Luckhurst: United prepared to move for a holding midfielder in January

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Trippier would be a squad player. You'd never describe that as a significant signing.
How can you call Trippier as squad player when he is above Bissaka & Chilwell in England pecking order and won La Liga as Atl Madrid starting XI player?

To me, you shouldn't buying too much on what people who have their information from the club directly. If the club told Sam ''significant signing'', it's only for purpose to get excited for this signing and we are all know it will be Trippier.

El Presidente

How can you call Trippier as squad player when he is above Bissaka & Chilwell in England pecking order and won La Liga as Atl Madrid starting XI player?
Yeah, I think Trippier developed big time under Simeone, whereas most United fans see him as the average Spurs fullback from years ago.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Trippier would be classed as significant. England regular and La Liga champion.

Withnail

To me, you shouldn't buying too much on what people who have their information from the club directly. If the club told Sam ''significant signing'', it's only for purpose to get excited for this signing and we are all know it will be Trippier.
England places don't count for shit so don't read anything into that.

Unless you think we shouldn't have signed Sancho cos Southgate didn't give him any minutes.

Kramer

Trippier and Neves/Camavinga would be the two deals I'd want to see.
This - exactly this. If we can do this, it will go a long way in strengthening the squad i.e. adding quality to the depth of the squad and should make us serious contendors for a title charge.

Rojofiam

I think we're getting Trippier at the end of the window. Next summer we'll be in for a striker (Haaland) and a DM (I guess Rice? Or maybe someone else)

Flying_Heckfish

Unless you think we shouldn't have signed Sancho cos Southgate didn't give him any minutes.
It's obvious to the sensible, but I guess it still needs pointing out.

For what it's worth, I am behind signing Trippier ~15M as an alternative to AWB when needed, plus the competition factor. But it wouldn't be a "significant" signing - by that logic, Telles was also "significant".

ravi2

My heart wants Camavinga, my head says it'll most likely be Neves.

United in sin

The only thing Trippier excels at is crossing and his short passing game is decent. Ask Spurs fans how they felt about his performances in his last two seasons there. He was actually booed

Malcusss

Doesn't Camavinga prefer some other club? And isn't Neves a figment of our imagination?

Likely Trippier, who wouldn't quite be disappointing, as he provides depth and options, especially with Cavani down the middle, but also wouldn't make anyone stand up in their seats.

The summer has been amazing as is. I know it may feel like it's lost it's sheen due to Messi, Grealish, Kane, Lukaku, etc... But make no mistake, you offer us Sancho, Varane and Trippier 2.5 months ago and we're absolutely biting your hand off.

I just want the football to start.

Alemar

He was in La Liga's team of the season, that's pretty significant.
Significant for Man Utd is someone who will get into starting XI. Trippier isn’t guaranteed that - he provides tactical optionality and rotation

So it may mean someone significant AND Trippier to join - probably Camavinga

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The only thing Trippier excels at is crossing and his short passing game is decent. Ask Spurs fans how they felt about his performances in his last two seasons there. He was actually booed
That's why we need what Trippier excels at to break the lowblock which something we are struggling.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

It counts that he is not squad player. He plays over Chilwell and Bissaka because he has something to offer to be more than just a squad player. If we sign Grealish, Saka or Foden now, I wouldn't call them as squad player since they show they can compete with someone as good as Sancho's quality.

MrSingh2002

We should sign Neves and Pedri and let Pogba go if we get a good fee for him.

Barca are a shit show right now and Pedri can't want to sign a new deal there.

I'd make Barca an offer they can't refuse and take Neves.

Lights Out

I think Trippier would be a great signing. We’d have two top-class attacking full-backs.
But I’ll be amazed if we don’t sign someone to replace Fred this year.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Well it makes perfect logical sense, yes. As the belief is that it will happen nearer deadline day or on deadline day. So if it happens at all, the deal would be one that happens at that stage rather than next week.

