'll be displaced by Trippier, but we should've moved mountains for Hakimi - he'd have completely transformed our side.
Agree, but do you not think the reason AWB's positioning may have been a bit off is because he was covering Lindelof who's not been the best in the air?
I think having Varane instead plus Sancho will make a huge difference to AWB's play in both defence and attack. Not sure if Tripper is needed.Especially with Laird coming through. Prefer the money to be spent on a CDM.

Red_Heisenberg

Come on now, really?

We've finished 2nd and 3rd in the last two seasons with three of those you highlighted playing key roles. While McFred isn't enough for a title charge, it has shown itself to be more than sufficient for Top 4. Add in Sancho and Varane: two players who will be absolutely filling two glaring holes in our squad, which were there last season, and you should be expecting marked improvement, irrespective of the midfield situation. And realistically speaking, as long as we get Top 4, Ole is secure here.

We and he will obviously be targeting more than just Top 4, but for our owners, as long as we get CL qualification, everything is rosy as far as they're concerned.
is top 4 really our ambition this season? We finished runners up last season and have spent over 100 million in transfers this summer, surely we’re expecting more than that?

we should be looking for more than a midfield which is suitable for a top 4 finish, we should be trying to sign someone who can push us to a serious title challenge.

Jacob

Is/has anyone been able to confirm what constitutes as a "significant signing"???
I wouldn't count Camavinga or Trippier as significant. One 31 year old backup RB and an 18 year old unproven Ligue 1 player.

dinostar77

Frenkie De Jong would be awesome. Also get Barcelona close to the €100mil they need to find (transfer fee + wages removed from the books).

That would be a significant signing ( i can only wish).

Bertie Wooster

Is/has anyone been able to confirm what constitutes as a "significant signing"???
I wouldn't count Camavinga or Trippier as significant. One 31 year old backup RB and an 18 year old unproven Ligue 1 player.
I'd count all the ones being suggested on the thread as qualifying for 'significant signings' as I assume the rather broad term is being used for a first team signing - squad or starter - for a decent fee (so not someone like Heaton or Grant).

We've made our two 'big' signings for the summer in Sancho and Varane. 'Significant' in this context just means another signing for the first team squad - akin to the likes of Alex Telles, VDB. It's not going to be another signing of the Sancho and Varane level.

Trippier is a current English International and a regular from the current La Liga champions - he has to count as a 'significant' / relevant signing for the first team squad.

I guess Camavinga is the one that's most debatable because it depends on if he's a signing for this season - in which case he counts as significant - or a signing for the future similar to Amad and Pellistri. I think he'd probably be in and around the first team squad this season if he joined so I'd count him as 'significant' as well. But less so than some of the more experienced midfielders being suggested who are closer to their prime.

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
A back-up right back is not a major signing. Luckhurst is talking out of his arse, in my opinion, or just peddling propaganda for the Glazers once again. He was claiming we were still negotiating with Varane a day or two before he was officially announced as our player when it was patently clear it was about agreeing the fee with Madrid.

Luckhurst embodies the entitlement and delusion of some of these journalists that think that because they work for some rag with more flashy ads on their site than a dodgy Nigerian site that promises a shortcut to unlimited riches, he's somehow smarter and greater than fans. And then goes and blocks anyone who interferes with his little fantasy. Genuinely one of those people I'd love to meet live just so I can ruffle his pathetic feathers with my unrefined opinion.

Bondi77

If we are going to get a fullback then we should go for Aarons as Trippier is too old for that price.
I still think Dalot is still worth another season and maybe alongside Varane he would improve defensively.

Bondi77

Frenkie De Jong would be awesome. Also get Barcelona close to the €100mil they need to find (transfer fee + wages removed from the books).

That would be a significant signing ( i can only wish).
He is a quality player and I would take him in a heartbeat

Knightmare7

is top 4 really our ambition this season? We finished runners up last season and have spent over 100 million in transfers this summer, surely we’re expecting more than that?

we should be looking for more than a midfield which is suitable for a top 4 finish, we should be trying to sign someone who can push us to a serious title challenge.
City literally has two starting XI’s and just dropped 100 million as if it was nothing. The idea we should be favorites or that we should be disappointed if we don’t win the league this year is ridiculous. We’re much closer to filling out the team, but this is an age of super teams.

This isn’t like the old days where you could literally have 3 bang average players in your starting XI and win the league.To compete against the PSG’s, City’s, and Chelsea’s you need to have a complete roster AND depth. Winning the league would be great, but to expect it currently is wrong

Mr PG

Trippier would be a good addition, but not if we spunk £25m on him, and neglect the Midfield.
How can Ole possibly think its fine to go into such a big season with a pool of Mata, Matic & McFred, it could cost him his job.
Come-on guys we probably won’t even need a midfielder because of van der beek… he could end up being much better than anybody we buy.

Eli Zee

The only player we need rn is a midfielder. I hope it's someone solid to displace McTominay. I really rate Fred highly :angel:

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
They need at least a DM can still get by with a full back. They’ve done well this window so will be interesting if this is true.

Womp

idiot
Come-on guys we probably won’t even need a midfielder because of van der beek… he could end up being much better than anybody we buy.
He isn't a defensive midfielder. Now that Matic's legs are gone we don't have an actual DM in the whole squad - instead shoehorning other players into that position.

Scholsey2004

OK, if its just one more major signing then its obviously Trippier. Clearly Pogba isnt going anywhere this summer with the way things have panned out, especially since PSG just signed a marquee player this window on massive wages, so signing a new midfielder probably became less of a priority. Most of the midfield links havent felt like there was much to them anyway and they were frequently touted with the caveat 'if Pogba leaves' which seems to not be the case. People are saying Trippier doesnt feel like a 'significant' signing, but if he isnt how is 18 year old Camavinga who would probably start off deputising for Fred? Or Saul who, unlike Trippier, isnt a regular first choice at Athletico?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It'll be Trippier. We are bad against low block and Trippier's ability to hit first time/touch pass & cross will be good solution for part of the lowblock problem.