He’s not being stupid, so stop acting smarmy, I’m sure he knows how to write articles better than you or I
"It will happen later - if it does happen " - remarkable logic.
Because this is the CAF & because Luckhurst is from MEN & not some place like The Athletic or The Guardian he must be sh*te.
How is Luckhurst not considered a solid source? He litterally travels with the team as a media member. I'm sure he has some direct relationships and sources as opposed to random twitter accounts that don't even reside in Manchester. I've been listening to his podcast since last year and he hasn't really been wrong on anything. He's pessimistic by nature but when we're close to signing someone he confirm things

Replace Fred? The disrespect to our own players never ceases to amaze me.
I think Trippier would be a great signing. We’d have two top-class attacking full-backs.
But I’ll be amazed if we don’t sign someone to replace Fred this year.

Red_Heisenberg

City literally has two starting XI’s and just dropped 100 million as if it was nothing. The idea we should be favorites or that we should be disappointed if we don’t win the league this year is ridiculous. We’re much closer to filling out the team, but this is an age of super teams.

This isn’t like the old days where you could literally have 3 bang average players in your starting XI and win the league.To compete against the PSG’s, City’s, and Chelsea’s you need to have a complete roster AND depth. Winning the league would be great, but to expect it currently is wrong
I didn’t say I expect us to win the title, I said I expect us to mount a better title challenge than last season, i.e us still being in the race further than Christmas.

we’ve just signed 2 world class players and are apparently about to sign a third significant signing, anything other than improvement in the league or a major trophy in my opinion would warrant a sacking for the manager.

Castia

I really hope we go all in for Camavinga he will be a top signing

Zen86

This is guaranteed to be underwhelming. If we’re in for a player, the whole world usually knows it weeks in advance.

the_answer

Definitely need an improvement in cm/dm.
Danilo from PSG looked perfect, sadly rather unavailable.

A low key prospect that we could try would be Julian Weigl. Kind of a one-trick pony, but very good at his key strengths which are similiar to Busquets, Jorginho or Carrick.
Could help us dominate the midfield against the bottom half of the league and be supported by combative Fred or Scott. Should be cheap also.

Castia

This is guaranteed to be underwhelming. If we’re in for a player, the whole world usually knows it weeks in advance.
Well there’s a few names that have floated around all summer like Camavinga, Trippier, Neves, Saul etc either one of those players added to the squad (prefer a midfielder tbh) after Sancho and Varane would be a really nice bonus.

The problem is we seem to fecking suck at selling players, the likes of Pereira and Lingard should have been gone weeks ago and that money used to sign a new midfielder.

Lights Out

Replace Fred? The disrespect to our own players never ceases to amaze me.
Why is it disrespectful to say that? But yes - he is nowhere near good enough if we are serious about challenging for titles.

The blind loyalty to whoever wears a red shirt never ceases to amaze me either.

Last edited:

rotherham_red

is top 4 really our ambition this season? We finished runners up last season and have spent over 100 million in transfers this summer, surely we’re expecting more than that?

we should be looking for more than a midfield which is suitable for a top 4 finish, we should be trying to sign someone who can push us to a serious title challenge.
Read my post again. Specifically where I said ours and Ole's targets are going to be higher and our owners' targets are much different.

We've seen a clear pattern since SAF left, that as soon as a manager is mathematically out of the CL spots, he's out of his job (Jose being the exception to this as he threatened to burn the club to a cinder at the end).

That is not going to change, irrespective of the funds that he's been furnished with. It didn't change for Jose when he splurged the best part of 400m in two years, and neither did it for LvG who had his Gaalaticos.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
The signing will be significant (click, click) and therefore go for a tidy sum. Not in the least bit messy, you tireless muppets (click, click).

Ladron de redcafe

That's what I'm dreading. Hype isn't always a good thing because people start to build expectations that won't be satisfied by anything other than a player of the stature that people's minds start envisioning.

Lentwood

I wouldn't count Camavinga or Trippier as significant. One 31 year old backup RB and an 18 year old unproven Ligue 1 player.
In what World are they not significant? The wording of that statement is intended to mean "a first team player".

United will make signings all the time for the Academy, they would generally not be considered "significant".

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Luckhurst said it's pretty much likely to be Trippier in the following tweet.